Rackspace Reviews

466 reviews filtered by

Great place to work

Current Employee - Inventory Team Lead in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Inventory Team Lead in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company definitely works for it's people. The other Rackers are always a pleasure to work with as well. Everyone has a great commitment to the company, and to the customer.

Cons

Nothing significant enough to outline in this review. I enjoy working where I work very much.

Beware of red tape. Front liners work hard to cut through it, don't hold us back because you can't.

It's confirmed: No longer one of the best places to work

Current Employee - Business Operations
    Current Employee - Business Operations

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many front-line Rackers still embrace the qualities that made Rackspace great -- going above and beyond, humility, respect for others, and willingness to do the needful to take care of our customers.

Cons

Rackspace has a tenured history of being recognized by Fortune's Best Company's to work for list. This year it fell off the list completely from 29th last year. For four consecutive years, Rackspace has been recognized. That history of being recognized as a great place to work is over. For reference, Rackspace has continued to climb that list over the last four years.

2014 - 29th
    2013 - 34th
    2012 - 74th
    2011 - 92nd
    2010 - not listed

The amount of irreparable damage that has been inflicted, the number of highly skilled techs that have been allowed to leave, and the destruction of any semblance of a competitive strategy has been driven to the ground by a leader who can only talk about "record setting deals" or shiny objects like DevOps (which no one uses) or ObjectRocket (which he doesn't understand, is immaterial and highly unprofitable). This company has become so lost that it has had to resort to calling itself "#1, but by what measure is unclear.

Services like DevOps don't make sense to the industry and if we had a real product leader in place, that would be understood. DevOps is a buzzword, pure and simple. It's certainly not something to be sold.

Former leadership emphasized concepts like "policy purging" to get rid of ineffective and unnecessary complexity - the new guard rolls out new policies that do not add value and without explanation.

The leadership here uses "new deals" as their sole measuring stick for how well the company is doing while there are only slightly more dollars coming in every month than are leaving due to churn. Customers are recognizing every day just how uncompetitive Rackspace is in the industry and at this point, the chance of differentiating and creating a create product and service is getting more and more challenging.

The CEO's strategy is to be solely a sales and support company - there no longer is a product direction. The mantra is now to sell and support everything. Thats just not a *viable* strategy.

As the market realizes that we are overvalued and as revenue growth continues to fall, the chickens will come home to roost. The stock is overvalued for a company reselling software and support services and because of the do everything approach, there is no chance of being able to do those things well.

IF you are considering moving to San Antonio because of the Rackspace of years past, don't. Once you get here, there is nothing but small companies and banks in San Antonio. Moving your family so you can join Rackspace will be a major mistake for your family - there is no where else most people would want to go leaving you in a position to have to tolerate a bill of goods you weren't sold will be a major hassle.

This company has a history of being recognized for the culture, commitment to greatness, and leadership it once had. That is no longer the company I work for.

Instead of throwing individual contributors under the bus to try to raise profit margins, we should get rid of a few of the SVPs/VPs who are responsible for the poor decision making that caused shadow layoffs to occur. Despite what the CEO says, the social contract has been repeatedly broken time and time again. There is no longer any trust between front-line Rackers and leadership.

It's time for the current CEO and most of the SVPs within the company to "retire". Bring a leader from the outside to run the company who is technical, understands the product/technology, and could at least login to a server.

Low pay, which Culture can never make up for....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

- company culture
    - great technical folks
    - some training

Cons

- low pay
    - no upward mobility
    - middle management that doesn't have a clue
    - empty promises

Learn about servant leadership, and start Enabling and Empowering the folks that work for you!

Things are changing

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It seems that the company is trying to find itself, which is better than what they have been doing in the past.

Cons

-no competitive pay for the work you are expected to due
    -middle management has no idea how to manage people
    -senior people leaving, but getting mediocre people in return

-cut dead weight (managers/techs)
    -redo your interview process. too many people get booted because 1 person did not like them. you are losing some great candidates from this methodology of hiring.

6. So far so good with some bumps in the road.

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere, Competitive, CORE values

Cons

Constant growing pains, Constant change

7. Love it!

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about working at Rackspace is working with smart, driven and intelligent people!

Cons

It can be difficult to disconnect from work.

We need focus more on preparing new leaders when they are promoted into management.

I would not recommend this company to a friend

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A few senior rackers who actually know how the product works and how to improve it, there are still great resources left in this company, learn from them while they are still around.

Cons

Horrible management, top to bottom. It is not uncommon to find managers who ignore how our core products work at a high level and have no association between stakeholders and developers. How are you supposed to have a vision when you do not know our products and offerings? How are you supposed to manage a project if you do not know the end goal? How are you supposed to manage a team if you do not know the skills and challenges necessary to develop or improve such products? You can't, so in return you have a group of unqualified people trying to stay in their position through opportunism and political trash while the team pays for years of technical debt with no room for actual improvement.

There is a career path and necessary skills outlined in order to being promoted, the problem is that it is not actually honored. Again, it is not uncommon to find rackers performing at a greater level than what they are currently set, but at review time managers don't "feel" that you are qualified for a promotion, even though by all established metrics you actually are. I can only wish this rigorous system was also applied to management and project planning. My only advice here is to watch for organizations with 95+ percent of L1 and L2 developers, that means they either are not being honest in their career path offerings or they legitimately have no senior technical members to guide through their current projects, either way it is a disaster.

It seems to be the rackspace way to try to remedy all of the above is through re-organizations. Surely, if we stir the pot enough maybe our product, offering and projects will improve. Surprisingly it doesn't and that is how you end up having years of technical debt, re-organize and repeat.

Finally, there is not enough transparency when it comes to bonus adjustment and it certainly seems like an accounting black box in terms of the actual factors involved in determine it. You will hear the word "adjustment" without further explanation. Compensation of course is not competitive as others have mentioned.

Be more rigorous in your management hiring process. The training provided to managers is insufficient, it is the equivalent to send someone without development background to a 2 hour programming class and expect him to write a complete project afterwards. Because of recurrent re-organizations you have no qualified senior leadership and this shows in every manager under them. Look into organizations with a high churn rate, standardize your internal processes.

The death of once a great company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some great front line workers who do care about their customers. Free soda, food trucks, etc.

Cons

Once a core value, transparency, it is an insult now. This company does not disclose to the floor staff what is going on. No direction and now layoffs are happening in 2 of our biggest departments. There is only so much we can do to save money before this company starts losing money big time or doing mass layoffs. The VP's and above don't care since they have golden parachutes. It's the average tech worker I am concerned about since we are just pawns in this giant game. Time to look for a better job...

Be transparent for once.

No what I had hoped.

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Graham Weston and Lanham Napier (the CEO when I was there) blew me away when they spoke at our orientation. They had a vision and Graham Weston, rightly so, was a huge advocate of Strengths Finder. We all had our top five strengths on cards in front of us for everyone to see at orientation and everyone had them on there desks. I thought, "This is a place that values its people." Continued in the cons ....

Cons

Well, ends up the vision from the top did not make it down to the rats on the floor. No one ever looked at my strengths and the disfunction between groups was huge. They said they practiced Agile but that only meant they had a 15 minute stand-up everyday and then blame was assigned to protect the guilty. I took a $10,000 a year pay cut because I liked the vision Rackspace projected for itself. I left in six months when I realized it was a facade. One thing that struck me as interesting is their mantra "fanatical support." I think they really do have that and they built a huge support team and trained them to be fanatical. But, it seems to me that if you need to focus so much on support you have a bigger problem ... your product.

1) Truly buy into Strengths Finder. Don't just have it be a card on the desk that no one looks at. It is powerful.
    2) Focus more on building a great product that doesn't need fanatical support.
    3) Truly buy into Agile and get teams working together.

Slightly above average, but getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This part really depends on your age and your previous work experience. The atmosphere here is pretty laid back. The offices are geared towards openness and fun, meaning there are no 'offices', only cubicles, mostly with low walls between so you can see over them. Fun in that there are things like funky themed meeting rooms, slides from one floor to the other, video game machines, etc., to keep the employees entertained.

As far as benefits, Rackspace has very nice ones. They've finally got a very good, competitive health care provider with a nice array of options. There's an ESSP and stock options program. And I find that the PTO program is very competitive. I've been here almost 8 years and I get 6 1/2 weeks off a year.

Cons

The thing I most dislike about Rackspace is the management structure. I've personally seen over 20 people promoted to management that should never in anyone's wildest dreams be managing anything, much less people. You can get promoted here based on who you know more than what you can do or what your experience is. That drives me crazy. Also, too many people are still hanging on to the 'startup' mentality, even though there are now over 6000 employees here working in mutliple countries. The days of just winging it should be long over. Unfortunately, too many people, a lot of them the exact managers I'm complaining about, just do things based on whatever sounds good to them. If you're looking for things like agile, look elsewhere. Project management here is a joke.