Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them)(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments(in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon(in 10 reviews)

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Unique

Inside Sales (Current Employee)

Prosthe people make this place what it is! great folks who treat you like family and bend over backwards to help with anything

Conssystems are archaic and painful

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople growth in specific departments as the business keeps growing

(UK) Great culture, poor advancement/compensation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Fantastic benefits, which the HR team do a great job with. From personal health (gym, sports days etc.) to general fun, they do a good job of creating a nice buzz.

- Generally, the culture is good. Increasingly, there seemed to be less focus on hiring the "right" characters and personalities for the company, but for most of my tenure I was surrounded by good people.

- Flexible time-off and working from home policies.

Cons- Compensation was really poor, and well below industry averages in some cases. Moving up pay grades was always made into a logistical difficulty (changing job titles, teams etc.).

- Some of the managers are not equipped to be people managers, relying on leaders within the teams to do most of the hands-on managerial work.

- Senior leadership approach the business in a very reactive manner, causing the business focus to shift every 6 months after things go wrong. There is no committed direction and it seems they're winging it.

- No opportunities for progression. Having left since, I have realised how I've probably stunted my own growth by not doing so sooner.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn several years of employment, I was one of many examples of people not once offered to interview for a more prominent position, in spite of performance and clear suitability. In my example, this was despite top-of-class performance reviews, and taking the role of "temporary" manager whenever the managerial team were away, or staff felt they couldn't rely on them.

Great culture and great benefits

Datacenter Operations Technician (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

ProsRackspace has a unique culture similar to that Google promotes. Lots of great events and perks such as benefits and private health care. The company has great company values which are followed to high a level throughout the company.

ConsWorking between the teams can be a challenge but something Rackspace is listening to resolve.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore great benefits to make us feel proud of working for the company. Like more merchandise would be great!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brilliant place to work, and play!

(Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsBrilliant culture with lots of inspiring and brilliantly talented people who you get to work with everyday. Great fun ethos and office-culture along with great benefits and regular events/activities. Halloween here is crazy!

ConsCompany is growing fast and this can sometimes make your day long, stressful and high pressured.

Good quality technical employees, great service but held back by low-level management

Datacenter Operations Technician II (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

ProsGood career progression possibilities
    Training opportunities
    Company culture
    No redundancies, growing business that cant afford to let quality employees go

ConsConsistently expected to work extra hours (stay late, working lunch etc)
    Low pay comparatively
    Some low level managers are terrible, train them or replace them

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate techs more, they are the ones who provide the fanatical support that our service is built on

used to be amazing but now it's nothing more than a simple minded drone company

ProsFree Pizza, Possible Career Progression, very awesome employees with excellent attitudes

Consfavouritism is still very strong in this company, management has become very drone like always bringing the "core values/culture" up in all reviews, your conversations with them and even emails like some sort of USSR communist group (THE MOTHERLAND RACKSPACE). workload seems to increase every year with little to no compensation given. The UK data center has the technicians working very strange shift patterns such as the 1pm to 10pm (known by many as the 'no life shift') and a night shift 9pm - 7am that has no day rotation. every shift fights to get on the early shift as it is the only one with reasonable hours (and of course lowest allowance for travel costs).

Advice to Senior Managementlook after your own instead of throwing them to the side

Company full of opportunities

ProsThe culture and the core values in this company are awesome. There are tons of internal training courses where every Racker can improve his skills.

ConsSalary average is a bit lower than other companies and this can sometimes refrain people from choosing this company .

Great company, not very technologically advanced... for a company operating in the tech space.

ProsIncredible opportunities for me, especially since I had no relevant experience going in

Fun sales atmosphere

ConsBasically a mid market managed services provider desperately trying to compete against Amazon, Google & Azure
    Archaic systems
    Lack of intelligence on a day to day level for sales strategy, Marketing do well to get the leads funnelled through

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in identifying GREAT companies as potential customers. Support the development community and learn from them.

Help keep fanatical support alive internally

Focus on ways to improve the way we operate instead of always just hiring new people and asking them to perform processes that could be automated

Amazing

Desktop Support Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWork Culture and Fun place to work for.

ConsNothing I can think of.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Avoid if you are experienced and want to step up to strategic roles - you may end up in a dead end job you don't enjoy.

(Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome of the people working here are great and extremely smart.

ConsLeadership at this company is extremely bad - no clear vision at all.

Middle management is extremely bad to the point where it will be come detrimental to the company - very inexperienced and the experience they have is not relevant to their roles, promoting themselves to the point of failure.

Some of the goals you have to attain as part of your reviews have nothing to do with your job role creating more work and pointless tick boxes for the employees who are already over worked.

Very large gaps in their "Fanatical Support" model - not really for enterprise customers fine for SMB's.

Constantly having to fill in gaps in the support model to the point where certain employees are acting as the glue that hold the whole thing together.

The culture at this company has been lost a long time ago and at the moment it's just keeping up appearances.

Very few employees live up to the core values especially some of the middle management.

Salary is ok nothing amazing benefits are standard I have seen better packages out there.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many managers who can't manage or just don't have the skills for management.

"Fanatical Support" does not work for enterprise customers follow a proper support model that works.

Some of the roles are being misused to fill in huge gaps in the support model which is a complete waste of peoples skills and extremely demotivating - fix this or you will keep churning employees and these guys genuinely love the company.

Culture really doesn't exist at this company any more and that is being said by "Rackers" who have been here for 7 to 8 years - might be time to take a step back and find out where it's got lost.

Stop focusing so much on Amazon and see the wider picture there are other competitors out there who are a much bigger threat to Amazon and Rackspace combined.

Stop pushing back products due to knee jerk reactions. Employ Programme Managers, Project Managers, more developers and testers so you can contribute more to the Openstack project or Redhat will end up being the defacto leader of Openstack.

You need to have proper project managers for implementations, modifications to customer solutions and re-architectures. Not having these places a huge burden on the account management teams.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!