Radio One

Radio One President, CEO, Treasurer, and Director Alfred C. Liggins III
Alfred C. Liggins III

Unplugged

I have been working at Radio One

Pros

I really enjoyed working at News 92 FM. Unfortunately, the ownership, which specializes in urban music, gave up on the news radio format three years after the station went on the air and laid off 47 people.

Cons

I have no negative comments about Radio One. I just wish the company had hired more experienced management from the start to assess what was needed to make the station a success on the air.

Not rewarding, no opportunities for growth

Former Employee - Promotions in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Promotions in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Radio One part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Networking opportunities

Schedule flexibility

Free stuff

Opportunity to work on personal stuff during "down" time

Meeting celebs and other notable people

Cons

Company does not value employee growth and does not invest in staff's professionally development.

support staff does not get upper management support.

There are no real growth opportunities for non managers. All "Mentor Programs" and growth opportunities are for the corporate level staff, upper management and Sales Staff. Departments like Promotions and Programming or Part timers don't get the same opportunities.

There are no merit increases and if so it's not competitive or reflective of your work.

You work overtime and late days /nights all the time. You don't own your weekends. You are always on call. Your days off and vacations are not respected, people still call you.

There is absolutely no healthly balance or separation of work and life.

Women are not respected in their roles. Male egos run rampant. Upper management are mostly male and female staff sometimes have to be louder and bolder in order get ideas respected and heard.

Complaints about male inappropriate behavior is not taking seriously. Usually discussed "off the record" so that no real resolution happens.

Help your employees grow and develop.
    Pay a competitive wage

Broadcasting facility

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Radio One

Pros

Great place for entry-level positions, with a relaxed, fun atmosphere.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for advancement.

This company is like Blockbuster, right before Netflix and Redbox became the norm. . . . .

I worked at Radio One

Pros

While the luster of Radio is slowly fading, it is still somewhat of a viable platform to promote your product.

Cons

The problem with Radio One is that they are disconnected from their target audience. You have managers who run the company like it's 1990, and not 2015. They have no clue as to how the industry is moving. In today's world; Media & Tech companies go hand & hand; with apps like Pandora & Tune In. Nowadays, internet bloggers, who have no promotion, are more popular than most radio personalities. And even if you have an internet presence, which they don't; your sales team is ill equipped to sale it.

My advice to management would be to take a genuine interest in every department; not just the celebrity aspects. Celebrities come and go; they are like trendy clothes you wear one year and give to goodwill the next. But media companies should be like the body in that you constantly have to keep exercising it.

My experience at Radio One was average.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Radio One

Pros

Radio One provides you with the tools you need to be successful at your job.

Cons

Radio One does not offer many opportunities for growth.

No advice.

Radio One is the dumps

Current Employee - Online Editor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Online Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Radio One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Black-owned company. Interactive One and TV One has promise. Radio One, not so much.

Cons

Horrible management. Penny pinching company. Not very forward thinking.

A good starting point for a career in entertainment radio

I have been working at Radio One part-time

Pros

This was a very good starting point for a career in entertainment radio. The work environment is supportive and people are willing to give you opportunities if you show you can work hard

Cons

Upper management is completely out of touch with what goes on at the ground level.

I would say management needs to find a way to better communicate with those who are working at the ground level.

A good company to work for with state of the art technology in on air studio equipment with the best engineers.

Former Employee - On Air Personality-Announcer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - On Air Personality-Announcer in Washington, DC

I worked at Radio One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great personell and overall energy of the people work together at st
    State of the art technology in studio equipment
    Best sound on the dial.top notch Engineering teams.

Cons

Pay raises and slow to promote advancement opportunities.

Look inward to advance employees whose talent and experience can be utilized to advance inside of the corporation.

Bad experience as a entry level worker straight out of college

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Radio One full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It can be fun at times going to concerts meeting DJ's with so much creativity.
    Also it is fun because every day is diffrent
    The people at the radio station are really nice, fun

Cons

The managment in my opinion could use some work. Coming straight from college there was no structure are good training they kind of throw you to the wolves. Then when you ask about possibly watching them cold call to help they say they can't do your job for you. Or when you ask where you can get more information or research on digitial assets we have someone said "your grown you have to just look it up"

I think it's important to have good leaders. Good leaders that can help mold you into all that you can be and not tear you down to nothing. I think they should have a training program where they can show you how they do business because it's a lot to learn starting out. Also I think they should not show favoritism and compare you to AE's that are handed accounts so they can see if their strategy really works or not.

Moving up the corporate ladder!

Current Employee - Digital Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Radio One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In a short two years, I've been promoted 3 times since my internship! They recognize hard work and dedication as a vehicle for successful employees. Upper management WANTS you to grow and succeed. Open door policy is active and helpful!

Cons

I see a lot of negative feedback in previous reviews, but there are lots of employees that I have come across that really dont deserve the promotions and pay that they desire. Because of work ethics and taking advantage of company perks.
    But that is not or should not be a reflection of the company as a hold. Change yourself and the opportunities DO come.

90 policy should really be enforced for new employees.

Radio One Photos