Rackspace

Updated March 4, 2015
Updated March 4, 2015
3.4

Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Was sold on the hype, worst decision I made

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free soda, relaxed dress code, nice people, new problems everyday to troubleshoot

Cons

I was sold that this is a great place for your next journey in IT. I come here and find out it is great if you like to play politics. I left a good job and got screwed. I have found nothing but horrible, inexperienced managers. The training is very generic and there is only so much openstack hype they have to run on. Reorg's every quarter and shrinking employee perks. Benefits stink and raises are do not happen. San Antonio is not the best tech hub and wish I would of hit Austin before relocating down here. Potential new hires, please make sure you do your homework on this company. It is not what it use to be and is changing very rapidly for the worse. A lot of techs are looking for other jobs, so expect another mass exodus.

I have nothing to say because SLT does not listen to IC's.

Sad to say it was nothing like they promised

Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

** Good on your resume (for now at least)

Cons

It looked so good from the outside but "Racker culture" if it ever existed is long gone. RS likes to quote it's harder to get into Princeton than Rackspace but many employees are underskilled and not weeded out by simple interview process.

** Worst politics of any corporation I've seen.
    ** Very little accountability.
    ** Chains of management doing nothing. One dev works for one manager who works for another manager and another... 1.7 workers per manager on average.
    ** No hope of promotion. No transparency of how to get promoted unless you're friends with the right people.
    ** Super bureaucratic. Can't get expenses signed off. Can't travel. Can't move internally without all the boxes checked.
    ** Shifting strategy and changes in direction all the time.
    ** Overqualified people doing simple tasks for underqualified managers.
    ** Pay is below par for the market. First thing manager said to me when I joined was to never expect a raise (2-3% for the superstars, he said). Wow, so motivational.
    ** Technology is fairly weak and ability to plan/implement/execute is very poor. Always missing delivery dates.
    ** Layoffs happening while company still hiring 40-50 people a week (look at the listings on LinkedIn!)
    ** Training is weak-to-nonexistent
    ** More of sales/marketing company than a tech company. Employees expecting tech will be disappointed.
    ** Rampant waste - agencies and vendors everywhere doing basic tasks.
    ** Cross-functional silos and constant reorg'ing mean slackers can hide and never get fired or called out.

RS needs to get bought or sold instead of being run by amateurs like a $1 billion mom and pop shop. I wasted two years here but knew it was a dead end after 3 months.

"SLT" as it's called here is bloated and full of ineffective managers or Graham's sycophants. Need to clear house and fire 75% of director-and-above.

Senior Program Manager

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Dress Code, Work/Life Balance, Free Gym.

Cons

Politics that make the Game of Thrones look tame. Promotion is based on popularity. Rackers aren't given the tools they need to take care of their customers.

Take a hard look at your managers (VPs, Dir, Sr Mgrs, Mgrs). Don't just look at their engagement scores, but look at the effectiveness of their teams. Get rid of your directors with no direct reports.

Lack of quality

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

1. Neat things to do
    2. Interesting technology

Cons

1. Low Pay
    2. Poor benefits
    3. Changing vision (constantly) - due to rapidly changing / new leadership constantly
    4. Very, very poor middle management. Managers getting promoted without delivering tangible value.
    5. Faltering of the company core values (layoffs, no transparency regarding criteria.)
    6. Very unclear definition of career path. Some individuals have not gotten a pay raise in more than one year. Others seemingly get promoted once or more times per year.

Where to start? Reinvent from the ground up. What made this place Rackspace is rapidly eroding.

Not the same Rackspace since the previous CEO left

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

relaxed business attire, free soda, coffee, food trucks every few days, themed rooms, open sitting area

Cons

Company does not practice their own values. They announced layoffs, but no one knows about it. Had to find out by word of mouth. Makes more people scared when they find out.
    After reading the majority of reviews, it seems middle management is the pain of this company and I couldn't agree more. They make quick decisions without actual data to back them up and people wonder what is going on. The only people who leave positive reviews here, are the managers. They are not in the trenches like the techs are working non stop.
    Pay is subpar unless you have a good manager fighting for you.

I think you need to rethink your core values. They are not followed anymore. Just hang out on the floor and you will see the constant complaining. Techs are burned out...

tired and burned out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great friends
    Food trucks during the week
    Get to see new issues each day
    No dress code

Cons

A handful of techs drive this company. You get burned out with the amount of pressure and constant nagging of getting things done. A lot of techs do not have the drive to keep learning, so they get comfortable in their position and not caring anymore. They do their 9-5 and go home with issues left broken. The mentality is that eh, I can just escalate this up and they'll fix it. NO ACCOUNTABILITY in this company. Very political on who you know. Middle manager's should not be managers. You can't train people to be a good manager. They have to want to be a good manager!

Company is cutting a lot of the things that made this company once great. Benefits get worse every year and too many people leaving. I guess they have no choice but to take things away to keep the stock price good. The con of a public company..

Also, San Antonio is not really a tech hub. Stick to the West coast or Austin. The day Rax goes under, a lot of people will be screwed in San Antonio.

Relook at your org and start having your managers act like managers instead of people who nag if things are getting done. If you see a trend of things failing, rework it instead of adding pressure to your techs. Its just not worth it and you wonder why people are leaving.

Lost what made it special, potential death spiral.

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rackers: MANY of the Rackers here make this the only reason I've stayed as long as I have. Many of these people are close friends, confidants, and some of the most down to earth and reasonable people you will ever work with.

Cons

No Cohesion in the Offering: For years, there has not been cohesion between the "cloud", "office", and "dedicated" offerings. This is confusing for our customers. The attitude and actions that have been made recently will ensure this problem will get worse! Allowing groups to go off and build disparate tools, interfaces, etc. is wrong and not in the interest of our customers.

Accounting Games: Management is regular pulling accounting levers to try to improve the data reported to wall street. Most recently the changes in the ETO policy and removing the paid benefits for sabbaticals for seven year Rackers. Instead of obsessing about the accounting tricks, leadership needs to be focused on building a compelling offering!

Lack of Opinionated Decisions: We have no opinion on what to offer to customers, so we offer them fanatical anything. OpenStack Private Cloud? VMWare? HyperV? We can do it all, and we do it all mediocrely, at best. Meanwhile, what customers really want is a strong opinion from us on what we should offer. The infinite customization can never be supported

Practice Areas: This is one of the biggest fails of them all. Individual teams are put on a pedestal as a "model" for the company . It shouldn't be amazing that a product with a small amount of revenue is "growing gangbusters". To make matters worse, this has propped up the ego of Rackers who are in positions above what they are qualified for. The ObjectRocket team (sometimes inaccurately referred to as DataStores) is emblematic of this.

Be Consistent in your Message: Stop saying "everything we do is cloud" our customers don't look at it that way. This phrase is a byproduct of a clear bias towards advancing in the cloud over the last several years and was said to try to bridge Rackers working in "dedicated" with those working in "cloud". Stop the craziness. When Rackers clearly don't think this is the case, our customers and future customers certainly don't as well.

Turnover: 2014 was a year of exceptional turnover among highly talented Rackers. A large number of highly skilled Rackers are continuing to look for better opportunities. 2015 has the potential to have even worse turnover leaving little technical leadership in place by the end of the year.

Leadership by Anecdote - This is a company that operates off of the conjecture and opinion of a few, non-technical, MBAs that have excessive, misplaced authority. These leaders make decisions based on a few anecdotes and not on any real customer-based opinion. Unfortunately, this leadership style is pervasive within SLT and is driving the company in a direction that is destined to fail.

Re-recruit - Aggressively work to keep the Rackers around who have worked to make this a special place. Get some of the best Rackers back who have left and give them the authority to make this place successful.

Product Vision - Get a real product visionary in place who has the authority to make tough decisions and has a strong point of view. Either that, or put in place a tiger team, policy board, committee that will solve all of these problems by consensus, that could work... oh wait.

Hire @cloud_opinion as a consultant

Was a great place around 3 years ago..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is ok depending what team/org you are in.
    Can wear whatever you want to work.

Cons

Management is out of touch on how to run a company of this size. They are inexperienced and demoralizing employees. I don't understand how someone with no management experience can get promoted and have power of your reviews on promotions, etc. The system works where if you suck up enough, you get promoted not by your hard work. This is why there is a mass exodus that happens of all your smart talent. The wrong people get promoted and the good people leave. The salary is not on par with the industry. They say other perks make up for it. Their bonus is too volatile as it is based on company growth and not your own goals assigned to you. I'd say this was a great company 3 years ago, but now it is time to look else where.

Your expectations for underpaid employees is crazy. Need to fire half your middle tier managers.

One of the Worst Company in my career

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

No dress code even people will come in shorts also.

Cons

Micro management. My project manager was always puts too much work pressure on first day onwards. The people who joined in her team, normally she gives two weeks KT and training time period. For me, she gave me work first day on wards and she gave me very short time for complete task (even I didn't get my office laptop or work station.).
    Bad Example:
    On my joining day, even didn’t get my office laptop. She said me you didn't get office laptop so, we are not paying you this day (May be kidding are serious).

Please please consider employee welfare.

Frat House for Grown-ups

Current Employee - Racker in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Racker in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fitness options, coffee, soda, good medical benefits, customer interaction is enjoyable, company shuttle to corporate? Really? Is this 20 words yet because I am running out of ideas that go beyond an occasional breakfast taco.

Cons

Too much management, not enough qualified managers. Job expectations are beyond the compensation. No pay raises in over 2 years, this is becoming a trend which is causing a lot of tenure rackers to leave for more pay elsewhere. Instead of compensating employees with money well earned they try and band-aid it over with booze, which I can understand the logic... "Keep em' drunk y'all, they won't realize they are getting SCREWED!" Unfortunately they forgot that not everyone in the company is a drinker so there are many of use that see exactly what is going on. This place is like working in the "Lambda Lambda Lambda fraternity" in case you are not aware of what I am referring to I suggest you watch REVENGE OF THE NERDS! Rackspace = A bunch of drunk nerd losers that are with a group of their own kind and now they think they are cool! I do not recommend working here! Try Metacloud or SoftLayer instead, at least you will get paid for your work at those companies!

My advice to the managers: Take some management classes, get over your stupid egos and join an AA meeting!