RadioShack

2.4
1,573 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 144 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no concern for their employees unless they are chosen favorites (in 161 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 139 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Company in Free Fall

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Get to spend all day around technology
    -Laid back environment
    -Decent training in electronics, you get to learn (both through training and experience) a lot about technology and electronics.

Cons

-Management utterly confused, frequently given conflicting or unclear goals
    -commission structure changed 5 times in the under 2 years I was there
    -Company was in a free fall while I was there, (stock price lost 200% of value) so management and employees were always jumping ship.
    -Sub-par hiring practices. I worked with lots of smart people who enjoyed technology and were knowledgeable. I also worked with just as many people who knew nothing about technology, didn't care to learn, and were not enamored of customer service or following through with any sales job.

Do something drastic with the company, the business model is outdated. The stores look tired; many haven't received an interior design upgrade since the eighties. Be clear with your employees as to what you want, how we're going to do it and how we are going to get there.

Please, hire better people. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent doing other people's jobs, saving their sales from unhappy customers, and general cleaning up.

A Company in Freefall

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's nice being around cool technology if you like that stuff. A very laid back working environment most days (except during iPhone launches)

Cons

The commission structure changed 5 times in the 2 years I was there. Management excelled at stressing one goal, then reversing course and stressing the opposite of that goal a few months later. For example, first it was phones, phones, phones and then it became "sell the whole store! Don't just do phones". It is not encouraging working at a place where they post the company stock price next to the employee login. Then the stock price plunges from 4 bucks to .40 cents.

It's too late for any advice. I read this morning that the vultures are already circling. (i.e Private Equity firms looking to sell off the parts)

It went Okay.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on your cell phone bill
    You learn a lot of useless talents
    Coworkers are generally great people
    Low stress, kind of
    Commission

Cons

The customers can be pretty slow
    Commission structure changes a lot
    There are either too little or too many hours
    Lacks consistency
    Workload can be tedious and over bearing

Please get yourself figured out and stop punishing employees

Great for students.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Homewood, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Homewood, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get a chance to learn a lot about technology. They activate cell phones for multiple carriers, and have a lot of technical merchandise. You also have a big responsibility working in a small store. There's opportunity for advancement.

Cons

DMs are paid to be extremely aggravating (at least in the Chicago district). If you're promoted to store manager, you are required to work 6 days out the week.

See the value in top performers. Don't be so quick to fire people for unintended mistakes.

It's okay if you only work here part time. Besides that it's kind of boring, not many people come in.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Burbank, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Burbank, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get experience for other jobs.
    Most customers are nice.
    You get a decent discount on most things in the store.

Cons

They're always changing how the store looks.
    No room to move up in the company.
    Have to really push products on customers.

Not a job you want to stay with for a long time.

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Probably the only good thing about working here is knowing the fact that people come to YOU for help. this is a great environment for you to be yourself (that's if customer service is your thing) having that one on one experience is what makes you feel good about your work and is probably the only thing worth working for because commission is so bad. Besides the extra perks here and there like discounts on contract wireless carriers and 50% off store brand merchandise there is nothing much more to brag about..

Cons

I don't even know where to start. I guess I can start off with the pay. The base pay is minimum wage and commission i believe last time i heard was 1% of whatever contract wireless device you would sell, so if a galaxy s5 is retail value at $649 you're pretty much only getting 6 bucks out of that phone sale. You can get the idea on how commission is paid by radioshack. You would think that a sales associate would make more than minimum wage if they are expected to sell all 3 major wireless carriers and be knowledgeable about every single item in the store from soldering to audio cable. That just comes to show how radioshack treats their employees. They demand and demand but don't give back. I would not recommend working here if you work for a living. Unless you're only using this job as a step stool to work for big companies like apple, Verizon or sprint i recommend not to work at radioshack.

Instead of figuring out ways to make more money by being greedy figure out a way to keep your employees happy and dedicated to work. Maybe you guys should research a bit on how some major successful companies like Southwest airlines keeps making raising profits every single year.

To much expectation for little pay

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got to see the new things as they came out.
    Good employee discount and concession promotions and discounts for the contract carriers.

Cons

Long hours for store manager (60-80) a week. Non-exempt managers over time pay is horrible. Over load on tasks and impossible deadlines. 6 day work weeks year round. Life revolves around being at the store. Required to work all weekends and all holidays.

Work with store managers to get realistic dead lines and be clear on what is wanted and not leave us in the dark 99% of the time. And have it so managers have a reason and want to work more than 48 hours a week with better salaries and for non-exempt managers better overtime pay.

No recognition

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Probably the only good thing about working here is the discounts you get on your phone/s. You can have one for each carrier. Depending on your relationship with your coworkers it might be fun, and just the overall retail experience.

Cons

Everything. So much work with absolutely no recognition. No raises EVER unless you're a manager and get promoted to a higher volume store. They're constantly changing the commission and every time they changed it, it was worse. Your job is always being threatened. The turn over rate is ridiculous. It's just not worth the stress for minimum wage. If you get hired here I would suggest getting a couple months of experience, then applying with the actual cell phone carriers. Their pay rate is at least three dollars more per hour in my city.

Stop changing the policies/pay rate every three months. Stop firing long time employees for stupid reasons without conducting proper investigations. If you're going to preach "Lead by example" you should start doing it.

As a Store Manager you learn many facets of running a business.

Former Employee - Radioshack Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Radioshack Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pros of working at this company....You meet people from all walks of life and create opportunities to "network". You also learn to work within a given budget and how to maximize profits! Profits equal Bonus for this is a commission driven business.

Cons

Typically, new store managers are given the lowest budget stores with high inventory losses...which of course can affect your profits....and therefore your commissions.

Often new store managers are promoted or given a store based on their consistent high sales performance. Very little training is focused on the operations side of the business; which is just as important as the sales. More focus should be given on handling the operations side of the business to produce more rounded store managers....and therefore highers sales forecasts!

RadioShack is not paying employees worth even though I love what Radioshack does for its customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in West Dundee, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in West Dundee, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn to be a cashier, sell contract and prepaid phones, get sales experience, and learn about some tech stuff I would have never learned otherwise.

Cons

The pay is not worth the sacrifice. I have had to handle an entire in mall store by myself more than a few times, and have had to handle a few manager duties. I don't get paid for all the extra things I do. Many customers come in and and have to wait because there are very few of us at the store during big rush hours and we have to handle them all. Just last night I handle three customers at once. Once Contract phone, One return, and running a line for people buying simple products. The worst part is our three immediate management higher ups all left the company in the past two weeks. When district manager, regional manager, and my own manager leave all at once that usually means I got to book it out of their. Currently hanging in there for my coworkers but there is only so much one person can take.

some of our products are very over priced and our competition online and a few other major competitors offer more at their stores. Don't like that I have to on a regular basis send our customers elsewhere for a product we don't have in stock when they want it that same day.