Rackspace Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Rackspace Focuses on its People.

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager III  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager III in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Strengths-based employment. Rackspace hires people based on talents an strengths, not just skill. Dedicated to fanatical support of customers. Very laid back culture.

Cons

Salaries are low, but other perks make up for it, such as very flexible work schedules, great medical benefits, etc.

Your management style is the best I have seen anywhere. Empowering your employees is the best way to engage them in the business to take care of your customers. Fight as much as you can from becoming too corporate.

Rackspace runs a tight ship financially. However, a great culture alone will not attract all your top talent. Try to find ways to financially compensate your people based on comparable skills in the market.

Overall this is the best palce I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator III  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Freedom to do things creativly
    Knowledge Sharing
    Feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of every day
    Get to direcly help customers solve difficlut problems
    Challenging
    Great Envoroment
    Awesome Culture
    Friends and Family
    Training Classes
    Openness between teams
    Ownership of the issue

Cons

There can be a harsh work load to Tech ratio
    If you let yourself can easily get too commited and end up tipping over your work life balance
    As long as you can compartmentalize the two and can stop thinking about work you are good
    Sometimes there seems to be a lack of accountablility

Good job navigaitng RS through these tough times, keep up the good work. The rackers on the front lines are working thier buts off every day for our customers.

There are a variety of development groups and plenty of new projects to work on.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to learn. You will usually receive appreciation for a job well done.

Cons

It would take a long time for problem employees to be dealt with.

Large projects would often have nebulous individual goals, so at the end, failures would be unexplained, which means that very little could be learned to prevent failures in the future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a job...

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

1) Laid back atmosphere; not at all stuffy
    2) Competent employees for the most part
    3) Great benefits starting on day one

Cons

1) You are expected to work EXTREMELY hard, to the point of being overworked
    2) Work/Family balance is frowned upon; want you to eat, sleep, and breathe work
    3) Lack of advancement opportunities
    4) Management has started relying way too much on metrics; almost to the point of a call center operation

There's no secret to employees that Rackspace has changed in recent years. A lot of that is centered around a big push by newly-hired management to focus way too much on numbers and reports instead of letting employees do their jobs. If you focus too much on this and not nearly enough on the welfare of your employees, you are going to push your employees away. The CEO has done a great job... people below him, the newer people who have joined in the past year and a half or so in particular, are the ones that need to re-evaluate their management style.

Good, but there's room to improve.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

1) Great senior leadership team who really cares about the people who work here
    2) Competent and talented coworkers
    3) My direct boss is a great person to work for

Cons

1) Limited advancement for many
    2) Company is moving away from the things that attracted talent in the past
    3) Sacrificed a lot for growth

Listen to the people who work for you, all of them. There seems to be a recent trend of reinforcing the senior leadership team from outside of the company. It also seems that the decisions of these people is being relied on more than it probably should be. The people who work in the trenches understand many aspects of this business the best. Listen more to what they have to say.

Accept job offer with caution

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

If you enjoy a fraternity environment, you will feel right at home

Cons

Heavy middle management, job descriptions change rapidly, slow to respond to issues

Listen to the employees, stop piling on the propaganda

...another short review

Current Employee - Network Security Administrative I  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Network Security Administrative I in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Friendly, casual atmosphere. Opportunity to learn a lot and upgrade your skill set. Transparent management. Nice benefits.

Cons

Salary can be on the lower side compared to other companies but the rest of the positives will more than make up for this con.

Good Job !

So/ So...

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

I like it... advancement ok, mana is mediocre.

Cons

Where do I start? Quite a bit to question.

Have more lenient policy on some procedural issues.

Chaos at it's finest...

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

The division I work in has a very free-spirited attitude. There are games and activities that allow the staff to mingle inside and outside of the office. Well stocked pantries and other cafeteria style amenities are great for 2nd/3rd shifters. They do well at providing you top-notch equipment to do your job.

Cons

Expect to deal with a constant lack of staffing and lack of information travel each day... often being promised that your concerns are heard but with little or no progress. There is little communication between departments so trying to get a task finished can be a bit of a hassle. Management seems to only find certain issues pressing, more often than not, they are not issues that are customer-critical. Expect an excessive amount of duties to be assigned that are not related to your job because no other department wants them. Due to the reactive nature of the company (at least this portion of the company) do not expect any sort of career advancement.

It's great that you have a visioning group of individuals running the company but it seems they often lose track of the real issues facing the company. What is often seen is a great vision but either the lack of staff to make it happen or a great idea with no real path to making it happen. Next time products are created please take suggestions from staff that have experience in the subject matter or, at the very least, take a minute to determine all of the issues you might need to address along the way.

Downward we all go

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator III  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Rackspace is a unique and challenging place to work. Environment is flexible and allows you to try new things. Have not had much layoffs given the current economy. If you are looking for executive level positions you should get exactly the compensation and golden parachute you are looking for.

Cons

Every year the benefits get worse and cost more. Bonus structure metrics are changing all the time so that bonus payouts to regular employees can be decreased and have no real correlation to performance as an employee. Cost of living raises are frozen until further notice. All this while executive leadership makes millions on stock options and grants. Friends and Family company values are a joke these days. Most of the talented technical staff has long since moved on to other companies. Training and advancement departments are useless.

Do not freeze raises and decrease bonuses so that your bonus metrics go up.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!