Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with amazing Rackers creating an excellent workplace.

Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsA 6-year Racker, I am proud to work for a company that makes coming to work every day enjoyable. Rackspace is full of opportunities for employees to explore their passions and help create a world-class company in which people are proud of their career. I have watched Rackspace grow from a privately-held company with approximately 1000 employees to a publicly-traded enterprise-class company and home for 5000+ Rackers. Our Core values are held in the highest regard by everyone in the company, from contracted hourly workers to C-Level executives. Many times have I witnessed and been a part of Rackers banding together to take care of their fellow Rackers, treating them just like family.

Even considering Rackspace is an IT-based company, non-technical employees can expand their knowledge through on-the-job training, classroom training, college courses, and mentoring with other Rackers. Rackspace is a company where ambition and personal drive is rewarded with continual personal growth and expertise. There are not many companies this size where all employees have the ability to provide feedback or suggestions that could very possibly better the entire company.

Additionally, the unique culture at Rackspace resonates in all Rackers. Part of the interview process deals with culture and team-fit. Front-line Rackers have input on prospective candidates ensuring that the people who are hired are genuine and will continue to define what a Racker is.

Being constantly surrounded by some of the smartest, most innovative, and determined thinkers enables Rackers to continually learn from each other, enable each other, and forgive each other. Rackers are humans, as we all are, and we cannot be afraid to try new things, even if we make mistakes or don't perfect the process the first time. Some of the most valuable things I have learned at Rackspace has come from others personal experiences and together we can improve processes, ourselves, and pass knowledge onto to others for further innovation.

I am also very much a fan of our open-door policy and general accessibility to anyone or any department. When you can walk a few rows over and brainstorm with the President of the entire company, it makes you truly feel that you are a vital part of a living corporation. Having a voice, and knowing that voice is heard, is a satisfying feeling. Knowing you are a Racker with a name, a personality, a contributor and a thinker is so much more rewarding then just being an unknown employee of a gigantic company.

ConsRackers know that with perks and a free-spirited culture comes with disadvantages as well. Compared to other corporations in the industry, the pay-scale can be on the lower side than with another employer. Rackspace has recognized this, however, and is working towards salary market adjustments and is investing in employee and talent retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to always be transparent to Racker, always. As we have grown, messages and direction can be lost in translation. We are featured much more in the media and market journalism. Before a Racker reads something online in a blog or media outlet, ensure that things have been communicated internally, and even over-communicated if need be, to avoid speculation, rumors, fears and doubt. Although tedious at times, making sure important messages are communicated through all internal methods can help inform Rackers. Use live-forums, smaller sessions, email communication, printed communication, etc., to best spread the word to Rackers.

It's a great company with great promise and passion.

Director (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsUnparalleled passion and commitment. I've never worked for a company more committed to the people. nThe work-life balance is great and most roles/managers take a "as long as you get your work done" mentality that is very empowering.

ConsConstant re-organizations and prioritization changes are exhausting. We talk about preventing/eliminating silos in the org but they always seem to pop up. We need to incentivize groups to communicate/coordinate better and not just "hope it will happen naturally".

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change directions so often. The big picture path has been relatively steady but be more conscious of the effects of re-prioritization.

Long time Racker and I love this place!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe opportunities at Rackspace are fantastic. I've been here for many years and I have learned and grown so much.

ConsRackspace changes a lot internally. We do this because we have a 'do whatever it takes for the customer attitude' and sometimes that means a full on re-org. We aren't afraid of change in fact we embrace it. This can make things tough when it comes to consistency, or success of long term projects.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place

Prosloved team culture and camaraderie

Consnot much room for growth

The Fanatical Support is wonderful

Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsA wonderful way to grow at your career. Its a place where you can find your dream job.

ConsNo Cons. The place is awesome.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture of fanatical support alive.

Company of Geeks

Community Affairs (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe people are what make this company truly the best place to work on earth.

ConsAs we grow its harder to know every single person in the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Love every minute!

ProsGreat culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them)

ConsWe are treated so well that some of the employees feel entitled to certain privileges

Awesome Company to work for!!!!

Account Coordinator III (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsOnly the best people work here...

ConsRackspace is growing too fast. The only downside is not knowing everyone like I did 6yrs ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Great place to learn and grow, top notch training programs, exceptional benefits, but only average in salary offering.

Linux Systems Administrator II (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsI have almost exclusively glowing praise for working at Rackspace.
    Training - There's a "Rackspace University" training program which will help to get you certified in a variety of IT certifications. All certifications are reimbursed. Training materials are also reimbursed. I obtained a RHCE, CCNA and Security+. Management lets you pursue what training you desire to take.
    Benefits - Humana, flex card, HSA, dental, vision, a rather generous 6% matched 1-to-1 401k plan, stock purchase, free physical therapy on site if at Texas locations. Quarterly profit sharing bonus.
    Real management - There's a lot less management BS, Rackspace's hiring process tends to pick top-notch people and there's less pointy haired bosses and a lot more constructive management. I felt engaged in what I was doing and motivated to do more. I've never worked at a company where I felt so actively involved and satisfied with my work.
    Name Recognition - Having worked for Rackspace is a bright shiny gold star on your resume.

ConsThe primary con was the salary offering, which is average at best. I would still be at Rackspace if I hadn't received an offer that Rackspace could not compete with. I wasn't even job hunting, they found me.
    The secondary con is based upon the primary con, there's enough attrition happening because of better salary offers elsewhere, it's difficult to maintain teams with high levels of training and sometimes I would be doing the workload of several employees.

Brilliant place to work, and play!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsBrilliant culture with lots of inspiring and brilliantly talented people who you get to work with everyday. Great fun ethos and office-culture along with great benefits and regular events/activities. Halloween here is crazy!

ConsCompany is growing fast and this can sometimes make your day long, stressful and high pressured.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!