Radical Entertainment

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kelly Zmak

Great place to work

Graphics Programmer (Former Employee)

ProsFun, Good work-life balance, smart people, above average compensation, Training

ConsManagement, Time off policies, Hours of work

Was a great place to work

Game Designer (Current Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsBack before they were bought by Vivendi, this company was really starting to get away from the "me too" mentality and focusing on original games. Plenty of dedicated developers and awesome dev tools (the Gym)

ConsEach team worked with different tools making it hard to build on previous tech. Way too much overtime and a tendency to let senior people go at the end of crunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery few people left there as Activision did a good job killing a good studio

Nice place to work; mediocre management

QA Tester (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGood work environment, good co-workers, interesting games. Usual perks of working at a tech company. Great location in an interesting building in nice city.

ConsThe lack of direction in management and some strange design decisions are what led to the company not making it's own games and doing in-house work for management.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smart co-workers, excellent projects, great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery smart and professional co-workers, fully stocked kitchen, nice offices, good opportunities for career advancement and professional development

ConsSeems more stable now, but there have been rounds of layoffs over the years. They are much smaller than when I worked there these days, but people I know there still seem to enjoy it.

Unfulfilled promise, in more ways than one.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRadical hires the best talent available. Tons of great and knowledgeable people to work with everyday. Great working environment and location. Excellent perks and benefits.

ConsSeems to have difficulty keeping the best talent available, especially after the merger with Activision. Office politics and a few bad apples has changed the culture of the workplace from something amazing to something pedestrian.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in home grown talent. Hold people accountable for their actions and decisions. Grow up, this isn't high school anymore.

One of the best company I had the pleasure to work!

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros- Staff is AWESOME. The level of knowledge everyone have is simply fantastic!
    - Very friendly, caring and helpfull HR
    - the BEST managers I had all my life. No question!
    - Amazing benefits
    - almost free food and beverages, food cart passes by your desk everyday at 2:30PM with more food, beverages and coffee.
    - excellent IT - always got what I need to do my work.

Conssince Activision took over the Vivendi group, Radical has being "chopped" apart. Radical was a family company, in the sense that there was a lot of staff that was working together for 10-15 years, they all started as "boys and girls" and they all got married and started to have children. They all growth together. It was a really AMAZING family "warmness" feeling all over.

When the first layoffs happened, everyone got scarred for life! then the second layoffs...

Today Radical is a complete different company and you can "smell" on the air the sadness and scars that all this process left on everyone that stayed.

The "warmness" has being replaced by a very stressful "survival instinct", and the pressure everyone gets from the high leadership to "care for the project like it was your last chance stay alive" or "lets give our blood because the project is the most important thing in our lives" is just overwhelming, frustrating and very enervating some times.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Kelly Zmak back!!! Since he left Radical lost his soul, in my opnion. The guy was an inspiration to everyone!!! He knew how to make you fell good about being at Radical!!!

Change happens.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsThe technology group was a very good group to work with

ConsSadly, the technology group is no more.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat can be done... since Activision pays the bill, what they say goes...

It used to be a good place but now you can find better ones...

Art Director (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsVancouver, good benefits, good development team (some)

Conslocation, management, the studio is really dying of a slow death, too corporate

Advice to Senior Managementits not your fault really... everyone gotta pay the mortgage...

Worked for Radical Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Radical Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Radical Entertainment CEO Kelly Zmak. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Radical Entertainment employees.