Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Reviews

Pros:
  • "Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Work environment and dedication to Racker communication"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

One of the best places to work! Get on-board while we're hiring!

(Current Employee)

ProsFantastic leadership by Graham and Lanham
    Laid back environment
    Many on the job perks
    Competitive benefits
    Profit sharing and bonuses (based on performance review)
    Peer and management performance reviews to offer helpful feedback and incentivise fanatical effort

ConsCommunication has been complicated at times
    Growth has been rampant, so changes are very common

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need the VP level management to be as competent as our Director level management- get rid of the busybodies and promote successful, technically inclined management up.

Keep up the great work!

The company has great promise

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

Pros- Casual work environment
    - Great people
    - Excellent place to learn and grow as an individual
    - Lots of in-house training offered, some of it is excellent
    - The culture is amazing

Cons- People/teams are often not held accountable to fix their mistakes
    - Currently struggling with maintaining their culture due to the large company growth
    - Losing a lot of talented people because of salary/compensation concerns

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of just promoting people to a higher level in their current position, hire internally for the management opportunities that are available.

Great place, but some aspects are hyped up.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsTechnical people are looked upon favorably.
    Lots of opportunity to advance skillset on the job.
    You can actually reach upper level people (CEO, chairman, etc).
    There is indeed free soda, coffee, and tea.
    It seems that leveling up within a position is quite consistent and regular (e.g. support 1 -> support 2).

ConsGym is composed of solely of machines and dumbbells (no barbells for people who want to lift weights).
    The "cafe" mentioned is non-existent as far as I can tell.
    Free snacks is limited to apples and bananas.
    There is no official carpool program, although they list this as a perk (in fact, from what I observed there is no employee carpool, just friends who carpool).
    Rackspace University is geared towards IT and Management/Business, with other classes taking a backseat or not being held.
    On-site health services means free health screenings every so often.
    Career progression can be slow if you want to move up positions (e.g. support -> network).

Advice to Senior ManagementI notice that the company is being run in such a way that it seems that the primary intent is for execs and other leaders to be able to exercise their stock options and sell at a good price, while at the same time giving employees a poor stock purchase plan. I think one of the biggest pieces of non-financial evidence is the fact that Napier spends a lot of time courting the media. This makes me feel unsure about the future of the company and whether leadership and employees interests are aligned.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company with some great achievements and great problems.

Windows Systems Administrator III (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsCo-workers for the most part are some of the most technically talented in the business. Senior Leadership and our CEO is very optimistic and visionary and you can't help but love the guy because he has a great personality. Free Drinks. Casual Dress Code. and Friends and Family policy.

ConsSalaries are under the industry average for just about every position. The only reason we retain any talent is due to the poor economy and nice culture. Stock Options/raises/bonuses are a joke for support floor Rackers if they are available at all. The new middle management layer has done more damage than good. Many do not understand the responsibilities of the Rackers they manage and this causes confusion and poor performance reviews based on ignorance and reading statistic spreadsheets. Nobody on the support floor seems to be appreciated at all anymore due to the disconnect between mid management and Rackers...even though Upper Management says we are the secret sauce.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop hiring more mid-managers and use the money to hire more support floor Rackers to keep Fanatical Support alive. Treat your Senior Rackers like they are worth gold..because they are. Give everyone a defined path of career advancement and please keep salaries at the industry average so we can hold on to the people who helped make Rackspace a great company to work for.

Good place to work!

San Antonio, TX

Pros- Casual dress
    - WFH opportunities
    - Flexible hours
    - Free soda & snacks
    - Breakfast and lunch always available on-site
    - Laid back atmosphere
    - Good compensation
    - Great managers and leadership
    - Passionate employees
    - Awesome support staff

Cons- Distracting open-floor atmosphere...
    - Location is on the far east side of San Antonio...
    - They outsource work that could be done in-house

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat management staff but sometimes they're overwhelmed. Perhaps more project managers would help? Better organization and clear direction to the all teams and departments would benefit this company by leaps and bounds.

Fanatical

San Antonio, TX

ProsAmazing place to work. Flexible. Possesses an awesome Culture. And our customers are amazing. If you love working with people, you will love this place.

ConsWith great culture unfortunately comes cliques, favoritism, and unfairness at times. A lot of ups and downs here but our senior leadership is amazing.

Great Place To work

San Antonio, TX

ProsNo matter what your job title, you have the ability to make change if you are passionate enough about what you are doing.

ConsMay take awhile for some to become acclimated to Rackspace and learn how to get thing done. Individual contributors have a hard time being successful here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very happy with the direction of the company. I believe we have a bright future ahead of us. Keep the focus and keep communicating the strategy.

Great culture!

Austin, TX

ProsEmployees treat each other with respect, like friends and family. I can count on my fellow co-workers to do their best.

ConsThe rate of change can be a little overwhelming at times. Sometimes that makes keeping up with information a little difficult.

Disney World for Techs - watch out! there is dark side

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFun People
    Casual dress
    BBQs
    After hours activities
    SA Fun! (email lists)

ConsBelow average pay, managers go out of their way to low ball new hires, new hires don't understand that they it's very difficult to get pay increases above 6%/year (negotiate hard before you are hired, demand a 6 month pay review and get it in writing)

No stock options or grants from front line Rackers (yet senior leaders sell millions of dollars bi-yearly)

Cut throat middle managers who make false promises

The Mall, toys at work, flags, fun and games and everything else that makes up 'Rackspace Culture'is is a big mirage to keep happy... even though you are paid below market, asked to work long hours, and not receiving thousands of dollars of company stock that your counterparts at competitors are receiving. Rackers don't leave because they love Rackspace, managers go out of their way to keep Rackers happy.

Note: Promoting and pay increases is negative measure on Rackspace Managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCCMS is huge example of career minded middle managers who went behind closed doors and didn't engage support rackers for input. Whats worse is they spoon fed a lie. Hopefully the negative NPS scores will bring some attention

Stock grants for front line rackers, rackers can't afford to buy a house let alone, let alone save for retirement, 90% of support rackers live in apartments.

The culture is awesome.

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsMy team is made up of great guys. We have a lot of fun while doing our jobs. We dress anyway we like. Very flexible hours. Great benefits package. Lots of interesting people. Many perks. Team outings. Free beverages. Snack closet. Great culture, awesome co-workers, teamwork, competence, results oriented, work/life balance, knowledge. Very fun! Outings. Career growth. Professionalism. Racker radio! Company has good faith in it's employees.

ConsSome lack of organization due to very fast growth of the company. A bit of lack of company standard processes and practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo much trust in employees can also have a downside. Some processes should be standardized and automated to improve efficiency (i.e.: Software development and testing environments setup.)

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.