RTI International Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Mid-levels beware: Your career can soar or stall depending on which projects you end up on

I have been working at RTI International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, benefits, telework options. There are some wonderful, bright people there. IF you're lucky enough to end up on the right project you can have autonomy and truly grow and learn alot.

Cons

Pay is far less than it could be. If you end up on the wrong project you can be micromanaged and/or doing work far below your skillset and abilities causing lack of interest, boredom, and a stall in your skills/career. Far too much pressure to bill to client. If you don't have enough work to fill your time you can end up knocking on doors or sending "cold call" emails essentially begging for work or you'll end up using your PTO to cover your time, or worse having to drop down to part-time status until you can find more project work. And when you do find something to do, it's basically the work no one else wanted and 99% of the time tedious and again below your skills and abilities. They continue to hire BS level statisticians to be competitive in price to win contracts leaving MS level statisticians scrambling to find work because they're now considered too expensive. So you end up getting your 2-2.5% increase, which if you stay long enough will get your salary to a comfortable place but then you'll be performing at a below BS level, zapping your confidence and hindering your chances at a promotion or job change. I've come across way too many MS level statisticians with 10-15 years of service at RTI who still don't feel like confident statisticians and feel stuck.

Advice to Management

Either do a better job of keeping employees sold or have overhead available when YOU can't find them the work. It's a bit unfair to hire someone full time and only have enough work promised to them to keep them busy part time. If I'm showing up to work, I shouldn't have to use my PTO because there's nothing for me to do. Invest in your mid-level employees, we're starting to feel neglected since senior levels get the challenges, promotions, and management opportunities, and low level get all the work and we just get told we should do a better job at networking and finding our own work. Networking can only go so far if I'm told I'm too expensive everywhere I turn. Giving low-level statisticians all the work (including work that's above their skill level) will keep you competitive price wise but will diminish the quality of work you produce. All of your really great mid-level statisticians are going to eventually leave and you'll be left with the mediocre ones who's careers stalled years ago and are just waiting for retirement.

2. Graphic Designer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at RTI International

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility and on-campus amenities (cafeteria, gym, walking trails, etc). Great work/life balance.

Cons

Very corporate, wasn't super creative.

3. campus security

I have been working at RTI International full-time

Pros

good p;ace to work and great bemnefits

Cons

a very long drive from creedmoor

Multiple Problems with this Organization

Current Employee - Field Interviewer
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer

I have been working at RTI International

Pros

The hours are less than they promise so there is plenty of free time to look for work with another company.

Cons

RTI says this job is for 20-25 hours per week, RTI demands 20-25 hours in the field (without including travel time), but with travel time, work assigned does not approach 20-25 hours WITH travel.

RTI wants field workers in the field nights and weekends, but this doesn't account for the fact that the people they want to interview work 24/7, and are OFTEN working nights and weekends so are not available to be interviewed during those times.

Field interviewers are asked to enter record of calls only when they are working in the field even if the information was made available during non-field working hours. Entering data in this way falsifies the records and makes it look like the only work is done nights and weekends which means you can't rely on their records for accurate information.

Management styles are from the old south or at best from the 19th century...strictly top down. They have no interest in feedback from their employees.

First line management is incompetent... gives information but doesn't remember what is said and goes on to contradict previous statements. This is on going. Alsomakes accusations without supporting claims. When claims have been proven inaccurate or simply false, there are no apologies, only silence from the supervisors. Once or twice, this would be understandable but these false accusations appear to be an ongoing problem experienced by subordinates in several states.

IF interviewing with this company, ask about employee turnover, AVERAGE hours of work per week per quarter ( I was told I would be given 20-25 hours per week for the first 2 months of the quarter, and that the third quarter would be light. In reality, I completed a quarters worth of work the first month with less than 20 hours per week, and am now without work for another 2 months.)

Advice to Management

They don't want advice.

6. Flexible

I have been working at RTI International

Pros

Flexible work place with good benefits.

Cons

Difficult to expand depending on your group

Data Collection Specialist

Former Employee - Data Collector in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Data Collector in Raleigh, NC

I worked at RTI International

Pros

Flexibility in getting work out . pleasant admostphere

Cons

too much unrealistic golds, and too much nonprofessional team leads

Advice to Management

practice confidentiality for co-workers

Great compensation

Current Employee - Field Interviewer/Data Collection Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer/Data Collection Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RTI International

Pros

This is a great company to work for. I have worked for them on and off from 1993-99 and, after being laid-off from another similar company in 2011, I found myself back at this wonderful company. Even though it is only p/t, they pay very well and you are reimbursed for mileage. If you enjoy talking to people (No sales), like being outdoors and don't mind knocking on a few doors every day to gain cooperation this would be a great fit for you!

Cons

The only downside to this job is that sometimes there is a lot of local travel and odd hours.

Great place to work

I worked at RTI International

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement and professional development. Coworkers are typically highly-skilled and passionate about their careers.

Cons

Lots of individual projects means there are lots of individual bosses, and they're not all equally skilled supervisors or project managers. The RTI experience depends greatly on your project-based personnel, but then again this is typical of any large research organization.

Advice to Management

None.

great company to work for

Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RTI International

Pros

I can work part time. These surveys are short in duration and the people are great to work for

Cons

You can be chosen for any study

Advice to Management

Call earlier and let us know who you selected for the job

Analyst

I worked at RTI International

Pros

Great work environment with tremendous team work values.

Cons

Didn't seem like there was much room for growth.

RSS Feed </> Embed