Rackspace Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Good promotion of work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Much middle management has no technical skill (in 33 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 13 reviews)

1. Great Place to Work.....go for it!!

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

- Highly engaged culture with great core values. - Highly acquisition and sales led organisation. - Great customer service and value proposition in their marketplace. - Global proposition. - Superb innovation roadmap.

Cons

- Billion dollar start up can sometimes be difficult to adapt to change.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing....it works.

2. Truly fanatical!

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many pros of working at Rackspace - the culture, the amazing people, the focus on supporting customers and the facilities and benefits. Quarterly sales incentive trips, 'fun budget' for team building outings on a regular basis are just a couple of these.

Cons

Sometimes the focus on people makes Rackspace a challenging place to work.

3. Really nice company

Current Employee - Linux Systems Operations Administrator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Good company to work, great atmosphere

Cons

Much better if you work in the US office(s)

5. Great customer service organisation

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Customer service really is at the heart of this technology company

Cons

Super fast growing pains around process management

Advice to Management

Hire for attitude and promote from within. Start a Management Training scheme in ANZ

Great company frustrating middle management

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Hayes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Hayes, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great learning potential, always involved with the latest tech. Great knowledgeable colleagues.

Cons

Pay is shy of what can be achieved no more than a couple of minutes down the road. Middle management are very frustrating!!

Advice to Management

Your technical teams are your bread and butter, look after them, value them and you won't lose them. Stop introducing silly hurdles that even you wouldn't want to climb. Think about what motivates you... Money, and help get your techs decent salaries with great incentives.

Sales Role

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

Good Office space, Good Induction programme, good people in the Training department

Cons

Working for Rackspace is all about perception management - It does not matter how much revenue you bring in for the company. Its all about how you are perceived by the senior management. There were issues right from the start - the interview process was chaotic and HR and the line managers were totally disconnected. Everyone was singing a different tune and giving me diverse messages - that should have been my red flag . However I blissfully ignored it , completely swayed by the very cool culture I was told about - casual wear, nerf guns, beer sessions on Friday etc etc. What a mistake! In the job, I quickly realized that the Sales team , quite contrary to the happy image I was portrayed, are an extremely unhappy bunch who never seem to consistently hit target ( doing 90% is considered respectable) and are constantly frustrated by their managers because of the lack of direction. Account bases are a complete mess and a nightmare for the new starters who always get saddled with the useless accounts ( and NO this is not what happens everywhere - just to clarify to the RS team!) Honesty and transparency is promised but reality is very different... I think it is a great place to work for the tech and support teams ( from what I could see) but if you are looking to work in a dynamic sales environment , run in the opposite direction !!!

Advice to Management

Don't be swayed by perceptions, Have a strategy and a plan, be genuine and honest to your team!

Not Terrific, Not Terrible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly pleasant work colleagues Large company Relaxed dress code Fantastic first job environment, especially for those without prior skills Lots of social events

Cons

In-house developed automation rarely works There is a tendency to offer customers anything and everything; no real focus Isolated siloes of information and expertise Depending on the team, environment can be cliquish Many Rackers do not live the much touted Core Values; culturally insensitive jokes are not uncommon

Advice to Management

Continue to unify teams across geographic areas. Work towards lessening the animosity between US and International Rackers Mangers could benefit from more training and mentoring Include feedback from technical non-managers and support specialists before offering new technology products

A dynamic and caring Employer, tries hard to maintain the startup feeling while adding enterprise rigor.

Current Employee - Cloud Solutions Architect in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cloud Solutions Architect in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with and will go the extra mile to assist customers and you in assisting customers. In return they expect high standards from you also. A bad 'Racker' will not be left in the dark about their poor performance. There are many opportunities for development of yourself and taking on new challenges within the company. People move around the business frequently building their spheres of knowledge and spheres of influence. They are care more about how hard and try your aptitude than your previous experience. There are some very good people here and getting in can be tough; You'll need to show positivity, resilience and also do your homework to be considered.

Cons

I've found they are usually behind on hiring which means you are taking on more than you would want to in-order to meet your customer's needs. Depending on your role you may find you'll need to justify why things have not been delivered at the end of your review period. In my experience it's because of high expectations and a lack of time. That said it's always been considered during those reviews.

Advice to Management

Get on-top of recruitment and don't take too much from the bank of good-will your employees have for you. It's also not always possible for rackers who like you (most of them) to stay due to market pressures elsewhere (pay/hours), it also explains why hires are harder to find, sometimes you've just got to dig a little deeper into the pockets to get the people (in and on-time) to deliver your promises.

10. Incredible company

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rackers Office Culture Pay Be yourself Lack of hierarchy - managers are generally good

Cons

Hayes Snap strategy decisions Lack of documentation Salaries are woefully variable - to get a payrise threaten to leave

Advice to Management

Plan more, invest in more enterprise grade planning

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In 25+ years in IT, I have rarely worked in an environment with such a high proportion of committed, enthusiastic, energetic and (usually) expert colleagues. This definitely makes Rackspace a rewarding place to work

Cons

The flip side of working alongside the committed, high-energy colleagues is that you are expected to deliver results, and constantly raise the bar. This is no bad thing, but equally anyone looking for an easy ride should probably not apply

Advice to Management

Keep focused, don't get distracted, stay scrappy. Fight the culture of entitlement, and make sure Rackers work as hard and smart today as they did "back in the day". We are getting better all the time, and the only thing that will pull us down is when we feel we deserve a seat at the top table ~by right~

RSS Feed </> Embed