RadioShack

RadioShack Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated May 23, 2014

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca

Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Cell Phone Carrier Reps were very helpful and friendly(in 134 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount(in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is horrible upper management does not really care about the associates(in 138 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold(in 131 reviews)

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Need to work on training of new Manager program.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBeing able to share mobile ideals with customers and staff.

ConsNot getting paid enough for the job being done.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more into training new managers.

Too much work not enough pay.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSome pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount.

ConsToo much work not enough pay.

Low Wage, Poor Management and an Outdated Tech Model

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Morris, IL

ProsFlexible Hours
    The Opportunity to Learn New Information about Technology
    Discounts (If you stay long enough)
    Negligible Commissions

ConsPoor Upper Management
    Products in store were novel, at best, and unlikely to sell at worst
    Management was consistently profane, even in front of customers and scheduled employee hours based on the manager's own personal obligations
    Paid Minimum Wage for Part-Time, but pressed to perform Managerial duties, such as store closings and money deposits, without any increase in compensation or the provision of benefits.
    A Dying Franchise

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure how Management is chosen for the Chicagoland area, but they should be required to undergo training in professionalism and proper attire. It's neither acceptable nor productive for managers to arrive at work wearing whatever they choose, swear in front of the customers and insult their employees and then require those same employees to be the utmost professionals at all times. Furthermore, products sold in stores need to be relevant (i.e. don't be selling old cassette players and cheap novelties and especially not PS3 bundles when everybody wants the PS4. We lost MAJOR sales because of their absence!) Also, serious consideration needs to be given to the equipment and software being used in stores. When an electronics store is using 10 year old computers with Windows XP that freeze up all the time instead of Up-to-Date equipment, that sends a poor message to customers. Lastly, in the same vein, please update the Radioshack POS system so that it's a little more efficient' it's way overdue for a serious makeover.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked & Underpaid

District Sales Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFor employees, most stores are atmospheres to expand on selling capabilities and customer relationship building practices.

ConsStore Managers are required to work too many hours; 48 a week, but more often than not, end up working an average of 52 hours, leaving little time for a home or family life.

Company is downsizing leaving a lot of people out of work

The training program leaves employees unprepared

Overwhelming pressure to meet unrealistic sales quotas with implicit threat of job loss that

Pushy sales tactics to sell "insurance" on almost all products that are sold in the stores, but are difficult and a nuisance to collect on if the need arises

Turnover rate is terribly high due to low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I fear for the future of this company.

A Desperate & Dying Company

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Hammond, IN

ProsYou will most definitely learn how to sell items on the floor, like it or not.

ConsRadioShack cuts corners in the most obvious of ways. They under staff stores to save money, over work the staff, (especially lower management meant to lead the sales team) they applaud team destructive sales tactics etc

Advice to Senior ManagementUs sales associates actually pay attention to the neglect that upper management at RadioShack have towards their employees. We also have voices.

It's definitely not a career job, but it will get you through until you find one.

Sales Associate - Part Time (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt can be a pleasant place to work at, depending on the location. You will meet people with different skills ranging from great sales to knowing electronics in depth.

ConsThe hourly rate is really restrictive, forcing a person who needs to survive on their own to put in a lot of hours....if there are any. It's definitely a company that is effected by the economy and it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a need for full time workers who know what they're talking about, but unfortunately the majority of the people who are hired are not knowledgeable of too much other than cell phones.

A determine sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Willowbrook, IL

ProsGood hours and commission loved it until manager got jealous

ConsCompany will stab u in the back!!

smh at radio shack

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Proswhen I first started and made thirty dollars off each new line we sold those were happydays

Conswe only get 2percent off each ticket they really have took are commission away

Advice to Senior Managementneeds to be more organized

a job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood place to get some work

ConsThere are politics everywhere, RS is no different
    dont believe their promises or what they say
    changes compensation all the time

Advice to Senior Managementthey rather choose someone they like with no experience or skills than promote someone right for the job.

It was a lot of work for the amount of money that you were paid.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey offer get cellphone plans to their associates. They have good store discounts for employees. The schedule is more flexible for associates than for managers.

ConsThey always wanted more. The company wanted you to shove cellphone sales down each customers throat. You were consistently pressured to increase sales. Pushing cell phones on each and every customer even if you knew that you sold that person a phone 2 weeks ago and they aren't eligible for a new phone for a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffering better customer service doesn't mean pressuring each and every customer who can in the door.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!