RTI International Metals

Dawne S. Hickton

Stretched to thin

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Money is ok co workers will lend a hand when helpbis needed

Cons

Too many bosses not enough workers to meet the unrealistic expecations of management can not talk to bosses or hr for fear of being fired...has happened inthe past 6months...come on execs if u see multiple people leaving in one area(7people in 2months)could something be wrong in area maybe the management...I would no stars if possible for career advanced

We don't need 3 bosses where one REALLY qulified would do the job then we can get one direction to move instead of power struggles the only affect the lower worker

Hostile

Former Employee - Employee  in  Laval, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Employee in Laval, QC (Canada)

I worked at RTI International Metals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

easy travel, big parking, picnic tables outside.

Cons

exploit, over work, under pay, harras, pressure, treat unfairly and hostile environment. No leadership, management or decision makers, stale and unfriendly people work there, if you know whats good for you stay away from this crazy place.

change Management

Masters of Age Discrimination

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Niles, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH

I worked at RTI International Metals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Before recent management came it was an excellent place to work. Salaried employees could work pretty much unhindered from micro-management. Pay was very good, great benefits and weekends were mostly free for family time. There are many good workers in the Niles plant, salaried and union, whom I've had the pleasure and privilege to work with and to know. They made it what it is - er, was.

Cons

Within the last 2 years, however, it has been nothing less that a continual hiring of executive "officers" who are thinking, not just outside the box, but outside the universe. Root cause is never addressed properly and quality is expected to pick up the slack. Hourly personnel purposely fail to fix problems upstream because they get "incentive pay" for fixing the problems later. And management doesn't have the backbone to fix it. Plus the equipment is pretty much "not-state-of-the-art". It's a sad indictment on a company that was once a proud family of industrialists. Now, it's all about Corporate greed. Imagine that.

Stop spending all your money on hiring corporate executives and start re-investing it on much needed equipment. Also, when people come to you and recommend who are the good workers and how to use them...LISTEN. Oh and by the way, why is that President Dawne Hickton never visits any of the facilities she represents but only stays in her Pittsburgh ivory castle and won't dirty her shoes with the people who have make her such a tremendous salary each year? Oh, never mind. I think I just answered my own question.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

poor leadership

Current Employee - Melt Shop  in  Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Melt Shop in Niles, OH

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We have a profit sharing plan in place which is fair and reasonable. You have the ability to bid into other departments and learn new skills.

Cons

We use old equipment and their is no preventive maintenance so the equipment tends to breakdown frequently and parts are sometimes hard to comeby.

Instead of buying companies that lose money, a better business model would be to purchase companies that supply the raw materials needed to produce the titanium such as titanium sponge and scrap. That way you can control your cost and even sell it to your competitors. I do understand the company expanding and entering new markets as I believe this vital to our future, but I do not understand why we do not own our own sponge and scrap facilities.

so so place all depends on you position

Current Employee - Maintenance Planner  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Houston, TX

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time for less than a year

Pros

easy to start they hire through a hiring agency and they take almost anyone.

Cons

they hire through a hiring agency and they take almost anyone. lack of decisiveness in management

Quit being afraid to make decisions and try not to make promises that you cant honer it breaks employees trust and is bad for both parties.

Research, research, research before jumping onto this bandwagon.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Everyone in the chain of command was accessible.
    2. Fair/Decent compensation for both exempt/non-exempt staff.
    3. Generally nice people to work with.

Cons

1. Everyone in the chain of command was too accessible (the chain typically not followed).
    2. Turnover and reorganizations (stability?).
    3. Too much of an entitlement culture.

Singular management vision of team would allow for the wheat to grow and the chaff be sent to the wind.

Not my best job ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at RTI International Metals

Pros

Great work life balance and benefits
    Great mission and you're golden if you're a research scientist with key skills

Cons

Pay is low comparitively
    Micro Management is an issue
    Lack of leadership shown by many in management staff but not all

The Pros are Cons

Current Employee - Continuous Improvement
    Current Employee - Continuous Improvement

I have been working at RTI International Metals

Pros

If you are an under performer then this a great place for you, rarely are people held accountable for results.

Cons

Work is demanding, they expect things to get done even without the support that is need to accomplish the task, but end the end see the Pros.

They talk a good game of change and improvement, but rarely is this what actually happens. Resources, budgets, and personal whims get in the way of actual results. Overall I would say we are run to much like a steel company worried at any moment the bottom will dropout and unwilling to take risk. By not taking calculated risk we then end up opening ourselves up to un-calculated risk.

Pay should be increased and valuable employees should be shown they are valuable. Non-performers should be coach/trained or removed...it should not be expected for the performers just to pick up the slack.

Great, until I made someone with many more years upset

Current Employee - Melt Shop  in  Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Melt Shop in Niles, OH

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time for more than a year

Pros

We are a union shop, which in many ways is excellent. Better pay than almost anywhere around, and most jobs you get incentive. If you are new and have questions , the guys are more than willing to amswer/show/help and guide new employees. Health benefits are next to government, so if you have a family, it's AMAZING, profit sharing is also a good thing.

Cons

Every dirty, no preventative maintenance, pretty much ever. Using out dated equipment usually and if it's not running right the answer is almost always "run it till it breaks", everything and I mean EVERYTHING is "fixed" with duct tape, safety is preached as more important than quantity but in the real work environment it is really quantity over safety. Good luck if you made an enemy out of a guy who has 20+ years. You will be harassed. When union forces person to stop, they will get management within department to harass you, write ups for things that are not true and always have several management witnesses that we never actually there to witness anything or are willing to lie about what they "witnessed" and IF you are lucky you will still have your job but harassment will continue, unending and without repercussions for those harassing you. It's definitely a HUGE gossip/rumor mill. If it wasn't for having a family to support and health insurance being so good and the pay I would have been gone 1.5 yrs ago when harassment first started and nothing was done about it. We were told new methods for producing our titanium and our Canton plant up and running would INCREASE our profit sharing however, we have seen a humongous DECREASE instead. No one likes or appreciates being lied to.

PAY MORE ATTENTION TO THE NILES PLANT! Especially HR and Melt Shop management! They condone harassment, play favorites and actually pick on the victims! That aside as a company we need to be more self sufficient. We need to own our own sponge and scrap companies, and we need to get a bigger share of the market for titanium! Niles plant needs more employees, PM to actually be done, and to stop fixing EVERYTHING with duct tape. Someone is going to end up getting seriously injured if not killed if this practice continues!!! Come through the plant, talk to EVERY worker, actually listen and take our advice. We are the ones who are on the floor everyday doing these jobs, we know better than management what is going on with our equipment/areas.

RTI is on ok place to work, but like many places there is a ton of nepotism.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time

Pros

Overall a friendly environment. Good pay but you must negotiate on the way in. Management is overall pretty good at their jobs.

Cons

Nepotism run rampant. Many good employees are disheartened by bad employees have little to no consequences.

Be honest with employees and stop playing favorites. Also understand that people have home lives and the company is the livelihood of the employees not their lives.

Worked for RTI International Metals? Contribute to the Community!