Rackspace

Updated December 19, 2014
3.6

Taylor Rhodes
1 Rating

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

SQL Business Intelligence Specialist

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

I love the people I work with and the freedom this company gives me to pursue other interests and grow my skill set.

Cons

It can feel disjointed at times and multiple people going in many directions can be frustrating.

Excellent people centric company to work for....

Current Employee - Software Developer in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management that truly cares, good plan for the future, constant technical opportunities and challenges, great work environment.

Cons

Improve a few of the time off benefits

Great place to be - Not what it once was - some ways better some ways not

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was a Racker for 4.5 years left post-IPO and came back 10 months later - Culture has changed in many ways but core of the culture remains. I've now been back almost 4 years and don't plan on leaving again. Training opportunities are better than any other place I've been. There are some middle managers that seem to have more focus on metrics than getting the team but there are more that focused on their team first.

Cons

compensation and other politics are the main reason I've seen others go however those have also had relocation to other parts of the country - I've seen no one leave and stay local - also some decisions have been made that were good for business but not handled / communicated within the core values

Remember Full Disclosure - Bad news First - some internal comms have NOT been handled well and addressed officially AFTER being called out on internal channels

Great company. HIGHLY political.

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Loved the high energy work environment. Lots of smart people doing interesting things and high willingness to engage in problem solving.

Cons

Middle management terrible. Senior management out of touch. Politics and favoritism rampant.

Politics drive your career

Current Employee - SSE in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - SSE in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, can learn a lot and make new friends

Cons

You need to play the political game to get anywhere in this company. The other reviewers also mention it, so please, keep this in mind when working here. Pay is also below average and do not let hr fool you when they say your bonus makes up for the low salary because the payout is all over the place.

treat people equally instead of who brown noses to mgmt

4 years Racker

Current Employee - Account Manager II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

company cares about you, laid back, good leadership

Cons

wasteful in the wrong areas.

Great please to learn how to make things at scale

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will be exposed to some of the largest deployments in the world, and learn how to make them scale up. There is lots of opportunity for growth. If you work hard and are good at what you do you can move up quickly. If you get bored and like to move around there is plenty of opportunity for that too. The people are great and generally speaking have a good attitude and enjoy being at work. Every team I have been on was very close and most former and current team members will be friends for life.

Cons

Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult. The internet is NEVER closed. Make sure to maximize your salary before you start because if you start with a low salary its difficult to get it corrected. Ive seen many people leave for money only to return 6 months to a year later because it was the only way they could get their salary corrected. It also seems like if you dont work on something directly related to OpenStack or support you can be treated like a 2nd class citizen.

Take care of your current employees salaries so they dont feel like they have to leave to get what they are worth.

Amazing is not enough to describe this place!

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many say that the people and culture make Rackspace unique and I agree. The motto "work hard play hard" is very true. Rackspace is a very fast paced environment and be careful not to overwork yourself. Remember that a lunch hour exists (I am guilty of that). Other Rackers have told me that they work way more than 8 hour days because they get so involved in what they are doing (because they love it), they loose track of time!

Also, if you see something you want to change to make life easier for you, your team, or a customer, you are encouraged to do it!

Also, if you are a Mac person, you can use a Mac. If you are a jeans and flip flops person, you can wear that. Rackspace encourages you to be yourself and does not force you to fit into a mold!

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Ya'll are doing a great job!

Overall great experience, fun work environment. Friends and family atmosphere.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company that exudes core values on a daily basis. They take them very seriously. Leadership emphasizes transparency with employees.

Cons

A little disorganized on the business side. Not a clear path of growth and undetermined management track. It is hard to tell where you will be in 5-10 years with the company.

Great work life balance. I would recommend increasing salary and intern pay. Company should look into relocation fees. The colleges they recruit at are typically outside of San Antonio and the company doesn't help with housing.

Wonderful place to work, filled with great people and exciting opportunities.

Current Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture and values are clearly shared among Rackers. It is a company that has a lot of potential. People enjoy working there.

Cons

Industry is highly competitive with big players that may affect the company's future.

Hold on to that competitive advantage - Fanatical Support - which differentiates you from every company in the world.