RadioShack Reviews in Chicago, IL

2.4
1,415 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 141 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no concern for their employees unless they are chosen favorites (in 151 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 139 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Faat paced fast cash

Current Employee - Target Mobile Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Target Mobile Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

fun flexible hours great new manager working experience

Cons

constantly consistant needs more for what we do

neeeds more incenitives to keep us happy

A good company.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Munster, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Munster, IN

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

All of my co-workers and managers were very helpful in learning about the many product we offered and how to use the computer system.

Cons

There was way too many training videos and worksheets. It took me about 3 weeks to get through all the training materials because I had to keep stopping to help customers in between.

RadioShack was a very nice company to work for, the manager and other employees were very nice. I think RadioShack is doing a good job of letting people know they have expanded their products they offer.

A determine sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Willowbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Willowbrook, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good hours and commission loved it until manager got jealous

Cons

Company will stab u in the back!!

It's okay if you only work here part time. Besides that it's kind of boring, not many people come in.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Burbank, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Burbank, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get experience for other jobs.
    Most customers are nice.
    You get a decent discount on most things in the store.

Cons

They're always changing how the store looks.
    No room to move up in the company.
    Have to really push products on customers.

As a Store Manager you learn many facets of running a business.

Former Employee - Radioshack Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Radioshack Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pros of working at this company....You meet people from all walks of life and create opportunities to "network". You also learn to work within a given budget and how to maximize profits! Profits equal Bonus for this is a commission driven business.

Cons

Typically, new store managers are given the lowest budget stores with high inventory losses...which of course can affect your profits....and therefore your commissions.

Often new store managers are promoted or given a store based on their consistent high sales performance. Very little training is focused on the operations side of the business; which is just as important as the sales. More focus should be given on handling the operations side of the business to produce more rounded store managers....and therefore highers sales forecasts!

It's definitely not a career job, but it will get you through until you find one.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It can be a pleasant place to work at, depending on the location. You will meet people with different skills ranging from great sales to knowing electronics in depth.

Cons

The hourly rate is really restrictive, forcing a person who needs to survive on their own to put in a lot of hours....if there are any. It's definitely a company that is effected by the economy and it shows.

There is a need for full time workers who know what they're talking about, but unfortunately the majority of the people who are hired are not knowledgeable of too much other than cell phones.

Politics

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a sales representative it was fun, competitive, flexible, challenging, teammates if the management implemented this in their circle.

Cons

As a sales manager after some years it came down to who have you knew and had who were your comrades to get to the next level and you will wait until upper management has changed the culture to not promote from within the talent pool anymore since all these other companies have been shutting down.

Do not slip on the banana peel since it is an At Will Employment Company like so many others. Have an education backup plan so you are an indispensable asset.

no freedom

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

discounts
    employee wireless plans
    jean uniform
    learning about gadgets

Cons

lack of compassion for personal lives
    no support from regional manager or then district manager at the time
    over worked under paid
    always cutting hours forcing managers to work more hours
    if you complain youre placed on the black list
    no room for growth

i was fired without any prior write ups as a assoicate,asst manager or store manager

you should really consider a five day work week you would get better results from your managers

No recognition

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Probably the only good thing about working here is the discounts you get on your phone/s. You can have one for each carrier. Depending on your relationship with your coworkers it might be fun, and just the overall retail experience.

Cons

Everything. So much work with absolutely no recognition. No raises EVER unless you're a manager and get promoted to a higher volume store. They're constantly changing the commission and every time they changed it, it was worse. Your job is always being threatened. The turn over rate is ridiculous. It's just not worth the stress for minimum wage. If you get hired here I would suggest getting a couple months of experience, then applying with the actual cell phone carriers. Their pay rate is at least three dollars more per hour in my city.

Stop changing the policies/pay rate every three months. Stop firing long time employees for stupid reasons without conducting proper investigations. If you're going to preach "Lead by example" you should start doing it.

RadioShack is not paying employees worth even though I love what Radioshack does for its customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in West Dundee, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in West Dundee, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn to be a cashier, sell contract and prepaid phones, get sales experience, and learn about some tech stuff I would have never learned otherwise.

Cons

The pay is not worth the sacrifice. I have had to handle an entire in mall store by myself more than a few times, and have had to handle a few manager duties. I don't get paid for all the extra things I do. Many customers come in and and have to wait because there are very few of us at the store during big rush hours and we have to handle them all. Just last night I handle three customers at once. Once Contract phone, One return, and running a line for people buying simple products. The worst part is our three immediate management higher ups all left the company in the past two weeks. When district manager, regional manager, and my own manager leave all at once that usually means I got to book it out of their. Currently hanging in there for my coworkers but there is only so much one person can take.

some of our products are very over priced and our competition online and a few other major competitors offer more at their stores. Don't like that I have to on a regular basis send our customers elsewhere for a product we don't have in stock when they want it that same day.