RTI International Reviews

133 reviews filtered by
3.6
RTI International President & CEO E. Wayne Holden
E. Wayne Holden

Pros
  • Work life balance is achievable in this organization (in 12 reviews)

• Very flexible, good benefits, many potential collaborators within the organization (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of respect for non-graduate degree holders -- see previous sentence (in 5 reviews)

• No work life balance: expect 12-15 hour days 6 days a week 12 months a year with no overtime pay (in 5 reviews)

Great place to work

I worked at RTI International

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement and professional development. Coworkers are typically highly-skilled and passionate about their careers.

Cons

Lots of individual projects means there are lots of individual bosses, and they're not all equally skilled supervisors or project managers. The RTI experience depends greatly on your project-based personnel, but then again this is typical of any large research organization.

None.

2. Data Collection Specialist

Former Employee - Data Collector in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Data Collector in Raleigh, NC

I worked at RTI International

Pros

Flexibility in getting work out . pleasant admostphere

Cons

too much unrealistic golds, and too much nonprofessional team leads

practice confidentiality for co-workers

Great compensation

Current Employee - Field Interviewer/Data Collection Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer/Data Collection Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RTI International

Pros

This is a great company to work for. I have worked for them on and off from 1993-99 and, after being laid-off from another similar company in 2011, I found myself back at this wonderful company. Even though it is only p/t, they pay very well and you are reimbursed for mileage. If you enjoy talking to people (No sales), like being outdoors and don't mind knocking on a few doors every day to gain cooperation this would be a great fit for you!

Cons

The only downside to this job is that sometimes there is a lot of local travel and odd hours.

great company to work for

Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RTI International

Pros

I can work part time. These surveys are short in duration and the people are great to work for

Cons

You can be chosen for any study

Call earlier and let us know who you selected for the job

Analyst

I worked at RTI International

Pros

Great work environment with tremendous team work values.

Cons

Didn't seem like there was much room for growth.

I have had a mostly positive experience at RTI.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Durham, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, good benefits, room for growth.

Cons

Most of RTI's client's are within the Federal government which can be a headache.
    RTI is a great place for researchers which makes sense being it is a research institution.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Web Developer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, flexible time, friendly coworkers and beautiful campus.

Cons

For people are good in technical skills but not interested in management, the growth is limited.

Scientific stature doesn't apply to everyone.

A high quality non-profit

Current Employee - Innovation Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Innovation Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at RTI International

Pros

Pros: flex-schedule options are available for those who value work-life balance, flexible as to the location of employees, easy work environment, very encouraging of personal R&D projects that RTI may support

Cons

Cons: the organization is fairly flat so there is limited upward growth, also being a non-profit that is highly funded off government grants they are very strict on keeping track of billable hours to project work (and limiting overhead).

Contract field interviewers beware

Current Employee - Field Interviewer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in New York, NY

I have been working at RTI International

Pros

Field work was genuinely interesting - when work was available.

Cons

The job ad, discussion with recruiting agency - Headway Workforce Solutions, and RTI supervisor was not consistent with the actual amount of work hours offered.

When I applied for a temporary, five month project with RTI International, the job listing advertised "20-25 hours per week, from October thru February, 2015". I was asked if I would be able to commit the entire five months, "possibly into early March as well". I had several telephone interviews as well as a video interview. Before being hired, I inquired numerous times when the project would begin and was told the first week of October. While it was mentioned to me by the RTI supervisor that RTI could not "guarantee" 20-25 hours per week, no one told me I would go months or weeks on end without any work.

The reality is that I did not begin working with RTI until early December -- two months later than what I had been told. Moreover, the total number of work days offered to me resulted in a mere 15 days, hardly the five month project I was told I would be committing to.

This had nothing to do with my work product. All of the field interviewers had to attend a five day training seminar in North Carolina. I passed their "certification" with flying colors and the sites I was assigned to, I performed well.

Stupidly, I turned down another part-time job - a legitimate job - 25 hours per week because I believed the RTI project was more substantive and would have been good experience. It certainly paid more money per hour than the other job I turned down.

Bad mistake, I never would have accepted this project had I known the hours would be less than what was advertised.

I now realize RTI likely over-hires field interviewers because if someone quits in the middle of a project, it wouldn't be feasible to search for new candidates, send them for training in NC>

This sort of job would be fine for e.g., a retiree, stay-at-home mom or college student living at home who is available for piece meal work, however, not for someone who thinks they will be working a temp project with consistent hours.

I noticed that RTI's newer advertisements for field interviewer projects now state that RTI not only cannot guarantee 20-25 hours per week, but they cannot guarantee consistent work from week to week either.

I wish they had stated that previously and had not let me to believe that they would have "plenty of work for me to keep me busy." I feel entirely duped.

Solid Place to Work

I have been working at RTI International

Pros

Great people to work with in a team setting

Cons

Can be looked down upon if you are younger in your career my some people, not all

Empower younger employees so that talent stays

RTI International Photos