Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros:
  • "Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Great culture and people with lots of talents around that you could learn from"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is heavy resentment for middle management throughout the front-line support teams"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Channel Manager

Channel Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsRespect for employees by recognizing life/work balance. lots of opportunity for growth. great company

Conslots of products and services that can be a bit overwhelming

Advice to Senior Managementconsidering the history and tracking of RAX, the management seems to be doing their job

good place to work and grow your skillsets.

Network Security Administrative I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Prosthey encourage and help you grow in your career

Consraises are hard to come by. If you want a raise you have to level up which requires additional work.

Creativity, Freedom, Innovation, and Atmosphere

Information Security Risk Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

ProsYou just don't find many "Rackspaces" these days

ConsNone that come to mind.

The culture is gone

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 8 years

ProsRackspace tries to implement the "old" culture by bringing in slides and things that they believe will make it look like it's a fun environment, when in reality it isn't. They do have a coffee shop that is really good though...

ConsManagement no longer cares about their employees, and is actively trying to slim down the workforce through attrition, which was told to me by HR. They no longer care about keeping good talent but would rather have them leave and bring in people they can pay less for. If you're looking to change position, you should look outside the company as the entire company is on a hiring freeze as was also told to me by HR. You are no longer rewarded for bringing up ideas or having a voice, now you are yelled at or berated by your manager, and when you speak up HR takes the side of management even though you have a recording of your manager yelling at you. I actually had to start recording my one on one's to have proof that the harassment was happening, and still HR didn't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually care about your employees and their concerns, don't just dismiss them. Don't yell or berate them, especially in front of other employees which my manager did several times, and not even to myself. Also, they need to read up on rules and regulations about hiring. Just because a woman can get pregnant or wants to have a baby is NOT a good reason to dismiss her application for hiring onto the team.

I hope Graham can turn things around and fix a lot of these issues as I have faith in him, he's a good person.

Amazing experience so far!

Network Security Administrative I (Current Employee)

ProsAwesome headquarters
A lot of training opportunities
Very fun workplace
Great work/life balance
On-site gym
Friendly coworkers
Always something going on!

ConsIf you don't like to randomly get hit with nerf darts at any given point in the day, then you probably shouldn't work here...

Advice to Senior ManagementI think senior management as done a great job making each Racker feel important and part of the Rackspace family. My only advice is to keep on keep'n on!

Take it or leave it.

Linux Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsCasual Environment
Decent technology
Coworkers are mostly friendly

Overall, this place is okay, just okay. Probably a good place to start a career, the name carries some weight for sure. You can stay here a few years and really get your chops up. I do not have the political acumen to even begin to advance in this company.

ConsInitial training is lacking. Someone who is experienced in the managed hosting business will be able to adapt quickly. Individuals that are starting their career might get left behind by lack of training and workload pressure.

Company has a hard time hiring and retaining senior staff for support roles. The teams end up stacked with many new people that might just be starting their technical career.

Very competitive and political. One of the processes for advancement is to groom people for their votes. You need to make friends and go out of your way to be seen. Many people who advance are just very vocal about what they do. If you are a quiet person that is not always looking for a pat on the back you may have a hard time advancing.

Merit and cost of living raises do not exist in this dojo! You get a salary and they will continue to pay you that salary forever. You need to get promoted to get a higher salary and that is maybe 6-8% increase. The highly political nature of the advancement process means you probably will not get a promotion. I was granted some options upon hire but the strike price is poor, the number of options too little and the vesting period of 4 years makes them not worth much. if the stock doubled and I stayed for the full 4 years you are looking at maybe $2000 after taxes. It's not enough to keep most people hanging on for that long. I have heard rumors of RSU being granted but I have never met anyone that admitted to receiving them. These must be reserved for managers and bargaining chips. There is a 10% bonus on your salary assuming the company does well. You may even get paid more than 10% bonus in some quarters. You will probably end up with 5-6% bonus attainment annually.

There is a good chance that your manager will be completely non technical. I understand the need for managers, but i'm not quite sure what these guys do. Their only functions seem to be talking to you about your goals and stats and relaying information from higher up. When it comes to scheduling, time off, and conflict resolution there is much to be desired. Do not expect your manager to get in the trench with you when the going gets tough. On busy days they will cancel everyone's lunch break by way of "bringing lunch in, because you guys are working so hard!". This is a coded message meaning you need to be eating lunch at your desk and working. People up the leadership chain will send out token thank you messages but all this does is make you ask "What do these people do?!?!" even more.

There is heavy resentment for middle management throughout the front-line support teams. The manager of one of the daytime technical support teams was previously a manager for the recruitment team. This person has absolutely no technical knowledge and his team has no respect for him, yet he holds on and management further up the chain has no idea.

Company touts itself as being a flat organization. The CEO will talk to you in Rookie Orientation and say the company is flat. The fact that there are 6 people between you and the CEO determined that was a lie.

Rookie Orientation is creepy. You will spent 5 full working days in a company orientation program. This program really gets you excited about the company and feels like a brainwashing camp. Some people come out of the program and it wears off after a while. For other more impressionable people it sticks with them for a long time. It can be hard when talking to other coworkers and not knowing who is still plugged into the matrix. The company talks a lot about the top strengths of the individual employees and how they use those strengths to get the best out of them. Once you are out of Rookie Orientation these strengths are never mentioned again. Core values are also things that are touted by the leadership teams but in reality they are not getting used on a day to day basis. The senior leadership and people who run the orientation live in some fantasy where they think strengths and core values get any attention at all outside of the orientation program.

Your support stats, tickets done, and phone calls answered are tracked and constantly critiqued. Other members of your team will try to steal your tickets so they get credit for them. Imagine you worked with a client for 3 days straight on a build out. Then another member of the support staff swoops in and assigns the ticket to themselves, not cool.

High school like atmosphere. The company is fun and encourages people to have fun. However trying to get work done at the company HQ can be challenging. It's a giant, sprawling cube farm with tons of noise. This environment may work well for some, but for others it can be difficult to focus. Incestuous working environment, everyone is sleeping with everyone else. In-office relationships are not forbidden and not even frowned upon. This leads to all kinds of extra drama that has no business in the office. You can't have a relationship with a manager though, that is against the code of conduct.

Really consider things before relocating for this company. They make it seem like San Antonio is a great place to work because of the cost of living. Sure, Texas has no state tax but this also means they pay you as little as they can get away with. Rackspace is also one of the few tech companies in town. If you decide to leave the company or get let go you will be at a huge disadvantage for finding work. You can go up the road to Austin but the market there is getting saturated and is very competitive. Think about it!

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit your middle management. There is a lot of dead weight. Front-line support teams need strong technical leaders that fight with them in the trenches. You have troops that are confused and ineffective because they are not being lead, only managed.

Great Place to Work

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEnvironment
Intelligent coworkers
Work/Life Balance
Vision and Direction of company is positive

ConsSometimes too laid back which can sometimes distract you

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

The only place I have worked where the company genuinely values the employees.

Linux Systems Administrator III (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros1. Rackspace cares about "Rackers" more than anything else. It is not just hype.
2. There is a strong "promote from within" atmosphere.
3. The company works "fanatically" at creating a culture where Rackers "Treat Each Other Like Friends and Family". This, more than anything else, is the main reason I could stand the Texas heat and still be working with Rackspace.
4. Great opportunities for training and skill development are everywhere.

Cons1. It gets very hot in Texas.
2. Salaries are somewhat on the low end.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose the culture!

Incredible opportunities, but your success feels dependent on your direct manager and your landing place.

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

ProsCome as you are attitude. Laid back environment. Incredible senior leaders and vision.

ConsCultural pockets. Change for the sake of change. Identity crisis.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop and listen.

Slow decline of culture, but a good career builder if location fits

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Lots of internal opportunity if you put your head down and work for a few years before popping up to lead
- Doesn't feel like a 5000 person company
- If you stay out of SAT, politics aren't bad
- The "racker" family culture is real, infectious and fun
- New hires can demand good salaries

Cons- Growing "middle class" of managers who don't produce results, no accountability
- Senior leadership changes strategy every 6 months, no accountability
- New politicians steering ship into ground (as they did at Yahoo, Microsoft...)
- Hiring freezes every few months while some departments make "opportunistic hires" that do absolutely nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the wrong people off the bus. Talk to those doing the work. Identify the real leaders. Keep strategy simple and steady.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All 401 reviews posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.