Rackspace Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
480 reviews filtered by

The death of once a great company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some great front line workers who do care about their customers. Free soda, food trucks, etc.

Cons

Once a core value, transparency, it is an insult now. This company does not disclose to the floor staff what is going on. No direction and now layoffs are happening in 2 of our biggest departments. There is only so much we can do to save money before this company starts losing money big time or doing mass layoffs. The VP's and above don't care since they have golden parachutes. It's the average tech worker I am concerned about since we are just pawns in this giant game. Time to look for a better job...

Advice to Management

Be transparent for once.

I would not recommend this company to a friend

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A few senior rackers who actually know how the product works and how to improve it, there are still great resources left in this company, learn from them while they are still around.

Cons

Horrible management, top to bottom. It is not uncommon to find managers who ignore how our core products work at a high level and have no association between stakeholders and developers. How are you supposed to have a vision when you do not know our products and offerings? How are you supposed to manage a project if you do not know the end goal? How are you supposed to manage a team if you do not know the skills and challenges necessary to develop or improve such products? You can't, so in return you have a group of unqualified people trying to stay in their position through opportunism and political trash while the team pays for years of technical debt with no room for actual improvement.

There is a career path and necessary skills outlined in order to being promoted, the problem is that it is not actually honored. Again, it is not uncommon to find rackers performing at a greater level than what they are currently set, but at review time managers don't "feel" that you are qualified for a promotion, even though by all established metrics you actually are. I can only wish this rigorous system was also applied to management and project planning. My only advice here is to watch for organizations with 95+ percent of L1 and L2 developers, that means they either are not being honest in their career path offerings or they legitimately have no senior technical members to guide through their current projects, either way it is a disaster.

It seems to be the rackspace way to try to remedy all of the above is through re-organizations. Surely, if we stir the pot enough maybe our product, offering and projects will improve. Surprisingly it doesn't and that is how you end up having years of technical debt, re-organize and repeat.

Finally, there is not enough transparency when it comes to bonus adjustment and it certainly seems like an accounting black box in terms of the actual factors involved in determine it. You will hear the word "adjustment" without further explanation. Compensation of course is not competitive as others have mentioned.

Advice to Management

Be more rigorous in your management hiring process. The training provided to managers is insufficient, it is the equivalent to send someone without development background to a 2 hour programming class and expect him to write a complete project afterwards. Because of recurrent re-organizations you have no qualified senior leadership and this shows in every manager under them. Look into organizations with a high churn rate, standardize your internal processes.

Great stepping stone but it's going downhill.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, work-life balance can be good depending on your role. If you don't have experience in IT, you can get a paid education here.

Cons

SLT isn't qualified for the positions they are in. You have VP's and Director's who don't even know the product. Our support has gone downhill. Hard to trust some people because politics are very important here and everyone here will throw you under the bus in order to save themselves. Departments don't work well together because everyone is out to make themselves look good. I have seen them promote people to middle management just because they were terrible at their current job but they were friends with the right people. Also, the culture is non existent. Transparency is an absolute farce. It's a shame. Shareholders rule this company now.

Advice to Management

Take a long look at your longtime Rackers in Senior Management. From Senior Managers on up. Some of them are great but many of them wouldn't get a job at Burger King.

No what I had hoped.

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Graham Weston and Lanham Napier (the CEO when I was there) blew me away when they spoke at our orientation. They had a vision and Graham Weston, rightly so, was a huge advocate of Strengths Finder. We all had our top five strengths on cards in front of us for everyone to see at orientation and everyone had them on there desks. I thought, "This is a place that values its people." Continued in the cons ....

Cons

Well, ends up the vision from the top did not make it down to the rats on the floor. No one ever looked at my strengths and the disfunction between groups was huge. They said they practiced Agile but that only meant they had a 15 minute stand-up everyday and then blame was assigned to protect the guilty. I took a $10,000 a year pay cut because I liked the vision Rackspace projected for itself. I left in six months when I realized it was a facade. One thing that struck me as interesting is their mantra "fanatical support." I think they really do have that and they built a huge support team and trained them to be fanatical. But, it seems to me that if you need to focus so much on support you have a bigger problem ... your product.

Advice to Management

1) Truly buy into Strengths Finder. Don't just have it be a card on the desk that no one looks at. It is powerful.
    2) Focus more on building a great product that doesn't need fanatical support.
    3) Truly buy into Agile and get teams working together.

Good company, great training.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rackspace is a great company in which to get your feet wet with tech. You have the opportunity to learn from some of the smartest people, and take classes that can really push you to the next level. The range of technologies you come into contact with on a daily basis is vast.

Cons

Benefits are meh and, being a public company, you feel like the benefits and work-life balance are dictated by the market.

7. Best place I've worked at

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Great culture, good people all round, relaxing environement but work hard, would recommend for anyone

Cons

If not on support floor hard to get noticed

8. SDT intern

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Opportunity to learn more. Very good working environment.

Cons

Some teams are too busy. Difficult to get hold of mentors to seek guidance.

Was sold on the hype, worst decision I made

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free soda, relaxed dress code, nice people, new problems everyday to troubleshoot

Cons

I was sold that this is a great place for your next journey in IT. I come here and find out it is great if you like to play politics. I left a good job and got screwed. I have found nothing but horrible, inexperienced managers. The training is very generic and there is only so much openstack hype they have to run on. Reorg's every quarter and shrinking employee perks. Benefits stink and raises are do not happen. San Antonio is not the best tech hub and wish I would of hit Austin before relocating down here. Potential new hires, please make sure you do your homework on this company. It is not what it use to be and is changing very rapidly for the worse. A lot of techs are looking for other jobs, so expect another mass exodus.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to say because SLT does not listen to IC's.

10. Best company and the ultimate in servant leadership.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, lots of development opportunity. Well position for the future.

Cons

Prior strategic missteps have made the road more difficult.

Death of a once great company

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Front line rackers (support, engineers, developers) are generally great people to work with. Many are burning the candle at both ends hoping for the company to correct itself.

Cons

- Layoffs: As the company continues to hire, layoffs have been occurring with very little transparency leading to rampant speculation.

- Death of Core Values: The core values at Rackspace are officially dead. We ought to simply paint over them and recognize they are no longer a guidepost for how we operate the business.

- Difficulty Leaving San Antonio: If you move to San Antonio, realize that it will be very difficult to leave. In some ways, management uses this to their advantage. If Rackspace were located in a high-tech city, the inept leadership at this company would not be allowed to behave in the way they currently are, they would all be fired as a mass exodus and the resulting reputation hit would be immediately evident. In San Antonio, it will take

- CEO: The new CEO and the changes that have been implemented have been disappointing. He is out of touch with customers, Rackers. The best thing for him to happen is to "retire from Rackspace". At Rackspace, retirement has a different meaning if you are a senior executive.

Advice to Management

The SLT and most VPs are in positions that they are extremely under qualified for. One of the few things SLT is world class at is the art of re-organization. Surely if you shuffle the deck often enough, greatness might eme