RaceTrac Petroleum Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014

RaceTrac Petroleum CEO Allison Moran
Allison Moran

Pros
  • Great entry level job for students (in 7 reviews)

• Most of the Managers I worked with where good people and fare (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management changes frequently with no time to see results of plans in place (in 12 reviews)

• You will have store managers write you up for stuff that they themselves don't even do either (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Busy

Former Employee - Associate in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Plano, TX

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours
    Pay every week
    Good atmosphere
    Good training

Cons

No really much "breaks"
    pay could be hire
    constantly cleaning the store
    n/a
    n/a

It was fast paced and not very rewarding.

Former Employee - Cashier in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Garland, TX

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, and flexible hours.Racetrac also has great insurance and there were always plenty of hours available, I never had to struggle to pick up an extra shift.

Cons

It was very demanding and honestly management and corporate couldn't care less about lower level positions. I often came home exhausted and depressed.

Realize that without lower level employees you wouldnt be where you are. recommend all management and corporate should work in a store at least once and see what its like.

Great company, but wait...

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fast past environment with room to grow. Flexible schedule, decent pay, down to earth CEO, and strong projected growth.

Cons

Accountability is not consistent, depends on who you know and you get a slap on the wrist.

Political game is in full effect and it's becoming out of control.

Unorganized !

Current Employee - Store Associate in Stuart, FL
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Stuart, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the Managers I worked with where good people and fare.

Cons

Operations supervisors often hamper the moral of the store as they pick on Managers and walk around on there cell phones which is suppose to be against company policy.Many times they would come into the store and disrupt the flow of the store Basically there are to many operations supervisors and not enough help on the floor.

Pick your battles, disapline those who do not show up for work on time. and reward the people you have that are consistant and do a good job.Stop telling new hires they can reach Management when you know very few stores are opening every year in a given area.The truth is your turnover rate at RaceTrac is horrible. Favoritism is alive and well at Race Trac .

blah job overworked

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

meet alot of people, suck up to move up

Cons

They tend to overwork you

have to suck up to move up

Lousy job for anyone over 30.

Former Employee - Store Associate in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Allen, TX

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They supply you with 2 shirts to start & an additional shirt every 6 months to build up your wardrobe!!! Depending on your store manager, he/she can be very accommodating with work schedules.

Cons

Many employees are just out of high school or under 30 years of age. Older people (30+) hired often times have to babysit the younger employees while they take smoke breaks every 45 minutes or leave the storefront to talk/text on their phones. Meanwhile the mature workers have to pick up the slack. I was personally told by my supervisor & a fellow 18 year old associate I would not be promoted because...quote: "you have to be young and cute to get promoted...didn't you know that"? The younger set are hired not knowing how to wash a dish but yet are expected to prep fresh fruits, maintain a frozen yogurt bar & roller grill while implementing safe food handling....it is NOT happening! Back rooms, freezer floors & yogurt rooms are filthy; sanitizing knives, cutting boards, storage containers, etc. is not being done. I personally experienced Associates coming to work on heroine, smoking pot in the outside storage areas, employees stealing food, drinking beer in the cooler while stocking...it was a bad experience for me. I was taken advantage of way too often & finally quit in less than a year.

Make random drug testing a mandatory practice. Managers should be more aggressive in their approach to handling employees with drug & alcohol issues, as well as poor work ethics & inexperience by enforcing company policies.

Fun

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people and the work ethic. Its nice taking care of folks

Cons

Bad management plane and simple. There is no incentive to stay long due to lack of movement in the company.

50/50

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time

Pros

Can advance from within the company.
    Great entry level job for students.
    Can be a successful career.
    Have benefits at part time (health, dental, 401k... etc..)
    Fast pace environment, making time go by faster.
    Starts over minimum wage.

Cons

Racetrac is not consistent on all stores. You might work at a store where you greatly dislike your managers. Schedules are very inconsistent. Managers don't practice the Racetrac core values.

I've seen managers who tell their associates to stock in the coolers when they are sick.
    Managers who do nothing and tell their associates to do everything.
    Sharing responsibility isn't always honored.

I think Racetrac could be wonderful place to work, it has potential to become a great business,

I believe that Racetrac should host associate meetings to express their concerns/compliments. Racetrac should do a 6 month survey for their managers so associates could rate their performance and upper management could review their credentials. Also Racetrac should demote some of their managers who are not qualify to fulfill that role. Moving up within Racetrac should depend more on their ability to not only perform well in their jobs but also their relations with their employees. ( It's obvious when guest and employees start to complain about a specific person, and that person gets promoted, sometimes feels like a huge stab in the back.)

Also, I think it would be beneficial for Racetrac to start rotating Store Managers. By have 2 different store managers it makes it easier for associates to express their concern to an unbiased person and/or become promoted by two manager's approval. This will promote a better, more respected shift manager. When becoming promoted, managers should communicate to other employees and ask their professional opinion on their promotions. By doing this you'll get a full understanding of this person's work ethics and relationship.

Roller coaster of a ride!!!!

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll never forget you time served there. It will change you like nothing ever before, be it bad or good.

Cons

The Favoritism there is unbeliveable. If you are not picture perfect good luck on being promoted.

You need to look closer into day to day operations and unrealstic practices. You except so much with so little resources.

I knew this was not the place for me long term.

Former Employee - Associate in Ringgold, GA
    Former Employee - Associate in Ringgold, GA

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The flexibility of hours is okay if you are a student, and the job is not difficult to learn. The pay is competitive compared to other entry-level jobs in similar stores. It's the kind of job you can leave at work, so if you need to concentrate on school, you can.

Cons

I was really put off when they changed the scheduling to avoid paying for health care for all employees. For a company that claims to make billions of dollars a year, they sure don't seem like they care very much about the lower level employees. Our store only had two full time employees (of which I was one), but everyone else was capped at 25 hours a week; the problem is, there were no set schedules and the managers wanted you to have open availability, so for the people who needed full time work, it was almost impossible for them to get a second job. It was almost impossible to schedule anything on your days off, because you were subject to be called to cover for someone else, and to be honest, most people need as many hours as they can get.
    It was hard to get senior management to agree to put anyone on the promotion list, because the area managers were always being changed around, and the management didn't communicate well with each other. It was as if no one would trust the opinion of the person who held the job before them, so you had to jump through the same hoops all the time to prove yourself over to the new managers. There was a lot of talk about follow through, but little action with it. Be prepared for when the DM or OS to walk in to have nothing nice or positive to say about anything. It's almost as if it causes them physical pain to compliment anything, but they have to harp on the negative. I can count on one hand the number of times anyone from Corporate had something nice to say about any of the stores in our area.

Managers work a mandatory 45 hours per week, and associates are capped at either 25 or 32; however, the stores are "rewarded" for sales with more hours, so the number of hours someone gets could change from month to month. Give the managers 40 hours a week, take those extra 25-30 hours each week per store and give them to the associates. The managers already make bonuses of which the associates see nothing; you want associates to work, have open availability, cover for call-outs, but there is very little in terms of actual reward for them.

Give people the hours they need to pay their bills; hire people in full time instead of making them "earn" full time status. Some people want to work part time, but a lot of people need full time jobs. Give each store a way to ensure that full time means full time and not "full time if someone calls out and you can pick up an extra shift." You truly could afford to pay for health care if you really wanted to, but I have a suspicion the higher ups don't want to take a cut in their bonuses. Being able to qualify for food stamps is NOT a job perk.

There was not a lot of follow through; the managers were always changing, so if you were interested in moving up, it seemed like you always had to keep proving yourself to the new DM Store Manager; it was as if (in our region) no one trusted the opinion of the person who held the job before them.

Here's my advice to anyone in corporate management that's been there longer than 5 years; take 2 months and work the job and hours of the people you say are the backbone of your company (the associates, not any management level that has a set schedule or set days off, bonus, anything--do the job you don't want); take their pay, their lack of benefits, lack of recognition, and lack of feedback from higher ups and see if you truly do appreciate them like you say you do.

RaceTrac Petroleum Photos

Turn down for what?? Our most popular Office Olympics event this year, Left Hook Relay. Try RaceTrac's energy drink, Left Hook, at a RT near you!

+ Add Photo