RadiSys Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Brian Bonson

Pros
  • Cool people around, good hr policies, good projects to work in to, Lot to learn, technical and non-technical (in 4 reviews)

• great place to learn, more challenging work, good opportunity , good pay, more benefits, good work culture (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bare profits due to lack of vision, direction and persistence in existing markets (in 3 reviews)

• Most functions are now outsource to Asia (in 3 reviews)

1. HR

I worked at RadiSys full-time

Pros

I loved the working environment when I worked there. Colleagues are very friendly.

Cons

I heard there were a lot of changes in the company. Some business strategy changes and seems it has a negative impact on business.

Undergoing significant change

I worked at RadiSys (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very qualified and talented employees.

Cons

Frequently changing strategy can leave you out in the cold. Hard to plot a career through the changes.

3. In the midst of a difficult transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at RadiSys full-time

Pros

Leading edge technologies make for interesting projects with a broad range of responsibilities and autonomy. There's a tremendous amount of flexibility with regards to work/life balance, but that can also get carried away on the former if you don't pay attention to the latter.

Cons

Multi-site off-shore engineering can make for odd or off hours. Traditional markets are extremely challenged, shrinking and overcrowded with competitors. Traditional (good) culture of the company is fading and unclear what emerges post transition.

Advice to Management

Focus, focus, focus! Stop hedging and commit.

5. Good company; great technologies; tough business

I have been working at RadiSys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Engineering team has been working on leading technologies for decades. It has been always interesting and fulfilling.
    Development teams have had open design choices; design decisions belong to the development teams.
    Great comradeship and friendship. People stay friends beyond work boundaries.

Cons

Tough business to stay competitive and successful.
    Many changes and re-orgs over time to stay relevant and profitable.
    Perceived low value-add in Radisys products even though significant innovation and effort went into them.

Advice to Management

Radisys needs to find a way to get adequately paid for the value it delivers to its customers. It seems that Radisys customers are getting a "good" deal from Radisys and are benefiting from the competitive landscape.

6. Good place to work

Former Employee - Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Radisys was a good place to work. They provided opportunities for growth and to work on new projects. Development was mainly offshore but once you understood the culture offshore sites where good to work with. The work environment was very fast paced.

Cons

Company had a very diverse product mix. Sometime finding the synergy between the groups was challenging. Must be willing to work non-standard hours with sales, support and engineering located throughout the world

7. Started out as great company but now the future looks bleak

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at RadiSys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, good salary, flexible hours, lots of freedom.

Cons

Company has taken a nose dive and the best employees have either been let go or jumped ship! Not sure the company is going to make it. Very low morale at work, all fringe benefits are gone, no opportunities for advancement, "every penny counts" which means forget about a raise! There is NO work-life balance. If you want to keep working there you will be plugged in 24/7. I used to enjoy working for Radisys, now those of us few who are
    left in Hillsboro are seeking other employment for fear the company will shut down. Not a happy or fun place to work anymore.

Advice to Management

Find a way to treat your remaining employees better or just sell the company. It's rough being on a sinking ship, especially when your captain would just as soon throw you overboard!

8. Great people, struggling to move the company to the next level

Current Employee - Customer Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at RadiSys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An environment that allows for growth and experience through wearing many hats. Flexible work environment.

Cons

If you have a problem setting boundaries for your own work-life balance you could work yourself to death.

9. Lead Engineer

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Latest Technology
    - Supportive peers

Cons

- Lacking business focus
    - Falling reputation with Share Holders

Advice to Management

- Try to focus on the market
    - Have a fixed board and common outlook for the company

10. Past

I worked at RadiSys

Pros

Good team and global workforce

Cons

Tough market and new competition

Advice to Management

Strategy

11. From someone who has survived being acquired by Radisys.

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros were the flexibility of the hours, sometimes having the ability to work from home, and the challenges the job provided. I also enjoyed working with most of my colleagues, whether it's inside the US, or outside the US. I definitely enjoyed working with most of the engineers on various complex issues. I also liked some of the opportunities that it presented.

Cons

This can be quite a long list, especially when Radisys is acquiring the company I was a part of, and was previously quite happy with that company, albeit its issues. I found executive-level management to create excessive layoffs in the wrong areas, lack of a proper direction, and not investing enough resources towards their employees(i.e.pay rate, career opportunities, actual resources for the employee to their job), and creating an actual company vision with a clear direction. The work load was quite high, which is not a problem, but not receiving anything for it is, some of it due to unwillingness to invest into needed resources. I have also noticed that there is excessive middle-management that are not effective at their jobs, and the wrong people are being promoted into such positions. I also noticed an excessive amount of internal procedures to complete the task that simply provides no use in terms of efficiency nor guide for the employee to complete their tasks, simply just for management to cover their tails. The infrastructure and environment creates zero incentive for most employees to complete their tasks.

Advice to Management

Create a clear vision an direction for the company, do not be afraid to take financial risks to constrict yourself to achieve those goals. Do a better job of identifying talent in terms of middle and upper management, and do a better job showing appreciation to the talent that you already have.

RSS Feed </> Embed