RWDI

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Michael Soligo

RWDI is a good place to work

ProsI work in the Environmental part of RWDI so what I think about our group may not apply to others. Overall the pros are: decent wages, very smart colleagues, flexible schedule, OK work-life balance, interesting projects (at least in my current team), top management seems to be quite open about how the company operates etc. The job seems stable. The company seems to be trying to improve employee experience. Also, there is an employee stock purchase program which I head is a good deal. Benefits are good as far as I can tell.
    On the business side, the company is doing well and steadily growing.
    Overall, I have not had any major issues so far and I would recommend this place to a friend.

ConsWages are just decent - definitely not in the oil-and-gas league :) Vacation is short - 3 weeks until you have 10 years experience... Overtime is rarely paid. Tight budget for simple things sometimes. Ridiculous spending by some PMs on stupid things. Most cons are minor, but they exist.

I had a lot of fun at the start...

Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) Guelph, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat variety of projects. In my career there I worked on over 600 projects on 6 continents. Tight deadlines means you seldom have time to get bored. You get to work with a variety of people, from model shop, to tunnel operators, to project managers. Some of the senior guys have been there forever and have vast amounts of technical knowledge. There are three paths to moving up: technical expertise, project management and leadership roles. Lots of internal R&D opportunities. Opportunities to publish and go to technical conferences. Opportunities for travel.

ConsInternal training only happens when there is money, which for the last 5 years hasn't been often. R&D doesn't happen as often as desired. They underpay and overwork most of the engineers, and then you don't get overtime once you become a senior. There is a tendency to move people around departments if they aren't working out somewhere, rather than fire them.

Of the more than 20 principles, there is only one (maybe two) women. There are few women in engineering roles. The group in upper management has been in that position for 10-20 years and tends to shuffle the roles among themselves, rather than bring younger people up.

Upper management spends a lot of time talking about how to bring in new talent, but very little about how to retain talent, especially those in technical roles with 5-10 years of experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversity is needed. Mentoring, sponsoring needs to happen. Once someone reaches 5 years of experience, there needs to be an honest discussion about career path and plans should be put in place. Figure out how to keep women, because the policies and approaches tend to push them out once work/family balance is required.

Past Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRWDI was an amazing place to work until the last several years. It had a family feel where management cared for employees and there careers. I believe in that they are striving to return to a company which appreciates its employees, but it will take time.

ConsLike many companies in recent years, they have frozen salaries and promotions. They have found ways to make 'selective' changes, but may not have been with the appropriate review of employees and contribution. They have made decisions that resulted in some very talented employee leaving who I think has and will continue to hurt them for some time. Like mentioned above, they do seem to be striving to get back to the company they once was. I have hope that they will get there.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to learn from the past

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The world's largest wind engineering consulting firm

Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) Guelph, ON (Canada)

ProsMost of the people at RWDI have a positive attitude and are enthusiastic about the company. The principals make an effort to keep everyone informed about the company in monthly meetings in the cafeteria where the firm also acknowledges top performers and anniversaries. Human resources is excellent and strives to keep the engineers happy. Guelph is a great city to live in and raise a family.

ConsThe idealism and energy of young engineers is exploited. The salary for a graduate level engineer is 20% lower than the provincial average which is already abysmal. Taking into account the long hours worked and the expectations of management, one can easily feel lost.

RWDI is in a cut-throat industry where undercutting has hurt everyone. RWDI’s clients are other consulting firms leaving the company far removed from the larger scale project decisions, though it likes to think otherwise. Unpaid overtime is required to meet tight deadlines and keep projects profitable.

Many of the projects are very similar and the profitability of the firm hinges on having highly specialized engineers turning the cranks. Projects are carved into small pieces done by different engineers and support staff in different parts of the company. Coordinating activities with these support staff requires an unreasonable amount of planning and foresight. Many revisions are needed before reports are sent out to clients and the final product rarely feels like your own.

The company always reminds its engineers that it is the world’s largest wind engineering firm. Ask many to name a few others, and they can’t.

The firm is very old-fashioned and the chance of becoming a principal of the firm is slim.

Advice to Senior ManagementWelcome diversity. Provide more external training. Encourage broader skill sets to your engineers. Be more diligent in providing performance reviews.

Worked for RWDI? Contribute to the Community!