RadioShack

Updated Jul 21, 2014

2.4 1,297 reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca

Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Cell Phone Carrier Reps were very helpful and friendly(in 134 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount(in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is horrible upper management does not really care about the associates(in 138 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold(in 131 reviews)

1,297 Employee Reviews

Worst place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthis is absolutely the worst company to work for

ConsDistrict manager and upper management all they do its micromanage their managers and make them work extra, they only report 40hrs on their W2 when its mandatory work 60hrs a week

Advice to Senior Managementstop micromanaging your employees and give better incentives.

The ROC doesn't rock

Technician VI (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsThere are a lot of good people here, and the schedules can be flexible. A good entry level place to learn all you can and get out.

ConsWorking in the op center is like working for a different company. They are perpetually understaffed, and you will quickly realize that you are underpaid. When there are "opportunities" to advance or grow, if you are lucky enough to be one of the people pre-chosen for the position, don't expect a raise or a title change.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many managers in the op center, and the salaries are not competitive in the least.

Downhill path

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNone that I can think of.

ConsNo products that the consumer wants.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou put all your eggs in the cell phone basket, and look what happened.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

sales

Manager In Training (Former Employee) Lansing, MI

Prosincentive to sale product to consumers

Conslow wages, horrible management , crappy work place

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees better an up the wages

Failing company

Prosflexible hours, good if you're a student.

Conschange their pay plans every 6 months to make sure the company keeps most of the profit. Sales associate doesn't earn much from the commission.

Advice to Senior Managementvery little.

Poor motivational structure, and pushes into flooded markets rather than finding their own.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsNot much besides they're still in business.

ConsThe cell phone market today is flooded: there is a carrier store on every corner of every major city. Radioshack struggles to make it's way into this market by pushing post paid sales (which they make very little profit on anyway) and uses those sales numbers as a gauge for employee effectiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmarten up and find something other than phones that can make your last 4 quarters of losses turn around. America today is moving ever more to project and hobbyist so taking a leap of faith and pushing on the DIY/DIT solutions might actually see better results. Finally, no matter what you are pushing, MAKE SURE YOU PUT THAT ITEM IN YOUR COMMERCIALS. in all the recent radio shack commercials, there has not been a single cell phone. if you really rate cell phones as much of a priority as you do, then show the public that we have them.

"Iceberg Ahead!!!!"

Store Manager (Former Employee) Patchogue, NY

ProsWorking with employees, good employees discounts, 401k plan.

ConsRadio shack is like the Titanic searching for an iceberg. All they are doing is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Constant changes in what they want to focus on. Asking to much from the customer. For the last 2 years
    from the DM up it's what have you done for me lately??? Constant conference calls on the negatives and nothing on the positives. RM sending out emails calling out poor a stores performances to the entire region instead of a one on one email or phone call. You never hear a good job if you beat your numbers, just "you could of done better." Constant lies from DM on visits, promotions, pay raises, etc. Being told you have to work 6 days a week when the entire company has a 5 day work week. Store managers are treated like a sales associate instead of a manager. DM want the manager to do planograms, wash front windows, clean up in front of the building, set goals, store operations, and sell. Company cuts back hours to 150 hours where the manager has to work 52 of those and has 5 other employees to fill the schedule is not possible with store being open 81 hours a week. No raises in 2 years. Beat LY by 50% and you still don't make bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat Store managers with respect. From RM to DM. They need how to speak to store managers. They think they can say anything they want in anyway they want. They want respect and should give respect back. DM needs to be trained on how to speak to managers and employees. Just because you supposedly ran a good store and was promoted to DM doesn't mean they know how to treat or speak to people. Constantly being told your underperforming and never told good job isn't good for moral. Beat LY by 50% and you still don't make bonus. A

Focused on all the wrong things

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat store atmosphere at most locations, innovative internal blogging system to exchange and discuss info with all employees, up to 50% discount on most items in store, skills learned can be taken to other jobs

ConsHuge focus on wireless which has seen a huge decline the past year or two and minimum wage base pay with 2% commission which is tied into the wireless sales that happen less and less each month. I have seen store managers hired and put on the floor two weeks later with hardly any training. Internal promotion is possible and common, but store managers have very little work/life balance as they are required to be in the store 53 hours a week and they do not adjust based on store hours so it is not uncommon for a manager to arrive at the store an hour/hour and a half early just to make the weekly requirement. A lot of undue pressure to get phones out the door can sometimes create an unhealthy environment for the customer and other associates, especially if you are unlucky enough to work in a store that does not sell contract phones as often as RadioShack thinks it should. Meanwhile stock is declining daily and earlier in the year the CEO announced the closing of several thousand stores and then revoked it some weeks later but did not see fit to announce that; customers still come in asking if we're closing several times a day. Management pay is pathetic; assistant managers make 20% more than minimum wage and store managers (at least in my district) average about 26k a year (with the opportunity for bonuses if you manage to beat your ridiculous sales goal that you most probably won't).

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to get rid of wireless. It's tired and old and customers just don't care like they used to. You would see a lot more satisfied customers if you took a look at what they are TRULY coming in for. Take a look at an average income store's tickets, look at what they're buying. I'd also love to see DMs more active on the sales floors. DMs are where they are because they were great salespeople, I'd like to be able to learn something from them.

Only stay with this job because leaving would cost me more to pay Obamacare monthly cost for insurance

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Camp Hill, PA

ProsMy store manage allows me to have a very flexible, when I am available schedule. I have the ability to get healthcare for $84 a month even though its a $4000 deductable. The job is easy if you have a high tolerance for idiotic mid management micromanagement and constant reminders that if you dont over work every customer and sell a cell phone you are not a good employee.

ConsConstantly changing pay structure that means less pay every time it supposedly changes for the better. The constant chatter from low to middle management , with continual threats of job loss for not following the constantly changing focus of sales. The continual change in how you must focus on constantly getting wireless phone sales, even to the point of knowing you are competing against lower prices on the internet. I constantly have customers come in to talk about wireless phones, then have them leave to go some where else to get the phone cheaper. Senseless conference calls lead by corporate cheerleaders and suck ups, who at times will tell you to do things a certain way, and may not realize the info they are sharing is wrong, many times it is a blatant lie. A daily focus on numbers drives a normal person nuts. The micro management on a daily basis is mind numbing, and advertised policies that are not followed. we offer price guarantee, but if another wireless competitor is advertising a much lower price, the policy may not be enforced if a customer asks about it. The recent threat of store closings brought about the loss of many better employees so now many much less knowledgable employees are running stores. The constant focus on selling warranties, cell phones, and getting emails will drive a person insane.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking money away from the little people. let the store sales people have a little ability to think not follow a script which will in the long run will drive customers away from the store

Grotesque

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCustomers, co-workers, it's a paycheck

ConsCustomers, co-workers, upper management,pay

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that aren't out for just their own personal reputation.... Get and keep people who care about what's going on!

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!