Rackspace Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
483 reviews filtered by
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.3
Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

1. Developer Advocate

Current Employee - OpenStack .NET Developer Advocate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - OpenStack .NET Developer Advocate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits, the pay, the people, the product, the culture ... everything is just fantastic. I've worked at a lot of places over my 35+ years in the industry, so I know what most company's are like, and believe me; Rackspace is a top notch company.

Cons

As a remote worker, you sometimes feel left out of events at headquarters. Our team does a great job of mitigating that, but others in the company need some help with this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

2. Software developer II

Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Flexibility, good talent, nice work areas, good benefits, gym.

Cons

Lack of direction from leadership at times.

It's been great but after 8 years it might be time for a change.

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace has been a great company to work for in the last 8 years and counting. It has been an amazing learning experience for me and I appreciate all the tools I have added to my toolkit during the years. I really like the work/life balance that the company provides- and also the many perks such as paid time off, 401K and benefits.

Cons

My concerns are around strategy and accountability- I need to know what my goals are and sometimes these change quite often based on thin air.
    Sales quotas are set on a monthly basis so it is difficult to be strategic at times because you go from month to month and never have the chance to take vacation time unless you hit your quotas early enough during the month--or you can, but you're not going to be @ goal if you are not on the floor selling day after day. Processes and tools are lacking in some fronts causing effectiveness to suffer.

Advice to Management

I know your jobs are tough, my uttermost respect to you but we need direction... and good leaders that are accountable and follow through.

5. A fantastic place for an internship

Current Intern - Intern II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Intern - Intern II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is simply incredible. You work at a place where you feel accepted and valued even as an intern. The employees whom I work with are all driven, intelligent and are devoted to the company. I have learned so much in my brief time at Rackspace, and look forward to continuing my internship further.

Cons

This is definitely a challenging period of Rackspace's existence. Coming off of a couple difficult quarters, the morale at the company is definitely at a low (but is definitely improving). The senior management recognizes this, has realigned the company and is working to improve this.

The company culture is definitely a shock to some people. It is polarizing in that you love it or hate it. Thankfully their interview and "vetting" process is long and rigorous, and it generally only allows in employees who fit with the relaxed culture of Rackspace.

Advice to Management

There are definitely organization problems related to the company's size and disparate teams. Each team has a different "end goal" in mind, and this shows in how information and work flows. There is often a clash between the goals of the support teams, product teams and CFO teams that create operational problems. This is not an easy problem to fix, but the end goal between the teams needs to be more appropriately aligned.

6. Cloud WebHosting Done Right

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best work/life balance of any company I've ever worked for. Amazing culture and benefits are just some of the reasons to become a Racker.

Cons

The cloud business and especially web hosting can be a fickle beast. Cost cutting by others in the industry makes it difficult

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you grew up doing the best, and that is fanatical support. Couple that with the cloud and really keep it up. Live it, don't just give it lip service.

A disappointing decline

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many talented, hard-working people at Rackspace and you may get to work with them. Some of the tech they work on is new and interesting, and working for Rackspace is (currently) seen as good experience on a resume. Depending on your team, you may be able to maintain a relatively sane work-life balance.

Cons

Rackspace has never been known for competitive pay and their raises leave much to be desired. The culture that people came and stayed for is now gone, thanks to the new CEO. Many benefits have been cut or removed (including stipends for teams to have events, spending on conferences and learning opportunities, and sabbaticals). There was also a rash of layoffs at the start of 2015 without any transparency as to why we were laying off hundreds of people, except that it was not related to job performance.

Although I was lucky enough to have an exceptional manager, many do not - and middle management is as bloated as always with people who were not given a technical career track option and have no aptitude for management. Expectations of managers have continued to be poorly defined (should I be a people manager, a technical manager, or an individual contributor?) and there are very few who can accomplish all three objectives well. Politics are absolutely rampant now - promotion decisions are made in bars and hallway discussions and do a disservice to the company by continuing to promote people who are better at canoodling than running an effective organization.

Work-life balance depends entirely on your team and manager. There are a lot of incompetent and/or lazy people who have made their way into the company during previous growth phases and Rackspace does a poor job of asking those people to leave. "A" players are often forced to work the extra hours to make up for their lackluster team mates in the spirit of "fanaticism". Truly fanatical Rackers have burned out and left.

Advice to Management

Bring back the core values and culture, or pay your employees well enough that they stop caring.

Get rid of middle managers who are clearly not meant for management, or give them individual contributor opportunities where they can successful.

8. Lead Generation Specialist

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Amazing place to work with people who only want to build you up for success!

Cons

There are no cons I could think of.

Good place to work but losing grip on values/culture.

Current Employee - Network Security Administrator III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Network Security Administrator III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to learn and grow with plenty of opportunities to do so. Nothing will hold you back but yourself. Training classes are offered quite often. Industry certificates are reimbursed upon completion.

I guess soda on tap is a pro..?

Cons

There is no real sense of direction. It feels as though every six months a new strategy is put in to place then no follow through. Rinse, repeat. Telling your employee base to embrace change is a very poor way to disguise your lack of leadership and vision.

Senior management doesn't seem to grasp that front line customer support is continuously understaffed. It always feels as though the blame is placed upon the support teams themselves rather than a staffing issue. No amount of eloquently worded 'be engaged and work harder, guys!' emails will change the fact that constant under staffing kills morale.

Front line support feels like working for a different company than the rest of the positions and departments. There is not enough staffing for the majority of front line support to attend the 'fun' events. The phone calls and ticket queue is a ball and chain if you happen to be a support role.

401k matching is laughable. Quarterly bonus payouts favor management, double percentage payout vs. customer facing roles.

Compensation is low compared to industry average for technical support roles.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your front line support employees when it is voiced that under staffing is an issue. Stop waiting until ticket queues and response times go through the roof.

10. Rackers are the best people you'll know!

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Rackers are amazing. The culture is great and the customers see us as partners and not a vendor.

Cons

Growing pains and a lot of Leadership changes.

Advice to Management

Start paying the talent, too many Rackers leaving for better pay.

11. I loved it, and it was painful to leave. I met some of my best friends there.

Former Employee - Agile Business Process Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Agile Business Process Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and mission Rackspace was founded on is still strong. The work environment is similar to what you might find at startups in Seattle or some of the better companies in Silicon Valley. While Rackspace could not compete with them, such an environment is unheard of in Texas; which makes them unique in that area.

Cons

Rackspace is struggling. They have an extremely strong culture (in which you are treated as family) but it is clashing with their business growth needs. Like everywhere else, there is a slight but growing infection of poor, short-sighted, and fundamentally frightened management. Pay also tends to be on the poor side, as they consider their culture to be "worth the paycut"/

Advice to Management

Vision is not clear and traceable from C-level to front-line support and development. Once a front line worker can trace his career objectives through his team, department, and division missions to the way each supports a piece of the corporate vision; most of the other problems will fall into place.