RSA Group

RSA Group Chief Executive Officer Stephen Hester

Stephen Hester

RSA - Pro & Cons

I have been working at RSA Group

ProsGood place to work if you're a working parent, as they highly support commitments outside of work, very supportive of charitable causes, people do the right thing, all stakeholders are considered

Conspace of change is slow, sometimes too many rounds of stakeholder consultations results to inaction or lack of decisive action, doesn't seem to be very time-scale driven, more importance placed on getting it right the first time than getting it done at all.

Advice to Senior Managementif you're a junior person, then it will be a challenge to get visibility at the top. there is a large disconnect between the junior management and the top management as there are a lot of middle management hoops to go through

Life of an Insurance Claim Representative

Insurance Claim Representative (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at RSA Group

ProsNice environment, friendly staff. Great job and fab opportunities. Free drinks, clean toilets. Based in a nice town called Horsham

ConsOutdated computer equipment. Often ended up working past 6 pm. The town though nice offers little in terms of entertainment

Advice to Senior ManagementLess late nights would keep up moral. Perhaps a bit more variety for Claims Representatives. I didn't have an appraisal in two years!

Too many changes

Underwriting Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at RSA Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a 300 year old company so has a good brand in the industry. Bonuses are great when the company is doing well.

ConsRSA does not value its employees. Recently laid off lots of people and many forced to retire early.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue those that have potential, not those that have been there for 30 years but do not know what they are doing.

Redundant work with no direction from the top

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at RSA Group full-time

ProsDowntown Location
One of the oldest known Insurance companies

ConsProjects were initiated with no end goal leading to dissatisfaction with the outcomes.
Tardiness and lack of professionalism

Advice to Senior ManagementNon cooperation between teams is ingrained in company culture. People still do things the old way. New and fresh ideas need to be implemented.

Beware if you are 50 or over..(Canadian office)

I have been working at RSA Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking from home, good benefits, gym membership, social activities, charity-driven.

ConsSenior management doesn't care, or even bother to make themselves visible. There's a lot of talk about "doing the right thing", but if you're 50 or over, or a long term employee, prepare to have your salary red-lined or be demoted. I found out too late that loyalty means nothing...

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some interest in your long term staff - we are baby boomers who respect your authority and expertise. We look up to you for leadership. Please don't alienate us because we are over 50. We have so much to contribute.

Poor Senior Management and Leadership Team

Full Time Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at RSA Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou get the opportunity to be involved in a lot of projects and gain valuable work experience.
Compensation is adequate, had max bonus for past 7 years.

ConsVery political environment, people who are promoted are talkers, but poor technically.
Management is afraid of losing their jobs, so don't hire skilled individuals from competitors.
Lots of staff been there for 20+ years, and company afraid to lay them off. Even if they are incapable of doing their jobs
No bonus expected for years to come.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring top talent from Competitors. Stop interviewing them, then being afraid that they may replace you. A strong team will produce strong results. Can't just grow from acquisitions, sooner or later, the business results will matter. Can't release any more reserves, so time to get focussed on profitability. Not just unprofitable growth.

RSA Employer Review

Balance Sheet Accountant (Current Employee)
Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at RSA Group

ProsFlexible working hours, Profit Share Bonus, Central Liverpool Location, Support in gaining professional qualifications, Plenty of opportunities to move around between teams and departments.

ConsLack of upward progression, perceived favouritism when promoting within. Poor systems and processes. Lack of communication within and between teams. Relatively low salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more transparency when offering promotions and transfers. Look to improve existing processes and systems to enable better reporting and information gathering.

Awful company, low pay, look elsewhere!

Trading Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at RSA Group

ProsAbility to pick up additional FINRA licenses, 9-5 job, 2 weeks vacation, 3 discretionary days, and easy work per day

Consthe pay is extremely low! a 1% raise!? i know the economy is bad, but that is absurd! people who have less education make more $ than those who do.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying your employees more for the job they have done. demote people who are incapable of performing for the job.

Ordinary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at RSA Group

ProsDevelopment opportunities exist for new joinees

ConsToo much stakeholder management
People afraid to take decisions
Employees could be sacrificed for meeting bottomline results

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid Politicking and favouritism
Aim for organic growth
Do not sacrifice employees for meeting business results- will not help in the long run

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at RSA Group

Pros- flex days, life balance days, time off

Cons- Micro managed, lower end on the pay scale

Advice to Senior Management- Empower employees to make risk selection

Worked for RSA Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RSA Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RSA Group CEO Stephen Hester. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by RSA Group employees.