Rackspace Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture! Great People, who enjoy their work

Former Employee - Product Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Rackspace as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is intelligent, enjoys the work! Pay is good. Still has not lost that start up feel. I was at the Austin office which is an good location.

Cons

There are some inconsistencies in hiring. This is a fast moving company which may be a downside to some.

Excellent learning environment and awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Software Developer II  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome work culture and very good learning environment. People are very friendly. I work on wide variety of cutting edge technologies. Helps me grow organically. The palces around here are beautiful and you can be in Appalachian Trials for camping or hiking with in hour and half from office. This is the city in Forest.

Cons

The only downside being, there are not many good companies like Google etc and startup related places around here.

Best company ever

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture and the people

Cons

A lot of rumors about being bought out

Keep the racker culture alive

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work!

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really friendly enviroment, a lot of support provider for new employees, many work place benefits.

Cons

Travell time from London. :D

Love it here!

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Nice people, great environment and stuff

Cons

Get lost in castle and cant find anywhere.

I love this place

Current Employee - Recruiting  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiting in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Vacation time is incredible.
    Comp is good
    Leadership is great
    Its an innovative company

Cons

Things move fast and you have to be able to adapt to change well or you won't survive. I see people flame out regularly because they need a slower pace.

Great company with amazing Rackers creating an excellent workplace.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A 6-year Racker, I am proud to work for a company that makes coming to work every day enjoyable. Rackspace is full of opportunities for employees to explore their passions and help create a world-class company in which people are proud of their career. I have watched Rackspace grow from a privately-held company with approximately 1000 employees to a publicly-traded enterprise-class company and home for 5000+ Rackers. Our Core values are held in the highest regard by everyone in the company, from contracted hourly workers to C-Level executives. Many times have I witnessed and been a part of Rackers banding together to take care of their fellow Rackers, treating them just like family.

Even considering Rackspace is an IT-based company, non-technical employees can expand their knowledge through on-the-job training, classroom training, college courses, and mentoring with other Rackers. Rackspace is a company where ambition and personal drive is rewarded with continual personal growth and expertise. There are not many companies this size where all employees have the ability to provide feedback or suggestions that could very possibly better the entire company.

Additionally, the unique culture at Rackspace resonates in all Rackers. Part of the interview process deals with culture and team-fit. Front-line Rackers have input on prospective candidates ensuring that the people who are hired are genuine and will continue to define what a Racker is.

Being constantly surrounded by some of the smartest, most innovative, and determined thinkers enables Rackers to continually learn from each other, enable each other, and forgive each other. Rackers are humans, as we all are, and we cannot be afraid to try new things, even if we make mistakes or don't perfect the process the first time. Some of the most valuable things I have learned at Rackspace has come from others personal experiences and together we can improve processes, ourselves, and pass knowledge onto to others for further innovation.

I am also very much a fan of our open-door policy and general accessibility to anyone or any department. When you can walk a few rows over and brainstorm with the President of the entire company, it makes you truly feel that you are a vital part of a living corporation. Having a voice, and knowing that voice is heard, is a satisfying feeling. Knowing you are a Racker with a name, a personality, a contributor and a thinker is so much more rewarding then just being an unknown employee of a gigantic company.

Cons

Rackers know that with perks and a free-spirited culture comes with disadvantages as well. Compared to other corporations in the industry, the pay-scale can be on the lower side than with another employer. Rackspace has recognized this, however, and is working towards salary market adjustments and is investing in employee and talent retention.

Continue to always be transparent to Racker, always. As we have grown, messages and direction can be lost in translation. We are featured much more in the media and market journalism. Before a Racker reads something online in a blog or media outlet, ensure that things have been communicated internally, and even over-communicated if need be, to avoid speculation, rumors, fears and doubt. Although tedious at times, making sure important messages are communicated through all internal methods can help inform Rackers. Use live-forums, smaller sessions, email communication, printed communication, etc., to best spread the word to Rackers.

It's a great company with great promise and passion.

Current Employee - Director  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Unparalleled passion and commitment. I've never worked for a company more committed to the people. nThe work-life balance is great and most roles/managers take a "as long as you get your work done" mentality that is very empowering.

Cons

Constant re-organizations and prioritization changes are exhausting. We talk about preventing/eliminating silos in the org but they always seem to pop up. We need to incentivize groups to communicate/coordinate better and not just "hope it will happen naturally".

Don't change directions so often. The big picture path has been relatively steady but be more conscious of the effects of re-prioritization.

Long time Racker and I love this place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The opportunities at Rackspace are fantastic. I've been here for many years and I have learned and grown so much.

Cons

Rackspace changes a lot internally. We do this because we have a 'do whatever it takes for the customer attitude' and sometimes that means a full on re-org. We aren't afraid of change in fact we embrace it. This can make things tough when it comes to consistency, or success of long term projects.

great place

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

loved team culture and camaraderie

Cons

not much room for growth

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!