RWTH Aachen Reviews

3.6

CEO

one of eleven elite "Universities of Excellence" in Germany

I have been working at RWTH Aachen

Pros

nice place to do research.

Cons

small town, less opportunity compared to big cities.

PhD Student/Research Associate

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at RWTH Aachen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

+ Free work hours (depends on institute, I was in computer science)
    + Vacation days (ca. 30)

Cons

The PhD "programme" is generally of good quality with lots of independent research does, however, take significantly longer than in other countries, i.e., ca 4-7 years

HiWi Job i5

Former Employee - HiWI Job  in  Aachen (Germany)
    Former Employee - HiWI Job in Aachen (Germany)

I worked at RWTH Aachen part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good balance between studies and work - work is in the same building as most classes.

Cons

The pay as a student research assistant is low while the work as a java programmer is qualified and well paid elsewhere.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student hiwi job at UMIC RWTH

Current Employee - HiWI Job  in  Aachen (Germany)
    Current Employee - HiWI Job in Aachen (Germany)

I have been working at RWTH Aachen as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good working environment, relatively low living cost, campus atmosphere

Cons

You need to know LISA knowledge before you work here

Need more efficiency

Sie haben da nix verloren.

I worked at RWTH Aachen

Pros

Timings are extremely flexible. In general you can do what you want until you get caught. Well, doesn't motivate a lot.

Cons

Tasks and timings defined very badly. The most popular answer is "i don't know" - inspired a lot! Colleagues are not friendly at all, can be also be neglecting - speaking loudly for hours (!) as you're not in the same room with them. They love to talk! And they do it all the time! Morning "hallos" takes 30 min minimum!
    Well, i was shocked how slowly they work there! They get a few mails and read them in 2-3 weeks only.
    Also they don't like foreigners. "We don't need so many ...s" =) Well, german and germans are above everything.
    Welcome =)

Really?

Typical german university: Management not a priority.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Aachen (Germany)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Aachen (Germany)

I worked at RWTH Aachen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people will work at RWTH Aachen during their PhD, and it's one of the better german universities to do so.

Cons

Middle management is mainly handled by (research) professors who have their own agenda, employees are treated as something between a necessary evil and a useful worker bee; depending on the situation.

Hire people as managers. Would ease the workload of professors and improve the overall experience for normal employees.

No place to make career

Current Employee - Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter  in  Aachen (Germany)
    Current Employee - Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter in Aachen (Germany)

I have been working at RWTH Aachen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent place to obtain a Ph.D. degree
    Great enviroment to learn
    Industry oriented
    Nice location

Cons

Practically impossible to make an academic career due to internal regulations of the university

Excellent school, one of the best architecture faculties in Germany. University with very high international reputation.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Aachen (Germany)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Aachen (Germany)

I worked at RWTH Aachen part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work, one of the best experiences of my life / very good school / highly reputed research university / great friendly, forward thinking and progressive culture and people / amazing work ethic among faculty and students / faculty and students seem eye to eye and interested in developing great architecture in a friendly and professional atmosphere – something which can not be said for many German Universities / great heterogeneity and diversity within the faculty in terms of different views and opinions, the students have to make up their own minds and think for themselves rather than following a strict school of thought / students work hard here (this is a small city students meet, hang out, work together, know each other -> healthy competition and comradeship) / great location: urban campus in a small but very beautiful walk-able city with a 2000 year history reaching back to ancient roman times / setting at the border triangle of Germany, Netherlands and Belgium with "local" cross boarder exchanges through international workshops and collaborations / amazingly urban and forward thinking scene among the people here considering the small city setting a lot of people with character, mavericks (the/ Great spaces: Architecture Faculty is in a former museum building with 5,50m high spaces and a couple of more modern adjacent buildings housing studios and workshops / Cologne and Duesseldorf, more metropolitan cities where a good majority of the faculty lives can be reached within an hour by car or train / I can go on and on but I will stop I guess you’ll get the picture …

Cons

Of course there is some politics among professors but from my experience, it seems to be a relatively small problem compared to other faculties / as with so many faculties some mistakes ware made in the hiring of new professors some are good to very good but some are not so interesting / salary of research assistance is decent (as everywhere in Germany) but could be much higher (as everywhere in Germany) /

Stick to your traditions as a great architecture School by bringing in diverse and forward thinking people as faculty go for character because there are/were many people with character take risks in hiring new professors

Research Assistant

I have been working at RWTH Aachen part-time for more than a year

Pros

The possibilities for research in fields of natural sciences, engineering and interdisciplinary projects is very wide. Over 500 institutes are always open for students. You can improve your theoretical skills working active in several projects, which are often linked to the industry.

Cons

A very big university! You need to show a high level of self organisation and discipline - otherwise you will get lost. Stick together with your course mates and manage the hurdels in university life together. If you try to get along on your own, it will be very hard to success.

HiWi job at rwth-aachen

Current Employee - HiWI Job  in  Aachen (Germany)
    Current Employee - HiWI Job in Aachen (Germany)

I have been working at RWTH Aachen part-time for more than a year

Pros

learn many new stuffs and get paid

Cons

use much of my time

none

Worked for RWTH Aachen? Contribute to the Community!