Rackspace Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
480 reviews filtered by
3.3
Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

1. It's been great but after 8 years it might be time for a change.

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace has been a great company to work for in the last 8 years and counting. It has been an amazing learning experience for me and I appreciate all the tools I have added to my toolkit during the years. I really like the work/life balance that the company provides- and also the many perks such as paid time off, 401K and benefits.

Cons

My concerns are around strategy and accountability- I need to know what my goals are and sometimes these change quite often based on thin air.
    Sales quotas are set on a monthly basis so it is difficult to be strategic at times because you go from month to month and never have the chance to take vacation time unless you hit your quotas early enough during the month--or you can, but you're not going to be @ goal if you are not on the floor selling day after day. Processes and tools are lacking in some fronts causing effectiveness to suffer.

Advice to Management

I know your jobs are tough, my uttermost respect to you but we need direction... and good leaders that are accountable and follow through.

2. A fantastic place for an internship

Current Intern - Intern II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Intern - Intern II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is simply incredible. You work at a place where you feel accepted and valued even as an intern. The employees whom I work with are all driven, intelligent and are devoted to the company. I have learned so much in my brief time at Rackspace, and look forward to continuing my internship further.

Cons

This is definitely a challenging period of Rackspace's existence. Coming off of a couple difficult quarters, the morale at the company is definitely at a low (but is definitely improving). The senior management recognizes this, has realigned the company and is working to improve this.

The company culture is definitely a shock to some people. It is polarizing in that you love it or hate it. Thankfully their interview and "vetting" process is long and rigorous, and it generally only allows in employees who fit with the relaxed culture of Rackspace.

Advice to Management

There are definitely organization problems related to the company's size and disparate teams. Each team has a different "end goal" in mind, and this shows in how information and work flows. There is often a clash between the goals of the support teams, product teams and CFO teams that create operational problems. This is not an easy problem to fix, but the end goal between the teams needs to be more appropriately aligned.

3. Cloud WebHosting Done Right

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best work/life balance of any company I've ever worked for. Amazing culture and benefits are just some of the reasons to become a Racker.

Cons

The cloud business and especially web hosting can be a fickle beast. Cost cutting by others in the industry makes it difficult

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you grew up doing the best, and that is fanatical support. Couple that with the cloud and really keep it up. Live it, don't just give it lip service.

5. Lead Generation Specialist

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Amazing place to work with people who only want to build you up for success!

Cons

There are no cons I could think of.

6. Rackers are the best people you'll know!

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Rackers are amazing. The culture is great and the customers see us as partners and not a vendor.

Cons

Growing pains and a lot of Leadership changes.

Advice to Management

Start paying the talent, too many Rackers leaving for better pay.

7. I loved it, and it was painful to leave. I met some of my best friends there.

Former Employee - Agile Business Process Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Agile Business Process Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and mission Rackspace was founded on is still strong. The work environment is similar to what you might find at startups in Seattle or some of the better companies in Silicon Valley. While Rackspace could not compete with them, such an environment is unheard of in Texas; which makes them unique in that area.

Cons

Rackspace is struggling. They have an extremely strong culture (in which you are treated as family) but it is clashing with their business growth needs. Like everywhere else, there is a slight but growing infection of poor, short-sighted, and fundamentally frightened management. Pay also tends to be on the poor side, as they consider their culture to be "worth the paycut"/

Advice to Management

Vision is not clear and traceable from C-level to front-line support and development. Once a front line worker can trace his career objectives through his team, department, and division missions to the way each supports a piece of the corporate vision; most of the other problems will fall into place.

A disappointing decline

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many talented, hard-working people at Rackspace and you may get to work with them. Some of the tech they work on is new and interesting, and working for Rackspace is (currently) seen as good experience on a resume. Depending on your team, you may be able to maintain a relatively sane work-life balance.

Cons

Rackspace has never been known for competitive pay and their raises leave much to be desired. The culture that people came and stayed for is now gone, thanks to the new CEO. Many benefits have been cut or removed (including stipends for teams to have events, spending on conferences and learning opportunities, and sabbaticals). There was also a rash of layoffs at the start of 2015 without any transparency as to why we were laying off hundreds of people, except that it was not related to job performance.

Although I was lucky enough to have an exceptional manager, many do not - and middle management is as bloated as always with people who were not given a technical career track option and have no aptitude for management. Expectations of managers have continued to be poorly defined (should I be a people manager, a technical manager, or an individual contributor?) and there are very few who can accomplish all three objectives well. Politics are absolutely rampant now - promotion decisions are made in bars and hallway discussions and do a disservice to the company by continuing to promote people who are better at canoodling than running an effective organization.

Work-life balance depends entirely on your team and manager. There are a lot of incompetent and/or lazy people who have made their way into the company during previous growth phases and Rackspace does a poor job of asking those people to leave. "A" players are often forced to work the extra hours to make up for their lackluster team mates in the spirit of "fanaticism". Truly fanatical Rackers have burned out and left.

Advice to Management

Bring back the core values and culture, or pay your employees well enough that they stop caring.

Get rid of middle managers who are clearly not meant for management, or give them individual contributor opportunities where they can successful.

Mid and senior leadership is a revolving door

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rackspace is a good place for folks to start their careers and get involved in technology, especially if they're in south Texas.

Cons

Rackspace is a $1.8 Billion company still being run like a $50 Million company. The leadership runs the company with a non-data driven, "shoot from the hip" mentality - primarily because much of the senior leadership never developed the enterprise class leadership capabilities required to both recruit and develop a high performance workplace. As a result, most mid and senior level talent brought in to change the company are obstructed by entrenched long term "Rackers" who are more interested in holding onto their fiefdoms than moving the company forward. Even if you are able to overcome the entrenched obstructionists, your performance isn't rewarded. For this reason, the bulk of talented mid and senior level new hires quickly become frustrated and move on - the result is overall weak leadership at the company at all levels.

Advice to Management

Fire most of your VPs and directors and bring in a team that knows how to develop, nurture and sustain talent.

10. Finally Growing Up

Former Employee - Someone In IT in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Someone In IT in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are awesome and very talented. The culture varies depending on what area of the company you are working in. It is mostly a positive culture. The fact that you can wear practically anything is a huge plus. I certainly miss wearing t-shirts to work. The majority of managers are very easy to work for and support their direct reports. Leadership directors and up is a coin toss.

Cons

Being that they are finally trying to move away from a start up mentality, they are taking benefits away from the employees. But if you are new you will not miss what you never had. It is extremely hard to get promoted in IT, yet seems much easier outside of IT. There still some rogue processes going on in certain parts of the company, so don't be surprised if there isn't a formal policy or procedure where you would expect to find one.

Advice to Management

Directors and senior leadership, you should ask your managers for input and not make decisions that eventually hurt everyone on the teams below you.

Datacenter technician

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Lax dress code
    Your team starts to feel like family
    Paid training (if you could get approval and the classes weren't full)
    Somewhat flexible hours, if your shift lead will work with you
    Team outings
    Can be a very laid back environment

Cons

To build up cooperation between shifts, they performed a "shift lead swap." Not all of the datacenter shift leads had a technical support or administration background, so one shift at a time ended up with management from someone that was not capable of leading the team of providing assistance on tickets because of a lack of training.
    At times, the work environment was highly critical of technicians that did not fit in because of their sex/sexual preference/race
    If you do not live in or near San Antonio, there is very little room for advancement
    We had conflicting goals, in that we had to quickly and efficiently resolve tickets, but we were not allowed to resolve issues that were in the domain of system administrators, even if it would save the customer time and we were trained to fix said issue.
    They place far too much emphasis on metrics, but disregard complexity of the tickets, so metrics can be extremely skewed by someone taking non-issue tickets such as server reboots and password resets.

Advice to Management

Consider allowing telecommuting for admins, because there is a huge pool of talent that is not located in San Antonio and already working for the company.