Rackspace Reviews in San Antonio, TX

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 34 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

272 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for in general...

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people hired at Rackspace are wonderful to work with.
    Benefits are great
    Environment is awesome-- HQ offers a full-service Rec center with fitness classes and personal training sessions, Airrosti, etc.
    Lots of career opportunities if you can find them and have the time to dedicate to shadowing outside of your day to day job.

Cons

Working in support you don't get much time to appreciate all of the fun activities and games that are offered or time to shadow other teams
    Overworked due to headcount
    Very demanding and draining work
    Little recognition
    Sit at a desk for 8+ hours

Since Fanatical Support is what our business is all about, it would be nice to see more effort and value put into our support Rackers.

Bureaucratic processes, endless change, poor middle management, no vision

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Good name on resume - work here for a year then leave

Cons

- Highly bureaucratic due to internal politics and legacy of endless change
    - Middle managers have no time to provide direction or recognize talent
    - Much middle management has no technical skill
    - Little vision on where industry is going (hint: Amazon)
    - Little opportunity within - massive teams for simple products, small teams for core business/processes
    - Pay is lower than industry average
    - Very high level of burnout
    - No work-life balance
    - Everyone is a manager, nobody manages

- Trim middle management
    - Recognize core people and promote technical staff, not bureaucrats

Long time Racker and I love this place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunities at Rackspace are fantastic. I've been here for many years and I have learned and grown so much.

Cons

Rackspace changes a lot internally. We do this because we have a 'do whatever it takes for the customer attitude' and sometimes that means a full on re-org. We aren't afraid of change in fact we embrace it. This can make things tough when it comes to consistency, or success of long term projects.

Rackspace has a fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to learn and grow in a fun environment. Managers care and are willing to work with you on schedules and projects.

Cons

It can be frustrating at times due to much disorganization. Different departments are sometimes working on similar projects leading to inefficiency. Training is provided to a certain level, but there is no structured training for advanced topics.

If Rackspace is going to differentiate itself from competitors based on support, then the support floor needs to be more valued instead of being treated like "people who barely made it through community college" as I've heard people say.

Beware the dark side

Current Employee - Decline to State in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Decline to State in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, constant change, lots of challenging work, and significant opportunity for advancement if you play the social and political game correctly.

Cons

There is a very dark underbelly to the company's constant focus on its core values. In most cases, people really live these values but they are very frequently used as a weapon to ostracize people who challenge too much or who are disliked by the powerful social cliques that run the place. Rackspace claims to be a pure meritocracy but it is a great deal more like high school. If you can be one of the popular kids and are good at what you do, you can grow an amazing career at Rackspace. On the other hand, if you are great at what you do but you are threatening to any of the in-groups, you're going to suffer intensely.

You REALLY need to get G&A under control and it's going to take cuts to headcount to do it. There are long-time Rackers who have risen far past their highest point of competence and you need to stop treating tenure as though it is the equal of merit.

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Linux Administrator I in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator I in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are generally great to work with. The office is comfortable. The benefits are also very nice. There are lots of opportunities to learn new technology.

Cons

The tools we need to use are broken half the time. Processes for advancement are not consistent and in some areas come down to very nit picky hoops that you have to jump through, some of them based on your personal brand and how you have sold it to the rest of your department.

Determine what advancement means in any given team and tailor the advancement process to match your expectations of the new position. Tools need to be consistently functioning and not rely on third party (employee written) hacks to extend them for needed functionality.

Still a great place to work, the few imperfections make it even better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great mix of motivated, creative people all wanting to build greatness. Relaxed culture but that doesn't imply lazy or unfocused. Constant drive to evolve, a winners attitude and enough passion to float a ship. Senior leaders are doing all the right things strategically and all other levels of leadership pulling in the same direction. Constantly growing in size and visibly "growing up" into a fun corporate.

Cons

Suffered from misaligned strategy in the past, some catching up to do. Suffering from teenage "coming of age issues", should pass in a few years with strong parenting (leadership). A lot of employee movement within the business, as well as into and out of the company. Great for job seekers but the constant churn is can be concerning.

Continue to stay in touch with all levels of the business, ignore the small pain points and continue to chase the big ones.

A shell of it's former self, trying to find purpose and meaning

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone tries really hard to keep a fun environment and put people first. Family friendly atmosphere meets a laid back vibe with a "get things done" disposition.

Cons

Sometimes Rackspace carries a strange, almost inauthentic paternal atmosphere. Leaders seem to burn a lot of energy setting up activities and conducting town halls that are designed to represent how much they care about Rackers...when all in all, most of the mid level leaders and below are actually self serving borderline psychopaths.

Just Quit. If what you read didn't make you question yourself or annoyed, maybe you're one of the 15% of managers that actually adds value.

A good company going sour

Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fun work environment, slide, coffee shop in-house, trees inside, many conference rooms that can be used for unscheduled ad-hoc meetings, located in an old mall

Cons

The culture has gone from Friends and Family to hostile and dangerous. Management is not listening to the real needs of people and makes crazy decisions on what is really needed vs what management thinks we need. Waste of money is always the outcome.

Listen to your employees. Make sure you understand your employee's real needs. Make sure you encourage your employees to push the envelope rather than cutting corners and making things on the "cheap".

Giving employees bad reviews because they try to push the envelope is not helping; it's counter productive and hostile. Advancing from within is almost impossible,

So much promise

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Culture" though not nearly what it once was, is still a standout.

Cons

Largely incompetent middle management. Senior management seems out-of-touch with reality. Front-lines are woefully understaffed and overworked. "Fanatical Support" has become mostly marketing B.S.

All-too-frequent changes in product and company focus suggest that you don't have a clear vision. Get your fundamentals in order: the billing system is a disaster and after all this time you still don't have a functional replacement. Put an immediate stop to implementing untested system changes in Production, and hold development teams accountable for their shoddy work. Pay attention to the negative customer comments in NPS and actually do something about them instead of just cherry picking positive customer comments to make yourselves feel better.