RTI International Metals

Be The First To
Add Photos

RTI International Metals Vice Chairman and CEO Dawne S. Hickton

Dawne S. Hickton

RTI is on ok place to work, but like many places there is a ton of nepotism.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsOverall a friendly environment. Good pay but you must negotiate on the way in. Management is overall pretty good at their jobs.

ConsNepotism run rampant. Many good employees are disheartened by bad employees have little to no consequences.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with employees and stop playing favorites. Also understand that people have home lives and the company is the livelihood of the employees not their lives.

Masters of Age Discrimination

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Niles, OH

ProsBefore recent management came it was an excellent place to work. Salaried employees could work pretty much unhindered from micro-management. Pay was very good, great benefits and weekends were mostly free for family time. There are many good workers in the Niles plant, salaried and union, whom I've had the pleasure and privilege to work with and to know. They made it what it is - er, was.

ConsWithin the last 2 years, however, it has been nothing less that a continual hiring of executive "officers" who are thinking, not just outside the box, but outside the universe. Root cause is never addressed properly and quality is expected to pick up the slack. Hourly personnel purposely fail to fix problems upstream because they get "incentive pay" for fixing the problems later. And management doesn't have the backbone to fix it. Plus the equipment is pretty much "not-state-of-the-art". It's a sad indictment on a company that was once a proud family of industrialists. Now, it's all about Corporate greed. Imagine that.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending all your money on hiring corporate executives and start re-investing it on much needed equipment. Also, when people come to you and recommend who are the good workers and how to use them...LISTEN. Oh and by the way, why is that President Dawne Hickton never visits any of the facilities she represents but only stays in her Pittsburgh ivory castle and won't dirty her shoes with the people who have make her such a tremendous salary each year? Oh, never mind. I think I just answered my own question.

poor leadership

Melt Shop (Current Employee) Niles, OH

ProsWe have a profit sharing plan in place which is fair and reasonable. You have the ability to bid into other departments and learn new skills.

ConsWe use old equipment and their is no preventive maintenance so the equipment tends to breakdown frequently and parts are sometimes hard to comeby.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of buying companies that lose money, a better business model would be to purchase companies that supply the raw materials needed to produce the titanium such as titanium sponge and scrap. That way you can control your cost and even sell it to your competitors. I do understand the company expanding and entering new markets as I believe this vital to our future, but I do not understand why we do not own our own sponge and scrap facilities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was to be my final job but things didn't work out that way.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company likes to promote from within. They have a strong backing and can survive a long time based on some good decisions made by its board and upper management.

ConsThey need to improve on consistent accountability. Some employees are still employed through the hard work of others. The anonymous hotline is a good source but has been taken overboard by reports with limited validity and not applicable to ethical violations as originally set up. The incentive and bonus plans really never paid out too much and should be a limited selling point for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to exit interviews and set up improvement plans. RTI has lost their share of good employees due to inconsistencies within the system and holding on to ineffective employees. RTI should also hire HR PROFESSIONALS at some of their locations because there is a lack of professionalism as well as consistency in some cases.

so so place all depends on you position

Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Proseasy to start they hire through a hiring agency and they take almost anyone.

Consthey hire through a hiring agency and they take almost anyone. lack of decisiveness in management

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being afraid to make decisions and try not to make promises that you cant honer it breaks employees trust and is bad for both parties.

Stretched to thin

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Niles, OH

ProsMoney is ok co workers will lend a hand when helpbis needed

ConsToo many bosses not enough workers to meet the unrealistic expecations of management can not talk to bosses or hr for fear of being fired...has happened inthe past 6months...come on execs if u see multiple people leaving in one area(7people in 2months)could something be wrong in area maybe the management...I would no stars if possible for career advanced

Advice to Senior ManagementWe don't need 3 bosses where one REALLY qulified would do the job then we can get one direction to move instead of power struggles the only affect the lower worker

Research, research, research before jumping onto this bandwagon.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros1. Everyone in the chain of command was accessible.
    2. Fair/Decent compensation for both exempt/non-exempt staff.
    3. Generally nice people to work with.

Cons1. Everyone in the chain of command was too accessible (the chain typically not followed).
    2. Turnover and reorganizations (stability?).
    3. Too much of an entitlement culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementSingular management vision of team would allow for the wheat to grow and the chaff be sent to the wind.

Good potential future awaits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hamilton, MS

ProsFuture planning good, actionable controls needs improvement, leadership okay

Consneeds some stronger middle management

Not my best job ever

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGreat work life balance and benefits
    Great mission and you're golden if you're a research scientist with key skills

ConsPay is low comparitively
    Micro Management is an issue
    Lack of leadership shown by many in management staff but not all

Company is okay

Business Process Analysis (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsPeople are the best with this company

ConsCulture and Management is very weak

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of the sane

Worked for RTI International Metals? Contribute to the Community!