RTI International Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
3.6

RTI International President & CEO E. Wayne Holden
E. Wayne Holden

Pros
  • Work life balance is achievable in this organization (in 11 reviews)

• Very flexible, good benefits, many potential collaborators within the organization (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance: expect 12-15 hour days 6 days a week 12 months a year with no overtime pay (in 5 reviews)

• For a non-profit they seem to put a big emphasis on money (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good solid company with good salary and benefits.

Former Employee - Field Interviewer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Interviewer in Houston, TX

I worked at RTI International part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary. Good training. Good support from supervisors ( not managers.) Great pay and good benefits.

Good temporary job for college students; not a career type position.

Cons

Lots of walking and carrying. They want you to work pretty much every weekend. They want you to work 3 - 9 pm 5 days a week. No upward mobility.

I think it is unconscionable to fire someone who was hurt on the job. I don't understand how you live with yourself making this decision.

Great work environment.

Former Employee - Quality  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Quality in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at RTI International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities exist for professional advancement and continuing education depending upon the division in which you are employed. Great coworkers and work to improve life around the globe. Work life balance is achievable in this organization.

Cons

The ebb and flow of conducting work for government contracts can be an issue at times especially when the government shuts down, obviously.

Always strive to be more open minded in efforts to keep creativity.

Internship

I have been working at RTI International

Pros

Experience in leading public health research institute. Employees are passionate and driven. Projects are inter-departmental and collaboration is therefore encouraged. Flexible hours in regards to working from home.

Cons

Training and expectation prior to internship could have been more in depth. Expectation of work was not that clear in the beginning and criticism could have been more constructive.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very nice place to work!

Current Employee - Electronic Technician  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Electronic Technician in Durham, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a cultural place. So many different people from different cultures, love learning new things.

Cons

Just being able to understand the importance of trying to make people lives better.

Hire me full time.

Working with a Purpose

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

RTI International is a great place for people who wish to pursue a meaningful career. As an engineer, I never imagined that I could use my expertise to aid in projects which touch so many disciplines (human health and exposure, regulatory affairs, etc) on an international scale. RTI offers great benefits for employees and allows its employees flexibility in their working schedule. The culture is friendly and nurtures innovation.

Cons

As a non-profit, RTI generally pays lower than an equivalent commercial position.

Matrix Management Ensures Infighting

Former Employee - Director  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at RTI International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are early or mid-career than you can think of RTI as SAIC-Lite. A government contractor small enough that you can probably move from project to project easily.

Cons

RTI has matrix management on top project management. So you need four dimensional space to understand where you are. It also does the 360-review, poorly! You can have people you interacted with very little reviewing you. Also, even though RTI is not an "up and out" company, people use the annual review process to "get even" with others. Also, things were so screwed up when I was there, I didn't even know who my supervisor was and it was a surprise at who did the review!

Make the review process quick and simple. Also make sure that everybody knows who works for whom. Adjust salaries based on merit and seniority. If a person is running a $20,000,000.00 project, then understand the government trusted them - Sr. management should as well instead of bringing in a "project manager" which and impede work and act as spy.

Great goals and vision, outdated practices

I worked at RTI International as an intern

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -balance life/work
    -commitment to promote education trough publications and material
    -friendly environment

Cons

-outdated work practices
    -miscommunication among departments
    -intrusive micromanagement

-Update the management practices

Ok company if you have a PhD

I worked at RTI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

No upward mobility; nothing outside of your desk

Cons

Some Directors are surprisingly rude and insensitive to human issues.

Flexible and engaging work, but demanding for Sr staff on team. Great team dynamics, limited financial upside

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

RTI has a collegial and supportive culture, the work is always different and interesting. Working for a mission driven organization has its upsides. Lots of opportunities and support to learn new things. The organizational structures are pretty flat - you boss could work on a project for you - and there tends to be very little politics in our group. If you want to work internationally there are opportunities.

Cons

Working as a consulting group within a non-profit institute puts some constraints on the ability to take risk, grow the business. There are no commissions or bonuses. Within in the centers there are limited opportunities for big promotion because the org structures are flat.

Large Research Organization

I have been working at RTI International full-time

Pros

RTI contains both non-profit and for-profit departments, so it offers wide variety of work and people. It is very diverse and most people are respectful and professional. Work schedules are fairly flexible, which is great!

Cons

There are many different business units within the organization, so if you want to get to know the whole organization, it would require extra effort to assertively seek out network beyond one's comfort/cubicle zone.

Upper management people are fair, professional, and understanding (based on my experience).

RTI International Photos

LEED Gold-certified building on RTI

+ Add Photo

Worked for RTI International? Contribute to the Community!