RadioShack

2.4 1,286 reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca

Joseph C. Magnacca

1,286 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Cell Phone Carrier Reps were very helpful and friendly"
    in 129 reviews
  • "Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount"
    in 73 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management was more focused on paper work than actually sales or sales related tasks"
    in 129 reviews
  • "All commissions on cell phones have been eliminated in favor as a flat percentage of sales"
    in 124 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good opportunity for a commission sales and management team.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    West Ocean City, MD

ProsTo be part of a team that does take care of customers service and make money.

ConsThe inventories never balance out takes away from life schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay optimistic and close the sale.

Distribution Center

Assembly Line (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsLots of opportunities for overtime pay.

ConsLong Hours, Lots of Temp workers. RadioShack had massive layoffs recently.

Don't love it, don't hate it.

Sales Associate - Part Time (Former Employee)
    Annapolis, MD

ProsLaid-back, good people, easy to get hired, rewarding (commission)

ConsUpper-level management is disconnected, training is pretty much non-existent, not much chance for promotion, long hours

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best if chosen as a first job.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsWorking with all sorts of customers, assisting with customer inquiries. Learning about the latest technologies.

ConsWay too pushy in selling. Not enough business. Very small variety of products. All radioshack thinks about is selling wireless contracts when customers only want what they came in to buy. RadioShack decides to her managers from outside of the company rather than promote from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementRadioshack should have their focuses elsewhere. Instead of pushing out wireless contracts and worrying about trying to sell every customer a wireless device. The main focus should be accessories that are sold with a product a customer buys, not trying to sell a phone to every customer that walks through the door. There can be customers coming in to buy batteries or a case for the phone that they already have and love, and here comes radioshack trying to sell the customer a whole different phone. Also have people from within the company be promoted to a higher position who actually knows how to operate a store instead of hiring people outside of the company as managers who don't know the first thing about radioshack

Over worked and under paid.

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Hillsborough, NJ

ProsGreat discount on select products and a nice employee cell phone plan with Verizon, ATT, and Sprint

ConsRadioShack expects the world from you and gives very little in return.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and pay them more and maybe you'll see improvement in the company.

Sales Associate & Assistant Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible with school during first 2 years

ConsPushed non effective products and insurance.

Grotesque

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCustomers, co-workers, it's a paycheck

ConsCustomers, co-workers, upper management,pay

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that aren't out for just their own personal reputation.... Get and keep people who care about what's going on!

Only stay with this job because leaving would cost me more to pay Obamacare monthly cost for insurance

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Camp Hill, PA

ProsMy store manage allows me to have a very flexible, when I am available schedule. I have the ability to get healthcare for $84 a month even though its a $4000 deductable. The job is easy if you have a high tolerance for idiotic mid management micromanagement and constant reminders that if you dont over work every customer and sell a cell phone you are not a good employee.

ConsConstantly changing pay structure that means less pay every time it supposedly changes for the better. The constant chatter from low to middle management , with continual threats of job loss for not following the constantly changing focus of sales. The continual change in how you must focus on constantly getting wireless phone sales, even to the point of knowing you are competing against lower prices on the internet. I constantly have customers come in to talk about wireless phones, then have them leave to go some where else to get the phone cheaper. Senseless conference calls lead by corporate cheerleaders and suck ups, who at times will tell you to do things a certain way, and may not realize the info they are sharing is wrong, many times it is a blatant lie. A daily focus on numbers drives a normal person nuts. The micro management on a daily basis is mind numbing, and advertised policies that are not followed. we offer price guarantee, but if another wireless competitor is advertising a much lower price, the policy may not be enforced if a customer asks about it. The recent threat of store closings brought about the loss of many better employees so now many much less knowledgable employees are running stores. The constant focus on selling warranties, cell phones, and getting emails will drive a person insane.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking money away from the little people. let the store sales people have a little ability to think not follow a script which will in the long run will drive customers away from the store

Focused on all the wrong things

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat store atmosphere at most locations, innovative internal blogging system to exchange and discuss info with all employees, up to 50% discount on most items in store, skills learned can be taken to other jobs

ConsHuge focus on wireless which has seen a huge decline the past year or two and minimum wage base pay with 2% commission which is tied into the wireless sales that happen less and less each month. I have seen store managers hired and put on the floor two weeks later with hardly any training. Internal promotion is possible and common, but store managers have very little work/life balance as they are required to be in the store 53 hours a week and they do not adjust based on store hours so it is not uncommon for a manager to arrive at the store an hour/hour and a half early just to make the weekly requirement. A lot of undue pressure to get phones out the door can sometimes create an unhealthy environment for the customer and other associates, especially if you are unlucky enough to work in a store that does not sell contract phones as often as RadioShack thinks it should. Meanwhile stock is declining daily and earlier in the year the CEO announced the closing of several thousand stores and then revoked it some weeks later but did not see fit to announce that; customers still come in asking if we're closing several times a day. Management pay is pathetic; assistant managers make 20% more than minimum wage and store managers (at least in my district) average about 26k a year (with the opportunity for bonuses if you manage to beat your ridiculous sales goal that you most probably won't).

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to get rid of wireless. It's tired and old and customers just don't care like they used to. You would see a lot more satisfied customers if you took a look at what they are TRULY coming in for. Take a look at an average income store's tickets, look at what they're buying. I'd also love to see DMs more active on the sales floors. DMs are where they are because they were great salespeople, I'd like to be able to learn something from them.

Once a great supportive environment, now abusive

Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Worcester, MA

ProsFew pro's to put here. Managers have control over who they hire, giving them the chance to secure highly intelligent and high performing employees.

ConsHigh stress, little reward. Advancement is very limited. Hard to retain good employees. Senior management obsessed with metrics over actual results. Very poor employee moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employees of the stores. They are the face of the company. The happier and more motivated they are, the better they perform. Also, it will create a better shopping experience for customers, who will stay longer, return more often and spend more. You will retain more high performing associates and managers. You will increase your customer traffic. Also, Promoting from within needs to be to higher levels. A long time career path was what led me to become a manager. I had ambitions of working my way up in the company, but hiring District managers from outside showed me that path was closed.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!

RadioShack Videos

RadioShack – Why Work for Us?

Why RadioShack? RadioShack has created a loyal following of customers through our associates' expertise and collaborative spirit with consumers, celebrating the longstanding idea that "two heads are better than one… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RadioShack reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca. All 1,286 reviews posted anonymously by RadioShack employees.