Racepoint Group
www.racepointgroup.com Boston, MA 150 to 499 Employees

Racepoint Group Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014
Racepoint Group – Waltham – “Great Place to Work!”

Larry Weber

Easy going, but disorganized

I have been working at Racepoint Group as an intern

ProsNot a lot of pressure, good people

ConsDidnt seem to know what they were doing

Lots of ups and downs

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Racepoint Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRacepoint has a strong reputation in the Boston and SF markets, and carries a lot of weight once you've moved on when searching for new positions. The ability to work with lots of promising clients doing interesting work is also a highlight. There are many very talented PR and marketing professionals at the organization to learn from, but you have to take the lead. They also do try to treat their employees fairly.

ConsThere are definitely 'favorites' chosen by upper management, and it's very hard to work around them. Unfortunately, many of these employees are talented, but not good managers, leaving their teams scrambling more often than not for media placements. No one in management bats an eye at employees working 55+ hours, and perpetuates a workhorse mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter train your managers to teach junior staff.

Pretty good company

Waltham, MA

I worked at Racepoint Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGood clients and great benefits

ConsDifficult integration and culture with levels

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the people

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company, great people, very motivating and room for growth!

Account Coordinator (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Racepoint Group full-time for less than a year

ProsPros are in the title. Great people, awesome location in SF, learn quickly, good benefits, etc.

ConsStarting pay rate is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons.

Company makes good effort to be on PR cutting edge, but ethics, attitude and environment need improvement

Below Account Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Racepoint Group

ProsExposed to latest and greatest PR methods, Firm not afraid to try out new tools, has some industry credibility, great access to tech clients, fairly accessible for Boston suburbs, will likely increase your skill while there.

ConsNot a team atmosphere, management preys on newer employees to keep their own job, there is an "in" and an "out" crowd -- meaning those that were with the firm when it started have clout over those who were brought on to support the company's growth. New hires beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementClients deserve to be spoken about with more respect in the office. Mid-level management should cultivate an atmosphere that respects the organizational structure currently set up, not the one that existed when the firm was first created, where personal relationships trump everything.

A good learning experience for entry level candidates but not for senior level PR professionals.

South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Racepoint Group

ProsManagement is great in communicating to you what they want and how they want you to do it. Middle management is the strongest part of the company as most managers under the VPs provide clear, concise instructions on what is to be expected.

The benefits are also a big plus as they start on day one, no waiting 60-90 days for them to kick in. There is a $1,000 health stipend which can be used for alternative health needs not covered by health insurance like eye-glass prescriptions and gym memberships.

Overall, it is a good place to work with little room for advancement.

ConsThe glaring downside of working for this company is the leadership from the VP and HR departments. The VPs are without a doubt knowledgeable about the business but lack leadership skills to provide clear and distilled messages to both staff and clients. Unless you're a senior ranking member of the group you'll rarely report to a VP without having the opportunity to clear your work with a mid-level manager, although if you're presenting work to a VP don't be surprised if you've misinterpreted their instructions.

Another downside is the lack of support employees get from the HR department. Once hired it is almost impossible to recommend a change or have your position reviewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would tell the upper level managers to keep up their good work and continue to foster an office of continued learning and questioning. I would tell the VPs to talk a bit less and listen to those around them.

Great for experience, but bad work environment

I worked at Racepoint Group full-time

ProsIf you are a go-getter, this place definitely does not shy away from giving entry-level employees real, meaningful tasks. This is great for gaining experience and learning the ins and outs of an industry, rather than grab coffee and make copies all day. You get pretty good access to new tools in the industry, which is something you don't often see in small-medium companies. The health benefits are pretty great and start immediately.

ConsA select few managers don't do anything but "participate" in calls or meetings, but never do any real work. It's abhorrent there are people making less than $35k working 12 hour days, consistently, while managers take 2 hour lunches and leave early. When stuff hits the fan, certain managers throw their team under the bus. One manager blamed their entire team for something that was primarily their fault, while an account coordinator had the maturity to take all the blame (despite it being a manager failure). On another occasion, I saw a manager berate an employee so badly, that person was full out crying. I’ve seen clients send emails acknowledging great employees, and managers purposely attacking those employees in attempt to save their own job. Oh, and if your manager doesn't like you...for no reason at all...they will look for ways to get rid of you. I saw a couple employees get terminated on that alone. On another note, the company structure likes to promote professional development, but that's a complete lie. They tell you to attend conferences, networking events and even offer tuition reimbursement, but if you actually participate in any of this, you get in trouble for not devoting 24/7 of your life to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, the hiring process needs to be changed. Quite a few people working in the company claim to be "PR" or "Digital" experts and have never heard of basic tools or best practices. Second, VPs need to pay closer attention to management and their teams. Managers know you are not paying attention. Managers overwork their teams to death, making them handle management tasks when they have no business doing so. Managers are also creating an environment where most fear for their jobs so employees are constantly looking to backstab someone else - which is a shame since most employees get along.

Excellent

I have been working at Racepoint Group as an intern

ProsGreat company and great people!

ConsStarting pay rate is low.

Worked for Racepoint Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Racepoint Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Racepoint Group CEO Larry Weber. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Racepoint Group employees.