Rackspace

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great please to learn how to make things at scale

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will be exposed to some of the largest deployments in the world, and learn how to make them scale up. There is lots of opportunity for growth. If you work hard and are good at what you do you can move up quickly. If you get bored and like to move around there is plenty of opportunity for that too. The people are great and generally speaking have a good attitude and enjoy being at work. Every team I have been on was very close and most former and current team members will be friends for life.

Cons

Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult. The internet is NEVER closed. Make sure to maximize your salary before you start because if you start with a low salary its difficult to get it corrected. Ive seen many people leave for money only to return 6 months to a year later because it was the only way they could get their salary corrected. It also seems like if you dont work on something directly related to OpenStack or support you can be treated like a 2nd class citizen.

Take care of your current employees salaries so they dont feel like they have to leave to get what they are worth.

Overall great experience, fun work environment. Friends and family atmosphere.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company that exudes core values on a daily basis. They take them very seriously. Leadership emphasizes transparency with employees.

Cons

A little disorganized on the business side. Not a clear path of growth and undetermined management track. It is hard to tell where you will be in 5-10 years with the company.

Great work life balance. I would recommend increasing salary and intern pay. Company should look into relocation fees. The colleges they recruit at are typically outside of San Antonio and the company doesn't help with housing.

Wonderful place to work, filled with great people and exciting opportunities.

Current Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture and values are clearly shared among Rackers. It is a company that has a lot of potential. People enjoy working there.

Cons

Industry is highly competitive with big players that may affect the company's future.

Hold on to that competitive advantage - Fanatical Support - which differentiates you from every company in the world.

In growing up, Rackspace has lost a bit of the culture that made it such a great place to work

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid product offering, fantastic customer support

Cons

Instability at the Sr.Leadership level

gone down hill from what it use to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will make a lot of great friends and learn a lot.

Cons

office politics are too strong here. You will get turned down for transfers after interviewing because it is not what you know, but who you know. Many techs are leaving due to mismanagement and low industry pay.

Act like we were before we went public. Be a leader, not a manager. Stand up for your employeers instead of just saying yes to your superiors.

The new Rackspace (not what it use to be but better than most)

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Rackers and Core Values. Friends and Family - it's really a thing.
    Work-Life Balance for most.
    Leading-edge technology that's really does make the Internet work!

Cons

Political agendas and the "Strategy Boys" - stay true to the mission of providing Fanatical Support.
    The Transparency Core Value is great but be prepared to see (or get caught in) the political battles first hand.

Rackers know that Fanatical Support is the essence of what makes us great. Stay on this mission.
    There are way too many cooks in the kitchen and quite frankly their battles are exhausting. Taylor needs to clean house and get rid of some of the "Strategy Boys".

What an unbelievable company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As I'm sure most other reviews note - its all about the culture at Rackspace - the core values are actually principles every Racker lives by - such as treat fellow Rackers like friends and family, results over flash and be transparent. It is a very exciting and dynamic organization full of very bright, competent people striving towards becoming one of the greatest services organizations in the world.

Cons

Its a big company, with a lot of growth, so change is ever present - if you aren't flexible, this is not the organization for you.

Now that the 8k is over and senior leadership has been selected, I look forward to holding to our strategy

soft engineer

I have been working at Rackspace part-time

Pros

good environment, nice building, nice people

Cons

delay of product delivery... ... ...

This place is not moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work on a plethora of issues, really great co workers, personal growth in terms of learning

Cons

Where to start...low pay, too much of teacher pet of employee promotions and reviews. They are killing all the culture benefits like the events they use to have such as racktober fest in order to increase their bottom line. This isn't the same company as it use to be, but now just your regular any other company.

Your people are leaving because if it is just another mistreated, low paying company. They can be mistreated elsewhere for twice the money. I have seen people also turned down during interviews just because they missed 1 question during a 3 hour interview. You will not get good talent when you have these macho attitudes of people being afraid of being de-throned by someone else smarter coming in. This happens over and over...

Great Company to work for - Flexible, Latest Technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible
    Exciting Technology
    Work life balance
    Support Tools
    Team Support

Cons

Structure
    Location of the Office