RaceTrac Petroleum

Be The First To
Add Photos

RaceTrac Petroleum Senior Vice President Allison Moran

Allison Moran

Pros:
  • "This was a really great place to work"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Flexible Schedule, good work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "A few bad people in the wrong upper management positions made a big difference"
    in 10 reviews
  • "You will have store managers write you up for stuff that they themselves don't even do either"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awesome Job!

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Training, Great Values, Great Leadership!

ConsIf an associate calls in, odds are the store manager will be covering. Makes for long hours...

In my OPINION, Racetrac is perfect for an entry-level starting job for a student to gain experience, Not really a career

Orlando, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time for less than a year

ProsDuties are easy
Pay is pretty good with respect to duties
Works with Students in School

ConsOutdated Mytrac System
Leadership Opportunities are rare
Hard to be promoted

Overall great company Poor employee evalution

Third Shift Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompany takes accountability from top down with regards to success and failure. When corporate makes decisions that turn out bad, they quickly correct it and don't blame middle management. Pay rate and benefits are very good for the industry. Seniority does not earn anything you have to do more to get payed more.

ConsWe do not have a good evaluation process for promotions or raises. You have to be in the right place, right time and with the right people to get ahead. Performance generally doesn't matter and we emphasize age and personal appearance to much. Also Overnight lockups in stores when only 1 associate is available makes for the worst customer service ever seen or heard about, and completely goes against the company mission and core values. It sure makes peoples lives more difficult and less enjoyable. It is dishonest to stay open on a technicality that you can shop through a window rather than being allowed to shop for all services expected when are highway signs say open 24 hours. It definitely shows a lack of teamwork considering we can't manage to make sure we are always staffed to make sure this never happens. It is a very inefficient way to run a business. Furthermore to say that the world is too dangerous to allow guests to come in and SHOP at our STORE, Our attitude can't get any worse toward overnight guests. If we don't welcome them in we can still call them customers but we can not call them guests.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a mandatory annual evaluation process instead of relying on random PDB in wich some store managers are on top of while others are not
Appearance and Brand are important but realize the importance of hard work and going the extra mile as Part of one's brand
And for God's Sake STOP LOCKING GUESTS OUT OF YOUR STORES!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun, Fast-paced environment

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou meet a lot of people every day and you're able to interact with new and regular people. You learn a lot about running your own business in case you're into that and the company is continuing to grow every year. Plus...free fountain drinks and coffee!

ConsWorking with the general public makes you realize that the public is, in fact, dumb. "The customer is always right" gets annoying when you know that the "guest" is usually wrong. The people you work with might not be the best people to work with because of the lack of work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing and realize the superstars and learn to let go of the ones that slack on a constant basis

My bitter sweet egg shelled podium...

Apopka, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time for more than a year

ProsScheduling flexibility, you can work up to 25 hrs part time and up to 40 for full time as an associate. Some people you work with are super cool.

ConsVery stressful job dealing with guests. Super easy to get fired for money being over or short even when its explained and nothing is lost. You and a coworker can have cashups flip and no money be lost yet still get documentation for situational issues. Crunching numbers, competition for promotions (they jerk you around, make you jump through hoops) if not that then there's yet another program you have to go through to be considered.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay much more attention to your associates and be very well aware that word travels fast throughout racetrac, especially the dirt.

Very laid back atmosphere, great culture!

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery fun atmosphere , good people, overall a good company to work for.

ConsPay could be better for the work that is being done.

Advice to Senior ManagementJump in and help out more!

Raciest, prejudice, dishonest,does not like older people.

Night Manager (Current Employee)
Port Richey, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay is not bad and if you have a decent manager you might get a good bonus.

ConsVery unfair will write you up for nothing and will not ask your side of the story. Boys club. Promotions are give to people they like.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers to be managers, and put in a affirmative action plan. The margins are going down everywhere cause he managers are dumb.. And if you say anything the store manager gets mad.

Started out fun grand opening !

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Stuart, FL

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time for more than 3 years

Prosflexible schedule, customers became friends often oh working there you are forbidden to call them customers it's guest only .

ConsRace trac is taking advantage of a tough economy by using people that need a job and not giving breaks etc.I have worked with a few Fortune 500 company's and I can tell you Race Trac is headed for huge Lawsuits.The company is not in it for the long haul if they where they would not be using cheep equipment to build new stores .Company does not follow all food safety rules and regulations.Temp control is not honest.Race trac does not give raises to hard working employees they will tell u that one must move up to make more and then they control your life basiclly with horrible schedules and driving many miles to get to the store they install you in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe true to your core Values, Your employees are humans not robots they have to use the bathroom allow them that time.Stop playing favorites some are allowed to use texting and cell phones while others are not .Stop allowing shortcuts while cleaning yogurt machines etc due to short staffing issues that corp. allows .Practice what you preach .stop having meetings at store just to get employees to come clean your stores asking employees to come in on there day off for so called promo meeting just to have them clean cabinets and gas pumps is a dirty practice.

Ok place to work.

Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time for more than a year

ProsHours are typically always consistent. I you work part-time then you usually get your 24 hours. If you are full-time then you usually get close to your 40 hours.

You get two weeks of paid vacation after a year

In certain areas promotions can be gained quickly.

ConsWorks is hard (no official breaks and the stores motto is "you never done, there is always somethings you can do)
The company has the right to move you to different stores as they see fit without any prior knowledge. (Being moved can also change your status ie. from full-time to part-time)
Can get stuck doing other shifts work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication among mangers and associate in regards to what each shift is responsible for.

Okay job while in school.

Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time for more than a year

ProsThis was a really great place to work. I allowed me to make some money while in school and still have time to study.

ConsNo very much training offered. I would have taken more of an interest in the company and my work if more attention was given to my development.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Worked for RaceTrac Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RaceTrac Petroleum reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RaceTrac Petroleum CEO Allison Moran. All 134 reviews posted anonymously by RaceTrac Petroleum employees.