Radiant Systems

Best days behind?

Former Employee - Senior Support Technician in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Support Technician in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Radiant Systems

Pros

Limited responsibilities, not asked to work overtime, predictable schedules, some opportunities for career growth and decent communication with peers and management.

Cons

Company seems a bit stagnant and stock is not much of an incentive. Not a lot of innovative thinking taking place.

Find a way to expand growth beyond the same model that has been out there for 15 years so that shareholders can reap some benefits and provide the capital needed to invest in innovative technology.

Good place to start

Current Employee - Software Developer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Radiant Systems

Pros

Great people to work with
     Relaxed atmosphere
     Good place to start straight out of college
     Extra effort is recognized and rewarded

Cons

Extra effort is rewarded up to a point
    Work can sometimes be dull-you have to find your own interesting projects
     Executive team sometimes makes poor decisions
    Morale currently low

Don't tell us how hard it is to cut raises when you take a large bonus.
     The impact of a slowdown should be felt at the top too.
     Do something about morale, not just talk about it.

Great Work-Life Balance, Bad Compensation

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Radiant Systems

Pros

The people developers work with are intelligent and friendly. I've made a lot of good friends here. My team lead is supportive and a friend. People are open and almost always willing to help. Management rarely asks more than they should and I've never had trouble asking for time off.

Cons

When you start, you better negotiate your salary really well because raises aren't good even when the economy is booming. A regular (non-promotion) raise is between up to 3% for a strong employee. A strong is 3 out of 4 in reviews, 2s are most common and 4s are extremely rare.

If you ask your employees to go without raises, don't issue large bonuses to executives. It adds insult to injury.

Mixed bag, as with most companies...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Radiant Systems

Pros

Radiant Systems has always had a fun "work hard, play hard" culture, and always lots of great people to work with in all areas of the company.

Cons

I am not sure if it's the industry they're in or perhaps a lack of innovative leadership, but I get the impression that they will not ever succeed in generating any real and dramatic growth (i.e., not just buying other companies) and shareholder value.

Deal with the individuals not pulling their weight. It is always easier to move them to a different project/department than to have a hard conversation and/or part ways with them. But in doing so you are doing the company (and these individuals) a disservice by not being forthright.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Radiant Systems

Pros

Great company that is growing very rapidly. They have great managers and a great benifit package. I highly recomment Radiant.

Cons

There were not many downsides to the company. I believe you may need a masters degree to advance quicker within the company.

Keep your head up and work hard. If you work hard they will treat you well. Keep up the good work.

Consulting team member

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Radiant Systems

Pros

Positive work atmosphere, Comfortable office space, Large and diverse list of clients across many industries, Strong atmosphere of teamwork across all depts

Cons

There can be a measurable amount of travel expected if you are in client facing positions. There are team members that must work together that aren't always centrally located in one industry's office.

Make sure you live your ideal of being a great company to work for above all.

Good place to work -- work not the most exciting

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Radiant Systems

Pros

Work with talented people
    I had a good boss
    Fair compensation and Benefits
    Scheduled employee events
    Community involvement encouraged
    Accountability encouraged

Cons

Communication between upper management and worker bees slow and indirect
    Silos between groups
    Work not the most stimulating or challenging

Encourage innovation
    Be proactive in sharing news -- both good and bad
    Provide a way for employees to transfer or find different projects

Dynamic, Fun company, but culture is somewhat stiff

Former Employee - Consultant in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Radiant Systems

Pros

A dynamic and exciting company with a great product. Lots of smart people and good information sharing. Super benefits and lots of paid time off.

Cons

Some people in Senior Management are not approachable. I had several instances where I escalated issues to Senior Management through the proper channels, however, they acted like they didn't know who I was and brushed me off.
    Overall, the culture is a little stiff.

Be more approachable to your field people.

He's a very personable guy who will shake your hand and tell you how it really is with the company in this economy.

Current Employee - Trainer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Trainer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Radiant Systems

Pros

The culture is that of a small company, where opinions are valued and you feel like an important part of an overall picture. Everyone works as a team and gets the job done because of how well the company treats us.

Cons

Training could use a little work, as there are not a lot of methods for training developed yet. We are working on changing that as a team.

Thanks for giving us feedback on what's going on with the company, because we are all scared of what the economy is doing to the corporate America and our jobs.

Good place to work, but could be better.

Current Employee - Software Developer III in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Developer III in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Radiant Systems

Pros

A secure job with average to good Benefits. There are a great many knowledgable people from which to learn and grow professionally. If you like fast paced competitve work this is the place for you. As a developer it would be a good place to start out in your twenties and early thirties, but unless you want and can finagle the oppurtunity to crossover into management the progression ends there. Radiant's products are widely used and there is pride to be taken in their visible succes. There is a healthy sence of commitment, urgency, and accountability that pervades the organization.

Cons

There have been many aquisitions of other companies by Radiant and it tends to feel in the years that follow that the companies are still seperate entities. The work environment has a continuing decrease in the ratio of space per person which has no prospects for relief in the immediate future. If you like a quiet environment to concentrate in this will frustrate you. Raises and bonuses are meager at best. There are only 4 grades that people get during reviews: low solid, strong or star. Obivously you don't want to be low. Star is basically impossible. Most people are solid and few nose to the grindstone types get strong. Management by crises is also way too prevalent.

Better financial motivation, Health benefits are starting to wane, More balance towards organic growth rather than growth through aquistions. There needs to be more of a check on sales people from overpromising product enhancements.