Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros:
  • "Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great culture and people with lots of talents around that you could learn from"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

TOP HEAVY like upside-down pyramid...but great for people with the right mind set, see below

N/A (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- You'll work with amazing, fun, talented people

- Tons of opportunity to learn and grow both professionally, technically and personally

- A few really strong leaders who care about people and are wicked smart (find them and build that relationship and you can learn a ton)

- You're not locked into a job or function, if you're ambitious you can move function / department / role until you find your spot. You'll know when you find 'the one'

- Lots of opportunity for entrepreneurial minded people (as long as you're okay with leading from behind / managing up, learn to navigate the organization, and not always getting credit). Can be immensely satisfying to see your ideas come to fruition with the right people skills and elbow grease.

- Great Culture overall

- Great overall benefits package

- Sales and Support organizations are well oiled machines and seem to be really engaged in work

- If you're a learner you'll thrive with self-development and education courses available and constant challenges / change

Cons- Some departments have layers of Executives / SVPs / VPs / Directors / Sr. Managers / Managers / Planners / Coordinators, while execution comes down to literally a handful of people....meanwhile leadership seems baffled as to why things aren't getting done...which will drive you absolutely crazy after a while.

- Senior Leadership doesn't seem to have a mature grasp on modern organizational design or be able to identify issues that are actually just symptoms of broader root-cause problems organization wide.

-So hard to get things done because of layers and layers of complexity within systems and processes due to years of fire-drills and quick-fix / workarounds across business.

- Sadly, most productive projects are those conducted by front line executors who just get rouge and fix things they see broken. Often, as soon as leadership gets pulled in things become overly complex because everyone wants to put their two cents in to prove they are a value-add and what's being solved for gets lost or doesn't happen because it's been 'de-prioritized' against something else that is likely to be 'de-prioritized' a few weeks later.

- Increasing amount of bureaucracy and cover your ass behavior ((gags))

- Compensation isn't the best although there are a few who do really well (negotiate when coming in!) and career paths are really lacking...you'll pretty much have to figure it out as you go for non-technical roles

Advice to Senior Management- Listen to your execution Rackers - they know what needs to be done and they aren't just whining. They will tell you very clearly what's most critical, what needs to be done to fix it and even how to go about. All you'll have to do is polish it up, put the right people in the room and put a solid execution plan around it. JUST LISTEN!

- Your job is to coach and develop Rackers so they can someday make change and company centric decisions without leaning on you which gives you room to grow horizontally as well and solve bigger problems / come up with better ideas. You're value doesn't go down if you're not needed, it goes up...

- Hire more technical specialists across the organization, if you have 10 skilled technical specialists and pay them really well (let's be honest SA isn't ideal for high in-demand technical resources) so they can live like kings...they can do the job of 50+ non-technical list makers / order takers.

- Start taking a zoomed out view of organizational challenges, communicating them broadly and commit to fixing them at the root. (When you have a lot of smart talented people without top-level leadership perspective on broader problems, they will just treat the symptoms within their silo with a work-around or some duct tape which a. builds unnecessary complexity and b.usually just moves symptom to another group)

- Start thinking long term regarding being a scalable organization...years of fire-drilling and workarounds has created an immense web of complexity which you just keep adding to when feeling business pains (much of what is caused by overly complex / broken systems and processes).

- Know your core KPIs and live by them. Please know your business inside and out, it's annoying when you don't and a huge time waste at so many levels.

- Try just doing your job and doing it really really well vs. chiming in on pieces of everyone else's job while doing your own at an 'acceptable' level.

Laid back - growing from medium business to a big business

BI Developer IV (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery easy going with friendly and courteous people. People are allowed to fail and work on passion projects to make the company better.

ConsSalaries on the low side. Going through large leadership change right now. Very few people ever get let go, which ends up having a lot of legacy 'fat' that slows things down.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to find a good replacement CEO for Lanham which can help take the company to the next level

Wonderful Place to work but with lots of caveats

Network Security Administrator III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJob flexibility , Transparent leaders

ConsUpper Management including Managers does not care the needs of international candidate EB2 perm process and stick with the action that would cause great loss to candidate as well as Rackspace.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a need of change in Rackspace Green card Employment program that not only attract international talent but also help in Rackspace growth and development. And also please make sure to avoid imposing rules in the promotion program that would not allow talented candidate to grow . And also there is a misunderstanding between departments for a long period of time that needs to be solved.

Good place to work and always challenging

Windows Support Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery challenging work, ability to work on many different technologies, and the people that you work with are extremely talented.

ConsSome of the culture has left, the work / life balance can be difficult to attain consistently for some positions, and the pay tends to track below averages.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter benefits, higher pay, and look toward additional satellite offices or remote work.

Overall Great Company with many perks

Devops Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work environment, lots of creative people solving interesting problems.

ConsSome jobs are better than others, entry level work can be tedious. If your willing to work hard and grow you can advance quickly into various roles from sysadmin to developers to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on customer service and less on chasing the next big thing. Don't worry about growth, instead worry about making a great experience.

Good Company

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

ProsIt was a fun place to work.

ConsLots of long hours at RS.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Good at classic hosting

Systems Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsTons of company spirit, in a good way. I say that as an introvert.

ConsI'm not sure management ever figured out what to do about Cloud Envy. Openstack is nice but "OSS for spite" isn't a strategy. (Ask Sun.)

Some of the architects are clowns who couldn't code their way out of a paper bag.

Overall company is great, has a laid back atmosphere, and is a fun place to work.

Windows Systems Administrator II (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of training available, fun environment, pretty good benefits.

ConsNot a big fan of peer ranking systems and promotions being dependent on them. Not much room for advancing in career or pay. Salaries are ok, but a lot of other companies pay 20-35% higher for the same positions. Seems like for the young, single professiona straight out of college, this is the perfect place to work. But if you have long-term career goals that include advancing in position or pay-scale, or you have a family to provide for, you might want to look elsewhere or consider this a starter job.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees for their hard work with more opportunities for advancement. Focus more on overall employee morale rather than making the office fun. All the fun and games won't make a difference if the employees don't feel their hard work is recognized and appreciated.

Immature and getting worse

Technical Project Manager III (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance. Positive attempts at promoting good atmosphere overall.
Good people generally.

ConsCompany seems to think drink stations and swag are substitutes for livelihood, unless you're an exec.
Too much like a startup, yet too big to be thinking like one.
Expertise runs last place to charisma and the buddy system .
Cultural aversion to accountability and advancement.
Constructive criticism is viewed as naysaying.
Organization is too vertical. A manager can be seen for every 4-5 reports. It's easy to watch crappy mid and Sr level management pretend they actually have to do anything.
They keep an insurance rep for their plan in the building. They say it's for better communication, but the benefits people just seem to be well 'lobbied' by the rep. No conflict of interest there.
Too many managers in critical areas that don't have the experience or a clue how to manage the group they're responsible for as they have no expertise in such an area in the first place. Placed there by good olé boys club.
Kool aid is the opium to suppress the company's internal problems and risks and discourages people from caring about a company they are passionate about.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the ra - ra mentality with everything that happens there. Own up to what works and what doesn't and quit deluding yourselves and rackers from the reality. Stop the chaotic decision making and get into the modern era with information from data. And no I don't mean dumb dashboards and spreadsheets. Let the people who know how to do those things at an advanced level raise the bar so we can know what things we can do differently or better and change our company around.

Great when I started, but now it is horrible

ProsSmart co workers
Great Friends
My pay is good because I had a rare manager who saw the good work I am doing.

Consmanagers have a buddy system and protect each other. In my 7 years there, I have seen it since day 1. We are trying to compete against the major players with openstack instead of doing what we do best, providing a managed service.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to see a trend that it is about who you know, not what you know in order to get promoted. A lot of high end techs are seeing this trend and are looking for other jobs.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All 401 reviews posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.