RadiSys

www.radisys.com

RadiSys Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2014
RadiSys – Pudong – “Outside the company”

RadiSys – Pudong – “Outside the company”

Brian Bonson

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIndustry, Product, Food, People, Location and reward. Offers a smaller company expereince compared to many other electronic company's

ConsChange, uncertainty, lack of resources, turn over, and product stagnation are all problems. Managment is not finding a new course which is desperatly needed.

Constant reorganization and the management and business until levels since 2011.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsThe people used to be the best but now there are very little employees left in North America and Europe. The company has outsourced heavily to China and India in recent years.

ConsConstant reorganizations, constant shifting business strategies, lack of direction, lack of corporate culture,

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees in North America and Europe, invest in training, need a clear short and long term vision/strategy realize the lack of gains since investing in Asia for R&D.

Future very uncertain

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

Pros- Nice team... the few that are left.
    - Generally supportive environment.
    - Pretty flexible on telecommuting.
    - Good pay but only if you negotiate at hire.

Cons- Employee morale very low. After years of constant layoffs seems hardly anybody believing in what they do. Most of the crew is demotivated and staying only because of paychecks.
    - Several core technology experts were either laid of or left for other opportunities.
    - Lack of strong future technology vision.
    - The only decision driver is set of numbers presented to the wall street.
    - Pay rises non-existent regardless of your performance.
    - Constant re-orgs.
    - Be prepared to be laid off any day.

Advice to Senior ManagementRadisys will not survive without enthusiastic, visionary team and clear vision for products.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company. Good people. I really hope they make it through recent changes!

Program Manager (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsFlexibility to occasionally work from home when needed is great. They are usually very fair with salary and benefits. I enjoyed working here when things were growing, fast-moving, and exciting. When it was going well, and the company was US-based, I was very pleased. It was a good feeling and a good environment and I enjoyed coming to work every day.

ConsDownhill slide for past few years is creating a poor working environment. Management has lost touch with customers and reality of situation they are in. CEO is a finance guy not a technical guy, and although he is really trying hard to right the ship, I sensed a lack of vision besides the vision of constant cost-cutting. The industry shift to cloud computing is creating a change in product relevancy. A lot of the company has shifted to Asia (engineering and manufacturing) leaving only limited roles for US employees besides upper management - no opportunities to advance or try something new. The shift to Asia created less efficiency and increased issues with product quality. There are cumbersome processes and perceived requirements that push internal efficiency problems out externally onto customers. The flexibility to occasionally work from home is both a blessing and a curse as most of the company is in Asia there is expectation to work on global schedule at odd hours, which means you will be constantly plugged in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the customer first and most things will self-correct. Communicate a technical vision that employees can get onboard with. Limit additional restructurings and layoffs to help stabilize morale. Give the US employees a reason to stay.

In general it was a satisfying working experience, but a dissatisfying layoff experience

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsSmart people, friendly and hard workers

ConsConstant fear of mass layoffs. No two weeks notice for any of us

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide the same professional courtesy that you expect

RadiSys has lost its way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRadiSys has a lot of very talented architects and knowledge about the telecommunications industry. Their pay has been fair at hire, although not yearly raises have been sub-par.

ConsManagement has lost it's way. Recent acquisitions caused a management exodus, which isn't reversing course. The board of directors wants to move the company into higher-margin business. But, their singular focus on gross margin doesn't pay the bills.

Advice to Senior ManagementBringing in more value is admirable, but you weren't in a position to turn away lower margin business until you had more demand for the more profitable endeavors.

Death spiral unless company can figure a way to grow the top line

Mfg Operations Management (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsEmployees are smart, motivated, enabled, and expected to achieve, do what's best.

ConsCompany has failed to grow revenue for a long time. What growth has occurred has been thru acquisition.

Until revenues grow, the company will continue to be squeezed to implement cost cutting. Very painful.

Most functions are now outsource to Asia. Very very limited USA job growth.

Acquisition of CCPU has been more of a take-over by CCPU.

C

Advice to Senior ManagementGet into business that will grow organically. Set and communicate reasonable growth guidelines.

Find a way to get back to a culture that is fun, rewarding, exciting, and team oriented.

Good experience

Software Developer (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsI was an intern. They actually let me work with end-product code and deal with customers.

ConsTakes a while to get used to ATCA if new.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management

Was a good place to work but things have changed

Engineer (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsGreat team--lots of collaboration.
    Healthy work life balance
    Results based
    Invested in training
    Nice benefits
    Openness from management

ConsConstant downsizing and cost reduction. Radisys has fully shifted focus of design and operation to Asia.
    Much less opportunities now days, unless you speak Mandarin.
    Present CEO very aloof.
    Change in business strategy has led to comoditized products that are based strictly on costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may be the nature of the business, but shifting practically everything to Asia has it's downsides, as the company no longer feels American.
    Not sure what value the company has anymore, so sell the company to an Asian based computer company and let them properly gut the rest of US offices.

An Asian-based company with US headquarters

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsGood benefits and salary
    Praise and recognition for job well done

ConsFew US opportunities
    Very little growth opportunity

Worked for RadiSys? Contribute to the Community!