RTGX Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014

Kathlyn Adams

They Go the extra mile

I have been working at RTGX

Pros

They really work hard to keep you employed when other firms just lay you off. I have seen employees leave and come back and some retire.

Cons

Challenges are not unique, the Government market is in a down turn and they still manage to push forward and diversify - but it's tough out there - these guys stay on top of things.

Keep working hard to diversify and expand to create more opportunity. Leverage the great brand you have to your benefit and that of the employees

A great place to learn the type of company you DON'T want to work for

I worked at RTGX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small company with mostly friendly people. Potentially a good place to learn some new skills related to skills you already have, but you'll need to learn on your own because they won't train you.

Cons

If you're a family member of one of the owners of the company then you'll be fine, but everyone else will have little or no opportunity for career advancement. Top management is concerned only with money and how they can get more of it. As far as I can tell from LinkedIn, a very high percentage of the people I worked with have also left, so there is apparently a retention problem (except of course for the family members).

Treat your employees like people rather than just factors to your bottom line. Pay people what they're actually worth and offer more competitive benefits.

Sep 14, 2014V.P.

We always appreciate constructive feedback at RTGX. We have a work force that approaches 200 in worldwide locations. Companies are like most large families, you have agreements, disagreements ... More

Exposure to many technologies with on-the-job learning.

I have been working at RTGX as a contractor

Pros

Even as an expert in some areas of IT, I had opportunities to learn new skills from my on-site team members. The contractor benefits package is also good.

Cons

Contractor rates can be on the low side compared to the rates paid by other companies in my area for those with similar IT experience and certifications.

Stay engaged with your contractors. Consider paying your contractors for additional training and certification (on their own time) in their job related areas. That will be a win/win, with lower turnover and recruitment costs for RTGX, and increasing contractor skills and positive client feedback.

Thanks for getting me in, but I'm already ready to go on to better.

Current Employee - Network Controller in Scott AFB, IL

I have been working at RTGX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ok organization, allowed me to get into the career field.

Cons

Compensation is on the low side. Career progression is limited. Benefits or ok, room for improvement.

You will not retain quality long term personnel with the light compensation in competitive areas.

Sep 14, 2014V.P.

Comments are greatly appreciated. We will certainly pass along the comments to our Government customer about how pricing impacts our staff working those lower cost programs that are considered ... More

Good First Job, but not a career

Former Employee - Network Controller in Scott AFB, IL
    Former Employee - Network Controller in Scott AFB, IL

I worked at RTGX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great experience in the computer networking field. I worked in a dying technology, but you are surrounded by technologies that will give you good skills for your next job. If you try to learn as much as you can, this will be a good place first step in your career in the field. Co-workers were great and the Ross management were friendly.

Cons

Low pay for the computer networking market. Nobody from RTGX got a raise while I was there. 12 hour shifts which required you to work every other weekend Fri-Sun. There is very little manpower which requires a huge workload, almost impossible. Lockheed Martin, the main contractor seems to be a little over their heads when it comes to managing this contract. Lockheed management is very distant from those in the NOC, not understanding the environment and not appreciating everything we actually did. Ross management was very hard to get ahold of. This is lot a place to spend your career, just start it.

Pay the workers for what they are actually worth. Hire enough people to handle the workload and get them off the 12 hour shifts. Listen to what the employees have to say and actually try to make an effort to change for the better. It's not their fault you didn't know what you were bidding on, so stop taking shortages out of their pockets.

Sep 14, 2014V.P.

Thanks for the comments, we will certainly pass them on to all concerned. After more than 12 years of a contract operating the same way and with pricing representative of past enthusiasm for ... More

Great

Current Employee - Network Systems Administrator in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Network Systems Administrator in Charleston, SC

I have been working at RTGX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The program manger that I work with is tops.

Cons

The pay rate does seem to be a little low

GSM-O controller not what it is use to be

Current Employee - Network Controller in Scott AFB, IL

I have been working at RTGX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are a good company to start out with and get your feet wet, with a normal benefits package.

Cons

Pay scale is low, never meet me supervisor, and professional assistance is nil.

Management need to focus on employees at all location, and keep employee informed.

Typical Defense Contractor

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in North Charleston, SC

I worked at RTGX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not too big to be impersonal, no too small to be limited.
    Good upward mobility via the "Et Tu Brutus?" program
    Communicates well over distance. Which is what you want

Cons

Project Manager often lack technical skills and don't understand technicians
    Mediocre Benefits.
    Well FedEx you a chocolate bar at Christmas, so it's not a bonus.
    No profit sharing or rewards for quality work
    Often will involve competing firms in the work and put them over you in projects.

Without your technical staff and professionals, your company is a warehouse full of equipment no one can use.

Sep 14, 2014V.P.

Thanks for the feedback, The North Charleston, SC work is good work but certainly not a long term career track. You were part of one of the efforts in the market place with some of the tough cost ... More

Nice small company

Current Employee - Information Assurance Engineer in Scott AFB, IL
    Current Employee - Information Assurance Engineer in Scott AFB, IL

I have been working at RTGX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very hands on management that has selected their supervisors carefully to have the best team they can.

Cons

Company is small so they don't benifet from the power of a large company

Sep 14, 2014V.P.

Thanks for the compliment on our management style. We try hard believe me. You like so many others on this site work or worked the toughest of tough programs with the low cost technically ... More

RTGX Photos

Great work environment
Attractive for employee and customer meetings
HQ Offices