Rackspace Reviews

4 reviews filtered by
  • Grapevine, TX
1.9
Taylor Rhodes

Used to be a great company

Former Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician II in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician II in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rackspace created an amazing culture and the work environment has been very laid back. There are always events going on from raffles to cookouts to team outings that kept working with fellow Rackers feeling like one big weekend lan party, everyone felt like they were friends instead of just coworkers, which leads into some of the cons.

Cons

I worked within the data center so some of this may not apply to Castle. Management tends to be very forgetful, doesn't pay much attention to team members unless something goes wrong, and as the company grew from several hundred to 4000 rackers and beyond, a lot of the policies changed. With the speed of it's growth, many policies would change multiple times within a quarter. Time off wasn't much of an issue, if you had the eto and wanted a night off, you could easily take it, but submitting for a sabbatical, it became a lengthy process that had to be reviewed before it got approved, which is understandable as it does need planning within your team to provide coverage. Though if you make one mistake, your sabbatical can be denied and you will have to wait until the next calendar year before being able to apply again. You're also requested to document how you spent your time and to create a presentation to show the rest of the company which can somewhat seem like homework over summer vacation. Pay was also a bit under the average for this type of position. At one point they did a study and found that they were paying much higher than the similar companies for the same positions. This caused a restructure that became a reoccurring thing. As mentioned being a pro, having the feeling that everyone was more of a friend than a coworker also has it's negatives. As they allow family to work together and encourage Rackers to refer their friends who would fit in well with the culture, you can see where this played a role in inner office politics and where management seemed to take part in. Nepotism would go overlooked and at times seemed to be rewarded, and there seemed to be "clicks" that you would fall in and out of over time.

Take the time to acknowledge your employees/team members. Even a small compliment to their work can boost their moral exponentially. Allow them to move positions to another team to further their experiences and expertise.

Culture only matters at the corporate office, everywhere else it's non existant

Former Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Full time work, a steady paycheck. Great location if you live in Tarrant or Dallas county but limited by geographical locations otherwise.

Cons

No room for advancement unless you wish to move to San Antonio. Leadership asks for complete honesty then retaliates when it is given instead of listening to the honest and candid comments of their employees. Salary is below industry standard. When a worker is unhappy they are replaced instead of engaged in conversation.

Leadership is a skill just like any other. Taking the best technician on the floor and making them a team lead or manager doesn't make them a leader. Pay more attention to your remote sites. Seeing all the perks that the staff at the home office enjoy like play time, free breakfast and such is degrading to the staff at the remote sites who don't get to enjoy all the freebies.

I develop systems and applications to streamline processes and automate procedures within the datacenter.

Current Employee - Sys Admin/App Engineer/Developer in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Sys Admin/App Engineer/Developer in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

EXCELLENT culture. People get along, for the most part, and that contributes to Rackspace's success.

Rackspace IS, plain and simple, a customer-oriented company...and it will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy.

Though a good work-ethic is required to do well, Rackspace offers a very laid back atmosphere where you aren't hovered over while doing your job.
    (As I said, whether this is a pro or con really depends on your self-discipline in work ethic)

Cons

Terrible management organization. There are countless numbers of VPs...and lower-level managers generally have 3-4 people they report to. This company is entirely bloated (as opposed to flat) and not quite big enough to require such a structure.
    Ultimately this means that getting anything big done is next to impossible.

Some level of bureaucracy is to be expected in any company....but the amount that exists at Rackspace can, at times, make your job to impossible at times.

Flatten the leadership structure.
    Although customer-facing resources are very important....internal resource allocation and management needs to be vastly improved to sustain things.

Meh. Good place to work to get into the industry...but overall, no place you really want to stay at IMO.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Great culture among coworkers.
    Laid back.
    Overall, the customer-support oriented of the company works generally very well.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy (more so than normal).
    Extremely inefficient management model (get ready to report to about 5 different managers and 5 OTHER VPs).

The internally-focused portion of the company (note this does NOT apply to the customer-facing portion of the company) has the worst track record of success and efficiency that I can think of.
    (I am primarily talking about internal development as that is the area that I work in)

To qualify my response, I will say that I have made my way in Rackspace through reputation and a history of successful projects. I am known for being "the guy who gets it done when the people who are supposed to get it done cant/wont".

The biggest reason I had to become "that guy" was due to the incredibly inefficient management model.

Flatten the company...there are WAY too many VPs and WAY too many levels of management.

To me, as an employee, this means that I have way too many people to report to any time I need to get something done...and therefore my job is highly inefficient.
    It also means there are way too many potentials toes I might step on to get anything done as well.

This problem has impeded my work and efficiency from day 1...and it has even prevented my progression within the company. To get around this, I've had to go under the radar on many projects for many resources just to get my job done.