Ra Sushi

Casual, but changing

Former Employee - Server in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Ra Sushi part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment, Great staff, very casual.

Cons

The company seems to be going through an identity crisis and is switching to more of the apple bees of sushi type look. The restaurant is becoming very corporate and losing the casual, genuine work environment it used to have.

Fun despite late nights

Former Employee - Server in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Plano, TX

I worked at Ra Sushi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back management, which cares about you and the guests. Fun co-workers and fun food and drinks make it a decent place to work overall. Very flexible with schedules; great for a working parent or student.

Cons

Bar-like atmosphere and late night schedules can get rough sometimes and the tip-out to support staff (bar, sushi and bussers) can really add up here.

Don't lose that fun atmosphere.

First serving job, never doing it again.

I worked at Ra Sushi

Pros

I was one of my favorite restaurants before I worked there, so I loved the food. During training, you get to order and eat 18 of the dishes (3 per day for 6 days), which was pretty awesome. I also loved serving most people, as it was a very active job and most customers were great.

Also, they offer even part-time employees benefits like dental and health insurance. It's expensive, but it's an option you can choose to have.

Cons

The management at my store was very hit-or-miss. Two of the managers were absolutely awesome, incredibly kind people who even when upset made sure that their employees were doing okay. The other two were awful, and one would constantly belittle, insult, and antagonize the servers and kitchen staff, especially when he was having a bad day. I had a hard time understanding why the rest of the managers were fine with his behavior.

Secondly - though this is normal for any serving job - having a constantly changing schedule is rough. You can never plan more than a week in advance for anything, and asking for specific days off even three weeks in advance irritates the scheduling manager and can hurt the hours you get the next week. If I had just one set day I knew I would get off each week in advance (ex: always Saturdays), so many issues could be avoided.

Also Ra is becoming much more corporate, and is losing a lot of what made it good. The club Sundays are gone, happy hour prices have increased to almost the regular prices now, hostesses have a strict dress code, dyed hair and tattoos are looked down on... etc. It's become less of a "Rock and roll sushi restaurant" and more of just a corporate sushi restaurant.

Focus on giving constructive criticism, and not just negative criticism.

Server

Former Employee - Server in Chino Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Chino Hills, CA

I worked at Ra Sushi part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great food, fast paced environment for workers who have a sense of urgency. 50% discount off RA Sushi AND Benihana. You get the discount while on shift and off shift. Management is ok if you're on their good side.

Cons

Catty servers, favoritism, you don't make that much tip because the sushi chef's get 5% of all sushi sales.

Management shouldn't be biased towards workers.

This place has potential, but it I was ultimately very disappointed working here.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Ra Sushi part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some pros of working here include the laid back atmosphere of manager-employee relationships. Also, when people come in who are willing to spend money, the bills can get pretty high, hopefully resulting in a good tip as well.

Cons

The Happy Hour menu and hours are ridiculous. The hours are Mondays through Saturdays from 3pm to 7pm, Monday through Wednesday from 10pm to 11pm, Thursday through Saturday from 11pm to 12am, and Sundays from 8pm to 11pm. The happy hour menu consists of some of the most popular items that are discounted by almost 50%. This means that bills that should be over 60 dollars are less than 30 dollars.

Create a better environment for server employees so that the turnover is not so terrible.

Management was horrible

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Ra Sushi part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Half off of food... that's about it.

Cons

Management was terrible. None have degrees and have no clue how to manage staff. If you flirted with them well enough you would get optimal shifts.

Hire management with degrees, not high school drop-outs.

Great Concept Losing it's Identity.

I worked at Ra Sushi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of growth potential for corporate minded individuals

Cons

Company is being stream-lined with parent company and losing it's identity of what made the company unique and fun.

Be honest and open in communication with the direction and vision of the RA brand.

Oh how the mighty have fallen

I worked at Ra Sushi

Pros

There aren't many anymore after Angelo Gordon took over and added Steve Schleman as CEO

Cons

Brand is ran by Benihana and Angelo Gordon private equity who only care about bottom line not employees or
    Guests. Changed complete brand from original concept to be an Applebee's of
    Sushi

You broke a successful business by letting HR and lawyers run restaurants if you are looking at this concept run away!!!

good money fun atmosphere

Former Employee - Waitress in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Waitress in Houston, TX

I worked at Ra Sushi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees get 50% off, health insurance opportunity for full-time workers, they use hot schedules so it's easy to swap shifts with coworkers, fun coworkers, good management, casual uniform (Ra shirt and dark blue jeans)

Cons

a lot of times servers have to deal with obnoxious/rude customers, unprofessional management at times, kitchen can be slow at times

hire more professional managers

Still drinking the Kool-Aid

Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Ra Sushi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Highly focused on teamwork and relationship building, working at RA is fun, challenging, and a great way to learn a diverse set of skills that are applicable in many fields. Whether you're front of house or back of house, you'll get thorough training, clear communication, and support whenever you need it. You'll also learn a lot about Japanese culture and culinary tradition, which you can use to impress your friends for years to come.

Cons

You're almost guaranteed to get a wasabi-bomb prank at some point, but, c'est la vie. A small price to pay for working with an amazing company. Hours can be late, as in any restaurant; this industry is not for the people who want to know exactly when they're going home.

Ra Sushi Photos