Rackspace Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Good promotion of work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Much middle management has no technical skill (in 33 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 13 reviews)

1. Linux administrator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience and management are always there to help

Cons

For the admin portion, you'll find your knowledge ceiling quickly

Culture Out for good

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As always, my fellow Rackers are the best. Great coworkers can make any job worth it.

Cons

The list continues to grow. Rackspace has built its business on two major things: 1) That we are a service company, where Rackers volunteer their best on behalf of the customer. 2) That Rackspace's culture is what drives Rackers to continue to volunteer their best. "Leadership" is an all white, almost all male, primarily MBA/BBA cast - who now mostly hails from old Enterprise IT like EDS, HP, Microsoft, Dell, etc. The largest single contributor is EDS - a company whose primary focus beyond government contracts was working their employees into the ground, but not before pitting them against each other to tear each other down in the efforts of propelling their own self-interests forward. The Leadership team feels that things are wrong at Rackspace, and that it needs a major change. What does that leadership feel is wrong with the current trajectory of Rackspace? Is it their leadership? Why, no, not at all! The problems facing Rackspace are the Rackers, of course. It's the culture! Rackers are entitled. Rackers aren't thankful. Rackers ask for too much, and deliver too little. Is Management too bloated? Is the company too top-heavy? Of course not! Is Leadership's sole focus reacting to the market rather than providing a singular vision for the company's future? Of course not! We have ideas! Let's have a reorganization! Hey, did you know some people have to work at two jobs to make ends meet? Stop criticizing our decisions and work harder! We don't want to hear that Rackers have been forced into lesser work due to them having to constantly CYA! Why would they have to CYA? Just be perfect! Every. Single. Time. Like a Robot! Aren't you a robot? We don't want to hear that you're underpaid compared to the rest of the industry! We don't want to hear that you're unhappy we forced you to move to San Antonio, knowing that you can't quit because you found out you have nowhere else to go! We don't want to hear that management would rather burn a great Racker who's critical of our outdated processes, rather than a Racker who skates by but looks good on paper! We don't want to learn the lessons of the nimble cloud that allows our competitors to stay ahead of the game! Hey, let's say we're going to reduce roadblocks, but instead implement more processes to make Rackers even less efficient! Oh, but let's make sure to blame front-line Rackers for that inefficiency. Why? Because if we blame leadership or management, well then that might make US look bad! Hrm, we need more sales. You know who would make great sales-people? Our techs and account managers! Let's get them to start up-selling to customers now, because... you know, that's what they came to Rackspace to do! We only want to hire the best of the best. Just like Netflix, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, Google, and all of the other companies that pay more and/or offer better benefits to their employees! Now, we don't want to pay the best, but our MBA Degrees tell us that'll be just fine! Oh, and you can't work remote. I know we're in IT. I know we have the infrastructure for it. I know you don't want to move to San Antonio. But if you're not physically here, you're not worth the time. Honestly, we really don't want to have to train our managers to be remote-friendly. Really though, down here on the front lines and at the bottom of the pile, I've learned that giving my best depends on who my manager is. When I've had great managers, giving my best has been a lot easier. Not a cake-walk, mind you. Our terrible processes and increasing focus on sales continues to drive a dagger in my side every single day I come to work, but a good manager can make the out of touch decisions by "leadership" a bit less onerous. And when I've had terrible managers, I've learned that it's best to skate by until my terrible manager gets promoted and the new manager comes along in the next few months. It's really pretty sad. But while I might be cynical about Rackspace, our Leadership is far more cynical than I could ever be. Leadership is 100% convinced that of the entire IT industry, Rackers are so entitled that we choose not to even work. It has nothing to do with the structure surrounding those Rackers. Nothing to do with the leadership and management that built and supports that structure. No, somehow Rackspace just inexplicably hired the most entitled, lazy employees in IT. That's a pretty dim view of your employees, but I guess that's what the echo chamber of management has been telling them.

Advice to Management

At this point, it's clear the only advice they take is from Wall Street. Rackers certainly aren't being listened to. For anyone else, remember: A team is only as reflection of its leadership.

3. Network Adminstrator

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment, you get to touch a lot of equipment and are challenged on a daily basis with complex issues.

Cons

Can be very demanding, for new admins it's a lot to learn and can be overwhelming at times but it's worth it.

Working at Rackspace

Pros

Awesome environment to wok in and the Managers are easy to speak to and have an open door policy.

Cons

Corporate changes are constantly changing. Constantly needing to adapt to the changes which appear to happen quarterly.

Fantastic environment and culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rackers are committed and passionate, without being obnoxious about it. Truly it was the best working environment I've ever had in my 25-year career. An open, energetic workspace with a casual, geeky vibe. Not a lot of nonsense, just a lot of dedication. Great perks, including a high-quality gym and crossfit, free sodas, and interesting on-site food options.

Cons

The corporate strategy changes quarterly it seems, which can give you whiplash. The lack of consistent direction means a lot of your work can end up being wasted when the executive of the month introduces a new path. It's a start-up culture trying to grow up, so often it seems that no one is in charge.

A great place to intern!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Rackspace (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of fun interning at Rackspace. And they do great work! There was so much to learn!

Cons

I can't think of any.

Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great atmosphere Inspiring mission the company treats you well CEO is one of the best leaders i have worked in 20 years in the industry

Cons

Too much bureaucracy middle management not trusted to do what they are hired for A lot of 1st time hires who don't know how good they have it, whining about the wrong things.

Advice to Management

The company needs to let the mid management do their job, eliminate the layers of approvals. If a manager can't do their job fire them and hire a manager who can Take away the paperwork inhibiting rackers from doing their job. Cut back on the number VP's , they are inefficient

Engineer

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Nice people, lots of things to learn, very stable job

Cons

Bunch of lazy people in the team that watch youtube all day long not doing work or doing minimal. That adds more work to hard working people. Burns out very quick because of work load, I have to work over 13 hours a day sometimes because lack of coverage and head count. Manager barely show up at work. Lazy people rate lazy manager high feedback so no one gets trouble and nothing get fixed. Pay is not even close to the market. They try to fix this but company is doing just ok so I kind of understand that.

Advice to Management

Watch out those employees that watch youtube or surf online all day long, get rid of them if you have to. Reward hard working/ creative employees and pay them well. I know Rackspace is trying to be a great place to work but people get the wrong idea that Rackspace is a great place not to work.

10. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Cloud Solutions Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cloud Solutions Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and a great path to internal success.

Cons

None that I can think of.

A stepping stone turned into a trap

Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is good. Benefits are acceptable. Time off is on par.

Cons

Pay is well below market. Promotions are mainly tenure based. That means you can do amazing work consistently, and still be passed up for a promotion. There are many arbitrary rules and red tape. It becomes frustrating quickly. And, of course, as many other reviewers have stated, management is the single largest problem in the company.

Advice to Management

Fire one third to one half of the support staff. Pay the remaining employees 30% more (at least). Fire 60% of management at all levels.

RSS Feed </> Embed