Rackspace Reviews

3.9

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Place to Work with A Few Blemishes

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Job:
    - Constant challenges and interesting problems to tackle
    - Autonomy to take ownership of issues without micromanagement
    - Real sense of purpose/satisfaction in a job well done
    - Great experience builder
    - Lots of opportunities for free education and certification (MCITP, RHCE, Cisco, CompTIA, PMI, etc)

Culture:
    - Most people really want to be there and care deeply about customer service
    - Basically no dress code for technical folks
    - Values-based culture that places focus on getting things done the right way, both in terms of correctness and in terms of morality, you could say
    - Quarterly team outings

Compensation:
    - Decent salary for certain positions (especially given San Antonio costs of living)
    - Good benefits (health, dental, vision, disability, stock purchase program, FSA/HSA, etc)
    - Good vacation time (17 days per year for new employees, 22 days per year for employees with 5 year tenure)
    - Flexible scheduling (no nickel-and-dime-ing of time off for doctors appts, etc)

Cons

- There is a lot of tribal/institutional knowledge that is not centralized (common problem with rapid-growth companies)
    - A few too many middle managers that don't seem to contribute much besides sitting in meetings
    - Lack of solid process controls, over-reliance on hero employees to fill the gaps left by poor planning/implementation
    - Some positions are under-compensated in terms of salary. However pay seems to start low and ramp up, for example I make almost 80% more now than when I started a couple years ago.
    - Not enough focus on holding individuals accountable for their performance. It's a great environment for self-motivated, high performing individuals to get the job done without micromanagement, but lazy/inept folks can fly under the radar for far too long.
    - Not enough focus on retaining top experienced people, however based on recent evidence this seems to have been fixed quite a bit in the last few months.

- Pick a consistent vision and stick with it.
    - Seriously evaluate the quality of middle management and rethink the manager count (one manager for every 4-6 people in some departments is FAR too many).
    - Make sure there is sufficient staffing and training to support new initiatives and products.

Great people, great company

Current Employee - Director  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Rackers have autonomy over their work and there is ample room for career progression. It's great to work with so many smart, engaged people. It makes being at work fun :).

Cons

Fast growth creates all kinds of challenges. Not all bad, but it can be frustrating, depending on the person. Change is a constant at Rackspace. Changing teams, projects, seating etc. If you're not flexible and adaptable, you'll be frustrated.

With so much growth and change, communication is always a challenge. Finding the right medium and frequency to ensure everyone has the same information has to remain a priority.

Great... but not sure if its a keeper

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Good culture, extremely laid back - but your best is expected. There are people in every team who hold their teammates accountable for quality work. Management tries to promote from within, so for the most part they are connected with what the needs of the team are.

Cons

compensation, compensation, compensation. Raises are a joke, small bumps are insulting - if there isn't enough money in the pot for a decent raise, then shell out stock and a hefty bonus.

I understand when the company was smaller, it was cheaper to let a heavyweight go and train up a new person. Now that the company is getting bigger $1B revenue means this is now the big leagues. You need to pay better to keep your top people, who else is going to keep your culture alive? If the average senior sysad or Engineer is only staying 3-4 years, you are losing culture and valuable experience when they move along to a competitor. 9 out of 10 rackers will tell you they LOVE this company, but at the end of the day people are going to go where the money is. Right now its a good time to be an experienced IT professional, step up or lose out.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best places to work! Get on-board while we're hiring!

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Fantastic leadership by Graham and Lanham
    Laid back environment
    Many on the job perks
    Competitive benefits
    Profit sharing and bonuses (based on performance review)
    Peer and management performance reviews to offer helpful feedback and incentivise fanatical effort

Cons

Communication has been complicated at times
    Growth has been rampant, so changes are very common

We need the VP level management to be as competent as our Director level management- get rid of the busybodies and promote successful, technically inclined management up.

Keep up the great work!

Great place, but some aspects are hyped up.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Technical people are looked upon favorably.
    Lots of opportunity to advance skillset on the job.
    You can actually reach upper level people (CEO, chairman, etc).
    There is indeed free soda, coffee, and tea.
    It seems that leveling up within a position is quite consistent and regular (e.g. support 1 -> support 2).

Cons

Gym is composed of solely of machines and dumbbells (no barbells for people who want to lift weights).
    The "cafe" mentioned is non-existent as far as I can tell.
    Free snacks is limited to apples and bananas.
    There is no official carpool program, although they list this as a perk (in fact, from what I observed there is no employee carpool, just friends who carpool).
    Rackspace University is geared towards IT and Management/Business, with other classes taking a backseat or not being held.
    On-site health services means free health screenings every so often.
    Career progression can be slow if you want to move up positions (e.g. support -> network).

I notice that the company is being run in such a way that it seems that the primary intent is for execs and other leaders to be able to exercise their stock options and sell at a good price, while at the same time giving employees a poor stock purchase plan. I think one of the biggest pieces of non-financial evidence is the fact that Napier spends a lot of time courting the media. This makes me feel unsure about the future of the company and whether leadership and employees interests are aligned.

Fanatical

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Amazing place to work. Flexible. Possesses an awesome Culture. And our customers are amazing. If you love working with people, you will love this place.

Cons

With great culture unfortunately comes cliques, favoritism, and unfairness at times. A lot of ups and downs here but our senior leadership is amazing.

Great Place To work

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

No matter what your job title, you have the ability to make change if you are passionate enough about what you are doing.

Cons

May take awhile for some to become acclimated to Rackspace and learn how to get thing done. Individual contributors have a hard time being successful here.

I am very happy with the direction of the company. I believe we have a bright future ahead of us. Keep the focus and keep communicating the strategy.

The culture is awesome.

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

My team is made up of great guys. We have a lot of fun while doing our jobs. We dress anyway we like. Very flexible hours. Great benefits package. Lots of interesting people. Many perks. Team outings. Free beverages. Snack closet. Great culture, awesome co-workers, teamwork, competence, results oriented, work/life balance, knowledge. Very fun! Outings. Career growth. Professionalism. Racker radio! Company has good faith in it's employees.

Cons

Some lack of organization due to very fast growth of the company. A bit of lack of company standard processes and practices.

To much trust in employees can also have a downside. Some processes should be standardized and automated to improve efficiency (i.e.: Software development and testing environments setup.)

Fanatical!

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

-Great culture (people and environment)
    -Solid Financials (security)
    -Strong Analysts ratings
    -Good Customer Scores (net promoter)
    -Progressive Technology
    -Great cost of living and no state tax
    -Hires the best of the best

Cons

-so fast paced and tons of change that is exciting, but also exhausting
    -high expectations
    -internal communication, but mostly because so faced pace
    -mindshare (needs to spend more $ on marketing-not on quality of brand which is awesome, but more on awareness of brand)

Love that all the execs are on the floor, but they are not always around. Awesome when they are because the leaders fuel the environment. More vacation or sabatical program! :)

Good

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Fun environment and culture, cutting edge work, the company is in an exciting stage.

Cons

Slightly below average pay, ridiculous expectations for certain departments and teams.

More stock options for employees if they truly are interested in allowing employees to save for their future.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!