Rackspace Reviews

3.9

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 34 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best places to work! Get on-board while we're hiring!

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Fantastic leadership by Graham and Lanham
    Laid back environment
    Many on the job perks
    Competitive benefits
    Profit sharing and bonuses (based on performance review)
    Peer and management performance reviews to offer helpful feedback and incentivise fanatical effort

Cons

Communication has been complicated at times
    Growth has been rampant, so changes are very common

We need the VP level management to be as competent as our Director level management- get rid of the busybodies and promote successful, technically inclined management up.

Keep up the great work!

Great place, but some aspects are hyped up.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Technical people are looked upon favorably.
    Lots of opportunity to advance skillset on the job.
    You can actually reach upper level people (CEO, chairman, etc).
    There is indeed free soda, coffee, and tea.
    It seems that leveling up within a position is quite consistent and regular (e.g. support 1 -> support 2).

Cons

Gym is composed of solely of machines and dumbbells (no barbells for people who want to lift weights).
    The "cafe" mentioned is non-existent as far as I can tell.
    Free snacks is limited to apples and bananas.
    There is no official carpool program, although they list this as a perk (in fact, from what I observed there is no employee carpool, just friends who carpool).
    Rackspace University is geared towards IT and Management/Business, with other classes taking a backseat or not being held.
    On-site health services means free health screenings every so often.
    Career progression can be slow if you want to move up positions (e.g. support -> network).

I notice that the company is being run in such a way that it seems that the primary intent is for execs and other leaders to be able to exercise their stock options and sell at a good price, while at the same time giving employees a poor stock purchase plan. I think one of the biggest pieces of non-financial evidence is the fact that Napier spends a lot of time courting the media. This makes me feel unsure about the future of the company and whether leadership and employees interests are aligned.

The company has great promise

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

- Casual work environment
    - Great people
    - Excellent place to learn and grow as an individual
    - Lots of in-house training offered, some of it is excellent
    - The culture is amazing

Cons

- People/teams are often not held accountable to fix their mistakes
    - Currently struggling with maintaining their culture due to the large company growth
    - Losing a lot of talented people because of salary/compensation concerns

Instead of just promoting people to a higher level in their current position, hire internally for the management opportunities that are available.

Good place to work!

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

- Casual dress
    - WFH opportunities
    - Flexible hours
    - Free soda & snacks
    - Breakfast and lunch always available on-site
    - Laid back atmosphere
    - Good compensation
    - Great managers and leadership
    - Passionate employees
    - Awesome support staff

Cons

- Distracting open-floor atmosphere...
    - Location is on the far east side of San Antonio...
    - They outsource work that could be done in-house

Great management staff but sometimes they're overwhelmed. Perhaps more project managers would help? Better organization and clear direction to the all teams and departments would benefit this company by leaps and bounds.

A great company with some great achievements and great problems.

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Co-workers for the most part are some of the most technically talented in the business. Senior Leadership and our CEO is very optimistic and visionary and you can't help but love the guy because he has a great personality. Free Drinks. Casual Dress Code. and Friends and Family policy.

Cons

Salaries are under the industry average for just about every position. The only reason we retain any talent is due to the poor economy and nice culture. Stock Options/raises/bonuses are a joke for support floor Rackers if they are available at all. The new middle management layer has done more damage than good. Many do not understand the responsibilities of the Rackers they manage and this causes confusion and poor performance reviews based on ignorance and reading statistic spreadsheets. Nobody on the support floor seems to be appreciated at all anymore due to the disconnect between mid management and Rackers...even though Upper Management says we are the secret sauce.

Please stop hiring more mid-managers and use the money to hire more support floor Rackers to keep Fanatical Support alive. Treat your Senior Rackers like they are worth gold..because they are. Give everyone a defined path of career advancement and please keep salaries at the industry average so we can hold on to the people who helped make Rackspace a great company to work for.

Fanatical

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Amazing place to work. Flexible. Possesses an awesome Culture. And our customers are amazing. If you love working with people, you will love this place.

Cons

With great culture unfortunately comes cliques, favoritism, and unfairness at times. A lot of ups and downs here but our senior leadership is amazing.

Great culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Employees treat each other with respect, like friends and family. I can count on my fellow co-workers to do their best.

Cons

The rate of change can be a little overwhelming at times. Sometimes that makes keeping up with information a little difficult.

Great Place To work

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

No matter what your job title, you have the ability to make change if you are passionate enough about what you are doing.

Cons

May take awhile for some to become acclimated to Rackspace and learn how to get thing done. Individual contributors have a hard time being successful here.

I am very happy with the direction of the company. I believe we have a bright future ahead of us. Keep the focus and keep communicating the strategy.

Disney World for Techs - watch out! there is dark side

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Fun People
    Casual dress
    BBQs
    After hours activities
    SA Fun! (email lists)

Cons

Below average pay, managers go out of their way to low ball new hires, new hires don't understand that they it's very difficult to get pay increases above 6%/year (negotiate hard before you are hired, demand a 6 month pay review and get it in writing)

No stock options or grants from front line Rackers (yet senior leaders sell millions of dollars bi-yearly)

Cut throat middle managers who make false promises

The Mall, toys at work, flags, fun and games and everything else that makes up 'Rackspace Culture'is is a big mirage to keep happy... even though you are paid below market, asked to work long hours, and not receiving thousands of dollars of company stock that your counterparts at competitors are receiving. Rackers don't leave because they love Rackspace, managers go out of their way to keep Rackers happy.

Note: Promoting and pay increases is negative measure on Rackspace Managers.

CCMS is huge example of career minded middle managers who went behind closed doors and didn't engage support rackers for input. Whats worse is they spoon fed a lie. Hopefully the negative NPS scores will bring some attention

Stock grants for front line rackers, rackers can't afford to buy a house let alone, let alone save for retirement, 90% of support rackers live in apartments.

Fanatical!

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

-Great culture (people and environment)
    -Solid Financials (security)
    -Strong Analysts ratings
    -Good Customer Scores (net promoter)
    -Progressive Technology
    -Great cost of living and no state tax
    -Hires the best of the best

Cons

-so fast paced and tons of change that is exciting, but also exhausting
    -high expectations
    -internal communication, but mostly because so faced pace
    -mindshare (needs to spend more $ on marketing-not on quality of brand which is awesome, but more on awareness of brand)

Love that all the execs are on the floor, but they are not always around. Awesome when they are because the leaders fuel the environment. More vacation or sabatical program! :)