Rackspace Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

1. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

The culture and the people you work with are great, nice and available. The castle has very nice office spaces and break rooms; and you can take courses to improve your professional career at the Rackspace University. There is also a gym, pool table, pin pon tables, and arcades to take a quick break.

Cons

Promotion paths don't seem very clear, they seem to be up to your manager.

Advice to Management

Try to leverage promotions across teams, some managers seem to give a lot while some others only give a few.

2. Absolutely amazing

Current Employee - Solution Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Strong culture built on core values to live by
    Inspiring leadership and a clear mission
    Great teammates and sense of purpose is strong
    Great benefits (health, dental, 401k, gym, food - the list goes on

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep true to the great culture that has been built and continue to develop and promote great people

3. Great place to Work

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator I in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator I in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

The best thing is the people you work with. The value of employees to the company focus of fanatical support.

Cons

Sometimes it seems too big and tendency for information silos can get in the way. Some benefits need to be sought out or asked for.

5. CORES, VALUES, Scalability and endless possibilities

Current Employee - Aspiring Linux Lv1 Adm
    Current Employee - Aspiring Linux Lv1 Adm

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

This is the best Company and in a world where technology is rising everyday, They seem to always stay ahead of the game 2 things come to mind Fanatical support, and QOS

Cons

Honestly, if I could muster up anything that is a con it would not be worth the effort to mention in here. Great Company and verry involved with the community.

6. GREAT COMPANY

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant - SMB in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant - SMB in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Love the culture and growth the company is going through

Cons

none at this point, my experience has been great.

7. Rackspace is a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Still get paid a bonus
    Great work life balance
    Good coworkers
    Fun work environment
    Strengths based management that focuses on what you are good at rather than making you spend all of your time improving what you hate to do.

Cons

Becoming more corporatized which sometimes makes decision making take longer than it should.
    Communication could be better.
    Company tries to be unnecessarily Eco-friendly.

Advice to Management

Stick with what got you where you are.
    Embrace those that rock the boat from time to time because they often do it for good reason. Pushing them out of the company will come back to bite you.

Former Racker Reporting

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

There's some wicked sharp people there. I mean just unreal smart. You can learn a lot, and ramp up your skills quickly.
    The onsite gym, and lax dress code are a plus as well. The pros were enough to keep me there for over 5 years.

Cons

All those smart people? Yeah, they're leaving due to inept management from the directors on down. They don't listen to the front line/engine room rackers. Headcount is a joke. Queue volume would be if it weren't so absurdly terrible. Pay isn't close to competitive. Tuition reimbursement and 401k are a joke as well.
    Oh, and if you mention any of this in your exit interview, even in the most professional, and diplomatic manner possible, there are some senior leaders who will black ball you within the org, making it impossible for you to come back, even if you wanted to. That statement of "ineligible for rehire" can also cause you issues with future employment as well, depending on the degree of background investigation that is done. All of this is symptomatic of the petty, vindictive, wrong headed, nature which seems to be heart and soul of middle management.

Advice to Management

Get your house in order. And by that I mean scorched earth from the directors to shift leads. You're a 1.6-ish billion dollar company, and the inept clowns you have running the ship still seem to think they're running out of dirty point.
    Pay your people properly, staff up properly (I'm looking right at you Schofield. You can want all the bulldozers you want, but until they're operational, you need to keep adding guys with shovels. Or keep losing your high end staff, and customers.. your choice), treat your employees like they matter - the way it used to be done. I mean, SugarBear bailed? You have to know the culture is dead, and you're killing it.
    In close, I'll quote NOFX:
    Lifeboats are useless without rescue
    The only ships show up for salvage
    When setting sail on the St. Louis
    We all knew what consequences could be
    With the crew we had at the controls

Good people, meh company

Former Employee - Linux Administrator I/II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Administrator I/II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People here are often very smart. I usually felt quite valued on my team and my boss was absolutely fantastic. I loved the people I worked with. The work wasn't too bad for my team as well.

The work life balance is pretty awesome. Generally time off is approved and you get a lot of it. Working holidays is a great way to boost your time off if you don't care about a particular holiday! It was really conducive to me traveling which is something I absolutely love.

Cons

Their pay is fairly low and they are cutting benefits. They are "corporatizing" as you might expect of a company this size. You definitely feel trapped, *ESPECIALLY* if you are on second or third shift. Do you wanna get off 3rd? Say goodbye to 15% of your salary and some of the benefits of third (namely 4/10s). Do you want to get a promotion or out of your department? Good luck, they'll hold you hostage in your department as long as possible, and try to keep you from getting jobs elsewhere in the company.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees, and stop cutting benefits for one. Certainly you can see that you're having a relatively high turnover rate? When asked in an open book what was done with exit interview data, the VP speaking didn't know and basically said he didn't think anything happened with it. Well, nice to know that exit interview time was basically a waste of air. The senior leader of my team never spoke to me once and then suddenly wanted to be best friends once I said quit. Honestly, I was kinda surprised he knew my name!

Sales Executive

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

people are great to work with and really care /rally around each other

Cons

lots of politics! this is difficult to wade through

Great company to work for

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, very driven employees, high level of customer obsession. Emerging as a major player in the cloud services, loved by customers.

Cons

Not very easy to get CAPEX and OPEX approved to support growth. Remote locations don't have the same culture as the corporate Headquarters but still quite unique and good.

Advice to Management

Identify potential technical and people leaders from remote locations. There is a lot of talent that can be used to build a strong bench for the org.

RSS Feed </> Embed