RadioShack Reviews in Chicago, IL

2.4
1,369 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 135 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is horrible upper management does not really care about the associates (in 140 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 131 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Faat paced fast cash

Current Employee - Target Mobile Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Target Mobile Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

fun flexible hours great new manager working experience

Cons

constantly consistant needs more for what we do

neeeds more incenitives to keep us happy

A good company.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Munster, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Munster, IN

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

All of my co-workers and managers were very helpful in learning about the many product we offered and how to use the computer system.

Cons

There was way too many training videos and worksheets. It took me about 3 weeks to get through all the training materials because I had to keep stopping to help customers in between.

RadioShack was a very nice company to work for, the manager and other employees were very nice. I think RadioShack is doing a good job of letting people know they have expanded their products they offer.

A determine sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Willowbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Willowbrook, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good hours and commission loved it until manager got jealous

Cons

Company will stab u in the back!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As a Store Manager you learn many facets of running a business.

Former Employee - Radioshack Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Radioshack Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pros of working at this company....You meet people from all walks of life and create opportunities to "network". You also learn to work within a given budget and how to maximize profits! Profits equal Bonus for this is a commission driven business.

Cons

Typically, new store managers are given the lowest budget stores with high inventory losses...which of course can affect your profits....and therefore your commissions.

Often new store managers are promoted or given a store based on their consistent high sales performance. Very little training is focused on the operations side of the business; which is just as important as the sales. More focus should be given on handling the operations side of the business to produce more rounded store managers....and therefore highers sales forecasts!

It's definitely not a career job, but it will get you through until you find one.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time for less than a year

Pros

It can be a pleasant place to work at, depending on the location. You will meet people with different skills ranging from great sales to knowing electronics in depth.

Cons

The hourly rate is really restrictive, forcing a person who needs to survive on their own to put in a lot of hours....if there are any. It's definitely a company that is effected by the economy and it shows.

There is a need for full time workers who know what they're talking about, but unfortunately the majority of the people who are hired are not knowledgeable of too much other than cell phones.

Politics

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As a sales representative it was fun, competitive, flexible, challenging, teammates if the management implemented this in their circle.

Cons

As a sales manager after some years it came down to who have you knew and had who were your comrades to get to the next level and you will wait until upper management has changed the culture to not promote from within the talent pool anymore since all these other companies have been shutting down.

Do not slip on the banana peel since it is an At Will Employment Company like so many others. Have an education backup plan so you are an indispensable asset.

no freedom

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

discounts
    employee wireless plans
    jean uniform
    learning about gadgets

Cons

lack of compassion for personal lives
    no support from regional manager or then district manager at the time
    over worked under paid
    always cutting hours forcing managers to work more hours
    if you complain youre placed on the black list
    no room for growth

i was fired without any prior write ups as a assoicate,asst manager or store manager

you should really consider a five day work week you would get better results from your managers

RadioShack is not paying employees worth even though I love what Radioshack does for its customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time  in  West Dundee, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in West Dundee, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn to be a cashier, sell contract and prepaid phones, get sales experience, and learn about some tech stuff I would have never learned otherwise.

Cons

The pay is not worth the sacrifice. I have had to handle an entire in mall store by myself more than a few times, and have had to handle a few manager duties. I don't get paid for all the extra things I do. Many customers come in and and have to wait because there are very few of us at the store during big rush hours and we have to handle them all. Just last night I handle three customers at once. Once Contract phone, One return, and running a line for people buying simple products. The worst part is our three immediate management higher ups all left the company in the past two weeks. When district manager, regional manager, and my own manager leave all at once that usually means I got to book it out of their. Currently hanging in there for my coworkers but there is only so much one person can take.

some of our products are very over priced and our competition online and a few other major competitors offer more at their stores. Don't like that I have to on a regular basis send our customers elsewhere for a product we don't have in stock when they want it that same day.

Pay People a living wage and show some respect to them!!

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed selling consumer electronics; I enjoyed the competitive atmosphere and I enjoyed managing my "own" business with some autonomy. I actually loved what I did... selling electronics, running a small store, managing a staff. I enjoyed looking at our numbers and figuring out (with my employees) how we could increased profits, boost dollar-per-ticket; things like that. It's was a good challenge and it was satisfying.

Cons

Salary is absolutely horrible for most managers. Store managers are expected to work 55-60 hours a week. At smaller stores, managers wind up making about 10 bucks an hour. Bonuses amount to 200-300 bucks a month.. if you qualify for them. Most don't. Manager pay for larger stores isn't quite that bad... up to 60-70K.. but there are few stores that large and those managers tend to hang around.

Salaries, bonuses, and commissions of managers and sales associates have fallen dramatically over the years. As a sales associate back in the late early 00's, I was making 35-45K. In my last year as a Senior store manager, I was making 45K when I reached 65k at one point. And I kept working those 60 hour weeks.

As a whole, upper management and district/regional managers are either incompetent or simply running scared. They don't know what to do with this company and what kind of direction to give it. They pay more attention to the position of a stapler in the desk than the really important parts of the bussiness. I'm talking about 572 and the rest of the region.

Sales plan numbers often make no sense, and it's hard to see very good managers struggling to make unrealistic numbers.

Stop shoving cell phones down the throat of every customer that walks in the door. Look at stores that work over time and figure out what those stores and those managers are doing right. More incentive pay, particularly for store managers in those smaller stores. Competent store managers should not be making 10 bucks and hour and working 60 hours a week. You can expect that people in this position are going to seriously think about leaving the company, even in an economic downturn.

Need to work on training of new Manager program.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Being able to share mobile ideals with customers and staff.

Cons

Not getting paid enough for the job being done.

Put more into training new managers.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!