RadioShack Reviews in Chicago, IL

2.4
1,445 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 135 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is horrible upper management does not really care about the associates (in 140 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 131 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Desperate & Dying Company

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Hammond, IN

I worked at RadioShack part-time for less than a year

Pros

You will most definitely learn how to sell items on the floor, like it or not.

Cons

RadioShack cuts corners in the most obvious of ways. They under staff stores to save money, over work the staff, (especially lower management meant to lead the sales team) they applaud team destructive sales tactics etc

Us sales associates actually pay attention to the neglect that upper management at RadioShack have towards their employees. We also have voices.

A determine sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Willowbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Willowbrook, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good hours and commission loved it until manager got jealous

Cons

Company will stab u in the back!!

a job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to get some work

Cons

There are politics everywhere, RS is no different
    dont believe their promises or what they say
    changes compensation all the time

they rather choose someone they like with no experience or skills than promote someone right for the job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

smh at radio shack

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

when I first started and made thirty dollars off each new line we sold those were happydays

Cons

we only get 2percent off each ticket they really have took are commission away

needs to be more organized

It was a lot of work for the amount of money that you were paid.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They offer get cellphone plans to their associates. They have good store discounts for employees. The schedule is more flexible for associates than for managers.

Cons

They always wanted more. The company wanted you to shove cellphone sales down each customers throat. You were consistently pressured to increase sales. Pushing cell phones on each and every customer even if you knew that you sold that person a phone 2 weeks ago and they aren't eligible for a new phone for a few years.

Offering better customer service doesn't mean pressuring each and every customer who can in the door.

Stay away!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Contract phones at a discount
    50% discount ONLY on radioshack merchandise, which do not carry many things as it is.

Cons

First off they tell you that this is a pay plus commission job and that if everyone of your team members reach their monthly numbers (which consist of cell phones, batteries and warranties) you will get a $0.50 raise to your minimum raise. However upper management ALWAYS found an excuse not to pay the employees a little extra. Plus your commission always stays the same, matter of fact, for every cell phone you sell, you MUST sell a warranty with it as well as $50 dollars worth of accessories. IF the customer isnt going to purchase all this which sometimes equals to more than the actual phone cost, your employees as well as managers tell you to tell the customer we dont have it in stock. Happens every time I had a customer like this, my manager wouldnt let me sell something without any attachment or warranties attached because it "hurt" our overall numbers. Regardless for every contract cellphone you sold you received 14$. Might seem a lot but trust me when the store is dead and you only sold 3 contracts per week at part time, it isn't worth it. Prepaid phones are the same thing except you get 7$ as commission. They want you to sell batteries and warranties to EVERYTHING you sell.A person might just be there to buy headphones, but you HAVE to find a way to sell 10$ worth of batteries AND sell a 10$ warranty. If not your managers will condescend you and the following morning the DM will asking why this and this couldn't meet their numbers and if they cant meet them today, to be on "probation" which means your getting fired if you raise your numbers up. Also despite this little commission, fellow employees are rabid for any customers that do buy cellphones, as if the commission was great. Don't be fooled, these people will stab you in the back for 14$. Also they had these "Wireless consultants" which meant they got paid 9.25$ for staying by the door, and selling cell phones. That was it. They would not help stocking up the boxes or customers waiting in line. They literally stood by the door all day doing nothing all while regular "sales associates" had to clean the store, stock up, help customers, AND meet your numbers which consisted of the exact same goals as the wireless consultants. McDonalds pay more than this and is less stressful. I am happy I quit. It was ridiculous.

Stop with all these commission cuts and pay everyone for the amount of work they do and deserve.

Horrible Experience...Don't even bother!

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Aurora, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time for more than a year

Pros

As far as the company there is none.
    Co-workers with good personality made the job more tolerable.

Cons

Lack of respect from upper management to employees.
    Constantly made to feel like your replaceable
    Lack of appreciation
    Horrible Wage
    Hired as a part-time, required to work full-time hours without the benefits of a full time employee.
    Stores are in major need of repair

Be respectful to employees, it can go a long way!

Only if you really need a job!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Frankfort, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Frankfort, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time for less than a year

Pros

Financial Benefits:
    Good employee discount deals on cell phone contracts
    Employee discount is decent

The employees I worked with were pretty nice and overall good people.

Cons

Our store manager was sometimes too busy getting her nails done and I was left alone in the store multiple times, even as a new employee. Radio Shack also wants you to up sell (a lot), even to the point where we would bargain with the customer that they could return the item right after the transaction went through, just to make sure the store statistics were still in check. These same figures are also the ones that determine if they are going to keep you as an employee. It's a sales position first, which I understand and it's not for everyone (it wasn't for me) but the stuff we did in our store just to make the numbers come out right....is that really value for the customer?

Focus on the customer. What do they need and what are they trying to do with the products at RadioShack. I think the stores also need to cut down on the clutter products and actually carry good products to compete with Best Buy and Amazon.

If you like a slow paced work atmosphere then radioshack is your place!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tinley Park, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tinley Park, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time for more than a year

Pros

Not a lot of customers so at times there was a lot of free time to watch T.V and sit around.

Cons

Benefits and compensation were terrible, sales goals were not weighted by the actual sales of the store and the traffic coming into the store.

Take care of your employees they are the ones that are making your business!

Sales Associate...Blah!

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time  in  Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Evanston, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sales experience, provided that most associates have no sales experience. A marginal discount on Cell phone providers via employee line (which is a pain to coordinate but is dependent on your representative).

Cons

Low and ever changing pay structures can cause any employee to ask themselves: "Why am I doing this?".

Stop calling sooo many meetings at HQ. Try to find a pay structure that is fair. Try to find a solid direction for this company and stick to it.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!