RadioShack

2.4
1,496 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 144 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no concern for their employees unless they are chosen favorites (in 161 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 139 reviews)

More Highlights

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Only if you really need a job!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Frankfort, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Frankfort, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Financial Benefits:
    Good employee discount deals on cell phone contracts
    Employee discount is decent

The employees I worked with were pretty nice and overall good people.

Cons

Our store manager was sometimes too busy getting her nails done and I was left alone in the store multiple times, even as a new employee. Radio Shack also wants you to up sell (a lot), even to the point where we would bargain with the customer that they could return the item right after the transaction went through, just to make sure the store statistics were still in check. These same figures are also the ones that determine if they are going to keep you as an employee. It's a sales position first, which I understand and it's not for everyone (it wasn't for me) but the stuff we did in our store just to make the numbers come out right....is that really value for the customer?

Focus on the customer. What do they need and what are they trying to do with the products at RadioShack. I think the stores also need to cut down on the clutter products and actually carry good products to compete with Best Buy and Amazon.

Horrible Experience...Don't even bother!

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Aurora, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As far as the company there is none.
    Co-workers with good personality made the job more tolerable.

Cons

Lack of respect from upper management to employees.
    Constantly made to feel like your replaceable
    Lack of appreciation
    Horrible Wage
    Hired as a part-time, required to work full-time hours without the benefits of a full time employee.
    Stores are in major need of repair

Be respectful to employees, it can go a long way!

If you like a slow paced work atmosphere then radioshack is your place!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tinley Park, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tinley Park, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not a lot of customers so at times there was a lot of free time to watch T.V and sit around.

Cons

Benefits and compensation were terrible, sales goals were not weighted by the actual sales of the store and the traffic coming into the store.

Take care of your employees they are the ones that are making your business!

Sales Associate...Blah!

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Evanston, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sales experience, provided that most associates have no sales experience. A marginal discount on Cell phone providers via employee line (which is a pain to coordinate but is dependent on your representative).

Cons

Low and ever changing pay structures can cause any employee to ask themselves: "Why am I doing this?".

Stop calling sooo many meetings at HQ. Try to find a pay structure that is fair. Try to find a solid direction for this company and stick to it.

Not terrible, but not great

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since they pay Spiffs for cell-phone sales, you can control how much you get paid, to an extent since they pay minimum wage. If you get everything done, you can have some downtime.

Cons

Takes a while to become acclimated with the many products, procedures. If you go full-time, you pick up a ton of responsibility... so much so it will likely hinder your cell phone sales, which is pretty much the reason to work. No pay raises, ever. Benefits are mediocre at best.

Better training is necessary. Hiring process questionairre is probably not the best solution to seed out the best recruits.

Politics

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a sales representative it was fun, competitive, flexible, challenging, teammates if the management implemented this in their circle.

Cons

As a sales manager after some years it came down to who have you knew and had who were your comrades to get to the next level and you will wait until upper management has changed the culture to not promote from within the talent pool anymore since all these other companies have been shutting down.

Do not slip on the banana peel since it is an At Will Employment Company like so many others. Have an education backup plan so you are an indispensable asset.

Jump of the Tintanic

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago Heights, IL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good employee discounts and job flexibility

Cons

Pay, middle management, senior management, marketing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sell the company or fire every executive in Ft. Worth right now. I have worked for the company for 7 years. I have my pay cut 3 times. We have peiple in the marketing department who can't put a decent marketing plan together. I have a degree in the field and serve as a freelance marketing consultant (for no pay). Management is horrible (middle and senior). They make us push everything one everyone. They measure everything they create new metrics weekly. For every one good job you get you get chewed out over little things. Also its not like I am some person complaining. I am constantly in the top tier in my region in the key metrics they measure employees. Upper management does not listen to anyone on the sales floor if the understood how difficult it can be to do our job at times and the fact that they dont do much to aid us they would change there ways.
    Also the marketing department should be fired NOW!!!!! They changed our target market to the welfare/ poor crowd. This is bad because they want us to add accessories to everything he is the catch they DON'T HAVE MONEY NOR CREDIT. We need to switch to a high end retaler. Give our customers who as a whole are great and the reason i go to work every day and give my best more of and intenctive to buy more. This co.pany has potiental but management is to proud or to ignorant to make the changes necessary.

Faat paced fast cash

Current Employee - Target Mobile Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Target Mobile Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

fun flexible hours great new manager working experience

Cons

constantly consistant needs more for what we do

neeeds more incenitives to keep us happy

Worse career choice I ever made.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

It's not difficult manual labor.

Cons

Salaried store managers are required to work six days a week at 65+ hours. Full-time hourly employees are given 32 (sometimes as low as 29) hours a week. Part-time hourly employees can receive as low as 4 hours a week (or sometimes not be scheduled at all in a week). Most of the work falls on salaried managers.

Upper management is unavailable and unreachable (district manager not answering/returning phone calls or replying to emails).

As a store manager you are told to hit unrealistically high sales targets- or else be replaced. You will not be given any instructions or suggestions how to obtain the targets, just threatened with your job if you don't attain them.

Store managers are expected to work from home by being on conference calls that can last at least an hour or more. Calls are twice a week or more.

The workload is astronomical! There are currently checklists for checklists and pages of them! In a given day there is not enough time to do everything they want done, and they still pile more work on the store. You have to find ways to help customers and get the enormous amount of work done.

Bonuses don't happen (they change the rules all the time). You never make the amount of money they say you will when you were interviewed.

You end up living and breathing for a company that clearly thinks very little of you.

Find a different approach of motivating and obtaining targets other than firing and replacing employees and managers.

The workload needs to be reduced so stores can focus more on customer service.

Why are you treating your employees so poorly and overworking them?

no freedom

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

discounts
    employee wireless plans
    jean uniform
    learning about gadgets

Cons

lack of compassion for personal lives
    no support from regional manager or then district manager at the time
    over worked under paid
    always cutting hours forcing managers to work more hours
    if you complain youre placed on the black list
    no room for growth

i was fired without any prior write ups as a assoicate,asst manager or store manager

you should really consider a five day work week you would get better results from your managers