Radio Flyer

Updated March 3, 2015
4.7

Radio Flyer President and CEO Robert F. Pasin
Robert F. Pasin

Not only do we work to bring smiles to others, we create our own every day together.

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Radio Flyer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started as a temp and was then hired on full-time about 4 months later. The people are really the best part about working at Radio Flyer. The culture we have created is welcoming, creative, and motivating. Everyone knows you by name and always has a moment to talk through things with you. The training program really helped me find out the kind of person I want to be and how to be successful both in and out of work. I absolutely love being a part of this company.

Cons

If you live in the city and do not have a car, it may be a long bus ride to and from the office. However, there is typically someone else in the building who lives close enough to carpool.

Continue to mentor and support each Flyer to make the company and ourselves better. We have had a great history, and will have an even better future if you continue with your amazing leadership and foresight.

"Fantastic Internship Experience

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Radio Flyer as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Mentorship: Each intern is paired with a mentor who gives them projects straight off of their own to-do list so the work I received was important and implemented immediately.

Inclusive Culture: The working environment is great--people work hard and are serious about the jobs, but the company has a lot of fun too. Interns are included in all aspects of the job from company meetings, to anniversary parties giving a great opportunity to better understand the real world working environment.

Technical Skill Support: I learned a ton in my position about prototyping--gaining experience in the state of the art model shop, the manufacturing process--listening in on calls with the tooling and manufacturing company and even traveling to the rotomolding manufacturer, SolidWorks--creating and modifying CAD files for prototypes and costing, and about the different roles in the product design process--how a mechanical engineer's work interacts with the industrial designer, quality assessment, etc.

Cons

The only Con for me was the city itself. Born and raised a country girl I had a hard time adjusting to the traffic, but even that was manageable once I started biking into work

Keep up the great work! Maybe some non-pink girls toys (says the feminist in me)???

Great Company and Amazing Internship Program

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Radio Flyer as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Radio Flyer has a very strong internship program with numerous opportunities for interns to develop professional skills. Interns are truly integrated into the company. They are able to attend company meetings and events and participate in training sessions. Radio Flyer also has a great company culture. The employees are very friendly, talented, and fun!

Cons

The office location isn't the best but there is a parking lot for all employees.

5 years later and still love to brag about where I work

Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Radio Flyer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Radio Flyer is family owned and has maintained that environment 97 years later. My coworkers are an extension of my family and I appreciate them for not only because they are high performers and fully engaged, but also because we have fun together. We give back to our community, are fairily compensated, and have many opportunities to celebrate successes in and outside the office. Some extras you wouldn't expect? You can buy extra vacation, take 2 days off/year to volunteer, and we have a locker room and showers onsite.

Cons

Expectations of everyone at Radio Flyer is very high. I wouldn't note this as a con, however, if you are not committed and results driven, this would not be an appropriate environment for you.

Great Place to Have Fun, Learn and Grow

I have been working at Radio Flyer full-time

Pros

Fun culture, personal growth and development opportunities, awesome benefits, great group of co-workers, exposure to senior management, team-oriented projects, quality products

Cons

Location
    Some teams have limited advancement

Continue to hire those who can not only manage, but also lead teams.

Great place to work where people are fun, passionate, highly motivated, and proud to work at Radio Flyer!

I have been working at Radio Flyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people! Great healthcare benefits, 401K, paid holidays, paid vacation, and paid volunteer time off! The Radio Flyer Leadership Team emphasizes integrity and respect companywide. Radio Flyer also believes in giving back to the community by participating in service projects throughout the year.

Cons

Departments are very lean and the company is small so the workload is heavy and this can be difficult.

The company values are great! The Wagon U training is great! Adding more resources to some of the smaller teams could greatly benefit the entire company.

Great place to work with opportunity to learn a broad set of skills

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Radio Flyer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

RF is a small place to work (around 60 employees) so it's a great place to get exposure to lots of different departments. It's a very flat organization so you are able to interface directly with EVP's and the CEO regularly. The schedules are flexible, with daily flex time and summer hours - on top of ample vacation, floating holidays, and even paid time off to volunteer (2 days per year). They offer profit sharing, 401k match, bonuses, and competitive salaries. When you perform well, the opportunity to get promoted is there. The CEO is very caring, and drives a very respectful culture. It's a young work force at Radio Flyer, and a very fun place to work.

Cons

Since it's a small company, there's not a ton of 'title' growth that goes on. You have the opportunity to do lots of training (RF really supports its employees' continuing education - both internally at "Wagon U" and externally through conferences and other classes) and get exposure to lots of business scenarios that you never would at a larger company. At the same time, there isn't a ton of turnover and the senior management team is well established.

Keep setting aggressive growth goals, and hiring GREAT people!

Overall great place to work.

I have been working at Radio Flyer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for career development/training. Collaborative and fun environment. Great co-workers and a high level of accountability, which makes working with others and achieving goals a breeze. Rich benefits are a plus and of course working for a company that makes beloved kids products makes it even better.

Cons

Location on the border of the city is not perfect, but OK while living in the city or suburbs. It's nice there's a free parking lot.

Continue setting the vision that helps us be successful.

Great team, great culture

I have been working at Radio Flyer full-time

Pros

Collaborative and very fun work environment. High exposure to upper level management with the ability to impact many areas of the business. Challenging stretch projects keep the work new and fresh. Opportunities to grow personally and professionally through internal training. Overall a really fun place to work making great children's products.

Cons

Office location is less than ideal which leads to longer commute times. Overall the team has gotten leaner over the years meaning fewer people are shouldering more projects.

Don't lose sight of what makes Radio Flyer great (culture, fun, team environment), but we need more resources to deliver on our goals.

Great Place to Work If You can Fit the "Culture"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Radio Flyer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun People
    Summer Hours (for most employees)
    Fun company parties
    High level exposure

Cons

There is a very unique culture and if you don't fit in, you better shape up or ship out. They put a huge emphasis on how you do things more so than what you do/work you produce.

Keep an open mind. Just because a person doesn't perfectly fit the mold does not mean they do not do good work.