Rackspace

Updated December 19, 2014
3.6

Taylor Rhodes
1 Rating

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

278 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very casual environment where people foster collaboration. It's easy to make friends, and there are lots of opportunities to volunteer in the community. They also have a Recreational Center which is free to employees, with spinning, aerobic and crossfit classes. Vendors are on site serving food each day, so makes it easy for employees at lunch time.

Cons

The time off and medical benefits are decent and competitive with the market. Work life balance is encouraged, but not always followed well because the overwhelming amount of work which needs to be accomplished, and at the pace leadership wants. My usual work week is 50 hours. There is also CONSTANT change - reorganizations, reprioritizing of goals, etc. Change fatigue is high, and if you are not a flexible person, this is not the place for you.

Invest in the tools employees need to do their jobs well (such as stable development, testing and preprod environments), as well as allow time for employees to develop products and programs right, and with quality. It also helps to avoid burnout of employees.

I love this place

Current Employee - Recruiting in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiting in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation time is incredible.
    Comp is good
    Leadership is great
    Its an innovative company

Cons

Things move fast and you have to be able to adapt to change well or you won't survive. I see people flame out regularly because they need a slower pace.

Good, could be better

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, dress like you would like, laid back, you learn a lot!

Cons

Micro management, products are not compatible with the market.
    Pay is low.

Fire the bad managers who don't know what they are doing and get more developers to build more products.

What culture?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Health benefits are good
    -Smart, dedicated coworkers

Cons

-Pay is below market; management is aware and ok with this.
    -Upward mobility extremely limited.
    -Highly stressful call center environment
    -Extremely poor staffing leads to work overload and unrealistic expectations of employees
    -Low and Mid level management effectively shifts blame onto support floor staff regarding issues, staffing.
    -Limited ability to use earned time off due to aforementioned staffing

-Find and remove problem-causing low and mid level management. As long as these guys are in positions of power you will continue to have dissatisfied employees.
    -Bring back culture and work/life balance
    -Properly staff your teams so that workload is reasonable
    -Pay market salaries
    -Bring back Core Values. Remember when Transparency was a thing?

Best place I've ever worked, but is slowly turning into just another corporate husk.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rackspace is by far the best company I've ever worked for and has literally changed my life for the better, both physically in improved health and well-being, but also emotionally because it provided me an environment where I felt like I belonged. It's truly the first job I've had where I've been able to experience the positive impact I'm making on others in a real way while also at the same time getting to touch technology that's so new it won't even necessarily "hit shelves" until over a year later.

You will meet many smart, talented, passionate people at this company and they will help take you on a mental journey you never thought was possible. Many of them will end up being your new best friends. When you mix together the energy and talent with the technology resources available you end up being involved in some amazing projects that really put you on the bleeding edge of what's possible. You'll always be learning something new and being exposed to new ideas. Put this all together with a culture that embodies responsibility, honesty, transparency, and getting the job done and you end up in extremely effective teams that thrive on honest feedback and doing the best they can do.

Cons

I would say the two biggest downsides of Rackspace are:

1) The upsides are shrinking. As the company has grown the beautiful and unique culture that makes Rackspace so great has diminished considerably. This is largely due to poor hiring choices in leadership which has been extremely impactful in a negative way on the company even after some of these poor choices are dealt with my letting those leaders go.

In some particular groups leaders that were fired over 3 years ago still have a lasting negative impact on how things are done because new leaders brought into to replace them did not effectively identify the things which their predecessor did wrong and fix all of them. In many ways this is a failure of middle management that's caused because of the tendency for new leaders to bring in a cadre of cronies that follow them from whatever corporate husk they left, and if the leader gets fired, the cronies stay making it that much more difficult for a new leader to effectively resolve the things that didn't work.

2) The general level of compensation is well below market rate for a technology firm. It's pretty much always been this way, but most Rackers were okay with this in return for getting to be involved in such a wonderful culture and company and getting relatively unrestricted access to company resources to engage their minds on whatever it was at the moment they wanted to learn about. As the company has grown though the culture has dwindled and with it more restrictive policies have been created which prevent employees from being fully mentally engaged in the curiosities that drive them. It's led to a situation where many of the bright talented people I interact with come to work every day not sure exactly what they should even be doing because they don't solve problems by mandate, they solve problems by discovery.

A company where it was once acceptable to have beer during meetings as long as you weren't drunk at you desk and where every employee had significant access to technology resources to try new things just to see if they'll work is what lead to the creation of many of the innovative technical concepts and methods of achieving them that exist today. Instead we've replaced that with company policies that won't even let me stream a documentary from Netflix on a separate monitor while I'm pulling an overnight shift in operations effectively monitoring systems which are highly automated in case an immediate response is necessary.

This lack of compensation and this failure of culture has lead to a massive brain drain as the vast majority of long-time old school Rackers are bailing on the company. Anyone who is a strong technical talent is in high demand in the market, especially the likes of those who helped drive the beginnings of Cloud computing. Failure to compensate these people properly while demanding that they comply to asinine policies is a guaranteed way to lose them and with it lose the company's ability to execute effectively.

Take the red pill and wake up to reality. Middle management is lying to you constantly and you believe it, and you're being dragged into so many meetings you no longer have time to effectively talk to people on the floor to understand what's really going on. You need to fix this and the only way to do that is go back to our core values and our basics, which is communicate honestly and talk to the folks on the floor as your peers.

If you take action at all, do the following, do it soon, and do it right:

1) Fix the compensation issue. Yes, it'll increase payroll expense which will result in a net increase in opex. But, it can be offset by the other thing you should be doing.

2) Clean house. And when I say this, I'm not talking about the guys on the floor, I'm talking about the bloat of middle management and sort-of upper management (Director and below) that's lead to constantly reducing productivity and our general too many chiefs not enough indians problem. Some things /need/ management, a lot of things need less management, and sometimes things just need the right management. At the end of the day though, management, middle management especially, is what's killing this company. Not the techs on the floor, and not even necessarily the people near the top.

Going, going.....gon

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some very sincere, hard-working, smart people there. CEO & President are 'good people'.

Cons

Focus changes quarterly.
    No vision > strategy? > competing tactics > confused employees > frustrated/fleeing customers > fading stock.
    Core values preached but no longer practiced.
    Broken continuity as people transfer every 6 months.

Senior managers hiring their unqualified buddies and then allowing them to get away with nearly anything has to stop.
    Entitlement and threatening has to end. Respect needs to be constantly earned.

It's a great company with great promise and passion.

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unparalleled passion and commitment. I've never worked for a company more committed to the people. nThe work-life balance is great and most roles/managers take a "as long as you get your work done" mentality that is very empowering.

Cons

Constant re-organizations and prioritization changes are exhausting. We talk about preventing/eliminating silos in the org but they always seem to pop up. We need to incentivize groups to communicate/coordinate better and not just "hope it will happen naturally".

Don't change directions so often. The big picture path has been relatively steady but be more conscious of the effects of re-prioritization.

Fun, high growth and fast paced enviroment

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, ability to telecommute, great sense of company pride and fun culture

Cons

Long hours, ability to telecommute means you're always working

Great company to work for in general...

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people hired at Rackspace are wonderful to work with.
    Benefits are great
    Environment is awesome-- HQ offers a full-service Rec center with fitness classes and personal training sessions, Airrosti, etc.
    Lots of career opportunities if you can find them and have the time to dedicate to shadowing outside of your day to day job.

Cons

Working in support you don't get much time to appreciate all of the fun activities and games that are offered or time to shadow other teams
    Overworked due to headcount
    Very demanding and draining work
    Little recognition
    Sit at a desk for 8+ hours

Since Fanatical Support is what our business is all about, it would be nice to see more effort and value put into our support Rackers.

Beware the dark side

Current Employee - Decline to State in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Decline to State in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, constant change, lots of challenging work, and significant opportunity for advancement if you play the social and political game correctly.

Cons

There is a very dark underbelly to the company's constant focus on its core values. In most cases, people really live these values but they are very frequently used as a weapon to ostracize people who challenge too much or who are disliked by the powerful social cliques that run the place. Rackspace claims to be a pure meritocracy but it is a great deal more like high school. If you can be one of the popular kids and are good at what you do, you can grow an amazing career at Rackspace. On the other hand, if you are great at what you do but you are threatening to any of the in-groups, you're going to suffer intensely.

You REALLY need to get G&A under control and it's going to take cuts to headcount to do it. There are long-time Rackers who have risen far past their highest point of competence and you need to stop treating tenure as though it is the equal of merit.