RSC Holdings

Branch Manager

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Ames, IA

I have been working at RSC Holdings

Pros

A very positive environment for all employees. There are opportunities for advancement with in the company. I would encourage others to seek employment there.

Cons

The salary was not competitive to comparable industries or job classifications. There is a very high amount of turnover as well as long hours. 70 to 80 hours is not uncommon.

Senior management needs to be more competitive with the pricing structure of the company in order to effectively compete. The strategy of differentiation will not work in this industry as long as the product is exactly the same as its competitors.

Unrewarding

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at RSC Holdings

Pros

You can make good money if you have the right territory and store manager. We have the best lead geration system and computer software in the industry. Provide nice company trucks and expense accounts.

Cons

Micro managed to death. Unable to match competitive prices even for customers with 1 mil. in yearly spending. Red Tape= way to much reporting and not enough gray areas to help the customer. I.E. Training for customers takes 8 hours and 250.00 dollars where as other companies can do it in 30 minutes for free.

Way to much management. We could be twice as profitable if we would just cut management by half. The truth is we need to cut management by 2/3rds. Way to many agendas proposed as the "Flavor of the month" We should have a yearly or quarterly agenda and stick to it. Match prices for large customers. We have continually lost market share and turned loyal customers away based on managements preconcieved notion that they will continue to use us because we are RSC. Quit hiring people without industry knowledge. They do not do an adequate job. Promote from within and don't always base your descion on wether or not someone has a degree. Some people did not have an oppurtunity to go to college but the 15-20 years of industry knowledge can be way more useful than some 22 year old kid fresh out of college without any experience.

Don't have an accident

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  New Castle, DE
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in New Castle, DE

I worked at RSC Holdings

Pros

Salary is good. Benefits are good. Can be fun at times. Great experienece in managining larger businesses. Sales reps are paid very well!

Cons

If you get into an accident w/in your first year of employment, you're gone! Senior management is insane and cutting jobs left and right. You work with nothing!

Get some real experience and stop hiring everyone from the car rental business. The two have nothing to do with eachother! Eric needs to get a life. He's the reason I lost my job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RSC is pretty good.

I have been working at RSC Holdings

Pros

You get to learn about all different types of heavy machinery and get sales experience with huge industrial companies. Also there are great benefit packages and employees are very team oriented.

Cons

There is alot of time spent sitting at a desk answering the telephone. Some times is seems to more like a secretary position than a sales position.

From what I've seen promotion seems to come from outside the company. It kind of seems as though there is little potential for growth for new employees.

RSC is A O.K.

Former Employee - Territory Manager  in  Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Rockford, IL

I worked at RSC Holdings

Pros

Working in the outdoors, education reimbursement, free use of most rental equipment, get to drive bulldozers, excavators, forklifts, manlifts, scissor lifts and backhoes. Outside sales get Ford 4x4 pickup trucks to drive around in all day. Managment is very transparent with the books, every employee knows exactly how the company is doing and what their contribution is.

Cons

extremely long hours during the summer, calls in the middle of the night on weekends during bad weather, upper management's annual winter "freakout" when rentals slow down, when I was there it was very difficult to calculate your monthly commissions, supposedly fixed now under the current compensation plan.

recognized that this business is cyclical. Share equipment between neighboring regions.

Solid company. You'll work your tail-off. Stamina required.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at RSC Holdings

Pros

The senior management seems to know where the company needs to go to achieve continued growth; both organically and via acquisitions... the company will be there for the long haul.

Cons

The hours required for keeping the customers needs satisfied are grueling. IF you are salaried, expect to put in 60- to 70-hours per week. IF you are hourly, expect to have a heavy work load and constant hounding regarding keeping OT to a minimum.

Treat people with dignity and respect. Allow for adequate staffing to meet the business needs without draining your personnel resource... turnover is more costly than pinching these pennies.

"And The Oscar Goes Too"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at RSC Holdings

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. You can transfer and work anywhere in the country. After one year you can receive educational assistance towards your degree.

Cons

The hours are way to long. When it comes to promotions the good ol boy system is firmly entrenched. The District Managers will shield everything fro HR.

Trust your Managers and ask them for their advice before putting policy into place. Raise the pay for the hourly people.

No chance for promotion

Current Employee - Mechanic
    Current Employee - Mechanic

I have been working at RSC Holdings

Pros

The benefits are decent..Thats about it.

Cons

Uneven pay and pay is not based on experience.No chance for promotion.Aging equipment and not near enough mechanics to do the work...Impossible numbers to meet.Micro managed and a waste of money having too many chiefs looking over your shoulder.Poor to NO training for newer mechanics.5S is a joke..Most stores have 1-3 mechanics and they can't possibly try to run and set the shop up like a toyota car shop.Management is out of touch and seems to have no clue ..company stresses preventative maintenance yet they have no PM mechanics,no service managers, etc etc.The only way to meet the numbers is to pencil whip the info as it's otherwise impossible.Most shops are old and small.Maintenance and down equipment seems to be the number 1 priority with the company,yet they only hire inside and outside sales,,no mechanics,,Why in the world does an inside sales rep need a college degree?? LOL..I just hope the economy turns soon so I can find a better place to work..And NO,,I'd never recommend working at RSC if your a mechanic..

Tired of writing,,but theres so much more..See above..

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at RSC Holdings

Pros

If you are in a good area (high construction), you will be well compensated. Pretty relaxed atmosphere when business is good. Very flexible with you personal needs/time. Very good National base of customers. Mostly depends on managers, (I had three) but NOT micro-managed. Let you get the job done for the most part.

Cons

Not very well organized from the top down. Always throw out new targets of action, but never follow up on them. Makes you realize that no one looks at the results after a month. This is very frustrating if you are the kind of person who cares about doing well. If you get stuck in a poor territory you will not make that much money. A better explaination is you could just make $40K while another guy at your store could make $100K. Can be a pretty aggravating when you spend the same amount of hours in the field as that guy/girl, but they make twice as much as you.

Continue not to mico-manage your employees, salesmen hate that. Make sure that you have the right guys in the field, then make sure that you have the areas divided up evenly.

Worked for RSC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!