Rackspace Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Cyber Security Analyst

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

The culture is great HR is very helpful Education benefits are good Work is nice and steady

Cons

Shift work (I knew this going in)

Advice to Management

n/a

2. Messy but pleasant

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

There is plenty of diverse work to take part in if you're interested. The company treats employees well.

Cons

Teams work in silos, project and process documentation is lacking, cross team projects are difficult. Some project and personnel managers seem in over their heads.

Advice to Management

Write things down. It's a mature company, but sometimes it behaves like a startup.

Not great

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Core Values are very strong...

Cons

Lack of growth within the company

A disappointing decline

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many talented, hard-working people at Rackspace and you may get to work with them. Some of the tech they work on is new and interesting, and working for Rackspace is (currently) seen as good experience on a resume. Depending on your team, you may be able to maintain a relatively sane work-life balance.

Cons

Rackspace has never been known for competitive pay and their raises leave much to be desired. The culture that people came and stayed for is now gone, thanks to the new CEO. Many benefits have been cut or removed (including stipends for teams to have events, spending on conferences and learning opportunities, and sabbaticals). There was also a rash of layoffs at the start of 2015 without any transparency as to why we were laying off hundreds of people, except that it was not related to job performance. Although I was lucky enough to have an exceptional manager, many do not - and middle management is as bloated as always with people who were not given a technical career track option and have no aptitude for management. Expectations of managers have continued to be poorly defined (should I be a people manager, a technical manager, or an individual contributor?) and there are very few who can accomplish all three objectives well. Politics are absolutely rampant now - promotion decisions are made in bars and hallway discussions and do a disservice to the company by continuing to promote people who are better at canoodling than running an effective organization. Work-life balance depends entirely on your team and manager. There are a lot of incompetent and/or lazy people who have made their way into the company during previous growth phases and Rackspace does a poor job of asking those people to leave. "A" players are often forced to work the extra hours to make up for their lackluster team mates in the spirit of "fanaticism". Truly fanatical Rackers have burned out and left.

Advice to Management

Bring back the core values and culture, or pay your employees well enough that they stop caring. Get rid of middle managers who are clearly not meant for management, or give them individual contributor opportunities where they can successful.

Great front-line Rackers

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Great people doing the work. Great market to be in.

Cons

Politics, very little leadership accountability. Poorly performer leaders just move to new roles.

Advice to Management

Hold yourselves accountable and get rid of the politics as CYA behaviors.

Good place to work but losing grip on values/culture.

Current Employee - Network Security Administrator III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Network Security Administrator III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to learn and grow with plenty of opportunities to do so. Nothing will hold you back but yourself. Training classes are offered quite often. Industry certificates are reimbursed upon completion. I guess soda on tap is a pro..?

Cons

There is no real sense of direction. It feels as though every six months a new strategy is put in to place then no follow through. Rinse, repeat. Telling your employee base to embrace change is a very poor way to disguise your lack of leadership and vision. Senior management doesn't seem to grasp that front line customer support is continuously understaffed. It always feels as though the blame is placed upon the support teams themselves rather than a staffing issue. No amount of eloquently worded 'be engaged and work harder, guys!' emails will change the fact that constant under staffing kills morale. Front line support feels like working for a different company than the rest of the positions and departments. There is not enough staffing for the majority of front line support to attend the 'fun' events. The phone calls and ticket queue is a ball and chain if you happen to be a support role. 401k matching is laughable. Quarterly bonus payouts favor management, double percentage payout vs. customer facing roles. Compensation is low compared to industry average for technical support roles.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your front line support employees when it is voiced that under staffing is an issue. Stop waiting until ticket queues and response times go through the roof.

8. Developer Advocate

Current Employee - OpenStack .NET Developer Advocate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - OpenStack .NET Developer Advocate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits, the pay, the people, the product, the culture ... everything is just fantastic. I've worked at a lot of places over my 35+ years in the industry, so I know what most company's are like, and believe me; Rackspace is a top notch company.

Cons

As a remote worker, you sometimes feel left out of events at headquarters. Our team does a great job of mitigating that, but others in the company need some help with this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

It's been great but after 8 years it might be time for a change.

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace has been a great company to work for in the last 8 years and counting. It has been an amazing learning experience for me and I appreciate all the tools I have added to my toolkit during the years. I really like the work/life balance that the company provides- and also the many perks such as paid time off, 401K and benefits.

Cons

My concerns are around strategy and accountability- I need to know what my goals are and sometimes these change quite often based on thin air. Sales quotas are set on a monthly basis so it is difficult to be strategic at times because you go from month to month and never have the chance to take vacation time unless you hit your quotas early enough during the month--or you can, but you're not going to be @ goal if you are not on the floor selling day after day. Processes and tools are lacking in some fronts causing effectiveness to suffer.

Advice to Management

I know your jobs are tough, my uttermost respect to you but we need direction... and good leaders that are accountable and follow through.

10. Software developer II

Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Flexibility, good talent, nice work areas, good benefits, gym.

Cons

Lack of direction from leadership at times.

Cloud WebHosting Done Right

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best work/life balance of any company I've ever worked for. Amazing culture and benefits are just some of the reasons to become a Racker.

Cons

The cloud business and especially web hosting can be a fickle beast. Cost cutting by others in the industry makes it difficult

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you grew up doing the best, and that is fanatical support. Couple that with the cloud and really keep it up. Live it, don't just give it lip service.

RSS Feed </> Embed