Radford University

Radford University Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great colleagues; too much administration.

ProsColleagues are great to work with. Very collegial.

ConsThe administration is bloated. The structure now resembles a mushroom.

Easy Work-Study

Lack of leadership
    no room for promotion

Grading Grading Grading....

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Radford, VA

ProsGood tuition benefits and guidance from professors

ConsA lot of working overtime

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good school with great management and employees.

Operations Assistant (Former Employee) Radford, VA

ProsTeam oriented,leadership, office culture,

ConsUnderpaid, hours, opportunities for advancement,

Depends on your department

Office Manager (Current Employee) Radford, VA

Pros* medical benefits, tuition waiver (if your supervisor supports it), state benefits
    * some people are great, small university that is growing
    * current boss is a people person, enjoys working with others, tells you what needs to be done and the date due, the type that others should eliminate
    * beautiful campus, small enough you can walk across it without having to drive everywhere

Cons* limited budget, low starting salary for administrative and support staff
    * new hires cannot file a grievance even if warranted
    * my first boss was terrible, controlling, manipulative and anti-social

Advice to Senior ManagementI have moved into a position that I am supported by manager. When I started two years ago I worked for a Department where the chair thought I was her personal assistant and really abused me. Lots of unpaid overtime, etc. I felt I had to do this in order to keep my job. HR made her give me comp time but it's hour per hour ... not 1- 1/2 hours per hour comp.

My advise is this: require mandatory training for Department Chairs when hired in if they have no managerial experience. Address things like supervisory training, disabilities act, how to write a job description, etc and especially budget management, and purchasing guidelines. It is terrible experience to have a supervisor upset with you when you are quoting purchasing guidelines ... but all they understand is "I want this and you're going order it ... period" than you quote that it's something that has to go through an approval process and will not be ordered by said date. Please make them attend training to make them follow fair labor law practices, etc. That way the admin and support personnel are not stuck in the hot seat of denying them something.

Growth Experience

MBA Assistant (Former Employee) Radford, VA

ProsThe company culture is changing. People actually were invested in helping me grow within my job. People are friendly and caring. It was nice to work with experienced staff.

ConsOpportunities for advancement were often political and departments seemed to be more like cliques. Also just filing paper work seems to be a hassle, you shouldn't have to meet with 6 different people to get approved for an event.

New Student Programs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best part about working for this department is all the skills I developed and all the connections I was able to make. Finally they have been the best part is resource they have become for me.

ConsThere aren't always enough staff for the peer instructors.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone feels like they're appreciated.

It was a wonderful position for being a full time graduate student.

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Radford, VA

ProsMy boss was very flexible and I was able to use my skills regularly.

ConsYou must be a full time graduate student to be considered for hire.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe orientation meeting could be more involved.

Graduate Assistantship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat way to earn cash during graduate school. Great pay for the work done depending on the professors. Ability to build relationships with professors outside the classroom. This was a great job and opportunity to learn about academia from the professors point of view.

ConsSome professors will take advantage of you and give you work outside of your scheduled hours.

Graduate Industrial-Organizational Psychology Student

ProsVery applied program and we get a lot of direct experience applying what we learn in the classroom to companies in the NRV area. Professors are great and down to earth. Very accessible.

ConsThe only con is if you want a Ph.D in the future this isn't the program for you. You can still go on to get one, but this program is very applied.

Worked for Radford University? Contribute to the Community!