Rackspace Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
466 reviews filtered by
3.2
Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

1. Still the best company that you could work for

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Influential leaders honestly care about frontline employees. I've been here for a long time and things are still working out well for the Rackers who dig in and try to make us all better.

Cons

There are some employees who long for "the good ol' days." Folks, we are actively making *these* the good old days. Please step up or step out.

Let's go change the word. I fully support Taylor Rhodes and the moves that he's making.

A disappointing decline

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many talented, hard-working people at Rackspace and you may get to work with them. Some of the tech they work on is new and interesting, and working for Rackspace is (currently) seen as good experience on a resume. Depending on your team, you may be able to maintain a relatively sane work-life balance.

Cons

Rackspace has never been known for competitive pay and their raises leave much to be desired. The culture that people came and stayed for is now gone, thanks to the new CEO. Many benefits have been cut or removed (including stipends for teams to have events, spending on conferences and learning opportunities, and sabbaticals). There was also a rash of layoffs at the start of 2015 without any transparency as to why we were laying off hundreds of people, except that it was not related to job performance.

Although I was lucky enough to have an exceptional manager, many do not - and middle management is as bloated as always with people who were not given a technical career track option and have no aptitude for management. Expectations of managers have continued to be poorly defined (should I be a people manager, a technical manager, or an individual contributor?) and there are very few who can accomplish all three objectives well. Politics are absolutely rampant now - promotion decisions are made in bars and hallway discussions and do a disservice to the company by continuing to promote people who are better at canoodling than running an effective organization.

Work-life balance depends entirely on your team and manager. There are a lot of incompetent and/or lazy people who have made their way into the company during previous growth phases and Rackspace does a poor job of asking those people to leave. "A" players are often forced to work the extra hours to make up for their lackluster team mates in the spirit of "fanaticism". Truly fanatical Rackers have burned out and left.

Bring back the core values and culture, or pay your employees well enough that they stop caring.

Get rid of middle managers who are clearly not meant for management, or give them individual contributor opportunities where they can successful.

3. Great place to gain experience.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer IV in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer IV in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

I really enjoyed my time with the company! It was a pleasure coming to work everyday. I would highly recommend Rackspace to people with a couple years of experience looking to grow skill sets. Spend a couple years and get some experience and certs.

Cons

Working for a publicly traded company can be frustrating at times. Perks are slowly being phased out. Moving up at Rackspace seems to have become more difficult in the last 18 months. Most open hire tickets are backfills. More senior roles are filled with people not going anywhere.

Keep the culture strong. Give out a few t-shirts. Provide more opportunities for professional growth.

5. Great company...great culture...great people!

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Work hard/play hard environment, the people who work there are fantastic, quirky, and super smart, Core Values resonate with most employees, casual work environment, open-collaborative work environment.

Cons

Changes in the market, competition, etc., require swift change and pivots in strategy and vision. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there is always lots of change and it's not always easy to get people on board in order to execute quickly.

Overall leadership is solid, however way too many decisions are made based on anecdotal feedback, managers, etc., from employees vs. making solid data driven decisions. This leads to a lot of knee jerk decsions that aren't often well thought out.

6. Started out great!

Current Employee - Network Security
    Current Employee - Network Security

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent and amazing co-workers. Paid training - when available. Team outings. Good environment to learn new skills. Upward mobility and opportunity to expand/change roles within the company. Company supports local communities and offers opportunities to get involved.

Cons

Support roles are all metrics oriented - # of calls, time on the phones, etc rather than focus on results. Going public basically killed the culture. Salary is not competitive.

The fanatical support people are your best resource. Take care of them.

7. I'd work there again.

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Great people to work with if you enjoy a laid back, fun atmosphere.

Cons

Because they are still small there are pockets of people in leadership that have been with the company since or just about since the beginning that should not be in those roles. They reward loyalty to a fault some times.

Great place to work until the newness wears off

Current Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Rackspace really caters to its employees. Lots of perks for working there. Very fast paced environment keeps you on your toes.

Cons

Lack of direction at times. Too much trying to fix everything at once without any real plan or direction. Doing things just to do them instead of planning and mapping out

Be genuinely interested in your employees. Not just for what they can do for you now. Guide them and give them that career path

"The Engine Room" ... utter chaos

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- No dress code.
    - Lenience with being on time.
    - Tons of classes.
    - Excellent healthcare and plenty of Paid Time Off
    - Team outings, free food, lots of parties
    - Smart people all around.
    - Lots of resources for learning!
    - Transparency from upper to middle management
    - Flexibility / independence on the floor.
    - Good stepping stone.

Cons

- Little work/life balance. You will meet some great people, and it can easily envelop your social life.
    - While there is flexibility on the floor, this also comes with ambiguity.
    - Departments ping-pong work against each other; there is frequently "pushback", no willingness to work together. The culture "friends and family" is dead.
    - Too sales-driven - they are selling business models that do not exist (we are expected to provide Fanatical Support, with frivolous layers of disclaimers)
    - Poor, if non-existent internal documentation
    - Unclear escalation paths
    - Perhaps *too* much transparency at times? i.e. coworkers using "company morals" to get away with sloppy work
    - Rules are not enforced. Many people get away with doing little to no work
    - Rampant drinking - very frat-like, competitive partying.
    - Too many changes released preemptively (broken products, lack of official training)
    - Extremely loud environment. "Drinking from the Firehose"

Pay more attention to the small to medium businesses, and, the sysadmins who support these customers.
    Pricing keeps going up. Why? Customers are noticing the changes, quickly.
    I wish they would place less focus buzzword sales like "devops". "hybrid cloud", "automation", when all of these things are industry standard now.

fix the customized products, ensure proper documentation is released, and train employees before selling the products.

Also, something to note, Weston once said... "...to be recognized as *one of* the greatest..."
    They are now claiming "#1 Managed cloud" from a Garner quadrant...again, using business and sales to push products that do not exist.

Management needs to work on distinguishing what our roles entail. Most Rackers carry on doing "their own thing" even if new policies are enforced. It's not fair that people who have "5 year flags" have an owning sense of seniority that overrides new rules etc. There is a chaotic, tribal sense to everything.

If you can't keep your head up, you will drown.

I would not recommend working at Rackspace longer than a year, unless you thrive off of the constant change and the prospect of not being watched with a close eye.

10. Great Company Culture, Challenging Market Conditions

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Rackspace cares about their people and has built a very special culture where "Rackers" are very dedicated to the cause. They are fighting hard against stiff competition from AWS, Microsoft, Google, and lots of others.

Cons

There are too many layers of middle management and a lack of product vision. Rackspace is a services company , so don't think you are going to work for an innovator.

Get rid of all of the layers of management, and empower people.

Death of a once great company

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Front line rackers (support, engineers, developers) are generally great people to work with. Many are burning the candle at both ends hoping for the company to correct itself.

Cons

- Layoffs: As the company continues to hire, layoffs have been occurring with very little transparency leading to rampant speculation.

- Death of Core Values: The core values at Rackspace are officially dead. We ought to simply paint over them and recognize they are no longer a guidepost for how we operate the business.

- Difficulty Leaving San Antonio: If you move to San Antonio, realize that it will be very difficult to leave. In some ways, management uses this to their advantage. If Rackspace were located in a high-tech city, the inept leadership at this company would not be allowed to behave in the way they currently are, they would all be fired as a mass exodus and the resulting reputation hit would be immediately evident. In San Antonio, it will take

- CEO: The new CEO and the changes that have been implemented have been disappointing. He is out of touch with customers, Rackers. The best thing for him to happen is to "retire from Rackspace". At Rackspace, retirement has a different meaning if you are a senior executive.

The SLT and most VPs are in positions that they are extremely under qualified for. One of the few things SLT is world class at is the art of re-organization. Surely if you shuffle the deck often enough, greatness might eme