RadioShack

RadioShack Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated May 23, 2014

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca

Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Cell Phone Carrier Reps were very helpful and friendly(in 134 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount(in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is horrible upper management does not really care about the associates(in 138 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold(in 131 reviews)

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Faat paced fast cash

Target Mobile Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosfun flexible hours great new manager working experience

Consconstantly consistant needs more for what we do

Advice to Senior Managementneeeds more incenitives to keep us happy

A good company.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Munster, IN

ProsAll of my co-workers and managers were very helpful in learning about the many product we offered and how to use the computer system.

ConsThere was way too many training videos and worksheets. It took me about 3 weeks to get through all the training materials because I had to keep stopping to help customers in between.

Advice to Senior ManagementRadioShack was a very nice company to work for, the manager and other employees were very nice. I think RadioShack is doing a good job of letting people know they have expanded their products they offer.

A determine sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Willowbrook, IL

ProsGood hours and commission loved it until manager got jealous

ConsCompany will stab u in the back!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's definitely not a career job, but it will get you through until you find one.

Sales Associate - Part Time (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt can be a pleasant place to work at, depending on the location. You will meet people with different skills ranging from great sales to knowing electronics in depth.

ConsThe hourly rate is really restrictive, forcing a person who needs to survive on their own to put in a lot of hours....if there are any. It's definitely a company that is effected by the economy and it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a need for full time workers who know what they're talking about, but unfortunately the majority of the people who are hired are not knowledgeable of too much other than cell phones.

Politics

Store Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAs a sales representative it was fun, competitive, flexible, challenging, teammates if the management implemented this in their circle.

ConsAs a sales manager after some years it came down to who have you knew and had who were your comrades to get to the next level and you will wait until upper management has changed the culture to not promote from within the talent pool anymore since all these other companies have been shutting down.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not slip on the banana peel since it is an At Will Employment Company like so many others. Have an education backup plan so you are an indispensable asset.

no freedom

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosdiscounts
    employee wireless plans
    jean uniform
    learning about gadgets

Conslack of compassion for personal lives
    no support from regional manager or then district manager at the time
    over worked under paid
    always cutting hours forcing managers to work more hours
    if you complain youre placed on the black list
    no room for growth

i was fired without any prior write ups as a assoicate,asst manager or store manager

Advice to Senior Managementyou should really consider a five day work week you would get better results from your managers

Need to work on training of new Manager program.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBeing able to share mobile ideals with customers and staff.

ConsNot getting paid enough for the job being done.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more into training new managers.

Too much work not enough pay.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSome pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount.

ConsToo much work not enough pay.

Low Wage, Poor Management and an Outdated Tech Model

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Morris, IL

ProsFlexible Hours
    The Opportunity to Learn New Information about Technology
    Discounts (If you stay long enough)
    Negligible Commissions

ConsPoor Upper Management
    Products in store were novel, at best, and unlikely to sell at worst
    Management was consistently profane, even in front of customers and scheduled employee hours based on the manager's own personal obligations
    Paid Minimum Wage for Part-Time, but pressed to perform Managerial duties, such as store closings and money deposits, without any increase in compensation or the provision of benefits.
    A Dying Franchise

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure how Management is chosen for the Chicagoland area, but they should be required to undergo training in professionalism and proper attire. It's neither acceptable nor productive for managers to arrive at work wearing whatever they choose, swear in front of the customers and insult their employees and then require those same employees to be the utmost professionals at all times. Furthermore, products sold in stores need to be relevant (i.e. don't be selling old cassette players and cheap novelties and especially not PS3 bundles when everybody wants the PS4. We lost MAJOR sales because of their absence!) Also, serious consideration needs to be given to the equipment and software being used in stores. When an electronics store is using 10 year old computers with Windows XP that freeze up all the time instead of Up-to-Date equipment, that sends a poor message to customers. Lastly, in the same vein, please update the Radioshack POS system so that it's a little more efficient' it's way overdue for a serious makeover.

a job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood place to get some work

ConsThere are politics everywhere, RS is no different
    dont believe their promises or what they say
    changes compensation all the time

Advice to Senior Managementthey rather choose someone they like with no experience or skills than promote someone right for the job.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!