RadioShack Reviews

1. One hell of a review

Current Employee - Full-Time Sales Associate in Norridge, IL
    Current Employee - Full-Time Sales Associate in Norridge, IL

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

Working with a respective team who are well aware of innovative technology.
    For the most, learning about technology is really beneficiary, and teaching customer or other individuals of the product is rewarding.
    Management are underrated, but the company did have a lot of growth.

Cons

Pay
    The simple fact that commission rate decreased during a two year span.

Advice to Management

Pay workers for what they deserve, and not take advantage of them.

2. Enjoyed the work. Poor corporate structure

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

Great work, mostly good people, good training, lots of very cool new techie things to sell. fun place to work until you have to deal with corporate.

Cons

The pay structure if you are in a store that does not sell many phones. Corporate management is disconnected to the actual needs of the employees and customers. Corporate is very confining and limiting.

Advice to Management

Listen. .. let loose some control... truly allow managers to manage

3. fully run and operate a retail store, manage inventory and associates, balance p&l every month, ordering and receiving

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

can't think of any

Cons

mirco manage, poor training, over worked management (48 hour min in some areas)

Advice to Management

pay associates what they deserve, too much internal theft due to poor compensation and constant threatening of jobs

5. A Company in Free Fall

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Get to spend all day around technology
    -Laid back environment
    -Decent training in electronics, you get to learn (both through training and experience) a lot about technology and electronics.

Cons

-Management utterly confused, frequently given conflicting or unclear goals
    -commission structure changed 5 times in the under 2 years I was there
    -Company was in a free fall while I was there, (stock price lost 200% of value) so management and employees were always jumping ship.
    -Sub-par hiring practices. I worked with lots of smart people who enjoyed technology and were knowledgeable. I also worked with just as many people who knew nothing about technology, didn't care to learn, and were not enamored of customer service or following through with any sales job.

Advice to Management

Do something drastic with the company, the business model is outdated. The stores look tired; many haven't received an interior design upgrade since the eighties. Be clear with your employees as to what you want, how we're going to do it and how we are going to get there.

Please, hire better people. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent doing other people's jobs, saving their sales from unhappy customers, and general cleaning up.

6. A Company in Freefall

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's nice being around cool technology if you like that stuff. A very laid back working environment most days (except during iPhone launches)

Cons

The commission structure changed 5 times in the 2 years I was there. Management excelled at stressing one goal, then reversing course and stressing the opposite of that goal a few months later. For example, first it was phones, phones, phones and then it became "sell the whole store! Don't just do phones". It is not encouraging working at a place where they post the company stock price next to the employee login. Then the stock price plunges from 4 bucks to .40 cents.

Advice to Management

It's too late for any advice. I read this morning that the vultures are already circling. (i.e Private Equity firms looking to sell off the parts)

It went Okay.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on your cell phone bill
    You learn a lot of useless talents
    Coworkers are generally great people
    Low stress, kind of
    Commission

Cons

The customers can be pretty slow
    Commission structure changes a lot
    There are either too little or too many hours
    Lacks consistency
    Workload can be tedious and over bearing

Advice to Management

Please get yourself figured out and stop punishing employees

8. Great for students.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Homewood, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Homewood, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a chance to learn a lot about technology. They activate cell phones for multiple carriers, and have a lot of technical merchandise. You also have a big responsibility working in a small store. There's opportunity for advancement.

Cons

DMs are paid to be extremely aggravating (at least in the Chicago district). If you're promoted to store manager, you are required to work 6 days out the week.

Advice to Management

See the value in top performers. Don't be so quick to fire people for unintended mistakes.

9. It's okay if you only work here part time. Besides that it's kind of boring, not many people come in.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Burbank, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Burbank, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get experience for other jobs.
    Most customers are nice.
    You get a decent discount on most things in the store.

Cons

They're always changing how the store looks.
    No room to move up in the company.
    Have to really push products on customers.

10. Not a job you want to stay with for a long time.

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Probably the only good thing about working here is knowing the fact that people come to YOU for help. this is a great environment for you to be yourself (that's if customer service is your thing) having that one on one experience is what makes you feel good about your work and is probably the only thing worth working for because commission is so bad. Besides the extra perks here and there like discounts on contract wireless carriers and 50% off store brand merchandise there is nothing much more to brag about..

Cons

I don't even know where to start. I guess I can start off with the pay. The base pay is minimum wage and commission i believe last time i heard was 1% of whatever contract wireless device you would sell, so if a galaxy s5 is retail value at $649 you're pretty much only getting 6 bucks out of that phone sale. You can get the idea on how commission is paid by radioshack. You would think that a sales associate would make more than minimum wage if they are expected to sell all 3 major wireless carriers and be knowledgeable about every single item in the store from soldering to audio cable. That just comes to show how radioshack treats their employees. They demand and demand but don't give back. I would not recommend working here if you work for a living. Unless you're only using this job as a step stool to work for big companies like apple, Verizon or sprint i recommend not to work at radioshack.

Advice to Management

Instead of figuring out ways to make more money by being greedy figure out a way to keep your employees happy and dedicated to work. Maybe you guys should research a bit on how some major successful companies like Southwest airlines keeps making raising profits every single year.

No recognition

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Probably the only good thing about working here is the discounts you get on your phone/s. You can have one for each carrier. Depending on your relationship with your coworkers it might be fun, and just the overall retail experience.

Cons

Everything. So much work with absolutely no recognition. No raises EVER unless you're a manager and get promoted to a higher volume store. They're constantly changing the commission and every time they changed it, it was worse. Your job is always being threatened. The turn over rate is ridiculous. It's just not worth the stress for minimum wage. If you get hired here I would suggest getting a couple months of experience, then applying with the actual cell phone carriers. Their pay rate is at least three dollars more per hour in my city.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the policies/pay rate every three months. Stop firing long time employees for stupid reasons without conducting proper investigations. If you're going to preach "Lead by example" you should start doing it.