Rackspace Reviews

Reset

Support Technician II

Current Employee - Support Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Support Technician in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to grow in this company is all around. There are no glass ceilings and if you want to move positions and work for it, you can achieve it.

Cons

Need to do a better job at stopping attrition. Losing to many good Rackers and not getting enough in.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep everyone informed. It's not noise, we generally care about where you're taking us.

2. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rackspace lives it's core values. I'm excited to come to work here every single day. I work with people who care about me as a person as well as my career and success.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to write about. I've had a number of jobs in my career and I feel like I have finally found my "home"

Advice to Management

I can't think of any to write about. I've had a number of jobs in my career and I feel like I have finally found my "home"

Fun but be on guard

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment. Great for those finishing college. Up to date on technology when compared to other companies. Food vendors and gym on premises.

Cons

Too demanding if you value family and work life balance. Original Rackers feel entitled and many abuse the privilege of what being a Racker means now.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of change or your fellow Rackers. Many crave change but don't speak up for fear of changing the culture. Culture exists in the hearts of Rackers, not what a few think Rackspace is suppose to be or was.

Fun while it lasted

Pros

Great work environment and people

Cons

Was great till new management was brought in from HP and Dell

6. Great career starting point

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator III in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator III in Austin, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met a great group of people

Cons

Salary cap and culture eroding

Advice to Management

Relax

7. It's ok

Former Employee - Production Specialist
    Former Employee - Production Specialist

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, relaxed atmosphere, rarely have to take work home.

Cons

Not many perks if you work in a DC. Salaries not competitive.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more.

8. Great company

Former Employee - Devops Engineer III in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Devops Engineer III in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with a lot of smart people to learn from and make yourself a better engineer.

Cons

A lot of management changes that sometimes leave the people under them without a manager, and thus a career path.

Advice to Management

Make sure you keep your employees career goals in mind.

Really Amazing place to work and learn.

Current Employee - Linux Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It'seems an awesome environment of learning helping people and getting paid to have fun. They have a slide and free sodas what more can you ask for, right?

Cons

Working at Rackspace like any other workplace has its ups and downs, but the biggest downside may be that there's a lot of great things to do, it's difficult to decide what you want to do.

Lack of clear strategy, no ability to maintain focus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you like to slack off, chances are you can do it at Rackspace and won't get fired for it. About 70% of the workforce *wants* to do the right thing (see above for what the other 30% are doing), but without clear, consistent direction from leadership, it's just a bunch of people running around like chickens with their heads cut off, or doing very little at all.

Cons

WAY too many people providing little to no value to the business (some actually creating negative value--yes that is possible.) Lack of clear, consistent direction from leadership leads to multiple groups doing the same thing, without knowing the other is working on it. Worse--sometimes leadership intentionally has 2 groups work on the same thing to see which one will "win."

Advice to Management

Figure out what the heck Rackspace wants to DO then stick with it for more than 1 quarter. Understand that trying be all the things to all of the people is NOT a strategy. Seriously consider reducing the workforce to cut all of people not adding to the bottom line and outsourcing to agencies who understand how technology companies work.

Windows Administrator

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While RAX has lost some of its luster, it's still a decent place to work: - Fueling Stations - Gym - Team Outings - Most managers are flexible and respect work-life balance - Tons of opportunity for career growth. Are some of the perks that still make this place a great place to work. Another one of the great thing is the amount of insanely intelligent people working there. While I first had my reservations about Taylor Rhodes, it turns out he is a pretty down to earth guy. He will always greet you in the halls and take some time to chat with you if possible.

Cons

- Pay isn't competitive - If you leave to go to the competition, be ready to get kicked out. Regardless if you have been there 5 years or not. No exit interview, no COBRA insurance offer either. - Don't ever get an employee Cloud Account. If you make the mistake of leaving $1000 instance on, they will not hesitate to charge you for it.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. There are plenty of competitively paid jobs that are springing up in the area and you are losing lots of valuable Rackers to them.

RSS Feed </> Embed