Rackspace

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.5

Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to grow as a software developer

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rackspace really does have a fantastic culture. There is a lot of pride around being a "Racker." There are a lot of really smart people doing great work. Pay, benefits, etc are all very competitive.

Cons

There is a lot of inconsistency between the quality of teams. There are some really top-notch teams and there are teams full of people who just don't seem to be able to get anything done. The offices all seem to have different priorities and cultures. The Blacksburg office is a great space but located in a terribly boring little town.

Make the path to promotions more clear. Promote more often.

Loved it!

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Care about your personal growth, great interaction with leaders, everyone is super friendly

Cons

San Antonio isn't reflective of the company. Better location would be more fun

Awesome company, great culture

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Amazing people, true friends and family, supportive of work life balance, GSD attitude

Cons

Constant change and lack of some basic processes you'd expect at a company this size

Continue to invest in your people, instill more innovation

Network Security Adiminstrator

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Excellent training, every day is a new challenge, your success is based off your aptitude.

Cons

Stressful sometimes, but what job doesn't get that way from time to time.

Phenomenal experience but just got too political

Former Employee - Racker in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Racker in London, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture is amazing, colleagues genuinely feel like friends and family.
    Genuinely customer centric
    If you prove yourself then you can progress quickly
    Some truly phenomenal leaders....they're outnumbered though

Cons

Senior leaders were brought in to help the company scale but sadly they only managed to pollute the culture with typical "big company" mentalities. Rhetoric became more valuable than results and, as long as you talked a good game you would be safe. The company focussed so much on employee engagement that managers had a tough time trying to exit under-performers and, sadly this has meant that the once inspiring mission of "being recognised as one of the world's greatest service companies" is now just a hollow ideal as the standards have dropped to an irreversible low.

Employee engagement, culture fit and results are all ingredients for sustained success. Don't view these as separate playing fields, it's ok to ask for world class results from your staff when you invest so much in their engagement and, when you find someone that's not pulling their weight or undermining the culture then get rid of them.

Wicked Smart and Passionate People Work Here

Current Employee - Human Resources Program Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Program Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

To start, the people and work environment is amazing. The recent PTO changes give you an additional week of time off a year. For someone who has been there 9 years, I get 5 1/2 weeks off a year not including the additional 6 paid holidays! Pay is fair when paired with the benefits package that includes an onsite 10,000 sq foot gym, ESPP stock buying program and profit sharing bonus. At this place, you are truly appreciated for the work you do and you have the ability to make a difference. Also, the training and development opportunities are endless through the Rackspace University curriculum. Even without all the perks... if it came down to only being able to work with the great people at this company... I would stay. They are passionate and make me better in both my professional life and personal life.

Cons

The company is still young and going through some growing pains so there are improvements to be made on how internal departments collaborate with one another. This is something that is already being addressed so, its not really a con.

Stay the course. Taylor Rhodes was definitely the right pick for CEO. He knows what he is doing and all other leaders need to follow his thoughtful and inspiring leadership style.

SQL Business Intelligence Specialist

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

I love the people I work with and the freedom this company gives me to pursue other interests and grow my skill set.

Cons

It can feel disjointed at times and multiple people going in many directions can be frustrating.

Best company I have worked for

Current Employee - Lead Infrastructure Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Infrastructure Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

I have been in the IT industry for many years and through many different companies. IT is tough, long hours, high demands and the constant changing technology trends make it a risk for burn out. Rackspace rewards it's staff for hard work and employees people that are either the top of their fame or have the potential and enthusiasm to get there. The culture identifies that the demands put on you are strenuous and tries to ease that by rewards and an essence of fun. Most staff are engaged in what they do and that leads to a relaxed atmosphere. Staff are approachable and are happy to interact on personal levels to form strong relationships.
    Rackspace is a very open company. Management don't seem to have hidden agendas, financial updates are constantly given, strategies are explained to the staff and managers are treated as advisors rather than authoritative dictators. All managers are approachable right up to the CEO and they take time to find out a little more about you as a person.

Cons

Rackspace on boarding process is long and drawn out. If you think you are going to start your job on day one you are mistaken. In someways it eases you in to your role but in others after a couple of months of the softly softly approach you just want to get on with something meaty.
    If you want job and sit in the same position for years this is not the company for you. Most people who make it in the company move roles every 18-24months.
    If you are introverted and can't make friends outside of your team the culture is wasted on you and you will not succeed here. Taking part in activities, walking up to someone's desk randomly and asking how their day went and giving back to the community is the way forward for any new recruit. The company is large and you will just become a number if you don't network with people.
    This year has been a tough year for rackspace globally. CEO quits, share prices drop, aws and asure become more powerful and rackspace loses it's way a bit. New CEO and strategy to put the service in front of everything else shows me that rackspace and the management team are setting off on the right track.

The tools we use are all over the place. We need a project with a number of departments input to standardise and unify them.
    Regions need to be a bit more integrated. Sone teams tool out only in the US which has some benefits but we should have some champions in other regions.

Excellent people centric company to work for....

Current Employee - Software Developer in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management that truly cares, good plan for the future, constant technical opportunities and challenges, great work environment.

Cons

Improve a few of the time off benefits

Great place to be - Not what it once was - some ways better some ways not

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was a Racker for 4.5 years left post-IPO and came back 10 months later - Culture has changed in many ways but core of the culture remains. I've now been back almost 4 years and don't plan on leaving again. Training opportunities are better than any other place I've been. There are some middle managers that seem to have more focus on metrics than getting the team but there are more that focused on their team first.

Cons

compensation and other politics are the main reason I've seen others go however those have also had relocation to other parts of the country - I've seen no one leave and stay local - also some decisions have been made that were good for business but not handled / communicated within the core values

Remember Full Disclosure - Bad news First - some internal comms have NOT been handled well and addressed officially AFTER being called out on internal channels