RadiSys

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
3.1

Brian Bonson

Pros
  • Cool people around, good hr policies, good projects to work in to, Lot to learn, technical and non-technical (in 4 reviews)

• Flexi timings are a plus and they give you work from home on need basis (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bare profits due to lack of vision, direction and persistence in existing markets (in 3 reviews)

• can understand code except the one who has written (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, struggling to move the company to the next level

Current Employee - Customer Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at RadiSys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An environment that allows for growth and experience through wearing many hats. Flexible work environment.

Cons

If you have a problem setting boundaries for your own work-life balance you could work yourself to death.

From someone who has survived being acquired by Radisys.

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer

I worked at RadiSys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros were the flexibility of the hours, sometimes having the ability to work from home, and the challenges the job provided. I also enjoyed working with most of my colleagues, whether it's inside the US, or outside the US. I definitely enjoyed working with most of the engineers on various complex issues. I also liked some of the opportunities that it presented.

Cons

This can be quite a long list, especially when Radisys is acquiring the company I was a part of, and was previously quite happy with that company, albeit its issues. I found executive-level management to create excessive layoffs in the wrong areas, lack of a proper direction, and not investing enough resources towards their employees(i.e.pay rate, career opportunities, actual resources for the employee to their job), and creating an actual company vision with a clear direction. The work load was quite high, which is not a problem, but not receiving anything for it is, some of it due to unwillingness to invest into needed resources. I have also noticed that there is excessive middle-management that are not effective at their jobs, and the wrong people are being promoted into such positions. I also noticed an excessive amount of internal procedures to complete the task that simply provides no use in terms of efficiency nor guide for the employee to complete their tasks, simply just for management to cover their tails. The infrastructure and environment creates zero incentive for most employees to complete their tasks.

Create a clear vision an direction for the company, do not be afraid to take financial risks to constrict yourself to achieve those goals. Do a better job of identifying talent in terms of middle and upper management, and do a better job showing appreciation to the talent that you already have.

Lead Engineer

I worked at RadiSys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Latest Technology
    - Supportive peers

Cons

- Lacking business focus
    - Falling reputation with Share Holders

- Try to focus on the market
    - Have a fixed board and common outlook for the company

Past

I worked at RadiSys

Pros

Good team and global workforce

Cons

Tough market and new competition

Strategy

Good

I worked at RadiSys (more than 3 years)

Pros

Industry, Product, Food, People, Location and reward. Offers a smaller company expereince compared to many other electronic company's

Cons

Change, uncertainty, lack of resources, turn over, and product stagnation are all problems. Managment is not finding a new course which is desperatly needed.

Constant reorganization and the management and business until levels since 2011.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people used to be the best but now there are very little employees left in North America and Europe. The company has outsourced heavily to China and India in recent years.

Cons

Constant reorganizations, constant shifting business strategies, lack of direction, lack of corporate culture,

Invest in your employees in North America and Europe, invest in training, need a clear short and long term vision/strategy realize the lack of gains since investing in Asia for R&D.

Future very uncertain

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Nice team... the few that are left.
    - Generally supportive environment.
    - Pretty flexible on telecommuting.
    - Good pay but only if you negotiate at hire.

Cons

- Employee morale very low. After years of constant layoffs seems hardly anybody believing in what they do. Most of the crew is demotivated and staying only because of paychecks.
    - Several core technology experts were either laid of or left for other opportunities.
    - Lack of strong future technology vision.
    - The only decision driver is set of numbers presented to the wall street.
    - Pay rises non-existent regardless of your performance.
    - Constant re-orgs.
    - Be prepared to be laid off any day.

Radisys will not survive without enthusiastic, visionary team and clear vision for products.

Good company. Good people. I really hope they make it through recent changes!

Former Employee - Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility to occasionally work from home when needed is great. They are usually very fair with salary and benefits. I enjoyed working here when things were growing, fast-moving, and exciting. When it was going well, and the company was US-based, I was very pleased. It was a good feeling and a good environment and I enjoyed coming to work every day.

Cons

Downhill slide for past few years is creating a poor working environment. Management has lost touch with customers and reality of situation they are in. CEO is a finance guy not a technical guy, and although he is really trying hard to right the ship, I sensed a lack of vision besides the vision of constant cost-cutting. The industry shift to cloud computing is creating a change in product relevancy. A lot of the company has shifted to Asia (engineering and manufacturing) leaving only limited roles for US employees besides upper management - no opportunities to advance or try something new. The shift to Asia created less efficiency and increased issues with product quality. There are cumbersome processes and perceived requirements that push internal efficiency problems out externally onto customers. The flexibility to occasionally work from home is both a blessing and a curse as most of the company is in Asia there is expectation to work on global schedule at odd hours, which means you will be constantly plugged in.

Put the customer first and most things will self-correct. Communicate a technical vision that employees can get onboard with. Limit additional restructurings and layoffs to help stabilize morale. Give the US employees a reason to stay.

In general it was a satisfying working experience, but a dissatisfying layoff experience

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people, friendly and hard workers

Cons

Constant fear of mass layoffs. No two weeks notice for any of us

Provide the same professional courtesy that you expect

RadiSys has lost its way

I worked at RadiSys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RadiSys has a lot of very talented architects and knowledge about the telecommunications industry. Their pay has been fair at hire, although not yearly raises have been sub-par.

Cons

Management has lost it's way. Recent acquisitions caused a management exodus, which isn't reversing course. The board of directors wants to move the company into higher-margin business. But, their singular focus on gross margin doesn't pay the bills.

Bringing in more value is admirable, but you weren't in a position to turn away lower margin business until you had more demand for the more profitable endeavors.

RadiSys Photos