Rackspace Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
467 reviews filtered by

Do to waste your time, especially if your a veteran.

Current Employee - Long Time Racker in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Long Time Racker in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for longer than a decade. In 2003, we were the company to beat. Great young leaders that got the actual mission and core values. The best part of Rackspace back then was the sky was the limit.

Cons

Rackspace has unfortunately become a twisted joke of what it once was. 'Fanatical Support' is long dead, apathy runs rampant, and front line rackers are always covering their backsides and the business is full of sycophantic ladder climbers and really good liars and back stabbers. You will not be paid what your worth unless you are a new VP, we don't need. Then you'll get a handsome stock plan and awesome salary. The worst part is the 'show.' By this I mean Rackspace does a lot of good in the community. Unfortunately Rackspace HR works like the Gestapo of nazi germany. They threaten and intimidate. They treat veterans coming home and trying to work in civilian life like worthless employees to be threatened should PTSD bother that "Racker." Rackspace will spend money if they get to show you how much they support the troops. If any of their employees actually need help, there is no money!

Take the company private again, remember our original Core values. And stop promoting incompetence! Also, clean out your illieagal and awful senior HR team.

Started out great, four years later, AWFUL!!!

Current Employee - DCOPS Technician Level II in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - DCOPS Technician Level II in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Four years ago it was awesome, still had that startup feel and benefits. Somewhere along the line Rackspace went corporate, and downhill fast. The fanatical support that they so proudly advertise, no such thing, all it is is just trying to see who can make the boss the happiest while making everyone else pissed off.

Cons

It sucks. If you like backstabbing, brown-nosing, and favoritism, this is the place for you, it is the company motto. If you are disabled, don't even bother, everyone I worked with who was disabled, ended up out of a job. Worst place I have ever worked!

Bring back the startup mentality, because the company is going to end up in the gutter.

Poor Management

Current Contractor - ServiceNow Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Contractor - ServiceNow Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere among the workers seems positive at first. After awhile, you start to see the overwhelming pressure they are under and the long hours they're working. I came in as a contractor (to hire). I expected I would have to work very hard to prove myself, but was shocked when I saw what the FTE employee's had to do just to stay employed. I enjoyed the few chances I got to play foosball, and go down the slide or play street fighter on the arcade machine. Also the food trucks and events like "Racktoberfest" were pretty neat. Halloween was great, costume contests, you can see the brilliant creativity come out from the very intelligent and talented staff.

Cons

I was a developer on the * Team. The first week I was there my manager sat me down and told me that she was in the process of firing the senior developer on our team and that I needed to step up to meet his duties. I informed her that I would need at least a month to get up to speed and be able to take on some of his roles. 2 weeks went by, and I was sat down again, this time with the manager and one of the FTE employees on the team where the manager threatened to fire us both if we didn't start displaying SME like behavior. It was at that point I began looking for another job. After the first month, a girl from another team transferred to ours. After two weeks of working for our manager, she ended up going right back to her previous job. She was unable to voice any of her concerns because it's well known that if you cross the * manager, you'll quickly find yourself filling out unemployment paperwork. I was expected to work at least 10 hours a day, and when I did I was only supposed to bill 8 hours (as I was a contractor). Another contractor pulled me aside one day after the manager had threatened to fire someone else on our team right in front of everyone and told me that that was just what the manager does to keep you motivated. She knows that will make you work harder, and get more done. After two months of my time spent there, I got a job offer with less pay and was more than happy to take it. I feel so sorry for the staff that report to that manager, and I'm hoping that this review will help prevent anyone from making the mistake of moving their family across the country only to end up working for one of the worst people I've ever met in my entire professional career.

My hope is that human resources will see the amount of turn over in the * team and realize the issue is not the staff, it is the management style of the manager. She clearly suffers from a bi-polar disorder and uses fear and negative reinforcement as her way of managing the team. They are under incredible amounts of stress to keep their job, and make sure she is happy. They laugh at her jokes the same way people laugh in SNL skits about Kim Jung Un. Her threats and her bully tactics will always work because San Antonio doesn't have much else to offer as far as technology jobs go. I was fortunate and was easily able to move away due to some very lucrative investments I had made. I fear the worst for that team, and truly hope that manager either gets promoted away from it, or terminated and replaced with someone who understands cloud technology and the best practices around developing it. That manager has no idea how any of that works, and would be the first to tell you that. Then turn right around and threaten to fire you because you aren't doing it fast enough. The more turn-over you experience as a result of this manager, the quicker Rackspace will go on the list of places tech grads will avoid. The internet moves very fast, you need to do your best to keep up, and you certainly are not in this situation.

Good luck.

Rackspace core values only on banners

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people to work with

Cons

Dictatorial Management. Sweat shop. No recognition of hard work

Please practice core values and listen to the ground level employees. Go back 5 yrs in terms of practicing core values and genuinely caring for employees and not just power

The culture is gone

Former Employee - Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace tries to implement the "old" culture by bringing in slides and things that they believe will make it look like it's a fun environment, when in reality it isn't. They do have a coffee shop that is really good though...

Cons

Management no longer cares about their employees, and is actively trying to slim down the workforce through attrition, which was told to me by HR. They no longer care about keeping good talent but would rather have them leave and bring in people they can pay less for. If you're looking to change position, you should look outside the company as the entire company is on a hiring freeze as was also told to me by HR. You are no longer rewarded for bringing up ideas or having a voice, now you are yelled at or berated by your manager, and when you speak up HR takes the side of management even though you have a recording of your manager yelling at you. I actually had to start recording my one on one's to have proof that the harassment was happening, and still HR didn't care.

Actually care about your employees and their concerns, don't just dismiss them. Don't yell or berate them, especially in front of other employees which my manager did several times, and not even to myself. Also, they need to read up on rules and regulations about hiring. Just because a woman can get pregnant or wants to have a baby is NOT a good reason to dismiss her application for hiring onto the team.

I hope Graham can turn things around and fix a lot of these issues as I have faith in him, he's a good person.

A Hit it and Quit it kind of place

Former Employee - Web Scale Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Web Scale Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Put your blinders on, drink some red koolaid and sit down in a large, open air mall and get to work where you can't hear yourself think. When they have their big events in the main part of the mall, 15 feet from your desk you will want for a more productive environment. First year folks often think its the greatest place in the world and honestly for the first year it kinda is.

I have a lot of good memories but you have to brain wash yourself and play the game. This is a hit it and quit it kind of place that does not lend itself to any sort of maturity or long term professional growth. They can launch or relaunch most anyone's career in technology, get you certified and help you build a few skills but the divisive personal agendas are pretty bad and in the end that is what will kill your future here.

You can make a lot of huge professional mistakes here and get away with it as long as you are not on one of the after hours teams. There are a lot of people in the trenches that are truly smart but hamstrung.

Cons

The "Core Values" by which the company operates are on the walls of the basement but are not practices and often used as scape goats for bad decisions resulting in tremendous amounts of rework.

Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments. They have a glorious reputation of promoting people well beyond their capabilities and those that can actually lead are forsaken to give way to pretty people that have no business being in business.

HR seems to support and endorse bad managers and team leads over the people actually doing the work. They cycle in Sr. Managers that continue to repeat the same mistakes over and over again and cause more rework for the company than anywhere else I've ever been in my 18 years of technology. Honestly, I can't see how they are still in business.

Most of the managers, Sr. Managers and VPs are notorious for stabbing their own people in the back. They are quick to insult you in front of your entire team and take your dignity then fire you to make a point and set a standard of fear based management. If you speak out against the direction of your management chain or call their actions into question you will eventually be forced out. They don't often fire people, they just turn you into a complete failure.

Its like a bad sorority. After being deliberately walked on and thwarted more than 3 times to get to another part of the business where I could be successful I gave up and had to move on.

San Antonio is also one of the worst cities in the world to live in. The cost of living is freakishly low for a reason and there are only a few places in the entire city worth working for in tech so if you work for Rackspace, when you are done with them you will likely have to relocate out of the area to find another decent job at a fair market wage. On average the pay is $20k-$30k less than anywhere else in the state much less the country.

Rackspace's relocation assistance and sign-on process is also second class by comparison to most other opportunities in high tech.

Built on lies, for a company that is supposed to be progressive and performance based they seem to honor tenure over skill and constantly promote people to the point of failure.

I am grateful for my time there but I would not ever work here again. Never again and would highly advise anyone considering it to think twice before seriously considering it.

Learn how to run your own business. Stop chasing your competition and actually improve your own science to be competitive. If you truly care about the business, turn your attention to the actual performance of your department heads and follow their results not their words. The metrics don't lie and turning the business on its head every 6 months is costing you. You need challengers in SLT not just visionaries. You are doing it wrong.

One Word: Chaos

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- People are generally kind towards each other.
    - Great learning environment if you are just starting your career as a tech.

Cons

I worked at Rackspace (in multiple departments) and finally moved on. I do have really good memories with my colleagues. San Antonio is a great city in my opinion if Rackspace offered fair compensation. I would probably work for Rackspace again if leadership changed (middle to upper management levels), and if they had better compensation & benefits. If you are just starting your career, Rackspace is a great place to learn a lot of stuff in a short period of time. If you have already have an established career, think twice!

- Politics is off the roof. You have to know someone (be friends with) in SLT to get recognized.
    - Lack of middle management. Managers have no clue what the strategy is nor they seem to care.
    - Lack of management evaluation. I do not believe SLT knows how middle managers are performing. There is a quarterly survey, but no actions at all.
    - Leadership does not have a clear strategy. I do not believe they are capable of running a large corporation (check stock price history). Additionally, based on recent equity exercises, I think they might not even care.
    - Lack of start-up vibe. This place is a corporation and being run like one.
    - Very low benefits compared to industry. No free meal program. Health benefits are fair to good. Parking sucks. Even good coffee is for a fee at this place. Free coffee is available but tastes like dirt.
    - Unbelievable low compensation compared to industry. If you are moving to San Antonio from a different city, you will suffer. I did and I was suffering.
    - Inexperienced management. Too many wrong top-down decisions. Bottom-up input is almost impossible.
    - Constant expectation of delivering more with less people.
    - High Racker turnover. I have seen multiple Rackers in my team left the company or moved to another department. This makes things incredibly inefficient.
    - There is a big trust issue between Rackers. Cross departments do not trust each other therefore each department wants to control everything which makes things really inefficient. This might be the reason why Rackspace is always behind on Amazon and other market leaders when it comes to releasing cool stuff.
    - Core Values are nice, but no one seems to care.
    - Strategy and decisions seem to be set based on what Wall Street wants.

Wake up! You are loosing your best talent and you will keep loosing more. You are too focused on hiring inexperienced people and ignoring your experienced talent. Pay up! You are not offering Google like benefits but your compensation is leveled like you do. There is noting cool about this place for smart people out there. No benefits and no pay. At least fix one of these. I really cared about this company and I really tried to voice my opinion and I was shut down every single time. Especially you guys who are at the top, you should take head out of the sand and listen Rackers. It seems like you are completely unaware of the issues that are hurting this company. Middle managers, whose job to promote bottom-up ideas and innovation by the way, are not doing their job. You (SLT) should see this and take proper action. Stop promoting people because you go drink beer together. It destroys trust and morale completely.

Additionally, there are many Rackers who does not care about this company a bit. They are there just for a paycheck. They object to every single change/innovation as well. Common theme is "We always do it this way". Well keep going, I wonder how long you will be in business. You cannot be successful with those kind of people. Do the right thing and fire them.

Don't get me wrong. There are many Rackers who want to do the right thing, but they get so frustrated with the issues and they either give up and stop caring, or they simply quit. I have seen this happen multiple times.

Finally, to the board of directors, if SLT cannot do the right thing for this company, find someone who can. Otherwise it will be too late.

Horrible recruiters

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I actually have a lot of good things to say about Rackspace. It's a great place to work. I love everything about it.

Cons

The recruiters are horrible, they are turning good talent away.

I have two friends who because there was one little thing that someone didn't like about them, the recruiters refused to ever talk to them again. Your recruiters are turning away great talent. The first friend, as far as we could tell the team loved, but it turned out that Rackspace had a bad quarter and was going to be hiring. Ok fine, shouldn't he get a chance again later down the road? However, he can't get a recruiter to talk to him. It's pretty sad to see.

terrible

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

free soda, get to wear jeans every day

Cons

good old boy mentality, low pay, mediocre benefits, micromanagement, company changing direction too often, unnecessary stress, threats from management, favoritism

Office politics trumps performance - worst example of office politics in my career.

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people - super intelligent folks. Hard workers. There are some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure to work with - unfortunately, their work is sullied by the politics - see below. There are folks I've met there whom I trust implicitly.

Cons

TL/DR - it's like high school all over again.

Some mistakes re: poor hiring into leadership positions made in the early years are being institutionalized. This is the modern equivalent of a "good ol' boys club". Office politics run rampant - internal (personal) marketing campaigns mean more than actual business results.

There is a lack of critical thinking or analysis applied to many issues. Sufficient application of enthusiasm and BS is enough to get past the most cursory of examinations. If you have no integrity or no qualms about blatantly placing self-interest above all else, this is an environment in which you can thrive. If you do have integrity or choose to place the interests of the company or others above your own, you will be beaten at every turn by those with questionable ethics.

I've seen several people deliver business results while tending to the relationships on their team - I've been close enough to see both the metrics and the relationships involved in the situation - and yet get passed over for promotions, or even forced out of the company due to petty office politics.

Get back in touch with the CORE values. Get back involved in the business. Get involved in the culture. The overriding emotion is FEAR due to a lack of trust in many in leadership. Those poor choices in leadership positions are gutting the confidence in the entirety of the business.