RaceTrac Petroleum

Updated September 21, 2014
3.1

RaceTrac Petroleum Senior Vice President Allison Moran
Allison Moran

Pros
  • Lots of good people who work hard and care about what they do (in 6 reviews)

• Training and development of entry level (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management changes frequently with no time to see results of plans in place (in 12 reviews)

• You will have store managers write you up for stuff that they themselves don't even do either (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people and the work ethic. Its nice taking care of folks

Cons

Bad management plane and simple. There is no incentive to stay long due to lack of movement in the company.

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Associate In Training  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Associate In Training in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company really does hire from within. The managers always try to help you achieve your goals. They WANT you to be promoted as much as you yourself do. It's definitely a growing company, and all of the upper management I met were personable and friendly, never had their noses in the air.

Cons

I literally have no complaints.

Very multitasking

Current Employee - Guest Service Associate  in  Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Service Associate in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time for less than a year

Pros

never a dull moment. a lot of promotions

Cons

I just have an issue with the training. they want the trainees to use our personal numbers when using the cash register.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great midsize company to work for.

Current Employee - Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time for less than a year

Pros

A company where hard work does pay off.

Cons

24 hour, 365 days a week operation.

Best summer internship I ever had. Great experience and great family run business.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Given great responsibility even as an intern
    Access to senior management
    Fun, yet professional environment
    Ability to move across departments

Cons

Pay is decent
    No gas discounts

Increase salaries

Roller coaster of a ride!!!!

Current Employee - Shift Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You'll never forget you time served there. It will change you like nothing ever before, be it bad or good.

Cons

The Favoritism there is unbeliveable. If you are not picture perfect good luck on being promoted.

You need to look closer into day to day operations and unrealstic practices. You except so much with so little resources.

50/50

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time

Pros

Can advance from within the company.
    Great entry level job for students.
    Can be a successful career.
    Have benefits at part time (health, dental, 401k... etc..)
    Fast pace environment, making time go by faster.
    Starts over minimum wage.

Cons

Racetrac is not consistent on all stores. You might work at a store where you greatly dislike your managers. Schedules are very inconsistent. Managers don't practice the Racetrac core values.

I've seen managers who tell their associates to stock in the coolers when they are sick.
    Managers who do nothing and tell their associates to do everything.
    Sharing responsibility isn't always honored.

I think Racetrac could be wonderful place to work, it has potential to become a great business,

I believe that Racetrac should host associate meetings to express their concerns/compliments. Racetrac should do a 6 month survey for their managers so associates could rate their performance and upper management could review their credentials. Also Racetrac should demote some of their managers who are not qualify to fulfill that role. Moving up within Racetrac should depend more on their ability to not only perform well in their jobs but also their relations with their employees. ( It's obvious when guest and employees start to complain about a specific person, and that person gets promoted, sometimes feels like a huge stab in the back.)

Also, I think it would be beneficial for Racetrac to start rotating Store Managers. By have 2 different store managers it makes it easier for associates to express their concern to an unbiased person and/or become promoted by two manager's approval. This will promote a better, more respected shift manager. When becoming promoted, managers should communicate to other employees and ask their professional opinion on their promotions. By doing this you'll get a full understanding of this person's work ethics and relationship.

I knew this was not the place for me long term.

Former Employee - Associate  in  Ringgold, GA
    Former Employee - Associate in Ringgold, GA

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than a year

Pros

The flexibility of hours is okay if you are a student, and the job is not difficult to learn. The pay is competitive compared to other entry-level jobs in similar stores. It's the kind of job you can leave at work, so if you need to concentrate on school, you can.

Cons

I was really put off when they changed the scheduling to avoid paying for health care for all employees. For a company that claims to make billions of dollars a year, they sure don't seem like they care very much about the lower level employees. Our store only had two full time employees (of which I was one), but everyone else was capped at 25 hours a week; the problem is, there were no set schedules and the managers wanted you to have open availability, so for the people who needed full time work, it was almost impossible for them to get a second job. It was almost impossible to schedule anything on your days off, because you were subject to be called to cover for someone else, and to be honest, most people need as many hours as they can get.
    It was hard to get senior management to agree to put anyone on the promotion list, because the area managers were always being changed around, and the management didn't communicate well with each other. It was as if no one would trust the opinion of the person who held the job before them, so you had to jump through the same hoops all the time to prove yourself over to the new managers. There was a lot of talk about follow through, but little action with it. Be prepared for when the DM or OS to walk in to have nothing nice or positive to say about anything. It's almost as if it causes them physical pain to compliment anything, but they have to harp on the negative. I can count on one hand the number of times anyone from Corporate had something nice to say about any of the stores in our area.

Managers work a mandatory 45 hours per week, and associates are capped at either 25 or 32; however, the stores are "rewarded" for sales with more hours, so the number of hours someone gets could change from month to month. Give the managers 40 hours a week, take those extra 25-30 hours each week per store and give them to the associates. The managers already make bonuses of which the associates see nothing; you want associates to work, have open availability, cover for call-outs, but there is very little in terms of actual reward for them.

Give people the hours they need to pay their bills; hire people in full time instead of making them "earn" full time status. Some people want to work part time, but a lot of people need full time jobs. Give each store a way to ensure that full time means full time and not "full time if someone calls out and you can pick up an extra shift." You truly could afford to pay for health care if you really wanted to, but I have a suspicion the higher ups don't want to take a cut in their bonuses. Being able to qualify for food stamps is NOT a job perk.

There was not a lot of follow through; the managers were always changing, so if you were interested in moving up, it seemed like you always had to keep proving yourself to the new DM Store Manager; it was as if (in our region) no one trusted the opinion of the person who held the job before them.

Here's my advice to anyone in corporate management that's been there longer than 5 years; take 2 months and work the job and hours of the people you say are the backbone of your company (the associates, not any management level that has a set schedule or set days off, bonus, anything--do the job you don't want); take their pay, their lack of benefits, lack of recognition, and lack of feedback from higher ups and see if you truly do appreciate them like you say you do.

A life changing experience but a non equal job opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orange City, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange City, FL

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work at Racetrac because I truly enjoy the interaction with the public. I have evolved into a passionate customer service people person being able to add the knowledge towards my future challenges. My team is like my Family, annoying but yet great to be around!

Cons

The amount of work you do and mental challenge working with the public is definitely not worth the pay. Trying to fit Racetracs non-realistic expectations of the real world, real personalities, different personalities is very emotional consuming due to a non-equal opportunity chance to get promoted. Discrimination against different origin people by being told Spanish is not allowed to be spoken at all between employees creates a discriminating workplace. One day your great to do a managers job for an associates pays, and the next day your not good enough to move forward towards getting promoted. Great company, but not so great leaders standing by their core values

Management be a leader, stand by your associates, develop your associates, and be an example. Too many laid backs, abusers, and Managers not doing their jobs, but just letting the job fall on those who don't get paid for the work. Everyday should be a learning experience!

Very political and salary not comparable to competitors

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CEO is very genuine and the guests inside of our stores are wonderful

Cons

Politics, it's who you know not what you know

Worked for RaceTrac Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!