RaceTrac Petroleum Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.9

RaceTrac Petroleum Senior Vice President Allison Moran
Allison Moran

Pros
  • Lots of good people who work hard and care about what they do (in 6 reviews)

• Training and development of entry level (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management changes frequently with no time to see results of plans in place (in 12 reviews)

• You will have store managers write you up for stuff that they themselves don't even do either (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great midsize company to work for.

Current Employee - Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time for less than a year

Pros

A company where hard work does pay off.

Cons

24 hour, 365 days a week operation.

Amazing place to work overall!

Former Employee - Associate  in  Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than a year

Pros

*RaceTrac has great benefits for its employees whether you're part-time or full-time
    *They willingly work around your school/second job schedule
    *You can move up very quickly (within a few months!)
    *Great place, great people, great energy
    * The people you meet want the best for you and it is very much a "team" environment, you all do great together and help each other out

Cons

*Getting promoted can be a struggle with the time frame, there's no specific length of time that the entire process will be done
    *You can only be promoted in a certain order so that may mean sacrificing a great schedule for something a little less appealing

The best job ever!!!!!!!!!

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum

Pros

Great people and great customers you will love it

Cons

There are none, you may have little craziness but that's all.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good job

Current Employee - Co Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture and fun to work at.

Cons

Long shifts and could use more communication from senior leadership.

Excellent Company and Great Incentives. As long as work is top priority

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great family owned & run company
    Excellent pay & bonuses (from starting level to management)
    Fast paced fun busy
    "Ever changing atmosphere"
    Excellent concept of Core Values
    Excellent opportunities to get noticed and advance

Cons

Work and home balance is the WORST if you're a manager.
    There are too many unrealistic responsibilities as a store manager. Finding shift coverage, covering shifts then expected to inventory and do a full shift on top of shifts.
    LONG LONG HOURS
    Not enough penalties for thieves/bad employees
    Company puts too much emphasis on "not wanting to alienate customers" but fulling enforcing penalties for theft etc..
    Expectations are often unrealistic
    Upper management (Operations Supervisors) favoritism is an issue

More accountability for area supervisors and operations teams to assist with coverage, counts & issues so that store managers and co managers can focus on running their stores.
    Now that SO many things have changed and some very bad people are gone, consider rehiring some of your "fallen faithful good employees" who were once pushed out by power hungry egos that have since crashed and burned.

The high stress levels have probably shortened my lifespan.

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay for management is higher than average in the industry. Good culture. Good people. Training and development of entry level $9 an hour employees is great. Someone could go from $9 an hour to $60k a year within a couple of years... if they are naturally intelligent, able to manage, selfless, and have a strong work ethic.

Cons

High Stress. Early mornings. 24/7 Retail. Gas Station. General Public. Work on Holidays. Long commutes. Enough said, but I'll go on. Very high expectations for cleanliness and service but low budgets for labor to meet those expectations. Not many options to move up from in-store positions without taking a pay cut (when figuring bonus). Corporate promotions would also require relocation or a substantial increase of commute.
    Surprising amount of sexual harassment from people in training and corporate leadership positions. Including from women. More recently it has gotten better.
    Shifts can be as long as 9 hours with no scheduled breaks and no ability to leave the property. If someone doesn't show up on your relieving shift you can get stuck there until coverage comes in because at least 2 people have to be present at all times.
    No sense of professionalism. Recognition programs, corporate meetings, and regional meetings are quite juvenile. If you miss the recognition programs from elementary school and the dances in middle school, you will love RaceTrac.

There is a disconnect somewhere with your "No jobs, only careers" policy. Long-term employment requires give and take from both parties. I feel like I always gave way more than RaceTrac ever did. Dealing with all of the "Cons" above and never complaining.. always giving great "guest service" and having the famous RaceTrac positive attitude. Sure I got paid decent, but my quality of life wasn't good at all. Even while leaving on good terms after several years of great service, I barely received a goodbye. They were quick to cancel benefits and to cancel bonus checks, though. My advise is to be more genuine.

Hard work but, good starter job.

Current Employee - Racetrac Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Racetrac Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice pay and two week vacation per year. For a part time job its great.

Cons

Work at a corp. store and I easily work twice as hard as my other colleagues from other stores. If you want to work here... make sure its not a corp store.

Great pay, but you will work for it. On call 24/7.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You can own your career, if you work hard and take criticism well you will be promoted quickly. No belief in seniority.

Cons

Your supervisor runs their own fiefdom, if you have a bad supervisor leadership will consider you a problem when you complain.

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Former Employee - Third Shift Manager  in  Canton, GA
    Former Employee - Third Shift Manager in Canton, GA

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fast paced atmosphere. Love working with the guests.

Cons

A lot was expected of Allison Moran when she took over. Little did we all know how much she would change once she got into the BIG chair. We expected more transparency in bonuses, expectations and politics. We were sadly mistaken there would be any change. Last raise was 8 years ago, a cost of living/alignment. They took away the 3rd shift differential, which was .75 per hour. Bonus structure always changes with no set scale. Attitude towards long term/older employees is more or less discriminatory, if you don't look like Ken or Barbie they will get rid of you one way or another.

More accountability for operational supervisors. Favoritism and good ole boy mentality needs to be a thing of the past. Pay needs to be tied to cost of living real world scales. Gas has increased over $2 per gal in 8 years but wages have not. Give employees better job security.

Very up and down

Former Employee - Third Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Third Shift Manager

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time

Pros

I worked 2 1/2 years as an associate, 1 year night and 1 yr shift manager. Its a fast paced, fun environment. I worked at several stores in Florida mostly north and I loved my job. Great pay. Great benefits. They are very family orientated. Taking employees and their families to Tampa Bay Aquarium. You learn a lot from your job and your guests. Ive also seen some crazy things! And there are some amazing people you will meet. Some I will never forget

Cons

This job is very stressful. Always changing environment, no steady management. Season is the worst. Mclane is tough to deal with. Technology always going down. On top of it all they constantly change the face of the company. stop going back to hiring college students and get people who really care about the company. I left for that reason. Too much work, not enough labor hours and the stores get too personal too.

I loved my job. However favoring was a big part of stores and promotion. Even with the changes. Start looking at what is really going in up north. Your people are overwhelmed, overworked, and feel underappreciated.Help them they need you and are too afraid too "rat" on the store managers. Look at what is really going on!!!

Worked for RaceTrac Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!