Radiance Technologies

Radiance Technologies Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

An excellent and challenging place to work

Senior Logistics Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Radiance Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat technologies, excellent innovation in sensors ans systems

ConsNarrow business field limits market expansion

Dealing with government procedure is more challenging the software development

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Stennis Space Center, MS

I have been working at Radiance Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours, generous time off, very laid back work environment.

ConsLong commute, work is not challenging, dealing with non-technical government employees, doesn't pay a lot, no advancement possibilities, could be let go if contract funding got cut, no leadership or support from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more leadership. Support your employees when they are dealing with a stubborn customer that has zero technical knowledge. Offer some basic training and instruction to new hires. Communicate changes and company restructuring to employees. Consider developing a career path that creates opportunity for advancement.

A fair, organized company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Radiance Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople were very professional and serious about their work.

ConsSecuring new DoD contract business was difficult in some markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe attuned to the areas employees want to grow their career in to.

All great things come to an end

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Radiance Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAwesome benefits with great pay. The culture at Radiance was very friendly. I loved working for Radiance. You didn't always have to go through a tremendous effort to procure items that were needed for customer support or office supplies. It wasn't a matter of going through 12 people to get an answer, then waiting weeks or months for the supplies to arrive. They really seemed focused on quality customer support.

ConsNepotism and cronyism. Heck, the CEOs kid(s) work for the company and no, it is not family owned. There are so many father/son, husband/wive combos, even at the highest levels. It almost makes you sick to your stomach, especially when half of that combo is nothing but dead weight.

Too many chiefs, not enough indians. There are people sitting in program/project management slots that have no degrees or real PM experience. These are the same people who are writing portions of contract proposals, proposals that are not winning contracts. Obviously, those dedicated to contracts and business development should be doing a better job of tasking out proposal writing.

To go with a previous review, they are also notorious for billing the government much higher rates than competitors. I think they got spoiled with expeditionary contracts, but that is a thing of the past and they seem reluctant to change. Many people have been laid off, some of whom spent many years with the company, which is scary considering they are a small business. They are not winning contracts, besided a few small ones around Huntsville, in quite a long time. Mr. Bailey better do something soon or RTI will become another has-been company.

Finally, as with any small company, no room to move. You can't move laterally, let alone vertically. That is, unless you are buddies with someone or related to someone higher up.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out who isn't where they should be and who is where they shouldn't be. Stop letting directors and PMs move people with no credentials up through the ranks. Telecommuting is a good way to hide unqualified individuals.

Good Company, limited resources

Commuications Field Service Engineer (Former Employee)
Beale AFB, CA

I worked at Radiance Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company to work for and looks out for its employees

ConsLimited work areas. Mostly overseas in Afganistan or in Huntsville

Radiance Technologies, as good as it gets

Radiance Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Radiance Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDiverse work activities over the years, opportunity to grow, rewards those that excel, excellent management team, wonderful and honest people, integrity, stable, employee ownership model, team players and excellent benefits package. Also relevant work to current DoD and NASA budget. Did I mention our benefits package?

ConsI do not have anything negative to say about Radiance, especially with our new President at the helm.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing and appreciate you reminding all of us at the company that senior management works for us, and is a privilege not a right.

Amazing employees....management stinks and is ruining the culture that made this place great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Radiance Technologies full-time

ProsUnmatched benefits and pay. The best in the industry.
You will work with some of the most talented engineers and support people around. They really are what makes this place amazing

ConsTheir rates are sky high and therefore they lose a lot of contracts they should otherwise win

This is a company going through the growing pains of an organization trying to make the transition from small business to big, and they are not handling it well.

Middle and upper management here needs to remember what got them there. It is a very closed, old school culture of government contracting. They are still trying to run things like it was done in the 80's and just don't realize that it is a different world now.

They are essentially a body shop that hires to a contract. If something should happen to that funding line or contract you will be cut loose without so much as a "sorry"

The amount of politics and backstabbing going on there now rivals most high school girls locker rooms and management turns a blind eye to it as most of them have no clue what is going on with their programs

If you are not a retired Colonel you might as well hang it up. They would rather hire a retired LtCol or COL because he has an impressive collection of business cards and a large contact list, than to promote someone who has put in time with the company and actually knows what they are doing.

Also, don't even try to get ahead if you are a woman or are "other than white".....this is a lilly white company. Just try to see how many of their Program Managers are black or female.
Women are rarely treated as anything more than secretaries, even ones with impressive resumes, and i think i counted 5 black people in a company of over 400. Don't even get me started on their lack of hispanics and asians

Their travel and reimbursement system is horrible also. Where else do you have a company that forces people to spend %75 or more of their time on the road and wont even issue them a company card. but then takes weeks on end to reimburse employees for their travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to remember what made this company a great place to work.

Put in place some managers and VP's who actually know what their employees are doing and not just an empty suit.

Re-build the culture of "we take care of our people" rather than become the body shop you are turning into.

It is also time to implement a real, grown up Business Development plan. This idea of "everyone in the company needs to do Business Development on their own time just isn't cutting it.
Grow up, hire a real BD team, and a real proposal team and maybe you won't be constantly in a money crisis by only relying on two or three groups for all of your funding.

Excellent overall

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Radiance Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployee owned, benefits are absolutely outstanding, practically unmatched. Extremely generous profit sharing and stock options. Flexible with hours. Lot of smart people with good experience to learn from.

ConsGetting crowded, so a quite a bit of office sharing going on. Right now, contracts are getting a bit dry. Because it's a small company, if things get slow, you may be working on something dull/unrelated to your field for a while, twidling your thumbs, or even out on extended leave without pay for a while.

Great benefits

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Radiance Technologies

ProsBenefits and salary are outstanding

ConsSome managers are not people oriented

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place for military related work

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Radiance Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, pretty good management.

Conssurvival on grants funding.. very few products

Worked for Radiance Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Radiance Technologies reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Radiance Technologies employees.