Rackspace Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
586 reviews filtered by
3.3
Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

1. Started out great!

Current Employee - Network Security
    Current Employee - Network Security

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent and amazing co-workers. Paid training - when available. Team outings. Good environment to learn new skills. Upward mobility and opportunity to expand/change roles within the company. Company supports local communities and offers opportunities to get involved.

Cons

Support roles are all metrics oriented - # of calls, time on the phones, etc rather than focus on results. Going public basically killed the culture. Salary is not competitive.

The fanatical support people are your best resource. Take care of them.

2. Great people and culture. Systems need improvement.

Current Employee - Support Engineer II in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Support Engineer II in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great working environment and relaxed, informal atmosphere.
    Company culture of conscientious working is clear, simple and generally well observed.
    Some unique characters that are actually really fun to work with.
    Good variety of people - massive range of ages, races and backgrounds and a pretty good gender split for an IT company (Marketing team is hottie central).
    I found everyone there to be genuinely helpful.
    My manager took a genuine interest in my career development (can't speak for all managers obviously)
    I felt valued as an individual here.
    Good benefits - everything you would expect and more - free Virgin gym membership, free massages, on-site gym, discount schemes with local retail outlets, travel insurance - the list is endless.
    Lots of fun stuff - Quarterly team building events, free food etc..
    25 days holiday from the start with the option to salary sacrifice for another 5 days, plus your birthday off.
    Very understanding when it comes to WFH, flexible hours etc - great for parents.
    The Rackspace name on your CV attracts a lot of attention from recruiters.
    Earlier issues with too many layers of management have been recognised and are being dealt with..

Cons

No salary increase in almost 2 years.
    As with most big companies, massive segregation of duties exists, so in all roles there is restricted variety, which won't suit everyone.
    Hayes, the area in which the office is located, is a bit rough.
    The internal ERP system, automation and tools that employees use to support the Customers have not scaled well with the company's expansion and are only marginally fit for purpose - malfunctions are regular, forcing frustrating manual workarounds.
    Corporate strategy was very confusing in 2013/14 - they couldn't decide whether they were a hosting company, a software company or a services company. The company slogan was changing every 6 months. Things have settled down a bit now, thankfully.

You're already doing a great job with the culture, the environment, with hiring the right people and keeping them motivated - now please do the same with the company's mission and focus.

And sort out that internal software!! People are getting fed up with it!

3. I'd work there again.

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Great people to work with if you enjoy a laid back, fun atmosphere.

Cons

Because they are still small there are pockets of people in leadership that have been with the company since or just about since the beginning that should not be in those roles. They reward loyalty to a fault some times.

"The Engine Room" ... utter chaos

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- No dress code.
    - Lenience with being on time.
    - Tons of classes.
    - Excellent healthcare and plenty of Paid Time Off
    - Team outings, free food, lots of parties
    - Smart people all around.
    - Lots of resources for learning!
    - Transparency from upper to middle management
    - Flexibility / independence on the floor.
    - Good stepping stone.

Cons

- Little work/life balance. You will meet some great people, and it can easily envelop your social life.
    - While there is flexibility on the floor, this also comes with ambiguity.
    - Departments ping-pong work against each other; there is frequently "pushback", no willingness to work together. The culture "friends and family" is dead.
    - Too sales-driven - they are selling business models that do not exist (we are expected to provide Fanatical Support, with frivolous layers of disclaimers)
    - Poor, if non-existent internal documentation
    - Unclear escalation paths
    - Perhaps *too* much transparency at times? i.e. coworkers using "company morals" to get away with sloppy work
    - Rules are not enforced. Many people get away with doing little to no work
    - Rampant drinking - very frat-like, competitive partying.
    - Too many changes released preemptively (broken products, lack of official training)
    - Extremely loud environment. "Drinking from the Firehose"

Pay more attention to the small to medium businesses, and, the sysadmins who support these customers.
    Pricing keeps going up. Why? Customers are noticing the changes, quickly.
    I wish they would place less focus buzzword sales like "devops". "hybrid cloud", "automation", when all of these things are industry standard now.

fix the customized products, ensure proper documentation is released, and train employees before selling the products.

Also, something to note, Weston once said... "...to be recognized as *one of* the greatest..."
    They are now claiming "#1 Managed cloud" from a Garner quadrant...again, using business and sales to push products that do not exist.

Management needs to work on distinguishing what our roles entail. Most Rackers carry on doing "their own thing" even if new policies are enforced. It's not fair that people who have "5 year flags" have an owning sense of seniority that overrides new rules etc. There is a chaotic, tribal sense to everything.

If you can't keep your head up, you will drown.

I would not recommend working at Rackspace longer than a year, unless you thrive off of the constant change and the prospect of not being watched with a close eye.

A disappointing decline

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many talented, hard-working people at Rackspace and you may get to work with them. Some of the tech they work on is new and interesting, and working for Rackspace is (currently) seen as good experience on a resume. Depending on your team, you may be able to maintain a relatively sane work-life balance.

Cons

Rackspace has never been known for competitive pay and their raises leave much to be desired. The culture that people came and stayed for is now gone, thanks to the new CEO. Many benefits have been cut or removed (including stipends for teams to have events, spending on conferences and learning opportunities, and sabbaticals). There was also a rash of layoffs at the start of 2015 without any transparency as to why we were laying off hundreds of people, except that it was not related to job performance.

Although I was lucky enough to have an exceptional manager, many do not - and middle management is as bloated as always with people who were not given a technical career track option and have no aptitude for management. Expectations of managers have continued to be poorly defined (should I be a people manager, a technical manager, or an individual contributor?) and there are very few who can accomplish all three objectives well. Politics are absolutely rampant now - promotion decisions are made in bars and hallway discussions and do a disservice to the company by continuing to promote people who are better at canoodling than running an effective organization.

Work-life balance depends entirely on your team and manager. There are a lot of incompetent and/or lazy people who have made their way into the company during previous growth phases and Rackspace does a poor job of asking those people to leave. "A" players are often forced to work the extra hours to make up for their lackluster team mates in the spirit of "fanaticism". Truly fanatical Rackers have burned out and left.

Bring back the core values and culture, or pay your employees well enough that they stop caring.

Get rid of middle managers who are clearly not meant for management, or give them individual contributor opportunities where they can successful.

7. Still the best company that you could work for

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Influential leaders honestly care about frontline employees. I've been here for a long time and things are still working out well for the Rackers who dig in and try to make us all better.

Cons

There are some employees who long for "the good ol' days." Folks, we are actively making *these* the good old days. Please step up or step out.

Let's go change the word. I fully support Taylor Rhodes and the moves that he's making.

8. Very sociable place to work for with lots of opportunities to grow, needs some structure

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great if you're an open minded sociable fella, but could be tough if you're not. Easy to move internally due to the worldwide massive expansion of the cloud business. Individual career plans are acknowledged and resources made available.

Cons

Too relaxed when comes to establishing processes and as a consequence we often find ourselves revisiting recurring issues.

Focus more on the individuals rather than solely on stats and project work.

9. Working at Rackspace

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Great Benefits and great culture

Cons

Less Pay and culture is changing

Increase pay

Great place to work until the newness wears off

Current Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Rackspace really caters to its employees. Lots of perks for working there. Very fast paced environment keeps you on your toes.

Cons

Lack of direction at times. Too much trying to fix everything at once without any real plan or direction. Doing things just to do them instead of planning and mapping out

Be genuinely interested in your employees. Not just for what they can do for you now. Guide them and give them that career path

11. Great place to gain experience.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer IV in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer IV in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

I really enjoyed my time with the company! It was a pleasure coming to work everyday. I would highly recommend Rackspace to people with a couple years of experience looking to grow skill sets. Spend a couple years and get some experience and certs.

Cons

Working for a publicly traded company can be frustrating at times. Perks are slowly being phased out. Moving up at Rackspace seems to have become more difficult in the last 18 months. Most open hire tickets are backfills. More senior roles are filled with people not going anywhere.

Keep the culture strong. Give out a few t-shirts. Provide more opportunities for professional growth.