Rackspace

Employer Engaged

Would not recommend - No work life balance

Former Employee - Accounting in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Casual work attire was really nice. Free drinks in their break stations and some really great and smart people.

Cons

Absolutely no work life balance. Was averaging 55-60 hrs/week. Management acts like they support you but are very quick to throw you under the bus just to cover their own. No structure and very poor evaluation. They give you an evaluation and you're completely surprised because in all your previous meeting they praise you and then hit you with a 'Did not meet expectations' evaluation. A very stressful, unprofessional, and unhappy work environment.

Fun place to work, cheap

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Great people, fun place to work

Cons

You're paid below market and expected to work 2x more.

Stop being greedy and taking all the stock. We all know what you are doing, getting as much as you can before things slow down

Underpaid, Bad management, Good friends

Current Employee - Senior Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good friends who understand the same pain you are going through with this company

Cons

Not paid enough to put up with the demands your manager is giving you. Your manager has no idea how to manage, so the blame always falls on you. They have a management training program, but it does not seem to be helping with these new managers. They throw them in the wild and use the floor as a training ground. We are not a startup anymore, but they try to treat it as it is. If your customer complains, it is all your fault (sse) and not the AM, BDC, or any of the admins who screwed up.

Before, it was all our cloud and no one else's, but now it is everyones cloud we manage. We don't even have people who understand our cloud, let alone now manage other clouds :( SLT is trying to throw darts blindly to see what works. We did this 5 years ago and got hurt and here we are doing it again.

Politics suck here. Make sure to play the game right to get promoted. Will leave it at that.

You need to start hiring better tech talent or you will be in some pain in the near future.

Harder than ever

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

It is still possible to have an enjoyable job here. The company is doing more interesting work than I think I could find at a lot of other places, especially in south Texas. I feel that I am compensated well. If the company can find a path that works and stick with it long enough for the staff to provide great support around it, employee satisfaction could go up again.

Cons

The company has lost a lot of talent and it feels like we've been making more sacrifices than I've seen in my years here. Happy Rackers provide great support and the money will follow. It seems like we've been addressing this at the opposite end by cutting benefits to save money and Racker engagement keeps dropping.

The company has been trying to find its footing for the past few years. Support staff is expected to know a lot about everything but the training isn't where it needs to be. Combined with high turnover, and sometimes it feels like the blind are leading the blind. Our tools are fragmented and not all that good either.

There is a lack of good technical leadership that would be able to measure merit and skill level, so things fall back on politics.

I think that from a product and roadmap standpoint we have some good ideas and with the right leadership in sales and support that we can execute. I wouldn't be upset to see better people in certain key roles.

Love it!

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about working at Rackspace is working with smart, driven and intelligent people!

Cons

It can be difficult to disconnect from work.

We need focus more on preparing new leaders when they are promoted into management.

Things are changing

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It seems that the company is trying to find itself, which is better than what they have been doing in the past.

Cons

-no competitive pay for the work you are expected to due
    -middle management has no idea how to manage people
    -senior people leaving, but getting mediocre people in return

-cut dead weight (managers/techs)
    -redo your interview process. too many people get booted because 1 person did not like them. you are losing some great candidates from this methodology of hiring.

So far so good with some bumps in the road.

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere, Competitive, CORE values

Cons

Constant growing pains, Constant change

Low pay, which Culture can never make up for....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

- company culture
    - great technical folks
    - some training

Cons

- low pay
    - no upward mobility
    - middle management that doesn't have a clue
    - empty promises

Learn about servant leadership, and start Enabling and Empowering the folks that work for you!

Volatile growth = incompetent mid-management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, successful (growing) company, opportunity for advancement, opportunity to expand knowledge and skills, decent pay, casual atmosphere (when not client-facing).

Cons

Rackspace's volatile revenue growth has led to the promotion of many unqualified mid-managers, either for lack of other options or because they are promoted by friends. The teams beneath these poor managers suffer as a result. The company has a very "in club" environment that looks out for each other rather than the best interests of the company or all employees.

Support staff is considered on call 24/7, which can be upsetting when you're trying to achieve a healthy work-life balance with family, friends, hobbies, and sleep.

Much of the company's financial success can be attributed to good real estate wins (Dallas DC & San Antonio HQ) and are not indicative of a successful business model via products and services. Long-term gains may not be as lucrative as the company's early years.

Get a handle on the low-level management running your teams. Poor managers poison the employees who are on the front lines with your customers.

Sad to say it was nothing like they promised

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

** Good on your resume (for now at least)

Cons

It looked so good from the outside but "Racker culture" if it ever existed is long gone. RS likes to quote it's harder to get into Princeton than Rackspace but many employees are underskilled and not weeded out by simple interview process.

** Worst politics of any corporation I've seen.
    ** Very little accountability.
    ** Chains of management doing nothing. One dev works for one manager who works for another manager and another... 1.7 workers per manager on average.
    ** No hope of promotion. No transparency of how to get promoted unless you're friends with the right people.
    ** Super bureaucratic. Can't get expenses signed off. Can't travel. Can't move internally without all the boxes checked.
    ** Shifting strategy and changes in direction all the time.
    ** Overqualified people doing simple tasks for underqualified managers.
    ** Pay is below par for the market. First thing manager said to me when I joined was to never expect a raise (2-3% for the superstars, he said). Wow, so motivational.
    ** Technology is fairly weak and ability to plan/implement/execute is very poor. Always missing delivery dates.
    ** Layoffs happening while company still hiring 40-50 people a week (look at the listings on LinkedIn!)
    ** Training is weak-to-nonexistent
    ** More of sales/marketing company than a tech company. Employees expecting tech will be disappointed.
    ** Rampant waste - agencies and vendors everywhere doing basic tasks.
    ** Cross-functional silos and constant reorg'ing mean slackers can hide and never get fired or called out.

RS needs to get bought or sold instead of being run by amateurs like a $1 billion mom and pop shop. I wasted two years here but knew it was a dead end after 3 months.

"SLT" as it's called here is bloated and full of ineffective managers or Graham's sycophants. Need to clear house and fire 75% of director-and-above.