Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros:
  • "Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great culture and people with lots of talents around that you could learn from"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great when I started, but now it is horrible

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart co workers
Great Friends
My pay is good because I had a rare manager who saw the good work I am doing.

Consmanagers have a buddy system and protect each other. In my 7 years there, I have seen it since day 1. We are trying to compete against the major players with openstack instead of doing what we do best, providing a managed service.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to see a trend that it is about who you know, not what you know in order to get promoted. A lot of high end techs are seeing this trend and are looking for other jobs.

Sunny with storms in the horizon

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsRelaxed place to work. You have some great people here and at times can be fun.

ConsIt's not what you know but whom you know. Favortism runs high here. Weak managers, pay, and lack of training.

Advice to Senior Management“By not treating everyone equally, a manager is fostering a sense of resentment and separation that can de-motivate employees and damage team unity, Also, by focusing attention on particular employees, it’s easy to overlook growth opportunities and unique skill sets offered by others.”

Great company - going to Good?

Concerned Racker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people and a great industry full of potential growth and innovation

ConsGrowth and external pressures are serious forces to be dealt with and challenging the culture. Very young and inexperienced SLT that has bounced left/right repeatedly and drug the company/Rackers through a difficult patch for the past 2 years

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat got you here won't get you there.....the things that worked in the past 16 years are not what's going to get Rackspace to the next level of growth. Focus and invest on what we do well, then go execute like madmen/women to get it done. Pick a path and go hard - don't waffle or choose multiple paths and become the proverbial "inch deep and a mile wide". No one wins that game.

Love my job

Linux Administrator I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great benefits
- I am encouraged to promote and better myself
- I actually like coming in to work
- Allowed to manage work and home life easily because of flexible management
- My team is awesome and we all work off each others' strengths
- On site Gym, catered food, soda fountains, games, a miniature golf course, and a slide. What more could you ask for?

ConsIt would be cool if there was an arcade, but other than that, the place is amazing!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ever lose sight of the core ideologies because they make Rackspace special

It's not what you know, it's who you know

Software Quality Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros-Culture is laid back. T-shirt, shorts, flip flops are ok
-Plenty of opportunities to learn
-Peers are open to mentoring you
-Great benefits and company activities
-Pay is based on prior experience

Cons-No clear direction from upper management, which makes projects very stressful and deadlines/goals are hazy
-Non-managerial employees: Plenty of times you find yourself trying to determine what you should be working on and leading projects instead of getting managerial input
-No matter how much work you do, make sure you know and inter-mingle with others outside of your team. Otherwise, your work will go unnoticed

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish more processes and standards and ensure that these are carried out. Many times there are no standards at all, and if there are, no one promotes them to be followed

The best place I have ever worked.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

ProsIT professions struggle in smaller shops to progress to the next level. You have to wait for someone to leave to move up and exposure to new Tech/learning is sometimes slow. Not at Rackspace. The company has numerous IT related positions with almost limitless opportunity. Many Rackers enter the company as Account Managers, Windows Systems Administrators or Linux Systems Administrators, but those folks are often afforded opportunities commensurate with their contributions and talent. Rackers have moved on to become Engineers and Leaders in different departments based on their passion and drive. If you want to move on to Virtualization, Cloud, SharePoint, Exchange, Storage, DBA, Development, Automation...it goes on and on, you can do it if you learn and collaborate well. Techs grow faster at Rackspace given their exposure to a wide array of technologies. It truly is amazing to see so many folks grow so fast and to love the place they work.

ConsPay increases can be slow, but the current leadership seems to be fixing that. Getting in Rackspace can be tough, but once you are in, the world is your oyster. The more you put in the more you get back.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the Whack in the Rack.

Great place to start

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

ProsExcellent Job Benefits and Pay For Individual Contributors, if you negotiate well going in
You have the opportunity to make a difference day one.

ConsIf you are not in the core functions (Sales, Support, Dev), little or no career progression.
No career planning or structure
constant org changes, poor change management
Corporate ADD

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to fully bake your initiatives before you start them, so when we have an annual kick-off we are still tracking those targets by Q2 and haven't moved on to the next shiny object, and stop being distracted by the stock price.

Great, fun place to work

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsIt's a great place to work. Different culture compared to other companies.

ConsA growing company so there's always a lot of change.

Started out great, four years later, AWFUL!!!

DCOPS Technician Level II (Current Employee)
Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFour years ago it was awesome, still had that startup feel and benefits. Somewhere along the line Rackspace went corporate, and downhill fast. The fanatical support that they so proudly advertise, no such thing, all it is is just trying to see who can make the boss the happiest while making everyone else pissed off.

ConsIt sucks. If you like backstabbing, brown-nosing, and favoritism, this is the place for you, it is the company motto. If you are disabled, don't even bother, everyone I worked with who was disabled, ended up out of a job. Worst place I have ever worked!

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the startup mentality, because the company is going to end up in the gutter.

Great company

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRackspace is a great company. Lots of opportunities for those who want to make their own way. You can be an entrepreneur with the company.

ConsRackspace is a great company, but it is growing quickly into a big company. That can be a good thing- less rapid change, more formal programs- but it can also be a bad thing if you want more of a startup culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to keep a place for innovators as you grow. I've seen some of the companies best entrepreneurial minds leave recently. This can hurt in the long run.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All 401 reviews posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.