RTI International
www.rti.org Research Triangle Park, NC 1000 to 5000 Employees

RTI International Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
RTI International – Research Triangle Park – “LEED Gold-certified building on RTI”

RTI International President & CEO E. Wayne Holden

E. Wayne Holden

Pros:
  • "There are many progressive initiatives with respect to the employee and accommodating the Work / Life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Very flexible, good benefits, many potential collaborators within the organization"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Depending on your position, difficult to maintain work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Lack of respect for non-graduate degree holders -- see previous sentence"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working with a Purpose

Environmental Engineer (Current Employee)
Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than a year

ProsRTI International is a great place for people who wish to pursue a meaningful career. As an engineer, I never imagined that I could use my expertise to aid in projects which touch so many disciplines (human health and exposure, regulatory affairs, etc) on an international scale. RTI offers great benefits for employees and allows its employees flexibility in their working schedule. The culture is friendly and nurtures innovation.

ConsAs a non-profit, RTI generally pays lower than an equivalent commercial position.

Flexible and engaging work, but demanding for Sr staff on team. Great team dynamics, limited financial upside

Senior Research Engineer (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRTI has a collegial and supportive culture, the work is always different and interesting. Working for a mission driven organization has its upsides. Lots of opportunities and support to learn new things. The organizational structures are pretty flat - you boss could work on a project for you - and there tends to be very little politics in our group. If you want to work internationally there are opportunities.

ConsWorking as a consulting group within a non-profit institute puts some constraints on the ability to take risk, grow the business. There are no commissions or bonuses. Within in the centers there are limited opportunities for big promotion because the org structures are flat.

Ok company if you have a PhD

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at RTI International full-time for more than a year

ProsNo upward mobility; nothing outside of your desk

ConsSome Directors are surprisingly rude and insensitive to human issues.

Matrix Management Ensures Infighting

Director (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at RTI International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are early or mid-career than you can think of RTI as SAIC-Lite. A government contractor small enough that you can probably move from project to project easily.

ConsRTI has matrix management on top project management. So you need four dimensional space to understand where you are. It also does the 360-review, poorly! You can have people you interacted with very little reviewing you. Also, even though RTI is not an "up and out" company, people use the annual review process to "get even" with others. Also, things were so screwed up when I was there, I didn't even know who my supervisor was and it was a surprise at who did the review!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the review process quick and simple. Also make sure that everybody knows who works for whom. Adjust salaries based on merit and seniority. If a person is running a $20,000,000.00 project, then understand the government trusted them - Sr. management should as well instead of bringing in a "project manager" which and impede work and act as spy.

Large Research Organization

I have been working at RTI International full-time

ProsRTI contains both non-profit and for-profit departments, so it offers wide variety of work and people. It is very diverse and most people are respectful and professional. Work schedules are fairly flexible, which is great!

ConsThere are many different business units within the organization, so if you want to get to know the whole organization, it would require extra effort to assertively seek out network beyond one's comfort/cubicle zone.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management people are fair, professional, and understanding (based on my experience).

Good people; good company

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible work schedule; friendly atmosphere; passionate colleagues.

ConsSlow to innovate and adopt necessary change resulting in systems and operations being a bit out of date.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the abundance of hierarchy. Consider a more meritocratic approach.

A good place to work

I have been working at RTI International

Prosgreat people and relatively flexible job schedule

Conshaving to enter time on a daily basis is a bit painful

Overall good.

I have been working at RTI International full-time

ProsVery flexible, good benefits, many potential collaborators within the organization.

Conshard to grow and develop outside of expertise because of time keeping system and requirements to stay sold on projects

Advice to Senior Managementprovide professional development training for selling our potential

Average Field Interviewer Positions

Field Interviewer (Former Employee)

I worked at RTI International as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsIf you like working as an FI, you already know the pluses: Flexible schedule, ever-changing challenges, and working with people.

ConsWorking for RTI (through Headway) is an average experience. The hourly rate varies by study, but is typically lower than than offered by competitors. The professionalism of FMs seems to vary capriciously, and FIs can be at the bottom of a very hungry food chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring hourly rates more in line with competitors'. Use a more transparent and consistent approach to selecting FMs and RMs.

My esperience was great

I have been working at RTI International

ProsExcellent company to work for.

ConsNOt very professional when downsizing employees

Worked for RTI International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RTI International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RTI International CEO E. Wayne Holden. All 98 reviews posted anonymously by RTI International employees.