Rackspace

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
3.4

Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Was sold on the hype, worst decision I made

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free soda, relaxed dress code, nice people, new problems everyday to troubleshoot

Cons

I was sold that this is a great place for your next journey in IT. I come here and find out it is great if you like to play politics. I left a good job and got screwed. I have found nothing but horrible, inexperienced managers. The training is very generic and there is only so much openstack hype they have to run on. Reorg's every quarter and shrinking employee perks. Benefits stink and raises are do not happen. San Antonio is not the best tech hub and wish I would of hit Austin before relocating down here. Potential new hires, please make sure you do your homework on this company. It is not what it use to be and is changing very rapidly for the worse. A lot of techs are looking for other jobs, so expect another mass exodus.

I have nothing to say because SLT does not listen to IC's.

Best company and the ultimate in servant leadership.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, lots of development opportunity. Well position for the future.

Cons

Prior strategic missteps have made the road more difficult.

Death of a once great company

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Front line rackers (support, engineers, developers) are generally great people to work with. Many are burning the candle at both ends hoping for the company to correct itself.

Cons

- Layoffs: As the company continues to hire, layoffs have been occurring with very little transparency leading to rampant speculation.

- Death of Core Values: The core values at Rackspace are officially dead. We ought to simply paint over them and recognize they are no longer a guidepost for how we operate the business.

- Difficulty Leaving San Antonio: If you move to San Antonio, realize that it will be very difficult to leave. In some ways, management uses this to their advantage. If Rackspace were located in a high-tech city, the inept leadership at this company would not be allowed to behave in the way they currently are, they would all be fired as a mass exodus and the resulting reputation hit would be immediately evident. In San Antonio, it will take

- CEO: The new CEO and the changes that have been implemented have been disappointing. He is out of touch with customers, Rackers. The best thing for him to happen is to "retire from Rackspace". At Rackspace, retirement has a different meaning if you are a senior executive.

The SLT and most VPs are in positions that they are extremely under qualified for. One of the few things SLT is world class at is the art of re-organization. Surely if you shuffle the deck often enough, greatness might eme

Great company, edge technology - going downhill with too much middle management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the most cutting edge Cloud technology
    Great benefits
    Vast majority of co-workers are the most intelligent and generous people in the world.
    Ample training opportunities.

Cons

Growing pains - in attempting to grow from a medium to large-size enterprise, they have hired a surplus of middle-managers who know little about the technologies involved, and only seem to have one strategy. Re-shuffle teams and re-shuffle the organization.

There is a lot of cronyism, and politicking - depending on the organization.

Adhere to the Core values. I left because they were not being practiced.
    Continue focus on customer and providing Fanatical customer support.
    Everything else is just talk.

Sad to say it was nothing like they promised

Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

** Good on your resume (for now at least)

Cons

It looked so good from the outside but "Racker culture" if it ever existed is long gone. RS likes to quote it's harder to get into Princeton than Rackspace but many employees are underskilled and not weeded out by simple interview process.

** Worst politics of any corporation I've seen.
    ** Very little accountability.
    ** Chains of management doing nothing. One dev works for one manager who works for another manager and another... 1.7 workers per manager on average.
    ** No hope of promotion. No transparency of how to get promoted unless you're friends with the right people.
    ** Super bureaucratic. Can't get expenses signed off. Can't travel. Can't move internally without all the boxes checked.
    ** Shifting strategy and changes in direction all the time.
    ** Overqualified people doing simple tasks for underqualified managers.
    ** Pay is below par for the market. First thing manager said to me when I joined was to never expect a raise (2-3% for the superstars, he said). Wow, so motivational.
    ** Technology is fairly weak and ability to plan/implement/execute is very poor. Always missing delivery dates.
    ** Layoffs happening while company still hiring 40-50 people a week (look at the listings on LinkedIn!)
    ** Training is weak-to-nonexistent
    ** More of sales/marketing company than a tech company. Employees expecting tech will be disappointed.
    ** Rampant waste - agencies and vendors everywhere doing basic tasks.
    ** Cross-functional silos and constant reorg'ing mean slackers can hide and never get fired or called out.

RS needs to get bought or sold instead of being run by amateurs like a $1 billion mom and pop shop. I wasted two years here but knew it was a dead end after 3 months.

"SLT" as it's called here is bloated and full of ineffective managers or Graham's sycophants. Need to clear house and fire 75% of director-and-above.

Rackspace Financial Analyst

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Fun environment and exciting industry

Cons

Small company that's still trying to determine where it fits into the mix

Great environment for fostering growth

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Great culture with lots of intelligent people all around you. Promotes knowledge and training. Open culture of communication. everyone seems to be working to improve things at all times.

Cons

Understaffed - Complicated internal systems - segmentation of teams who are also understaffed

staff up to deal with growth. train efficiently and stick to standardized processes

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great stepping stone, free training in all aspects of the business, world class reputation, great office amenities

Cons

Pay is low compared to other companies

Work harder to keep employees as much as you do your customers

Senior Program Manager

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Dress Code, Work/Life Balance, Free Gym.

Cons

Politics that make the Game of Thrones look tame. Promotion is based on popularity. Rackers aren't given the tools they need to take care of their customers.

Take a hard look at your managers (VPs, Dir, Sr Mgrs, Mgrs). Don't just look at their engagement scores, but look at the effectiveness of their teams. Get rid of your directors with no direct reports.

Culture changing, no longer a great place to work

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Quick adoption of technology, Transparent culture

Cons

Benefits way lower than industry standards, no work life balance