Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Reviews

Pros:
  • "Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Great culture and people with lots of talents around that you could learn from"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is heavy resentment for middle management throughout the front-line support teams"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great... but not sure if its a keeper

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsGood culture, extremely laid back - but your best is expected. There are people in every team who hold their teammates accountable for quality work. Management tries to promote from within, so for the most part they are connected with what the needs of the team are.

Conscompensation, compensation, compensation. Raises are a joke, small bumps are insulting - if there isn't enough money in the pot for a decent raise, then shell out stock and a hefty bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand when the company was smaller, it was cheaper to let a heavyweight go and train up a new person. Now that the company is getting bigger $1B revenue means this is now the big leagues. You need to pay better to keep your top people, who else is going to keep your culture alive? If the average senior sysad or Engineer is only staying 3-4 years, you are losing culture and valuable experience when they move along to a competitor. 9 out of 10 rackers will tell you they LOVE this company, but at the end of the day people are going to go where the money is. Right now its a good time to be an experienced IT professional, step up or lose out.

One of the best places to work! Get on-board while we're hiring!

ProsFantastic leadership by Graham and Lanham
Laid back environment
Many on the job perks
Competitive benefits
Profit sharing and bonuses (based on performance review)
Peer and management performance reviews to offer helpful feedback and incentivise fanatical effort

ConsCommunication has been complicated at times
Growth has been rampant, so changes are very common

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need the VP level management to be as competent as our Director level management- get rid of the busybodies and promote successful, technically inclined management up.

Keep up the great work!

Great place, but some aspects are hyped up.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace

ProsTechnical people are looked upon favorably.
Lots of opportunity to advance skillset on the job.
You can actually reach upper level people (CEO, chairman, etc).
There is indeed free soda, coffee, and tea.
It seems that leveling up within a position is quite consistent and regular (e.g. support 1 -> support 2).

ConsGym is composed of solely of machines and dumbbells (no barbells for people who want to lift weights).
The "cafe" mentioned is non-existent as far as I can tell.
Free snacks is limited to apples and bananas.
There is no official carpool program, although they list this as a perk (in fact, from what I observed there is no employee carpool, just friends who carpool).
Rackspace University is geared towards IT and Management/Business, with other classes taking a backseat or not being held.
On-site health services means free health screenings every so often.
Career progression can be slow if you want to move up positions (e.g. support -> network).

Advice to Senior ManagementI notice that the company is being run in such a way that it seems that the primary intent is for execs and other leaders to be able to exercise their stock options and sell at a good price, while at the same time giving employees a poor stock purchase plan. I think one of the biggest pieces of non-financial evidence is the fact that Napier spends a lot of time courting the media. This makes me feel unsure about the future of the company and whether leadership and employees interests are aligned.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fanatical

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsAmazing place to work. Flexible. Possesses an awesome Culture. And our customers are amazing. If you love working with people, you will love this place.

ConsWith great culture unfortunately comes cliques, favoritism, and unfairness at times. A lot of ups and downs here but our senior leadership is amazing.

Great Place To work

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsNo matter what your job title, you have the ability to make change if you are passionate enough about what you are doing.

ConsMay take awhile for some to become acclimated to Rackspace and learn how to get thing done. Individual contributors have a hard time being successful here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very happy with the direction of the company. I believe we have a bright future ahead of us. Keep the focus and keep communicating the strategy.

The culture is awesome.

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsMy team is made up of great guys. We have a lot of fun while doing our jobs. We dress anyway we like. Very flexible hours. Great benefits package. Lots of interesting people. Many perks. Team outings. Free beverages. Snack closet. Great culture, awesome co-workers, teamwork, competence, results oriented, work/life balance, knowledge. Very fun! Outings. Career growth. Professionalism. Racker radio! Company has good faith in it's employees.

ConsSome lack of organization due to very fast growth of the company. A bit of lack of company standard processes and practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo much trust in employees can also have a downside. Some processes should be standardized and automated to improve efficiency (i.e.: Software development and testing environments setup.)

Fanatical!

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros-Great culture (people and environment)
-Solid Financials (security)
-Strong Analysts ratings
-Good Customer Scores (net promoter)
-Progressive Technology
-Great cost of living and no state tax
-Hires the best of the best

Cons-so fast paced and tons of change that is exciting, but also exhausting
-high expectations
-internal communication, but mostly because so faced pace
-mindshare (needs to spend more $ on marketing-not on quality of brand which is awesome, but more on awareness of brand)

Advice to Senior ManagementLove that all the execs are on the floor, but they are not always around. Awesome when they are because the leaders fuel the environment. More vacation or sabatical program! :)

Good

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsFun environment and culture, cutting edge work, the company is in an exciting stage.

ConsSlightly below average pay, ridiculous expectations for certain departments and teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore stock options for employees if they truly are interested in allowing employees to save for their future.

Packed with innovation, creativity and the ability to grow

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros- The Rackers (Amazing group of people!)
- The commitment to constant improvement
- The ability to innovate
- Very open environment that encourages communication at all levels

Cons- Things change fast (you must have a flexible attitude towards work)
- With so many things going on across the organization, it's hard to stay in the loop with everything

Advice to Senior ManagementDo everything possible to highlight and maintain the amazing culture at Rackspace through engaging Rackers at all levels throughout the organization.

Great place for great people

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsRackers have autonomy around how they approach their work. There is very little limiting structure/process in most areas. Rackspace is a meritocracy. Smart, hard working people can do whatever they want.

ConsAutonomy can lead to inconsistent execution. It also takes new hires a bit longer to learn how to do things the Rackspace way. Fast growth results in frequent changes, which can be frustrating to some.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop technical leaders. There are lots of great business leaders who don't understand the technology. This can lead to slow or incorrect decisions.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.