Rackspace

www.rackspace.com
Employer Engaged

So far so good with some bumps in the road.

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere, Competitive, CORE values

Cons

Constant growing pains, Constant change

tired and burned out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great friends
    Food trucks during the week
    Get to see new issues each day
    No dress code

Cons

A handful of techs drive this company. You get burned out with the amount of pressure and constant nagging of getting things done. A lot of techs do not have the drive to keep learning, so they get comfortable in their position and not caring anymore. They do their 9-5 and go home with issues left broken. The mentality is that eh, I can just escalate this up and they'll fix it. NO ACCOUNTABILITY in this company. Very political on who you know. Middle manager's should not be managers. You can't train people to be a good manager. They have to want to be a good manager!

Company is cutting a lot of the things that made this company once great. Benefits get worse every year and too many people leaving. I guess they have no choice but to take things away to keep the stock price good. The con of a public company..

Also, San Antonio is not really a tech hub. Stick to the West coast or Austin. The day Rax goes under, a lot of people will be screwed in San Antonio.

Relook at your org and start having your managers act like managers instead of people who nag if things are getting done. If you see a trend of things failing, rework it instead of adding pressure to your techs. Its just not worth it and you wonder why people are leaving.

Love it!

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about working at Rackspace is working with smart, driven and intelligent people!

Cons

It can be difficult to disconnect from work.

We need focus more on preparing new leaders when they are promoted into management.

Lost what made it special, potential death spiral.

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rackers: MANY of the Rackers here make this the only reason I've stayed as long as I have. Many of these people are close friends, confidants, and some of the most down to earth and reasonable people you will ever work with.

Cons

No Cohesion in the Offering: For years, there has not been cohesion between the "cloud", "office", and "dedicated" offerings. This is confusing for our customers. The attitude and actions that have been made recently will ensure this problem will get worse! Allowing groups to go off and build disparate tools, interfaces, etc. is wrong and not in the interest of our customers.

Accounting Games: Management is regular pulling accounting levers to try to improve the data reported to wall street. Most recently the changes in the ETO policy and removing the paid benefits for sabbaticals for seven year Rackers. Instead of obsessing about the accounting tricks, leadership needs to be focused on building a compelling offering!

Lack of Opinionated Decisions: We have no opinion on what to offer to customers, so we offer them fanatical anything. OpenStack Private Cloud? VMWare? HyperV? We can do it all, and we do it all mediocrely, at best. Meanwhile, what customers really want is a strong opinion from us on what we should offer. The infinite customization can never be supported

Practice Areas: This is one of the biggest fails of them all. Individual teams are put on a pedestal as a "model" for the company . It shouldn't be amazing that a product with a small amount of revenue is "growing gangbusters". To make matters worse, this has propped up the ego of Rackers who are in positions above what they are qualified for. The ObjectRocket team (sometimes inaccurately referred to as DataStores) is emblematic of this.

Be Consistent in your Message: Stop saying "everything we do is cloud" our customers don't look at it that way. This phrase is a byproduct of a clear bias towards advancing in the cloud over the last several years and was said to try to bridge Rackers working in "dedicated" with those working in "cloud". Stop the craziness. When Rackers clearly don't think this is the case, our customers and future customers certainly don't as well.

Turnover: 2014 was a year of exceptional turnover among highly talented Rackers. A large number of highly skilled Rackers are continuing to look for better opportunities. 2015 has the potential to have even worse turnover leaving little technical leadership in place by the end of the year.

Leadership by Anecdote - This is a company that operates off of the conjecture and opinion of a few, non-technical, MBAs that have excessive, misplaced authority. These leaders make decisions based on a few anecdotes and not on any real customer-based opinion. Unfortunately, this leadership style is pervasive within SLT and is driving the company in a direction that is destined to fail.

Re-recruit - Aggressively work to keep the Rackers around who have worked to make this a special place. Get some of the best Rackers back who have left and give them the authority to make this place successful.

Product Vision - Get a real product visionary in place who has the authority to make tough decisions and has a strong point of view. Either that, or put in place a tiger team, policy board, committee that will solve all of these problems by consensus, that could work... oh wait.

Hire @cloud_opinion as a consultant

Things are changing

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It seems that the company is trying to find itself, which is better than what they have been doing in the past.

Cons

-no competitive pay for the work you are expected to due
    -middle management has no idea how to manage people
    -senior people leaving, but getting mediocre people in return

-cut dead weight (managers/techs)
    -redo your interview process. too many people get booted because 1 person did not like them. you are losing some great candidates from this methodology of hiring.

Volatile growth = incompetent mid-management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, successful (growing) company, opportunity for advancement, opportunity to expand knowledge and skills, decent pay, casual atmosphere (when not client-facing).

Cons

Rackspace's volatile revenue growth has led to the promotion of many unqualified mid-managers, either for lack of other options or because they are promoted by friends. The teams beneath these poor managers suffer as a result. The company has a very "in club" environment that looks out for each other rather than the best interests of the company or all employees.

Support staff is considered on call 24/7, which can be upsetting when you're trying to achieve a healthy work-life balance with family, friends, hobbies, and sleep.

Much of the company's financial success can be attributed to good real estate wins (Dallas DC & San Antonio HQ) and are not indicative of a successful business model via products and services. Long-term gains may not be as lucrative as the company's early years.

Get a handle on the low-level management running your teams. Poor managers poison the employees who are on the front lines with your customers.

Was a great place around 3 years ago..

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is ok depending what team/org you are in.
    Can wear whatever you want to work.

Cons

Management is out of touch on how to run a company of this size. They are inexperienced and demoralizing employees. I don't understand how someone with no management experience can get promoted and have power of your reviews on promotions, etc. The system works where if you suck up enough, you get promoted not by your hard work. This is why there is a mass exodus that happens of all your smart talent. The wrong people get promoted and the good people leave. The salary is not on par with the industry. They say other perks make up for it. Their bonus is too volatile as it is based on company growth and not your own goals assigned to you. I'd say this was a great company 3 years ago, but now it is time to look else where.

Your expectations for underpaid employees is crazy. Need to fire half your middle tier managers.

One of the Worst Company in my career

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

No dress code even people will come in shorts also.

Cons

Micro management. My project manager was always puts too much work pressure on first day onwards. The people who joined in her team, normally she gives two weeks KT and training time period. For me, she gave me work first day on wards and she gave me very short time for complete task (even I didn't get my office laptop or work station.).
    Bad Example:
    On my joining day, even didn’t get my office laptop. She said me you didn't get office laptop so, we are not paying you this day (May be kidding are serious).

Please please consider employee welfare.

Slightly above average, but getting better

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This part really depends on your age and your previous work experience. The atmosphere here is pretty laid back. The offices are geared towards openness and fun, meaning there are no 'offices', only cubicles, mostly with low walls between so you can see over them. Fun in that there are things like funky themed meeting rooms, slides from one floor to the other, video game machines, etc., to keep the employees entertained.

As far as benefits, Rackspace has very nice ones. They've finally got a very good, competitive health care provider with a nice array of options. There's an ESSP and stock options program. And I find that the PTO program is very competitive. I've been here almost 8 years and I get 6 1/2 weeks off a year.

Cons

The thing I most dislike about Rackspace is the management structure. I've personally seen over 20 people promoted to management that should never in anyone's wildest dreams be managing anything, much less people. You can get promoted here based on who you know more than what you can do or what your experience is. That drives me crazy. Also, too many people are still hanging on to the 'startup' mentality, even though there are now over 6000 employees here working in mutliple countries. The days of just winging it should be long over. Unfortunately, too many people, a lot of them the exact managers I'm complaining about, just do things based on whatever sounds good to them. If you're looking for things like agile, look elsewhere. Project management here is a joke.

Frat House for Grown-ups

Current Employee - Racker in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Racker in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fitness options, coffee, soda, good medical benefits, customer interaction is enjoyable, company shuttle to corporate? Really? Is this 20 words yet because I am running out of ideas that go beyond an occasional breakfast taco.

Cons

Too much management, not enough qualified managers. Job expectations are beyond the compensation. No pay raises in over 2 years, this is becoming a trend which is causing a lot of tenure rackers to leave for more pay elsewhere. Instead of compensating employees with money well earned they try and band-aid it over with booze, which I can understand the logic... "Keep em' drunk y'all, they won't realize they are getting SCREWED!" Unfortunately they forgot that not everyone in the company is a drinker so there are many of use that see exactly what is going on. This place is like working in the "Lambda Lambda Lambda fraternity" in case you are not aware of what I am referring to I suggest you watch REVENGE OF THE NERDS! Rackspace = A bunch of drunk nerd losers that are with a group of their own kind and now they think they are cool! I do not recommend working here! Try Metacloud or SoftLayer instead, at least you will get paid for your work at those companies!

My advice to the managers: Take some management classes, get over your stupid egos and join an AA meeting!