RadioShack Reviews

• Chicago, IL Area
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. Not a job you want to stay with for a long time.

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Probably the only good thing about working here is knowing the fact that people come to YOU for help. this is a great environment for you to be yourself (that's if customer service is your thing) having that one on one experience is what makes you feel good about your work and is probably the only thing worth working for because commission is so bad. Besides the extra perks here and there like discounts on contract wireless carriers and 50% off store brand merchandise there is nothing much more to brag about..

Cons

I don't even know where to start. I guess I can start off with the pay. The base pay is minimum wage and commission i believe last time i heard was 1% of whatever contract wireless device you would sell, so if a galaxy s5 is retail value at $649 you're pretty much only getting 6 bucks out of that phone sale. You can get the idea on how commission is paid by radioshack. You would think that a sales associate would make more than minimum wage if they are expected to sell all 3 major wireless carriers and be knowledgeable about every single item in the store from soldering to audio cable. That just comes to show how radioshack treats their employees. They demand and demand but don't give back. I would not recommend working here if you work for a living. Unless you're only using this job as a step stool to work for big companies like apple, Verizon or sprint i recommend not to work at radioshack.

Advice to Management

Instead of figuring out ways to make more money by being greedy figure out a way to keep your employees happy and dedicated to work. Maybe you guys should research a bit on how some major successful companies like Southwest airlines keeps making raising profits every single year.

No recognition

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Probably the only good thing about working here is the discounts you get on your phone/s. You can have one for each carrier. Depending on your relationship with your coworkers it might be fun, and just the overall retail experience.

Cons

Everything. So much work with absolutely no recognition. No raises EVER unless you're a manager and get promoted to a higher volume store. They're constantly changing the commission and every time they changed it, it was worse. Your job is always being threatened. The turn over rate is ridiculous. It's just not worth the stress for minimum wage. If you get hired here I would suggest getting a couple months of experience, then applying with the actual cell phone carriers. Their pay rate is at least three dollars more per hour in my city.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the policies/pay rate every three months. Stop firing long time employees for stupid reasons without conducting proper investigations. If you're going to preach "Lead by example" you should start doing it.

3. To much expectation for little pay

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got to see the new things as they came out. Good employee discount and concession promotions and discounts for the contract carriers.

Cons

Long hours for store manager (60-80) a week. Non-exempt managers over time pay is horrible. Over load on tasks and impossible deadlines. 6 day work weeks year round. Life revolves around being at the store. Required to work all weekends and all holidays.

Advice to Management

Work with store managers to get realistic dead lines and be clear on what is wanted and not leave us in the dark 99% of the time. And have it so managers have a reason and want to work more than 48 hours a week with better salaries and for non-exempt managers better overtime pay.

As a Store Manager you learn many facets of running a business.

Former Employee - Radioshack Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Radioshack Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros of working at this company....You meet people from all walks of life and create opportunities to "network". You also learn to work within a given budget and how to maximize profits! Profits equal Bonus for this is a commission driven business.

Cons

Typically, new store managers are given the lowest budget stores with high inventory losses...which of course can affect your profits....and therefore your commissions.

Advice to Management

Often new store managers are promoted or given a store based on their consistent high sales performance. Very little training is focused on the operations side of the business; which is just as important as the sales. More focus should be given on handling the operations side of the business to produce more rounded store managers....and therefore highers sales forecasts!

RadioShack is not paying employees worth even though I love what Radioshack does for its customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in West Dundee, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in West Dundee, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn to be a cashier, sell contract and prepaid phones, get sales experience, and learn about some tech stuff I would have never learned otherwise.

Cons

The pay is not worth the sacrifice. I have had to handle an entire in mall store by myself more than a few times, and have had to handle a few manager duties. I don't get paid for all the extra things I do. Many customers come in and and have to wait because there are very few of us at the store during big rush hours and we have to handle them all. Just last night I handle three customers at once. Once Contract phone, One return, and running a line for people buying simple products. The worst part is our three immediate management higher ups all left the company in the past two weeks. When district manager, regional manager, and my own manager leave all at once that usually means I got to book it out of their. Currently hanging in there for my coworkers but there is only so much one person can take.

Advice to Management

some of our products are very over priced and our competition online and a few other major competitors offer more at their stores. Don't like that I have to on a regular basis send our customers elsewhere for a product we don't have in stock when they want it that same day.

Pay People a living wage and show some respect to them!!

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed selling consumer electronics; I enjoyed the competitive atmosphere and I enjoyed managing my "own" business with some autonomy. I actually loved what I did... selling electronics, running a small store, managing a staff. I enjoyed looking at our numbers and figuring out (with my employees) how we could increased profits, boost dollar-per-ticket; things like that. It's was a good challenge and it was satisfying.

Cons

Salary is absolutely horrible for most managers. Store managers are expected to work 55-60 hours a week. At smaller stores, managers wind up making about 10 bucks an hour. Bonuses amount to 200-300 bucks a month.. if you qualify for them. Most don't. Manager pay for larger stores isn't quite that bad... up to 60-70K.. but there are few stores that large and those managers tend to hang around. Salaries, bonuses, and commissions of managers and sales associates have fallen dramatically over the years. As a sales associate back in the late early 00's, I was making 35-45K. In my last year as a Senior store manager, I was making 45K when I reached 65k at one point. And I kept working those 60 hour weeks. As a whole, upper management and district/regional managers are either incompetent or simply running scared. They don't know what to do with this company and what kind of direction to give it. They pay more attention to the position of a stapler in the desk than the really important parts of the bussiness. I'm talking about 572 and the rest of the region. Sales plan numbers often make no sense, and it's hard to see very good managers struggling to make unrealistic numbers.

Advice to Management

Stop shoving cell phones down the throat of every customer that walks in the door. Look at stores that work over time and figure out what those stores and those managers are doing right. More incentive pay, particularly for store managers in those smaller stores. Competent store managers should not be making 10 bucks and hour and working 60 hours a week. You can expect that people in this position are going to seriously think about leaving the company, even in an economic downturn.

Worst job ever.... Overworked and underpaid....

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is good on most products and the majority of the employees that you meet are friendly.

Cons

The pay is horrible, the amount of training that you have to go through is way too much considering how much you get paid, the comission stinks, the majority of the people in power don't lead by example, the hours vary too much, you can get written up for things that you can't control, they MAKE you call people as if you are a telemarketer, there are so much more that I can say but I think everyone gets the point.

Advice to Management

If you want your employees to care about your company than you have to treat your employees better. For starters, you should probably pay them more! One associate told me that they hate the fact that McDonalds employees make the same as us if not more but yet and still we have to know more about what we sell than they do! This is by far the worst job I ever had! The pay and management sucks! I made more money working jobs in highschool! this is not a job fit to support anyone over the age of 16 and yet you have to be 18 to work here. SMH @ The Shack!

9. Need to work on training of new Manager program.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to share mobile ideals with customers and staff.

Cons

Not getting paid enough for the job being done.

Advice to Management

Put more into training new managers.

10. Too much work not enough pay.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount.

Cons

Too much work not enough pay.

Low Wage, Poor Management and an Outdated Tech Model

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Morris, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Morris, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours The Opportunity to Learn New Information about Technology Discounts (If you stay long enough) Negligible Commissions

Cons

Poor Upper Management Products in store were novel, at best, and unlikely to sell at worst Management was consistently profane, even in front of customers and scheduled employee hours based on the manager's own personal obligations Paid Minimum Wage for Part-Time, but pressed to perform Managerial duties, such as store closings and money deposits, without any increase in compensation or the provision of benefits. A Dying Franchise

Advice to Management

I'm not sure how Management is chosen for the Chicagoland area, but they should be required to undergo training in professionalism and proper attire. It's neither acceptable nor productive for managers to arrive at work wearing whatever they choose, swear in front of the customers and insult their employees and then require those same employees to be the utmost professionals at all times. Furthermore, products sold in stores need to be relevant (i.e. don't be selling old cassette players and cheap novelties and especially not PS3 bundles when everybody wants the PS4. We lost MAJOR sales because of their absence!) Also, serious consideration needs to be given to the equipment and software being used in stores. When an electronics store is using 10 year old computers with Windows XP that freeze up all the time instead of Up-to-Date equipment, that sends a poor message to customers. Lastly, in the same vein, please update the Radioshack POS system so that it's a little more efficient' it's way overdue for a serious makeover.

Showing 44 of 1,985 reviews